[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is Linux even useful if you can't even play games? There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 10

How is Linux even useful if you can't even play games? There's no directx so you have low graphics performance, why would anyone want that?
>>
>>58302761
I don't play videogames.
>>
> Being this bored on a monday
faggot
>>
>>58302771
that's not a valid argument, because if you ever changed your mind and decided you wanted to play videogames you wouldn't be able to, at least not at a proper frame rate or performance
>>
>>58302787
I wouldn't change my mind

I don't play videogames, I don't wish to play any.
>>
>>58302777
it's Tuesday
>>
>>58302793
>I don't change my mind

Whoa man, that's intense.

But you don't have the freedom to change your mind anyways if you're on linux.
>>
>>5830279-9
You're not making it any better.
>>
>>58302809
I am okay with this, it fulfills my needs from my computer.

If I were interested in videogames I would install Windows. If Windows suits your needs better than Gnu/Linux then that is what you should use.
>>
>>58302828
or just install Windows from the get-go so you can already do everything, there's literally no advantage to using Linux
>>
Plays CSGO just fine, only game I need.
>>
>>58302858
>can only play one very underpowered game

behold, the power of linux

>i-it's all I need, though... I don't need a wide range of awesome games to choose from...
>>
>>58302850
>there's literally no advantage to using Linux

But there is.

>Much less system bloat
>The joy of using a package manager instead of manually installing and updating programs from Sketchysite.com by running .exes
>Much more customization and options
>My computer doesn't spy on me
>Don't need to download external programs to have basic functionality
>Arch wiki is very handy to use

I like it more desu. I don't see why I would want to use windows.
>>
>>58302850
You clearly missed the point
>>
>>58302761
MIKU A SHIT
>>
>>58302912
>sketchysite.com
>he doesn't know how to find real software and differentiate between malware
>>
>>58302911
>Let me tell you what you need from your computer more than you
>no no no you don't want to only play CS sometimes, YOU NEED and WANT to play all these other games! You need windows!
>>
>>58302911
I don't need a wide variety of games. I'm not a NEET.
>>
>>58302930
Many of them are quite sketchy.

having to download and run an external program JUST to check checksums or to mount a drive is fucking retarded.

And i like how you didn't address any of the other points or explain why i should use windows.
>>
I play vidya on my desktop PC and use my laptop with Linux for school.

It's actually better to not have games on it so I can stay productive.
>>
>>58302953
>system bloat
Literally a non-issue if you're using a computer made within the last decade.

>more customization and options
Like anime ricing? is that it?

>my computer doesn't spy on me
tinfoilhat.png

>don't need to download external programs to have basic functionality
what exactly do you think the tools you use on Linux are? They're programs that were made externally. Whether or not they're packaged with the distro upon launch is irrelevant.

>Arch wiki is very handy to use
LOL needing a wiki just to use your computer
>>
>>58303003
Rekt
>>
>>58303003
>Literally a non-issue if you're using a computer made within the last decade.

It is an issue for me. I don't see why I should use a lot portion of my computer's memory and processing power on absolutely nothing.

>Like anime ricing? is that it?
Yes, sure.

>tinfoilhat.png

It's quite objective that Windows (particularly w10) has a fuckton of telemetry and spying bundled in with it. Not really sure how you could dispute it or claim that it's a meme or whatever.

>what exactly do you think the tools you use on Linux are? They're programs that were made externally. Whether or not they're packaged with the distro upon launch is irrelevant.

It's much easier to open up terminal and write "shasum shit" instead of having to download a meme from pajeet.net

>LOL needing a wiki just to use your computer
Some people use their computer for more than just playing league of legends like NEETs.

You still haven't explained why I should use windows. What are you trying to say exactly?

What is the point of this thread?
>>
>>58303051
>Rekt
>His entire argument for why Windows is better than Gnu/Linux is that it has better support for videogames
>He maintains this position even when the opponent has repeatedly stated he does not play videogames, this brilliant specimen maintains however, that the opponent in fact DOES wish to play videogames, he just doesn't know it yet.

Hmmm really makes me think
>>
>>58302761
Some of us have jobs.
>>
>>58303091
What kind of shit job you're working you don't have any free time?
>>
>>58303091
>jobs
>no visual studio, MS Office, or Adobe suite
>no autoCAD

lol okay
>>
>>58303003
Not him but:
>Literally a non-issue if you're using a computer made within the last decade
Are you kidding me? My gf got a new laptop with fucking advertisement apps and a shitload of trash tier HP bloatware. The laptop is definitely slowed down by that shit and entry level celerons/i3s/amds WILL suffer from bloatware. There's no reason for this and all of those PCs would be snappy in something like XFCE.

