[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I effectively disable my MacBook Pro camera via macOS Sierra?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: isight-facetime-camera.jpg (41KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
isight-facetime-camera.jpg
41KB, 800x533px
How do I effectively disable my MacBook Pro camera via macOS Sierra?
>>
>>58315848
Step 1: you don't
>>
Put a sticker over the top.
>>
>>58315858
Sounds good but anything via removing the drivers?
>>
>>58315848

You bought a Walled Garden

You don't get to chose what bricks you do and don't want in the wall.
>>
>>58315917
Quit pretending OS X is iOS, dumbass.
>>
>>58315928

Ummmm...OP Said MacOS
Not OS X
Theres a difference, Anon. Do you even fucking known anything?????
>>
>>58315848

You are worrying about the wrong thing. It's the mic that can get you into prison, not a picture of your gay face.
>>
>>58315959
im not who you replied to, but what is the diffrence between macOS and OSX?
>>
>>58315993
macOS is spelled different and has Siri.
>>
>>58315959
Quit shitposting. We both know it's literally the same thing with a different name.

>>58315993
The name.
>>
>>58315848
Disable the driver
>>
don't know how effective covering the microphone is
>>
>>58316027
>>58316028
Isn't macOS what used to be OSX but just for the newer versions?
>>
>>58316040

It isn't. Open the case and solder a wire over the mic to effectively short it out. This is the only way of reliably disabling it.

Bonus points it you solder an accessible switch over the mic instead of a wire.
>>
>>58316040
probably enough to filter out anything you don't speak aloud in front of your computer.
>>
I don't believe you have an understanding of how programming works.

Unless it's open source, which we wouldn't be having this discussion if it was, then the only solution is to physically modify the hardware. Putting a tape over it is the best solution.

Programmers have the ultimate control. Those buttons are there for convenience. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes. All of that can be overridden if they so choose. Which they do and will.

>>58316040
Enough to make it worth it. Unless you yell all the time or something.
>>
>>58316051

No, it's all MacOS now.

MacOS Leopard
MacOS Mavericks
MacOS Tiger
MacOS Sierra

It's all MacOS now,
Which also means it's still the same shit that came out in 2001 with a new skin cause Apple hasn't had a competent software engineering department capable of crafting a new operating system since the new millennium.

Also, theres just something about wanting to disable the webcam in a Walled Garden, when there is literally nothing stopping Apple/People with Apple's Keys from using their backdoor right into your system's firmware to re-enable it anytime they please.
Either do a real Tin-Foil solution and physically disable it, or get a system that respects the privacy you're craving.
>>
>>58315848
you could probably drill a tiny hole through it.
>>
>>58316051
Exactly. It's literally just OS X renamed to Mac OS.

>>58316112
No, they're not retroactively named. 10.0 - 10.7 are Mac OS X, 10.8 - 10.11 are OS X, and 10.12 and up are called macOS.
>>
>>58316123

You risk shorting a power supply and disabeling/damaging some other stuff.
>>
>>58316112

>Apple hasn't had a competent software engineering department capable of crafting a new operating system since the new millennium.

No company has. The only thing that's happened is that Red Hat tries to destroy Linux with systemd.
>>
>>58316158

Incorrect.
|
http://www.businessinsider.com/wwdc-2016-os-x-becomes-macos-2016-6

OSX is no longer correct nomenclature. OSX is now MacOS. If your friend changed his name from George to Paul, you wouldn't start a story with "My Friend Paul..." just because the story took place when he was still called Paul, you'd say "My Friend George..." since that is his name.

