[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Nvidia Shield TV worth getting? Currently own a Nexus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1460529413999.jpg (62KB, 1093x510px) Image search: [Google]
1460529413999.jpg
62KB, 1093x510px
Is the Nvidia Shield TV worth getting? Currently own a Nexus Player and Roku 4 (which I'm letting someone have). The Nexus Player is nearly unusably slow, has zero support, cannot do Amazon Video and most all apps are unsupported for it.

I'm trying to find a decent media center device for Plex/Netflix/Prime Video/Game Streaming (like Steam Link). This seems like a decent device but I'm uncertain if the Nexus Player speaks for the Android TV environment or are all the problems associated with it just due to device support? Is the interface on Nvida Shields good and responsive, and does it have decent app support? I really only ask because the price tag for these devices is far a bit more than other competitors like Roku and other setups.
>>
I picked one up a year ago for $150 during their Black Friday sale.

Remote and controller were both trash (have flaky capacitive touch buttons instead of real ones). It sounds like this has been remedied with the refresh/new revision. If the router dies sometimes it takes 2 reboots for the ethernet to come back and get an IP address via DHCP. Seems like an Android bug more than a Shield bug. That's really the only problems I ever had with it.

I've been using mine the whole time for Kodi/Netflix and did a bit of game streaming and it always worked really well for me.
>>
>>58360817
Can't you just get a chromecast if you only need a streaming device?
>>
>>58361541
The remote bugs are likely just due to Bluetooth on android being rather trash. I think the Roku uses some proprietary radio channel to avoid those problems.
>>
>>58361646
Doesn't chromecast require direct connection from a laptop or phone? I want an independent device I can leave attached to a TV that guests can use.
>>
File: Nvidia recall.png (448KB, 657x724px) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia recall.png
448KB, 657x724px
>>58360817
HOUSEFIRE THREAT DETECTED
CALL THE RIGHT WING SAFETY SQUADS
>>
>>58361655
The old model controller used wi-fi direct. And it has nothing to do with that anyway, the capacitive buttons on the controller were just kind of broken. Like you'd hit the back arrow 20 times and it would register once.
>>
It's not worth getting anymore. Get the Nintendo Switch that is coming out with the upgraded Nvidia hardware.
>>
>>58361847
Forgot to mention, and other button presses would work fine. It was like the buttons themselves were broken. Maybe just poor QC. Anyway seems they've ditched them anyway.

Not sure about the remote. I switch to a Logitech + FLIRC for IR control.
>>
>>58361862

I doubt the Nintendo Switch will support Android apps senpai.
>>
>>58361671
>Doesn't chromecast require direct connection from a laptop or phone?

The Chromecast shares the same protocols as network printers. It accepts commands from every device on its connected network.

If your guests are on your wifi, they can queue up videos, photos and music by pressing the cast button in a compatible app.

It's a great concept and it's why most TV manufacturers are building the thing into their TVs. The Google Cast API is also compatible with most platforms so app developers can easily send their content to the big screen without the need to build TV apps.
>>
>>58361930
>If your guests are on your wifi
I don't give out wifi passwords immediately to all guests, especially when having house parties. That many connections would easily cause network issues.
>>
>>58361731
you're a fucking sperg, that's the shield tablet, OP is talking about the shield TV.
>>
>>58360817
it's like a computer for dumb/lazy people?
>>
>>58362332
It's like a regular TV device with an actual designed interface. Navigating a computer on a screen 12 feet or more away from you is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>58362542
yeah, lazy
>>
>>58362968
>"hey babe, lemme just log in first, sort through folders, and pull up the media file I want. I just gotta run to the cabinet to get the keyboard out, ah wait it's not connecting, lemme just check the dongle, aw shit lemme try another port. Aw I don't have it, but no matter. Okay here we go, let me just log into wifi, open up chrome and-shit windows is updating. Well, this will just be a few... hey where are you going?"
>>
>>58360817

Got the base version 16gb wired it up to NAS over ethernet and use Kodi to handle all my shows and movies and I could not be more pleased with it. Seeking and 4k content plays quick and without error

Amazon video app is coming soon to Shield it was pictured in a leaked press release
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.