>Like anime ricing? is that it?
Not even: how about choosing a DE suited to your needs? In Windows, you use the windows desktop or nothing. You can choose KDE, XFCE or even a wm like i3. You can just install the DE and never touch the customization options, but they're there if you want it and you can do pretty much anything you want.

>tinfoilhat.png
I don't think it's all doom and gloom, but given the choice, I'll always opt out of sending personal information to companies.

So, install ubuntu instead and enjoy your computer just werking
>>
>>58303100
why can't you accept that some people don't like videogames

Why is your entire argument based on videogames
>>
>>58303003
LOL needing an OS a toddler could use
>>
>>58303105
>what is libreoffice?

video/photo editing is trash on linux though, I'll give you that
>>
>>58303106
>got a laptop with advertisement apps and bloatware
>he doesn't know how to install a clean copy of Windows on a new computer
>>
>>58303105
Code Blocks and Libre office works just fine thanks!
>>
If you like Windows so much, why don't you just use it for your videogaymes?

You don't need to justify your choices to us. Use whatever the fuck you want we don't care.
>>
>>58303063
I just think he had a good point. Windows is great for lots of things. Not saying I don't like Linux but at the end of the day 90% of people on /g/ use Linux because they think it makes them look "super master race"
>>
>>58303106
>In Windows, you use the windows desktop or nothing.

Non-issue, all the DE shells in Linux are garbage, Explorer has them beat hands down.
>>
>>58303141
People use things because they best suit their needs.

I use Gnu/Linux because it does what I want and I enjoy it much more than Windows, which I've used for many many years.

If Windows was better then I would use Windows instead.
>>
>>58303111
because it's irrelevant that you yourself don't play video games when the fact of the matter is a Linux user will never have the freedom to choose to play video games. On Windows you can do everything Linux can do AND MORE.
>>
>>58303105
>Implying every job requires these programs
>>
I know this thread is a weak bait but maybe this link will surprise some of you
http://store.steampowered.com/linux#tab=ConcurrentUsers
>>
>>58303127
>he moves the goalposts so I say something that makes me le stupid man
Sure I know how to install a clean windows. Not everyone does though. Also, I shouldn't even have to reinstall windows so I don't have advertisement apps on my desktop.

Not to mention that Windows 10 has preinstalled bloatware itself.

And yes, I know what you'll say, I am le stupid man and I don't know how to remove that stuff. I do, but that's not my point.
>>
>>58303170
>implying any serious company uses Linux
>>
>>58303160
Okay then use Windows.

Why do you need to justify your choice to us?
>>
>>58303193
xd
>>
It has V U L K A N you stupid N I G G E R
>>
>>58303156
And that's fine. There is no right or wrong to this. But what "needs" do you have that windows can't do just as good?. The point is that windows can do what you "need" to do on Linux and more if you so feel like it
>>
>>58303186
i mean, you already have to install Linux yourself anyways if you're going to use it, why not just do a Windows reinstall instead, since it's already been established that it does more than Linux?
>>
>>58303193
google.com
>>
>>58303091
No you don't if you use linux.
>>
>>58303100
I work on a computer all day, why should I play with one when I get home?
>in 4th writing letters to a Mongolian tapestry journal
>>
>>58303111
I don't see how having a Job is an argument against playing video games tho
>>
>>58303207
>But what "needs" do you have that windows can't do just as good?

Okay here's some.

I can't use a package manager on Windows.

I can't customize my desktop environment on Windows.

I can't ensure my computer isn't spying on my in windows.

I can't easily perform maintenance of my system in Windows.

It's very hard to not get infected by malware because it's such a piece of vulnerable shit and the vast majority of malware targets windows

I don't like another dozen things including bloat, messed up Windows updates and more.
>>
>>58303193
Google primarily uses Ubuntu
>>
>>58303234
why not? You don't have to do it EVERYday.
>>
>>58303236
It's not, but most people need some time to relax and video games don't work for them.
>>
>>58303252
>I can't use a package manager on Windows.

>Start
>type program name + Enter
>Edge opens with search result and a giant DOWNLOAD link

wew, that was hard

also nuGet
>>
Using Windows only for Vegas pro and photoshop. No alternatives on Linux.

inb4 wine
>>
>>58303224
Sure you can, but that wasn't the point that guy made. He said bloatware doesn't matter on any computer built in the last decade. Most entry level laptops are most definitely bogged down by bloatware and people shouldn't consider stuff like literal advertisements for sponsors to be an acceptable app. And like I said, many people are not tech savvy enough to uninstall these things.

