[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Libreoffice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10

File: libre-office4.png (159KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
libre-office4.png
159KB, 640x360px
Workable MS Office replacement, or FOSS meme? Which is it?
>>
>>58329550
It has a shitty GUI but that's being fixed next release. That's the only serious flaw it has.
>>
It's fucking garbage.
>>
>>58329550
I've been running it for years without any problems.
Getting better and better.
I see no reason for me to (ever again) run MS Office.
>>
It depends what you're doing.

Basic typing up documents and low level spreadsheet stuff? It's perfect.

If you're using a bunch of excel extensions and whatnot, just pay for excel.

I keep both around because I need excel but I like libreoffice draw.
>>
It's good for what 95% of people use it for. You'll run into problems if you need to so excessive formatting and export it back into a Word file.

Google docs isn't bad if you're not doing anything sensitive.
>>
>>58329853
>It has a shitty GUI
It is but MS Office's clogged artery that is the Ribbon isn't any better.
>>
It's 100% fine for K-12 and College which is what 90% of people need Office tools for anyway.

It's probably fine for business too but every work pc has MS Office installed on it anyway so that's a moot point.

tldr yes
>>
Terrible.
>>
>>58332254
>Which is it?
>tldr yes
>>
>>58332242
Yes it is anon, it is.
Alternative is Kingsoft Office. /thread
>>
I use OpenOffice.

literally no differences between word and this
>>
File: OFFICE.png (58KB, 1251x738px) Image search: [Google]
OFFICE.png
58KB, 1251x738px
>>58329550
Just finished my report in Writer and Calc. In the process of converting all my docs to .odt format which is 1:1 compatible with Google Docs.

Our office staff all use Google Docs. No one wants to pay for Office 365 license.
>>
>>58332242
>>58329853
We RIBBON now
>>
>>58329550
It is indeed workable and I do a lot of my work on there BUT it's really fucking bad, planning on switching to WPSOffice since it's actually a solid product, I honestly really wish they would just drop the whole codebase and start over instead of using openoffice shit as a base when they started, it would've been much more bearable if it was written by scratch, I despise forks
>>
>>58332687
Just use Google Docs? It just needs a browser, regardless of your OS. It allows you to export to pdf, office and open formats. All your shit is on the cloud drive so you can access and edit files through your phone, which is very helpful when traveling.
>>
File: 3445.jpg (52KB, 544x235px) Image search: [Google]
3445.jpg
52KB, 544x235px
>>58332687

Thanks, Pajeet.
>>
>>58332706
I'm not a Windows user or an Office user, I prefer LaTeX
>>
>>58332702
Can it be used offline on Windows?
>>
It's pretty awful. Lots of features but their implementation is terrible. Even for something simple like tables or pictures it's a mess to work with. Even pages in OSX is better for basic stuff than writer.
>>
It's pretty awesome since i forget how MS Office works and can't afford it anyway.
>>
>>58329550
Get WPS.
LibreOffice was good enough to get things done, but lack needed features.
>>
>>58331974
>libreoffice draw
What do you use this for?
>>
So, which one is the best one for typing?
I use writemonkey or something like that.
>>
>>58329550
Doesn't open password protected powerPoint presentations.
>>
The problem with "office replacements" is that you have to replace a lot of tools and you cannot do them differently.

Word might not the best way to write documents.
Powerpoint might not the best way to make presentations.
Excel might not the best way to do calculations (although it is good for a lot of things).

I personally prefer LaTeX now, but it took me a few months to fully adapt.
I use it for documents and presentations and it works really well for these.

