[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I use any hard drive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: tower.jpg (24KB, 385x450px) Image search: [Google]
tower.jpg
24KB, 385x450px
Got parts for my bro for a new computer, tried cutting costs on hard drive and case. Case is an old compaq tower that works surprisingly well, but I'm not sure the old compaq hard drive is compatible with the new mobo and other stuff.

SATA and everything connects fine. Computer turns on, XP starts to boot up, then I get blue screen. When I try to go into BIOS, it shuts off within a second. Is this a hard drive issue?
>>
>>58310119
try running bios without the hdd connected, that will tell you
>>
File: 1466181166987.jpg (244KB, 722x830px) Image search: [Google]
1466181166987.jpg
244KB, 722x830px
power supply too weak
>>
>>58310119

You need to reinstall the OS most likely... The harddrive should not matter I don't think. As long as the connectors work.
>>
>>58310119
The OS that is on the HDD will not work with that much hardware changed. Format the drive and install a clean copy of Windows.
>>
>>58310119
>then I get blue screen.
of you course you haven't noted the error number? fucking tech illiterate
>>
Weak psu or if it's the hp one check that it is actually ATX. Some HP ones have the same connector but are wired differently
>>
>>58310119
install gentoo
>>
>>58310217
kys
>>
>>58310187
They never do...

"My computer stopped working"
"What's wrong?"
"It stopped working"
"But it's on... The mouse works... the keyboard works... it works"
"can you fix it?"
>>
>>58310241
>Tfw everywhere on the chins people are giving eachother kisses or "kyses" for short.

2017 is such a lovely year already!
>>
>>58310187

0x000000a5
0x00000003, 0x8a110820, 0xc0140001, 0x494e495f
>>
>>58310119
SATA is SATA. /g/ is notoriously unhelpful. You need to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows for it to work with the new hardware.
>>
>>58310149
You got the highlights mixed up. It sorta looks like you are implying that /g/ isnt their personal tech support forum when it clearly is.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.