[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fruot/ - Friendly real Unix OS thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: unix_logo.gif (3KB, 402x258px) Image search: [Google]
unix_logo.gif
3KB, 402x258px
Welcome to /fruot/ - Friendly real Unix OS thread

Thread dedicated to a newfriend >>58307658 that struggles to find his way around imageboards.
>>
Feel free to post various *BSD and especially macOS - the only mainstream UNIX certified OS out there
>>
is this the real unix desktop thread
>>
"I pretended to use linux for a while but it's too mainstream now and I'm basically just a hipster" /general/
>>
File: AnimePepe.jpg (108KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
AnimePepe.jpg
108KB, 640x640px
>>58307701
>his
>>
>>58307753
thank you for your shitpost
>>
>>58307787
I used Linux 2004 - 2011.

Enjoy your systemaiDs
>>
Daily reminder that if you are using Lincux you are being controlled and cucked by kikes.
>>
>>58307834
Slackware has no systemd
>>
Linux has no ___________
>>
>>58307847
Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.
>>
>>58307847
>>58307873

The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.
>>
unix has even less games than linux
>>
>>58307858
Linux has no shitty toxic dropout faglord psuedo-community pretending it's superior to everyone else for NOT having any software and drivers
>>
>>58307907
I was asking what it didn't have, not what it had
>>
>>58307873
lol the majority of the software you listed sucks dick
>>
>>58307907
that's BSD, not UNIX
macOS is UNIX
>>
>>58307907
>Linux has no shitty toxic dropout faglord psuedo-community pretending it's superior to everyone else for NOT having any software and drivers

I use GNU/Linux, but I will have to disagree with you here. Especially when you consider Arch and Slackware.
>>
>>58307847
Good for Slackware. I'll stick with OpenBSD though.
>>
>>58307701
Is this the BSD general?

>>58307873
>>58307880
Cool pasta bro, but the GNU/Linux community is trash along with most of the software you listed.
>>
>>58307946
Even at their worst arch and slack shits try to get you to go back to "noobuntu". With "real unix" it's "just throw it out"

>My printer doesn't work
>throw it out
>I don't have a web browser to render even css 2.0
>don't use the web
>I don't have a word processor
>just stay unemployable like me

Comes in different forms, but all alternative "real" unixes do this, either with fancy words or not.

"paradigm"
"use case"
etc, to try to dodge that there are no drivers or software. It's 100% hipster bullshit.
>>
>>58307974
>>58307929
I would like to keep arguing with you both to increase my (You) count. The truth is, I saved that pasta months ago and haven't read since. The only thing I know is that it bashes slackware but I don't even know how.
>>
>>58308017
Slackware shits unironically insist that you have to stick with whatever's on the CD, and that it's stable due to this.

slackware is one step away from this type of turd, ie the "real unix" shit. It's possible to get new apps on slackware but it's too hard-on-purpose to be worth it, it's a very close autistic sister to "real unix" because less shit works over normal linux distros.

"real unix" shits entire strategy is to disregard all new software made after the late 80s and insist you're a pleb or normie for using them at all. This includes 99.99% of the web outside their suicidally ass burgers IRC circlejerk. Most of this shit, you need a 15 year old laptop to use, using a VM is not recommended because even the concept of VM is too new and must be thrown out.
>>
>>58308096
>>58307907
You guys know that Solaris, Aix and macOS are unix right?
>>
>>58308096
You seem upset, where did the real UNIX anons touch you?
>>
>>58308096
>because even the concept of VM is too new and must be thrown out.
Virtualization dates back to 1960 mainframes
>>
>>58308014
>waaah why wont you reverse engineer a closed-source driver for my specific hardware peripheral
>>
>>58308096
Name a piece of software that you absolutely require that Debian/Arch/etc has and Slackware/BSD doesn't.

