[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There are two types of people: -Those who hide the taskbar/dock/launcher/whateveryourO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12

File: 1483459571728.png (93KB, 345x345px) Image search: [Google]
1483459571728.png
93KB, 345x345px
There are two types of people:
-Those who hide the taskbar/dock/launcher/whateveryourOScallsit
-Those who don't
what about you? personally I prefer having extra screen state, I always switch windows with alt-tab anyway and with auto-hide I don't see any reason to shove it to your face all the time.
>>
I keep my taskbar on and my desktop icons on
>>
>>58328921
never hidden. If I don't have it visible at all I'll lose track of what programs I have open. If it's on "autohide" or some such where it shows up when you mouse over it, then it will irritate me, by popping up when I didn't mean it to, by possibly resizing or getting in the way of open windows, and worst of all by being animated. There's nothing that annoys me more than animated UI elements.

In contrast leaving it visible all the time consumes a very small amount of screen real estate and is both consistent and convenient. Windows requires some kind of hack to stop applications from making their taskbar button flash, though.
>>
>>58329071
>In contrast leaving it visible all the time consumes a very small amount of screen real estate and is both consistent and convenient.
This, unless it's doing some weird bullshit where it's overlaying a video or game or similar it's always on. The couple dozen pixels tall it is don't really matter at all and it feels weird to not have it.
>>
I just don't use the dock altogether.
>>
>>58329175
>The couple dozen pixels tall it is don't really matter at all and it feels weird to not have it.

I was going to post a screengrab to demonstrate this but you put into words much better than I could show it.
>>
File: 1478965327849.jpg (52KB, 530x529px) Image search: [Google]
1478965327849.jpg
52KB, 530x529px
>>58328921
Autohide for windows and always on for linux.

The windows one doesn't display any important information.

The linux one gets on my fucking nerves poping up when I don't want it to.
>>
>>58328921
>extra screen state
Do you understand the words you typed?
>>
>>58328921
Mine is always on, I'd like to have it off but my OCD won't let me...
>>
>>58328921

I've always kept it on, because I like to be able to drag my mouse straight down to the icon. If I were to hide it, I feel like I'd be dragging down to display it, and then to the left or right to pick the icon. But who knows... Maybe the positions would become muscle memory if I took the time to get used to auto-hide.
>>
File: merkelfin+bier+duitslandfin22.jpg (246KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
merkelfin+bier+duitslandfin22.jpg
246KB, 1500x1000px
>>58328921
autohide and borderless windows: maximized is fullscreen, without the hassle
>>
>>58328921
>-Those who hide the taskbar/dock/launcher/whateveryourOScallsit
>-Those who don't
Neither, I don't have a taskbar. I just middle click the desktop to see open applications. Clock on ncmpcpp.
>>
>>58328921
i would love to hide my taskbar, but in windows its buggy as shit.never appearing when it should,getting in the way when i want to press a button and other shit.
>>
>>58328921
I'm not using the winmeme, so I'm not stuck with some fuckhueg taskbar.
It really doesn't take up a lot of space, so there isn't really any need to hide it, and I like being able to look at the clock and volume information any time I want, without any input.
>>
>>58331845
>extra screen e-state
>>
File: taskbar.png (73KB, 1919x64px) Image search: [Google]
taskbar.png
73KB, 1919x64px
Always on. Much like >>58329071 and >>58329175, I like knowing at a glance what's open and being able to switch on the fly without having to 'unhide' something and look through it, and things that auto-hide or auto-dock are almost always either obstructive or disruptive in some way (looking at you, trillian contact list).

As for being able to always see what my workspace looks like without having to mouse through shit, it's also why I continue to keep my taskbar set up as I used to use it in xp and earlier, with labels on and grouping off.
>>
We all should be striving for minimalism in all aspects of life
>>
>>58336243
forgot to attach pic
>>
>>58328921
Taskbar always on.
Taskbar on right side.

16:9 screens have so little vertical space that having a taskbar top/bottom is a waste.