I have used a lot of excel in the past, it is a good tool, but it is really poorly implemented.
It automatically translates functions to the local language which means you have to have every language installed on every system you might share documents with.
And some functions does not exist on every version of excel, so you might load a document, have it fail to translate, the user will be promted to save the changes and then you have a broken document.
>>
>>58329550
WPS has a better UI and compatability, but LibreOffice is enough for a large majority of office users, probably over 90% of people.
>>
>>58332639
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>58332749
Actual madman.
Had to do one project in school for it, took so fucking long.
Also, I would never be able to write notes in lecture with it.
>>
It is both at the same time!
>>
>>58329550
It's a replacement. This means that it can only aspire to be the same as Office. It's also trash for anything beyond the most basic use.
Prepare for losing all your work regardless of how many times you saved that complex, heavily formatted, 100 pages report.
>>
>>58329550
As long you dont need to edit documents done in the MS suite its quite competent, if you need to edit them you're in for quite a ride
>>
>>58333595
Graphs
>>
>>58335671
Wps steals your data.
>>
>>58329550
It's good but the fonts are aliased as fuck. Why has it been in development for years but still doesn't support ClearType?
>>
>>58329883
Windowsfags will always say this with no explanation because they just want to discredit anything that undermines their shitty fanboy OS. But they can never offer a valid explanation as to why LibreOffice is "bad". It's great, OP. Does everything MS Office does, and you don't even have to go through the hassle of pirating it.
>>
>>58329550
For our small non-profit, we've lived without MS Office for at least 4 years. LibreOffice does everything we need. I hope they never implement the ribbon abomination.
>>
>>58332639
Well at least it's done better than on MS Office.
>>
>>58337240
yea no
>>
>>58336658
You have nothing worth stealing in documents.
>>
File: 1477719438536.png (609KB, 600x952px) Image search: [Google]
1477719438536.png
609KB, 600x952px
LibreOffice is a meme
just use LaTeX like a sane human being
>>
>>58332637
>1:1 compatible
>cant into page styling properly
yeah no, i just tried.
It used the style from the first page for the rest of the document, messed up the fonts (which were embedded into the file), messed up the table of contents, and basically everything.

So maybe if you use plain text it will be ok.
>>
>>58329550
Its ok for pupils and occasional things, if you seriously earn your money with writing papers etc. you will need something else.

Even if the terrible GUI issues will be fixed in the future (which still would be, like, what ten years after office introduced the ribbon bar?) it will be no good for productive work.

Honestly, i write for al living myself and i would love it if my job was more about actual research rather than about producing a shiny polished document like in the old days, but what can you do?
>>
>>58337907
If i were ever to write for living in MS Word i would literally kill myself right now.
Also if your job was about producing an shiny polished document you would just use styles, which work well both in LO and Word. Do something one time and then just write.
>>
>>58337951
>If i were ever to write for living in MS Word i would literally kill myself right now.
do eet
>>
>>58337951
yeah except LibreOffice styles look like garbage
>>
>>58337840
There's no easy way to jump into LaTeX without wasting a ton of time
>>
>>58329550

Been using it for 4 years now. The early releases were a buggy mess, but now it's very stable.
>>
>>58338033
>wasting
more like investing. That time you take to learn LaTeX will save you a lot of time later, on top of making your documents look better
>>
>>58337840
>LaTeX

What is this? 1985? Beat it grampa, plain text editors are history.
>>
>>58338033
>an hour is a load of time

Once you jump in there's no going back. I'm already on page 5 by the time you've loaded up libre office and wrestled with getting the correct formatting.

latexmk -pdf file.tex and 10 seconds later it's been emailed.
>>
>>58338033
I learned how to use Latex. I agree that it's a waste of time. Don't fall for the meme.
>>
I use it every day at work, works fine
>>
>>58338099
>>58338301
I agree. I tried to learn but didn't have enough time in college to do it even though it would have made lab report writeups much easier. There were a lot of group projects I had so working on LaTeX by myself would have made everything more difficult than just using the Office keys that were given to all of us instead.

Spoonfeed me on decent editors for TeX. I have TeXworks installed but it's pretty shitty. Comfortable with Windows, Mac, and Linux but only have computers with the first two OSes running. I've heard MiKTeX is alright before so giving that a try now.
>>
>>58338617
Install Lyx. It's by far the best.
>>
>>58338648
cheers
>>
>>58338617
Not who you replied to, but I think TeXstudio fucking rocks. It doesn't have its own weird file extension that it prefers to work with like lyx, it can automate module imports, it has a kickass preview plane. Also, it's completely cross-platform. I learned how to LaTeX on Windows them switched to Linux with no issues. Load time is an ass though.