For the sake of clarity, Apple still titles documents and support pages regarding such products "OS X Mavericks/OS X Lion" to keep with the legacy names people might know the product by from that time. Akin to starting a story with: "My Friend Paul, Who now goes by George..."
>>
Put tape over it.
>>
>>58316255
>If your friend changed his name from George to Paul, you wouldn't start a story with "My Friend Paul..." just because the story took place when he was still called Paul, you'd say "My Friend George..." since that is his name.
That's a terrible analogy. Say OS X 10.11 is Frank and macOS 10.12 is Bob. Frank's name doesn't get changed to Jeff just because Bob changed his name to Jeff.
>>
>2017
>doesn't know you can put tape over cam
>>
>>58316310
>>58316267

is there a proprietary tape sold by apple that I can use for this? I don't wanna use just generic tape on a apple product, wouldn't feel right.
>>
>>58316310

> CURRENT_YEAR
> doesn't know camera is not an effective surveilance device.
> ignores the microphone that is.
>>
>>58316383
yes, you can order one at lemonparty . org
>>
>>58315894
You don't get to choose what works or not.. Just hammer a screwdriver into the camera.
>>
>>58316417

Op asked for a way to disable the camera not the mic, I answered how to disable the camera. Of course if he asked how to disable mic then I would have answered with that.
>>
>over 30 posts
>not a single post answering the OP's question
>literally impossible to disable the webcam on the MBP
B-but it has a paper saying it's UNIX and that's all that matters, right?

If OP was using Linux at least 3 different ways would have been posted because Linux lets users do whatever they want with their machines.
>>
>>58316564

If OP was using Linux his post would be about getting the webcam to work and none of the suggestions posted would work with OP's configuration.
>>
>>58316627
Could you point me to a couple of different laptops where the webcam doesn't work in Linux OOTB? This is a piece of hardware I've never seen fail.
>>
>>58315858
This, or drop it from 100+ feet. should disable most of the bullshit.
>>
Drill it out...
>>
Fuck are you worried about? Apple uses encryption on almost all their software. Its going to be more of a hassle to try and hack into a mac webcam than it would be on Windows so nobody is going to bother.
>>
>>58315848
Easy way https://github.com/jessedoyle/isight-cli/blob/master/README.md
Paranoid way
>Disable sip
>Run
>sudo chmod a-r /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer
>sudo chmod a-r /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VDC
>sudo chmod a-r /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VDC
>sudo chmod a-r /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMediaIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VDC
>sudo chmod a-r /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/AppleCamera.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AppleCamera
>Enable sip
Now even with a root password you wont be able to enable webcam.
>>
>>58316308

Yours is terrible too.

To be more appropriate, In your analogy, Frank and Bob would be part of the same family, and would have the same last name. So it'd be up to Frank, since he is an autonomous human being, to decide that if his mom remarries, if hes still Frank West, or if hes going to take his new dad's last name and be a Smith like Bob Smith.

But Snow Leopard isn't an autonomous human being, it's a branding and name given to a specific release of the then-called OS X Operating System. But now that Apple has rebranded OS X to be MacOS, globally, the "family name" is no longer OS X, but MacOS. And since we can't ask Snow Leopard which it prefers, it inherits the new branding. Thus, MacOS Snow Leopard.
>>
sell macbook, buy a better machine
>>
>>58317466
Holy shit, is this the sort of shit macfags have to do to disable a webcam? Pathetic.
>>
>>58315848
Hold a small piece of paper over the camera

apply tape

is fix
>>
>>58319556
> the sort of shit macfags have to do
Actually, macfags just put a tape on it. This is the sort of shit which Linuxfags would do.
>>
>>58319556

> Disabling 4 kexts.
> a lot.
>>
File: laptop-cam-cover.png (74KB, 480x141px) Image search: [Google]
laptop-cam-cover.png
74KB, 480x141px
>>58315848
>>
>>58316158
>>58316255
>>58316308
>>58319466
>being this autistic
>>
>>58315848
You can't remove the driver for the camera since it's plugged by a USB header, removing those drivers would mean losing USB capability.
>>
>>58315848
>t. Mactoddler
>>
>>58321461
I'm not going to let people plague old versions of OS X with the shitty new name
>>
>>58315848
put a piece of tape on it
>>
>>58315848
>disable
>proprietary shitware OS
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.