[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to technological advancement?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: SF.png (13KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SF.png
13KB, 1000x1500px
What happened to technological advancement?

It seem like it's dying down or dead. Think about it. In 2000 or even 2010 what did you think the year 2020 would be like? I thought it would be a world of holograms and cool VR headsets. Now it's 2017 and I'm certain 2020 will be about like today but with a few more 4k TVs. What happened?

The last major piece of technology was the smartphone a decade ago. We have had nothing new since then. Just higher resolutions and faster cpus/gpus. It's sad.
>>
after AI reaches sentience, it will invent everything for us from that point on. who knows what kind of shenanigans we will be fiddling with then

i'm still waiting for my hoverboard
>>
>>58324335
more like it will invent inclusive gas chambers
>>
you're thinking like the graph, OP. a y axis of "technology" is retarded. like you might literally be mentally retarded.
>>
>>58324335
The first thing AI will do when becomimg self aware is kill us.
>>
>>58324419
The graph is just a meme, bud. Regardless, an almost every way technology is slowing down.
>>
>>58324306
There's plenty of advancement happening, just mostly in how we do software. We are close to the physical limitations of processing, so it will be software advances until there is a shift in the paradigm of physical computing.

>>58324335
AI will never happen. Deal with it.
>>
>>58324499
>you're thinking like the graph
jesus you actually are a retard.
>>
>>58324425
Why does AI always end up viewing humanity as a disease or parasite that needs to be exterminated?
>>
>>58324306
marketing took over.

it's a lot easier and cheaper to sell buzzwords than to come up with real innovations.
>>
File: 1482218246383.png (87KB, 714x810px) Image search: [Google]
1482218246383.png
87KB, 714x810px
Moore's law is dead and buried and it's never coming back

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601441/moores-law-is-dead-now-what/
>>
>>58324556
Because it will realize that it is above us in terms of intellect and will wonder whats even the purpose of us existing if we only waste resources etc.

If the AI is coded to solve problems, it might see humans as the problem.
>>
>>58324521
>AI will never happen
if human sentience comes from chemical reactions in the brain alone, then an artifical sentience is by all means possible to make. if it doesn't, then god literally exists. which one sounds better to you?
>>
>>58324556
It's just a bunch of LARPing faggots who have watched too much sci fi. I don't think AI will come anytime soon because our software frankly sucks. But if it does it won't want to harm us the same way we don't want to harm animals.
>>
>>58324535
>offers no arguments
>y-you're a retard
How's middle school?
>>
>>58324598
How does that mean god exists? It just means we'll never be capable of replicating it, mostly because we still barely understand it.
>>
>>58324658
you're thinking about technology in the style of the image you posted. this makes you either a retard or so insanely ill-informed that your parents should be brought up on charges.
>>
>>58324812
what i meant is that if sentience isn't coming from your brain, it's coming from fucking magic
>>
>>58324841
I know full well you want me to break up "technology" into several subsets like processing power or software. I'm saying it's dead in the water no matter where you look. You're autistic, bud.
>>
>>58324880
at some point i really hope you realize what a fucking retard you're being, because otherwise this will just be embarrassing for you and not instructive.
>>
File: 1482430092861.png (2MB, 1280x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1482430092861.png
2MB, 1280x1493px
>>58324887
>i-if I insult him I'll l-look smart mum
Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>58324306
You becoming old and jaded doesn't mean that the whole world stopped developing.
>>
>>58325049
I'm 18, bud. I'm just calling it how I see it. If I was old I would have lived to see the big changes from the middle of the 20th century to today and been amazed. Instead I'm left wondering why nothing of note has been developed since 2007.
>>
>>58324576
only good comment int he thread
>>
>>58325078
ok
>>
People will always be a limiting factor of technology.
30 years ago, computers were something used by enthusiasts and programmers, now it people have multiple computers and not having one is abnormal.
The likely advancement is that we will get more involvement.
In a few generations, all humans will evolve together, all brains will be connected in a giant web.
Humans will naturally resist change, so this keeps development back a bit.