Haven't used TeXworks, so I can't really compare, sorry.
>>
>>58337840
Maki cucks always have the shittiest opinions.
>>
>>58329550
FOSS meme
>>
>>58338029
they literally look like you make them you idiot.
>implying the default blue image captions styles in Word make any sense at all
Btw the formula editor is pure trash compared to LO and i have to use those often.
>>
>>58338436
ricing your desktop is not "work"
>>
>>58338937
Different anon. Why is Word's formula editor worse than LO? It feels more natural to use and requires less typing.
>>
>>58338937
>not writing formulas in LaTeX

wow lol
>>
>>58339002
Epin mene bruh
I actually use Ubuntu at work
>>
>>58339055
Because its faster to type something than click it in gui. Especially the fucking boxes in word. Also the formulas look more natural (sums etc look weird in word). Also many more different things are easier to me in LO, after having to imput formulas in Word for my thesis i changed to LO after one chapter because long formulas started looking really bad, and taking 2-3 times the needed space.
>>58339067
There is a LaTeX syntax plugin for LO. Also i think LO formulas syntax is OK, at least for me.
>>
>>58337267
I do when they are using my internet to do it.
>>
>>58329550
Word, PowerPoint, yes it's great

For Excel if you're using it in even a remotely complicated way then it'll fuck up hard
>>
>>58329853
It's acceptable for low level work and if yourw not expecting to collaborate with anyone else, but other than that it's no ready for professional use at the moment.
>>
>>58337163
The words of a clueless freetard. If you think libre is good for anything other than your arthritic grandmother you must be a burger flipper a McDonald's
>>
>>58337951
Better let ms know how you feel, I'm sure they've got a few copies of office 97 they could send you
>>
>Libreoffice is shit
>MS Office and Google docs are botnet
>LaTeX is alright but not really worth for relatively simple works that do not require an overly fancy presentation

What should one use instead? WPS?
>>
>>58339360
From my experience most of people working with Word don't have the slightest clue how to use it properly, they literally spam enter or spaces to format things and do not use styles.
Such people usually claim that Word is superior to LO in every way.
Same thing is with people using excel and not knowing anything about macros, and calling it "exel".

LibreOffice is pretty good if other people you work with use it too, same thing is with opening .odt documents in Word.
Still yes if you know how to use Word properly, and use this knowledge to make your work faster, using Word is probably better.
>>
Professionals use LaTeX.
>>
>>58339193
I'm pretty sure you can type latex formulas into the Word formula editor and it's automatically.
>>
>>58339440
converted
>>
>>58339393
I actually have a legit copy of 2007. I use it to double check if the files i open with LO look like they should. Usually they do.
>>
>>58339431
The problem is that LO spreadsheet cannot compete with 2 decades worth of horrible macro and VBA abuse that glues a company or department together. Or the Excel files that are tacked together database abominations that should not exist.
>>
>>58332639
Actually pretty nice that it's optional. It does help me convert old people to distros like Elemantary which is way easier for them.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (178KB, 1427x761px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
178KB, 1427x761px
Why don't you use the best Office program? All other Office Suites are just clones of it with added bloat. It's also portable and can carry around on USB drive, works on Windows and Wine, and everything worth a shit still opens 97 era .doc files.
>>
>>58329550
I use it more now that I have Linux. On Windows however, I prefer MS Office
>>
I use 7zip and LibreOffice to migrate away from the tedious task of pirating software whenever I have a new install.
>>
>>58329550
It's garbage. It's slow, it's buggy, and it's worth every penny.
>>
>no vba

Yeah fuck that. The automation that vba offers is worth the retail price of ms office alone.
>>
File: wordcucksbtfo.png (223KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
wordcucksbtfo.png
223KB, 1280x809px
>>58329550

>be /g/
>get thinkpad
>ricing muh arch linux
>breaks every other day, have to go balls deep into X all the time
>wearing knee socks
>ironic, but not ironic praise of Lord Stallman
>pretending to program
>B...B..BUT LATEX IS TOO HARD

Using any kind of Office Suite instead of LaTeX as an adult is no worse than saying "GIMP is too hard to use, so I use KidPix!"

If you get confused by LaTeX, you probably can't even understand HTML.

