[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: FreeNAS+banner[1].png (70KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
FreeNAS+banner[1].png
70KB, 720x340px
Is FreeNAS just a meme?

I've got a gigabit local network all around, my main box to serve up NFS shares to VMs, a target of Veeam backups, and legally owned multimedia server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 (core) with 16GB ECC RAM and a dual 10/100/1000 pcie NIC that is teamed active-active.

Storage is 12x3TB HDDs and 6x500GB SSDs +boot SSD. Am I not making the best of my situation? Can I get more throughout, iops, anything from switching to open sores
>>
It's pretty neat if you can get it up and running. My motherboard didn't like ZFS when they switched to ZFS boot partitions.
>>
>>58337659
I like that there's a webui for administration, if I could find a decent front end for bangblows I would do it. Just curious if there's any real benefit to it. Ive got most of my storage behind raid cards so if my OS dies Id retain data integrity for the stuff I care about
>>
>>58337682
Well, it's super easy to set up networked Windows backups through Microsoft's native back program, and OSX Time Machine backups as well. You can enable Samba, Apple Share, and Linux NFS. There are plugins for bit torrent, plex, and all kinds of other stuff. It's worth a look, just make sure your hardware is supported before diving in.
>>
ZFS or BTRFS are not that great with fuckhuge files (e.g. virtual machines virtual VDD).
>>
I currently have a FreeNAS setup.

But is there really any point? I hate the WebUI, and I don't like the plugin system. It's always out of date, and it's implemented via BSD jails. It's shitty to configure, and they all consume an IP address too.

What if I go with something like Rockstor or OMV instead, or a simpler "storage" solution?

What's wrong with this hypothetical setup:

- Proxmox VE Server virtualization management with KVM
-- VM with OpenMediaVault / Openfiler
-- VM with various applications like BitTorrent, Emby/Plex etc running
-- VM with backup

With the latter, I could keep everything updated nicely
>>
>>58340065
Whats wrong with installing a normal headless Debian and configuring whatever you want?
>>
>>58340191
Usability? FreeNAS/OpenFiler/Rockstor/OpenMediaVault has everything you need in one install. Time is expensive.

I have 2x E6506 CPU's, so a bunch of cores and threads to work with. I have another proxmox box running, so if I install proxmox on top, I'll be able to add it as a node and control it from there.

That said, FreeNAS 10 looks damned sharp. It removes my UI complaint entirely in fact.

But FreeNAS forces you to use ZFS - now that there's BTRFS, it might suck?
>>
I need a cheap and reliable SSD.
>>
Have any of you tried unRaid?
>>
>>58340306
BTRFS is still in the experimental stages. If you're using it, just be sure to have backups.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.