Also explain why you can't download and compile something yourself.
>>
>>58308163
He can't. Slackware always updates when there is a security patch and if you need more bleeding edge, switch to current.
>>
% uname -a
DragonFly 4.6-RELEASE DragonFly v4.6.1-RELEASE #3: Sun Oct 16 21:13:25 EDT 2016 [email protected]:/usr/obj/home/justin/release/4_6/sys/X86_64_GENERIC x86_64
>>
>>58308135
>>58308140
Because we sometimes have BSD/"real unix" threads daily and it literally lasts 5 posts. Here's every single BSD, "real unix", haiku, plan9 (oh gosh he said it time to jerk off!!!!), beos, etc thread:

>Why aren't you using BSD over linux guys?
>>Can you tell me what it offers over linux?
>Yes this one obscure filesystem which is totally superior because I say so
>>Kay, sounds interesting at least. I'll go try it on my (LAPTOP MADE IN THE LAST 15 YEARS)
>Oh sorry *nose in air* that *won't work*
>>Why not?
>*Um look dude* *if you need to ask then you just won't belong*
new random anon
>>I like BSD and have a T20 or whatever other 20 year old piece of shit it runs on but I noticed it doesn't have A FUCKING VIDEO PLAYER AT ALL?
>*Look dude* *We don't watch videos around here* *so just fuck off already* *bsd/9/haiku is *real unix* or a *new paradigm**

Then the rest of the thread is "fuck off"

>>58308140
Meanwhile in every linux distro, they already have the entire time for an entire decade
>>
>>58308213
>Actually getting triggered by a thread you don't have to post in and can just ignore.
Sounds like you're the problem here, not BSD/Slackware/UNIX.
>>
>>58308228
he does this every BSD thread, now slackfags will have to suffer him too
>>
File: 1481495974554.gif (2MB, 343x200px) Image search: [Google]
1481495974554.gif
2MB, 343x200px
>OP successfuly siphoned all the fucking cancer from fglt by making a thread because of his butthurt
>>
>>58308163
>>58308178
for slackware, anything that has more than 3 dependencies.
I'm not compiling all that shit because my time is valuable.

I noticed you've brought up compiling linux software on BSD.

If I had happened to bring up compiling linux software on BSD, you'd immediately say it makes it shit and vulnerable and mumble some shit about "attack surface".
>>
>>58307701
ive already installed ubuntu alongside windwos. when installing a second distro, is there extra maintencne have to do with grub?
>>
>>58308228
The classic BSD/alt-unix mentality I described. The be all, end all, answer to everything!

>Just throw the thread out.
>>
>>58308267
What the hell is "Linux software?"
Linux is a kernel.

We're just talking about software. What software do you want to use in BSD but can't?
>>
>Linux people made a successful kernel/system that's installed on most powerful computers on this planet as well as on majority of the world's smartphones
>BSD fags just bicker about pointless shit
>>
>>58308348
Even after installing it on FreeBSD, the port tells you "if you have other linuxulator software using PulseAudio, just install this on Linux if you want to be able to use the mic"
>>
>>58307880
> didn't do anything productive

you could say they're slackers
>>
>>58307701
I know that Playstation is built on top of FreeBSD, so I'm wondering if BSD has any emulators for Vita?

I plan to switch over in the nearish future (like after I finish college and don't need Win$hit anymore)

But, I was just wondering, do any BSDs have Vita emulators?
Or PS4 emulators for that matter?
Would be neat.
>>
>>58308375
we were talking about compiling software though

skype is closed source and cannot be compiled, go blame MS for that
>>
>>58308213
Linux generally doesn't care about free software and is astroturfed with corporate dollars. So yes, it has more drivers.

Writing off BSD for not having the time and resources to implement secure alternatives to every single nonfree device is like spiting a Dell laptop for not having a firewire port.

Use what you need; don't expect everything to cater to you.
>>
>>58308380
They is based on NetBSD actually. There is a NetBSD copyright notice in the manuals and it was pretty obvious when the PS3 was hacked.
>>
with Hurd releasing 0.9 recently, think they might get some steam, with linux becoming unmanageably big, new, more compact technologies like wayland and flatpak becoming mainstream, and alternative unix OS's coming from behind?
>>
>>58308380
>But, I was just wondering, do any BSDs have Vita emulators?
>Or PS4 emulators for that matter?
>Would be neat.

Forgot this part.
No, you would need to be able to break their DRM to do that. In the case of the PS3 and vita the software is compiled to a not well known and not that simple architecture. For example Cell has incredibly fast memory access speeds and vector transformation capabilities that would be impossible to emulate on intel hardware since very recently.
>>
OS X talk welcome

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3627.htm
>>
daily reminder that every "real unix/bsd thread" is here so you faggots can use the same arguments vs bsd that windows used against you in linux vs windows/osx threads.
eg:
>bsd has no software compared to linux
>bsd has no drivers compared to linux
>bsd is some next level of hipster shit compared to linux
Its all trolling and you should all kill yourselves for being stupid fanboys.
>>
>>58308425
Oh, hmmm...
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that.