Pic related BTW
>>
>>58341312
Latex isn't too hard, most people don't have the time to do it because of other projects that need to get done. The only people who learn it themselves are either required for their coursework or they have nothing better to do.
>>
>>58341312
i can understand latex but making tables in latex is such a pain in the ass that i will use every piece of shit, even abiword instead if given the choice.
And yes i know you can use some online creators that will give you comparable effects in seconds but then modifying the tables is more pain in the ass than creating it.
Also making your own styles in LO:W/Word and than just writing text is comparable to what latex can offer if you don't really need equations.
>>
File: xmas.jpg (498KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
xmas.jpg
498KB, 1920x1280px
>>58329853
about 5 years ago I finished up a resume that I started in word with Open office/libre office. I sent it out to about 20 employers. A few weeks later I opened it up on a windows computer in word and it was all fucked up. I about shit my pants. Not sure if it still has the same problems, but I have trust issues when they say it works with word docs.
>>
>>58342022
Always export as pdf. Never send a resume as a doc/docx even if they ask.
>>
>>58342022
use PDF next time ,or an word viewer if you need to be 100% sure the file you send is looking the way you mean it.
The same will happen when you try to write .odt files in word and send them to people with open office / libre office, althought this is rarely (if at all) a case.
>>
>>58332639
>hey guys how do we convince people to use our program instead MS Office
>I have an idea: Let's make it look exactly the same as word does so nobody who isn't a total libretard sees any point in converting
>that's a great idea, kevin. Get on it, guys.
SERIOUSLY. YOU FUCKING MORONS. STOP COPYING THE TOTAL RETARDS OVER AT MS HOLY SHIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I can recommend this: http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/
>>
>>58342022
>sending documents as .ods / .docx

LMAO
>>
>>58332639
Why the icon and font rendering so poor in Linux?
Real question, not trolling
>>
Kingsoft might be a chinese botnet but it's better than libreoffice.
>>
>>58329550
Actually works.
Crashes sometimes but recovers even the unsaved documents reliably.
>>
>>58335819

Latex has a learning curve. After a while, and for big documents, it's actually much better.

Also
>Using word to take notes
>>
>>58341312
>>58341441
>>58341603
What is the point of the (La)TeX syntax? Like, it's fucking awful considering what an incredibly simplistic thing it is supposed to be doing. If everything beginning with \ is a command, why does there have to be all the bullshit braces? \begin[papersize=A4]{document}? Why? Just do it like a shell:
\begin --papersize=A4 document

Why do some commands factually behave like variables/configs? (\onehalfspace anyone? why is that even its own thing)
Why do the _arguments_ to some commands factually behave like the command flags?
Why is the papersize defined in the \begin{document} part but the font size is defined e.g. in the \documentclass[10pt]{report} part?
Why is there even a \begin command?
This shit is so fucking convoluted. No >>58341312, it's not hard, it's arbitrary, inconsistent and annoying. Yeah, the documents it produces and the typesetting and its internal workings are probably very nice, but usage and syntax is a incoherent mess.

And SILE, the claimed-to-be-sane rewrite of TeX uses the exact same idiotic ideas.

Also does any organisation with actual serious requirements for their documents (=nothing in the academic sector) use this? I've never encountered TeX in the wild.
>>
>>58329550
I use Libre all the time for uni. Does everything I need it for. Except I still use PowerPoint 2010 on WINE... I just haven't gotten around to learning Impress.
>>
Absolute meme.
>>
>>58342022
100% your fault. PDF or plain text.
>>
>>58342022
Was it *doc or docx?
>>
>>58342050
Export to *doc never failed me. But then again I dont use tables
>>
>>58342084
I once opened and edited a doc document with tearoff fliers in open office, then brought it to the uni to print. An IT guy opened the resulting odt file in word, and the table size was a bit fucked up: it was two pages instead of one.
>>
>>58347120
Exporting to pdf takes more time. Imagine you have to do it with 1000 documents throughout a few years. How much time does it take, roughly half a minute? That d amount to 500 minutes or 5 hours of your life, totally wasted just because you were a freetard. Appealing perspective isn't it?
>>
>>58329550
Try it, it's free. I like it.
>>
>>58329550
Writer is okay, except it still sucks ass at saving .doc or .docx. Try putting a caption under an image in a document, and saving as .docx -- or better yet, try editing a file made in Word with captions under images (it'll load just fine, but when you save and reload the file, the captions will break).
if the world supported .odt, that wouldn't matter though, and you can get away with saving pdfs like 90% of the time anyway

the others suck ass completely, Impress is hot garbage and fucks up slide layouts pretty bad

I use LO simply because I'm too cheap to buy office and too lazy to pirate it.
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>58349513
I export to pdf whether I'm using libreoffice or MS word. It's pretty close to easy as saving in native format in LibreOffice - alt+f, shift-D.
>>
File: pepe dual wilding.jpg (59KB, 306x625px) Image search: [Google]
pepe dual wilding.jpg
59KB, 306x625px
>>58343844
forgot pic
>>
>>58343844
To be fair, LibreOffice wasn't a MS Office clone.

It only seems that way today because MS Office won out a decade later (in the 90s).
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.