[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wow, it's almost like modularity in phones is a dumb idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: ss.png (456KB, 1108x676px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
456KB, 1108x676px
Wow, it's almost like modularity in phones is a dumb idea
>>
It's not dumb, it's just that normalfags don't want it and therefore companies can't make fat stacks of whores-and-cocaine money from it.
>>
Really makes you think doesn't it?

If smartphones are computers just like desktops are computers, and no one wants modular smartphones, then that could only mean no one wants upgradeable PCs. meme
>>
File: moto-mods.jpg (20KB, 670x450px) Image search: [Google]
moto-mods.jpg
20KB, 670x450px
>>58363765
LG G5 was just a disappointment. Motoro... I mean Lenovo does it right so far.
>>
>>58363802
>abandon an obviously terrible fucking idea
>b.. b.. b.. but MUH NORMIES
>>
>>58363765
I also agree to this opinion, anonymous.

A modular phone can never be as thin, fast and sleek as the Apple(tm) iPhone 7(tm) and iPhone 7 Plus (tm).

Their groundbreaking design and revolutionary operating system provides the best mobile experience possible. It also already allows full customizability, with your choice of colour and storage space.

Starting at $749.

I am proud to be an unbiased, unpaid supporter of this product.
>>
Modular phones are not gonna work as long as it's a meme for a single device from a single company and there is no shared standard, which goes against the companies' interests
>>
>>58363953
People will unironically reply to this post because /g/ is easier to bait than literally any board
>>
File: CAN'T SOMEONE ELSE DO THE WORK.png (159KB, 1001x299px) Image search: [Google]
CAN'T SOMEONE ELSE DO THE WORK.png
159KB, 1001x299px
>muh phoenblox hipster idea
>>
File: Everything I say is right.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Everything I say is right.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
>>58363886
he's right though, the reason phones are so homogeneous these days is that margins on them are thin and only Apple and sometimes Samsung have any pricing power. Everyone else needs big volumes to turn a profit on anything they make. That means anything they make has to be something that appeals to a broad audience. There's no room for niche devices in the market. They won't sell enough units to make back their development costs, at any price.

also this >>58364099, companies very much try to avoid making anything that will work with any other company's equipment. Shared standards are good for consumers, because they broaden competition and drive margins down. That's why companies hate them.
>>
>>58363832
What people don't understand is how difficult it is to be a computer engineer. The amount of engineering that goes into each phone is a lot more stricter than what happens in a laptop.
>>
>>58364229
Holy shit this makes me mad. Like what's the fucking point of being a startup if you'll just wait till the market already implements your idea? Take one for the fucking team and innovate...
>>
>>58363832
actually, it is a chore for me to even think about upgrading my PC. It's either going to be unbalanced, like having one of the stats on max, or you're going to replace almost all of the core parts following an upgrade of graphics card, for example.
>>
>>58364588
>Like what's the fucking point of being a startup
scam some money out of clueless VCs, pay yourself and some buddies a fat salary for a while, close up shop when your idea doesn't sell and they won't cough up more.

This is the business plan for at least half of all startups
>>
>>58363765
it really isn't in the end, at least not an ara-style design

phones don't do anything productive that requires a non-standard interface that a real computer won't do infinitely better

no shitty overpriced camera module with a tiny ass sensor and shit lenses will be worth it over a real camera for someone who actually needs something better than what smartphones already offer

whatever shit frame you buy will be absolute trash by the time an upgrade makes a difference thanks to the death of moore's law slowing practical advancement to a crawl

the potential increase in hardware diversity opens the potential for more bugs and shitty software optimization, and imagine how garbage android support will be when even big OEMs can't support their own devices with fixed configuration for more than a few months

it will be inherently bulkier, shittier and more fragile

it's a meme for /v/-crossboarding hipsters who cobbled together a gaming shitbox from a logicalincrements guide and fancy themselves enlightened for it
>>
>>58363765
I actually bought a G5 at launch and was really excited about the modularity of it and what the future might hold. Well guess what it held. A camera module that is only good at making you feel like a real photographer while adding nothing of true value and a DAC module that is only compatible with the EU version of the phone and NOT with the US version. Seriously that's all. What the actual fuck. If this thing dies I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a OPO3t
>>
I think modular phones are retarded. By the time I'm ready to get a new phone, my current one is usually pretty worn. Not fucked up, but just well worn and a fresh, new phone is nice.

also imagine dropping your phone and the shit just explodes into like 5 or 6 pieces.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.