16:9 screens have so much horizontal space (especially for document or web viewing) that having the extra side space is literally irrelevant.
>>
Taskbar and icons are on, but I have just one icon for some self-written terminal-like little program (windows user here) that basically helps me to start programs quick. Since all my programs work without installation or are copies of installed programs from another pc, my PC always looks like I just bought it. Completely unconfigured besides background and UAC. I can just use any (windows) pc and use all my programs portable.
Same goes for my linux debian machines.
>>
I keep it on because I have to switch between programs a lot and clumsy fingers make alt tabbing a pain
>>
>>58328921
It causes some windows to act unnaturally so i don't fuck with it
>>
>>58328921
sheesh, how big do you people have your taskbar that it's taking up "valuable" screen space

yeah those extra 20 pixels are just too precious to give up, i'd much rather not know what I have open and have my taskbar annoyingly pop out every time i accidentally move my cursor slightly too far to the edge of the screen
>>
>>58329240
Autohide on Windows is horrendous to use tho
>>
Autohide
>>
I use i3 with status bar (i3blocks). It's very rare for me to feel the 'need' for extra screen space. Even when the capability is just a keystroke away.
>>
I don't use the start menu or pinned programs, but the taskbar notifications are too useful to get rid of.
>>
Anyone who uses autohide must be completely fucked in the head.
Why would you have the potential miscommunication there when you literally have a button dedicated to bringing up the start menu/bar.
>>
File: 2017-01-05-171647_1280x800_scrot.png (394KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-05-171647_1280x800_scrot.png
394KB, 1280x800px
More importantly, does your brower still have that space wasting location bar?
>>
>>58337663
Only because if I don't keep it on all the time, when I open the location bar it doesn't have the page's current address but actually the last URL/search I typed in.
>>
>>58337663
>space wasting location bar
vs
>useless bar at the bottom of the window that displays the same fucking thing but can't be used for navigation
>spending screen space on a folder of images for no reason at all times
>console that does what
>>
There are two types of people:
-Faggots who insist on using hyphens to delimit separate ideas, most of whom are reddit surfing newfags
>and the glorious greentext master race
>>
File: 2017-01-05-192342_1280x800_scrot.png (160KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-05-192342_1280x800_scrot.png
160KB, 1280x800px
>>58339162
>useless bar at the bottom of the window that displays the same fucking thing but can't be used for navigation
Please
>>
File: o4.png (687KB, 784x980px) Image search: [Google]
o4.png
687KB, 784x980px
I like it visible. Hate waiting that second for it to pop up. If you are using smaller icons and try to access something quickly it will slide in and out.... Annoying 2bqh
>>
>>58328921
I like being able to see the time 24/7.
>>
>>58339366
This. Big whoop, I wasted a whole 24 vertical pixels.
>>
The real question is. Should I show the taskbar on my other monitors?
>>
File: A.png (282KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
A.png
282KB, 1280x1024px
>>58328921
Taskbar is thin, no reason to hide
>>
File: barsettings.png (29KB, 1059x798px) Image search: [Google]
barsettings.png
29KB, 1059x798px
Always on. Never combine.

Also configured so that the taskbar button is where the window is open.

I hate clicking on the taskbar and it's actually for a window that's on a different monitor.
>>
Small taskbar, always on, always combine. All my shortcuts are in the taskbar.
>>
File: hidden.png (129KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
hidden.png
129KB, 1366x768px
>>58328921
hidden, always. 1366x768 is poverty line.
>>
File: startmenu.png (112KB, 906x703px) Image search: [Google]
startmenu.png
112KB, 906x703px
I was also planning to organize everything on my start menu so that my desktop is empty. But turns out putting stuff on the desktop is useful so I stopped caring about organizing this.
>>
>>58341710
>multi-monitor taskbars
The one feature from 8/10 that I wish 7 had natively.

>inb4 3rd party software
Tried one before, and it somehow fucked my graphics performance in the ass whenever it was enabled.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.