[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /g/ I hate to make these kind of threads, pretty much asking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: ai_0.jpg (154KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ai_0.jpg
154KB, 1500x1000px
So, /g/

I hate to make these kind of threads, pretty much asking for help, but the thing is:

I started to learn programming a few months ago, I'm not good yet but I think I have basics (python), however, I never really found a goal on programming, like everyone said I had to (making a game for example)

So suddenly the idea of an AI comes to me, and it seems fucking cool (and hard as well), I'm actually really interested and willing to do what I have to do to make a functional AI, I checked Google but I can't find any actual info on it, so I'm here, asking for help.

I want to start with some basic stuff, like simply making a game of chess where the cpu actually plays against you, or any simple game that has any intelligence on it

Could you give some help, guys?
>>
The easiest one is to make a point follow the cursor, you could make the point have to walk around walls to reach the cursor.
>>
>>58313703
The numbers guessing game is easy as well, If you have played Goldeneye 007 for the n64, you might recognize interesting ai programming is quite difficult.
>>
>>58313731
Seems interesting, I guess I have to learn graphical stuff first

>>58313791
I know it's not easy, it's probably really complicated, but I'm up for it, I want to get there
>>
>>58313820
If you want real time yeah, if you want strategy turn based, there is probably no need. AI that always wins is easier to make, than AI that allows for a challenge.
>>
File: ai.png (3KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ai.png
3KB, 640x480px
So the red dots are enemies, and the blue dot is the player, if at the beginning of the game the player was in the bottom left hand corner, and is now here, the red dot's shouldn't attack yet because they still don't even know the player exists, it would be a lot easier to write a program to make the red dots constantly move toward the player and attack rather than wait until they see the player then attack, depending on method of attack projectiles etc.. their moves in time have to change... etc...
>>
>>58313937
I understand, makes sense, but I still don't know where to start, I got a pair of ideas from the other Anons, but where can I actually look for a way to put the knowledge on practice and actually build something?
>>
File: images.jpg (104KB, 834x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
104KB, 834x1080px
>>58313703
A lot of the principles of AI aren't that hard. Creating a simple chess AI is quite easy if you know how to structure the problem, of course making a GOOD chess AI is the opposite.

How are your algorithms and data structures? If just learned how to program the next logical step is this one.

After you are comfortable with the basic algorithms and have created the fundamental data structures from scratch you are ready to learn basic AI. Pic related is the first book I used, is quite good, do all the exercises.

After you are done with that you can start doing more fun stuff, I recommend starting with creating videogame bots, Starcraft and Warcraft III have great libraries to help you with that.

If you play Dota 2, Valve recently release a library to also create your own bots, is a little bit green right know but I'm having a lot of fun tinkering with it.

In a year or two if you study hard you can start learning Machine Learning and Neural Networks to create heuristic functions using DNNs and create dynamic stream event spaces.

Good luck anon!
>>
>>58314008
This is awesome, thank you anon, at least I have a starting point now!

A little doubt, does this book cover the algorithm and data structures? Or it starts with the basic AI? If it doesn't covered, would you mind telling how you learned these concepts?
>>
>>58313997
I don't know you can use any language to accomplish a turn based game as long as it has input output in a console, for a graphical game the HTML5 canvas using JavaScript is easy. I would stay away from game engines if you don't want to learn how the actual engine works to implement the code. Something that has an instant works doesn't work environment to learn from is helpful. There is a beginners programming language called Alice written in java, there is also another novice java ide called greenfoot.
>>
>>58313997
start by making the environment
>>
>>58313703
Don't become too ambitious or you'll just end up becoming very frustrated. I think the simplest AI would be a chatterbot.
>>
>>58314105
Is that concatenating English words to create a response? Like you create sentence structures and categorize words as noun verb atricle preposition, then find ways to organize them that make sense and pick one for the bot to use.
>>
File: Clrs3.jpg (50KB, 420x475px) Image search: [Google]
Clrs3.jpg
50KB, 420x475px
>>58314033
I think to remember that the book assumes basic algs and data structures.

CS undergrads study those 2 topics in a year, I didn't study CS but for practical purposes you only need to know:

1. list sorting algorithms (quick, bubble, etc)
2. how to create a linked list
3. how to create a binary tree
4. how to create an n-ary tree,
5. Big O notation and Little O notation mean.

I would just google these topics and read their wikipedia articles, implement a linked list and a tree in python, and all the sorting algorithms you can find.

The book covers a lot of tree-traversal algorithms like A* and Dijkstra (so you should at least know what an algorithm is and read pseudo-code), and might include a refresher on Big O notation, so some concept might overlap but that's not a bad thing.

Pic related is the classic algs text everyone uses, it suck balls, but is a nice reference to have at hand.
>>
>>58314236
I really do appreciate your info anon, seriously.

Alright, so I'll start from the lower and read a bit about those things you listed for me, I hope everything works out

Thank you again, anon
>>
>>58314261
baby steps anon baby steps.
>>
>>58313703
Dont jump to ai, ai is an advanced programming concept. Youre trying to run when you cant crawl yet.
>>
>>58313703
This is actually how I learned to program. I think many people here are missing the point - AI doesn't have to be smart - even just a few simple rules to follow might be useful. I started out making simple bots for video games - for example there are plenty of flash games that resemble pong that have a paddle follow your cursor. You could make a bot that simply has the mouse follow the ball at all times (which isn't always as easy at it seems.

Shows how long it's been, but I really got into writing crappy bots for runescape. Mostly they sucked and took more time to write than I ever saved, but it was motivating for me. After enough time I was able to write some bots that actually made me some money in the game, and I'm still proud I was able to do that 8 years later (am now professional software dev for a fortune 500 company).

By the way, I learned to program in AutoIt, which makes moving the mouse around the screen and reading pixel colors very easy. Might work for you, too.
>>
>>58314758
I'm glad the thread is still alive to thank you as well, I also think an AI doesn't always have to be the most advanced idea, and thanks, I'm gonna check Autolt too
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.