[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GeForce Now, a cloud-based game streaming service priced from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: NVIDIA-GeForce-Now_8-800x462.jpg (34KB, 800x462px) Image search: [Google]
NVIDIA-GeForce-Now_8-800x462.jpg
34KB, 800x462px
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14173696/nvidia-geforce-now-pc-mac-client-march

That's $1.25 an hour.

And no, you have to buy your own games. You load your Steam or Origin account on GeForce Now, and you get to play the games on those accounts.

>being so afraid of cannibalizing GPU sales, they shoot the new product in foot even before the race starts, ensuring it's DOA

Isn't this how companies die?

>inb4 gb2/v/
>>
I was too lazy to calculate the total cost but Engadget did.
>If you only played two hours a day, you'd spend $912 for a year of NVIDIA GeForce Now gaming.

$200 for the shield plus that means it's a service for retards.
>>
Yes it is shit, but it will hardly cannibalize GPU sales when it's clearly intended to be used on platforms where having a good GPU isn't possible, like macs and shitty laptops.
>>
>$1.25

Almost costs as much as renting a Windows-based Tesla server from Azure.
>>
>>58338538
Or use a thunderbolt eGPU. Prices for the enclosures should hopefully be going down to sane levels.
>>
But when Sony does it!
>>
>>58338463
>you have to buy your own games

wait, what? it's not like playstation now?
that's beyond retarded
>>
>Onlive
>Tachyons
Went so well before.
>>
>>58338528
buying 1k PC that will perform well for at least 3 years is 200% cheaper?
>>
File: Onlive[1].jpg (51KB, 800x410px) Image search: [Google]
Onlive[1].jpg
51KB, 800x410px
>>
That's just an incentive to buy a low-mid range graphics card for indie games and CS:GO and when you actually want to play a AAA game, which happens like once a year, you just rent "muh graphics" for a couple hours.

It still won't work because of bandwidth limitations and latency.
>>
>>58338463
Looks like its a HPC rent system. The GPU alone cost about $4000, so it would make sense to rent it out few hours at a time to get the most bang/buck if you're a researcher in need of some small time.
>>
>>58338793
It's locked to one of the more popular game platforms like Steam, Origin, Gog, etc.

You can't run arbitrary program on it and use it as a CUDA compute service.
>>
What a joke, only idiots will buy this.
>>
>>58338763
Pretty much.
>>
>>58338816
Delete this
>>
>$30 for a day - 24 hours
>$900 for a month (30 days) - 720 hours
fuck off
>>
>>58339743
You're not going to be playing games for a month straight.
>>
>>58339775
Of course not, but it does build up to a month length one time, which is still too much.
You might have well build a good enough PC at the start.
>>
>>58338816

So /v/ will be all over it.
>>
>>58339811
See >>58338528 and >>58338816 and >>58338763
>>
File: LJvj1FQ.png (537KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
LJvj1FQ.png
537KB, 640x960px
>>58338528
Now I agree with your math, but there are people out there who don't play two hours a day every day. People who do a lot less than that will be better served by buying their own hardware, but I can see this filling a niche for people who want to game on PC but don't actually play that much.
>>
>>58339892
Yes, I know it's overpriced.
>>
Great news!
>>
File: Toad.gif (634KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Toad.gif
634KB, 250x188px
>>58338463
>Pricing will start at $25 for 20 hours of play, but there will be multiple GPU tiers open to users, with streams that offer more advanced graphics costing more
>Pricing will start at $25 for 20 hours
>more advanced graphics costing more
>PRICING WILL START AT
>COSTING MORE
>>
UNHINGED JUDAISM
>>
What if you accidentally leave a game running, are they going to charge you for being idle? What if you want to replay a game from the beginning again?
>>
>>58344382
>yfw they figure out a way to charge you for in-game sleep time
>>
>>58338613
well that is basically what is happening.

afaik geforce now is basically a huge vmware cluster taking advantage of nvidia's gpu passthrough capabilities.

They've been spruiking it for a few years.
>>
This is why you buy a Nintendo Switch
>>
>>58338763
Over 3 years that is $3k, you can buy a hell of a computer for that much money.
>>
>>58338463
The value goes through the roof once developers start offering their old games for free. Maybe even things like free weekends.

Or perhaps a cheaper/free tier with ad integration.
>>
>>58347277
You can also pirate on it ;^)
>>
>>58338463
>you have to buy your own games
what's the point then?
>>
Who fucking cares.
>>
nvidia you stupid faggots this is my idea. Creating gamestreaming servers and allowing kids to play high end games on their macbooks and raping their parents bank accounts is the only solace I have and you're starting the fucking bar at 25 an HOUR?

this is great I can charge literally whatever I want
>>
>>58338463
WTF i hate nvidia now
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.