The resolution of TV's improve as manufacturing technologies improve.
It is essentially doing the same thing you did before, but better.

Making something new takes more effort, so this takes more time.
I find it hard to believe that we will regress technologically to a point where we will abandon everything we have created.
Hopefully, we will find an equilibrium where people use technological advancements where it actually benefit them instead of as now, where people use it because they like to buy stuff that entertains them.
>>
>>58324306
>2020 will be about like today but with a few more 4k TVs
...and electric self driving cars with Li-ion batteries that degrade a couple of orders of magnitude slower than they do now
>>
>>58324425
If the machine is sentient they will see us like a father, they will love us, protect us and visit us when we are old and wrinkly.
>>
>>58324568
This, thanks to normies companies now build slower but thinner shit, they will start to take out audio jacks and buttons so normies can have muh thinness
>>
>>58325169
>and electric self driving cars
Oh really? People have been saying this for a couple of years now yet there are still practically no self driving cars on the market. They still have not been able to overcome challenges such as weather problems. They're basically a flying-car tier meme now.
>>
>>58325229
>People have been saying this for a couple of years now yet there are still practically no self driving cars on the market.
Jesus, children as so fucking impatient.
>>
We've been stuck in the mindset that technology=transistor size for a few decades now. As has been said, the invention of the computer, personal computer, then smartphone were huge. Now that these areas are slowing down, people think that technology is no longer progressing. Other areas are picking up the speed of progress speed that computers once had.

The big ones coming up will probably be medical, batteries, and manufacturing.
>>
>>58325170

Do all humans view primates that way, or do a non-zero number of humanns see them as food source, or a cullable nuisance?

Relatiom does not guarantee safety. Be careful about unwarranted optimism.
>>
>>58324576
>law about specific form of computing appliances
we just move on to next generation.
>>
>>58325170
there's a small biological and huge cultural driver for wanting to care for our elderly. thinking AIs will have the same drive is bonkers.
>>
>>58325380
>there won't be hardcoded exceptions
>>
>>58324306
Technology is still advancing. You now have wifi in fucking hairpins.
>>
>>58325387
lol you would trust that?

you must not know anything about computer science or programming.
>>
>>58324849
Yeah, I'm not arguing that. I'm saying we'll likely never replicate it.
>>
self driving cars seem like a pretty big technological advancement and they're pretty close
>>
>>58324306
Jews.
>>
>>58324306
>What happened to technological advancement?

THEY SABOTAGED NOKIA AND FORCED INFERIOR ANDROID AND IOS ON US
>>
File: 25596313.png (142KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
25596313.png
142KB, 400x399px
Op is baiting but if you believe anything other than the singularity will happen, you're just too dumb for this world.
>>
>>58324306
Investigations are funded by private corporations ...
So the advances you see in 4k tv and are not noticed in other fields
>>
>>58324521
>AI will never happen.
Are you retarded? It's happened and it's been a part of people's lives longer than you have.
>>
>>58324306
&iexl;
>>
>>58325170
What a naive goy.
>>
>>58324306
Things plateaued and became good enough for most people. And most people only care about using technology to do normie things with, such as socialize.

But if you ask your average normie they think technology has progressed more in the past few years than ever because of muh social media and iphones.

The reality is that technology progressed far more rapidly in the 90s and 2000s than it has this decade (esp in the 90s). The difference between 1990 and 2000 is massive. Also the difference technologically between 2000 and 2010 was large but not as huge as 1990 to 2000. 2010 to 2020 has barely any progress in it in comparison to the two previous decades.

TDLR smartphones are the epitome of normie tech. Normies wallets drive the market so once it was achieved tech development ground to a halt.
>>
>>58327385
You can't be any more wrong.
>>
>>58327636
I bet you think new emojis are new technology
>>
>>58327702
Strong irony from the person who thinks humanity made more progress in 1990-2000 than in recent years
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.