[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /g/, excuse for my illiteracy, but I have a dead laptop and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1473705056818.gif (9KB, 337x292px) Image search: [Google]
1473705056818.gif
9KB, 337x292px
sup /g/, excuse for my illiteracy, but I have a dead laptop and scavenged a Toshiba MK4058GSX 400GB Internal that I want to make into a external HDD with a case. Is it possible to buy a hdd case and just put it in? if so, what kind of external case should be compatible?
>>
sfw board, you fucktard
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (238KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
238KB, 1600x1600px
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sabrent-USB-3-0-to-2-5-Inch-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-Black-EC-RD25-/252369242464?hash=item3ac2610960:g:crIAAOSwrXdXJ3MD

all you had to do was look up hard drive enclosure you egg
>>
>>58325625
>>58325953
Fuck off
>>
>>58325987
can you find me one that isnt mac compatible? I dont want my sister to be able to use it
>>
>>58325989
homo
>>
>>58326009
Are you retarded?
>>
>>58325625
>Is it possible to buy a hdd case and just put it in?

Yes.

> if so, what kind of external case should be compatible?

Find out if it's a PATA HDD (which it may well be at that vintage). If it is, buy a PATA external case. If it's SATA, buy a SATA case.

Chances are the HDD is not a SATA III. But, connect it to a PC and find out using any of a dozen analytics utilities. First off, check the SMART numbers on it to make sure it's reasonably healthy. Take a screenshot of them for comparison later.

Assuming it's a SATA HDD, get a SATA III external case with a USB 3 connection. Not because you'll get the speed out of it, but because you'll be using more modern hardware that should be more reliable ... and you can pop other SATA III HDDs in and out of it at need.

If your PC is windows, learn how to use the command prompt and >diskpart -> clean the drive, then reinitialize in Computer Management & do a full low-level format on it. Use a utility (such as Partition Wizard) to do a surface scan and then a full, low-level write to the entire drive surface (just ones or zeros is fine; you're testing the surface for write, not doing a security wipe).

After writing the entire drive surface, you'll have to format again. Check the SMART numbers again and see if there's been any significant changes.

Assuming it passes all that (while installed on your PC), then you pop it into an external case and you're good to go.
>>
>>58326009
>>
>>58326014
No u
>>
>>58325953

Blue board, dumb fuck.

https://www.4chan.org/faq

And, shaved vag like that looks disgusting. Stop being underaged retard.
>>
>>58326009
>you find me one

here:

https://www.google.com

do your own fucking homework child
>>
>>58326174
I thought /d/ was supposed to be good with computers?
>>
>>58325953
>they all have the same floppy fuck flaps

Must be eurotrash.
>>
File: 1445543395165.jpg (42KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1445543395165.jpg
42KB, 500x382px
>>58326062
I love you. thank you for you help so much, now I have a point to start googling info about.

BTW, I only have a laptop so maybe the possibility of checking the things you mentioned should be available after the purchase of the external enclosure, right?

sorry for the boobs, thought it might get your attention.
>>
>>58325953
this is how you get a thread 404'd
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.