But, is there an emulator for Vita or PS4 that I could get for it?

Also, since I don't actually know anyone with a Vita, but I've kinda looked at the games, are those things SD Cards? They look like it, but are they actually compatible with SD Card readers?

>>58308459
>For example Cell has incredibly fast memory access speeds and vector transformation capabilities that would be impossible to emulate on intel hardware since very recently.
Well, I'd be using a Xeon E5 or something.
And I'm also mostly interested in the Visual Novels. I don't play many "games" that aren't Web-based.

I'm mostly interested in PS4/Vita emulation because of the extreme quantity of VNs available for those platforms.

So, there's no way to emulate it?

Would it, however, be possible to install a PS4 or Vita system onto a VM and do it that way?
>>
>>58308545
The cell just can't be emulated right now because it so fast. It has 32 units each capable of 32gflops. That's 1 teraflop total. Yesterday I was running intelburntest on my [email protected] and only got 118gflops
>>
>>58308545
I don't know anything about vita. The PS4 is x86, so if anyone could break the DRM(I don't know if they have) it would be easy to use a VM.

>Would it, however, be possible to install a PS4 or Vita system onto a VM and do it that way?
See above, if you manage to break the DRM, yes.

I don't even know what VN are. Is this some kind of chink cartoon? If so there probably are easier ways to pirate it.
>>
>>58308647
>>58308545
Considering the Vita is mobile, I would guess it's arm. Yes, that would be very easy to emulate if you could break the DRM.
>>
>>58308629
Hmmm...
I think one of the processors I was considering was at least 500 GFLOPS.
(Though, I'm having trouble locating it on Ark.Intel. Doesn't actually tell me the number of FLOPS. I'm looking at either the 2699-v3 or 2699-v4 - more so considering v4 since I found out about it, though 22-cores is better than 18)

But either way, would I only suffer from lag? I mean, it'd be mostly used for VNs, so it's not like I'm looking for insane graphical power.

>>58308647
Hmmm.
VN means Visual Novel. Yes, it's anime stuff.

>>58308776
Ok, that's good to know.
>>
>>58308808
>VN means Visual Novel. Yes, it's anime stuff.
I mean, it's only images or is it software. On the PS3 they hdd was filled with some knows shit to do a plain text attack, find the key and allow access to things that didn't required signing. Maybe the same would work for your hentai.
>>
>>58308925
It's software, yes, but they don't have like intense battle systems usually or anything of that nature.
It's like a graphical "Choose Your Own Adventure" book.

You chat with the people, select decisions, read the outcomes and watch the cutscenes. Then, depending on your choices in the end, you get maybe a Good End, Bad End, or some other kind of end, possibly in-between, maybe complete strange. You might get in a relationship with different characters, accidentally destroy the world, etc. etc.

If you've never played a CYOA, they usually say at the end of a section "If you do this, turn to page X; If you do THIS, turn to page Y". Sometimes a couple routes lead to the same or a similar end. Sometimes they completely fuck up your story

So, basically, a VN has moving pictures and a selection system. That's OFTEN all it contains. At most, you might have some minor real-time stuff, but usually not
>>
>>58308997
>It's software, yes
Then you would need to jailbreak it.

Your best option without jailbreaking would be to save the images and re implement the logic.
>>
>>58309034
heh, that sucks.

Eh, fuck it. It's not like I CAN'T GET a Vita. I just don't want that shitty small screen...
Would prefer to play it on my PC
>>
>>58309067
If it;s vita games you're interested that's the only option, emulators don't exist yet
>>
>>58309145
alright.

Thanks anyway for reading through my walls of text to get me to the answer I hoped wasn't the only one.
>>
>>58308213
it's Plan 9, not plan9, and it's great. I don't understan why you pretend to hate technology
>>
I was thinking about it recently and systemcocks is the exact opposite of unix.

>mac OS is unix
fuck off faglords.
>>
>>58308392
>skype is closed source and cannot be compiled
i see, so if i make my own code that's on my pc right now closed source i will lose the ability to compile it?
>>
>>58309300
what no

MS just didn't release the source code, that's all
>>
>>58309375
oh, so you meant it cannot be compiled by non-MS people? why didn't you say so the first time though? in your post you implied exactly what I said in this post >>58309300
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.