But sure, if you're buying a PC and you want to do a clean install and you like Windows better, it's probably not that much more effort. You'll still need to remove the windows bloatware and disable the tracking if you care about that stuff.
>>
>>58303279
That's not a package manager.

Also what about the rest of the points? Or are you just going to say "Lol those don't matter" when they do matter to me?
>>
>>58303288
>can't use a VM with GPU passthrough
>>
>>58303298
A desktop environment is not a need. And if the men in black want to spy on you they will do if if it is windows or not
>>
>>58303252
most of your arguments boil down to:

>I don't want to find software myself without a package manager holding my hand
>I don't know how to ensure the integrity of my system and protect it from malware and spying
>>
>>58303298
NuGet is

and the point is that windows doesn't need a package manager 99% of the time, for the rest of it you have NuGet.

The rest of your points are sort of silly

>I can't customize my desktop environment on Windows.

Sure you can

>I can't ensure my computer isn't spying on my in windows.

I'm sure you analyze each line of the linux kernel, and every line of every package you install on Linux though :^)

>I can't easily perform maintenance of my system in Windows.
All the maintenance I do on my system comes automated out of the box...?

>It's very hard to not get infected by malware because it's such a piece of vulnerable shit and the vast majority of malware targets windows

What is this 1998?
>>
My reasons for using linux:
Rolling release = never have to upgrade again
Older hardware = very fast with lxde/xfce
Package manager = everything is updated at once in one place
The security and cost is great too. I never use my laptop for gaming so I don't really give a shit about that.
>>
>>58303336
BEHOLD THE POWER OF WINDOWS
>>
>>58303321
Why would I do that? It's not the same.
>>
>>58303344
Only good post so far
>>
>>58303326
I don't see a problem with letting the package manager do the work.
>>
File: plsrespond.png (836B, 115x30px) Image search: [Google]
plsrespond.png
836B, 115x30px
ATTENTION
>ATTENTION

You are posting in a false flag thread.

OP is intentionally offering poor arguments and creating more divisiveness.

In new 4chan speak, you are currently being "baited".

Please discontinue entertaining OP's roleplaying.
>>
>>58303344
>rolling release
Yes, that sure is nice, but that's only on SOME Linux distros.

Also, who knows if that distro will even still be around in a few years? What's the point of never having to upgrade if you might have to switch in a few years to a better-maintained distro?
>>
>>58303324
>A desktop environment is not a need

It's a need for me.

>And if the men in black want to spy on you they will do if if it is windows or not
There's a difference between literally transmitting my information and using my computer's resources for telemetry and people theoretically spying on me.
>>
>>58303365
>linuxkiddies buttblasted completely
>>
>>58303378
and there's a difference between Telemetry and spying, too
>>
>>58303326
>systems shouldn't be secure, I should have to go out of my way to protect myself
Literally shit tier argument. I don't give a shit how much you know/don't know, a more secure OS is ALWAYS better.

>>58303336
>Sure you can
Sorry, You can not modify the Windows 10 DE like you can in Linux, it's silly to just say that technically some aspects are customizable therefore they can do the same thing.

>I'm sure you analyze each line of the linux kernel, and every line of every package you install on Linux though :^)
Are you seriously suggesting that the linux kernel is "spying" on people and no one has noticed.

>All the maintenance I do on my system comes automated out of the box...?
Are you?

>What is this 1998?
Viruses and malware are gone now? Amazing!
>>
>>58303258
lmao no they don't, everyone there uses a Mac
>>
>>58303326
>most of your arguments boil down to:
>Arguments

But it's not an argument. It's my needs from my computer.

You're not selling Windows very well. This is like me going to a car dealership and saying "Okay I'm looking for a car with X, Y and Z" and the salesman starts telling me how i don't actually want any of those features, and instead I want something totally different.

>>58303336
>Sure you can

Really? How can I install a tiling wm on windows? Was this a new update?

>I'm sure you analyze each line of the linux kernel, and every line of every package you install on Linux though :^)

I don't, but the fact that I can and other people do so is enough for me. Compared to not being able to do so at all for Windows nor most of the programs for it.

>What is this 1998?

Gee I wonder which OS pretty much every single piece of devastating malware has targeted in the last 10 decade.
>inb4 dude that doesn't count, the russian botnets stealing your credit card info are just a feature of windows
>>
>>58303396
whatever you call it, I don't want my computer doing it to me.

The higher performance in Videogames I don't play doesn't outweigh the negatives of using Windows.
>>
>>58303375
Okay, and it's on the linux distro I use...?

So what does Ubuntu using LTS releases have to do with my reasons for using Arch?

Honestly, I'm much more concerned with my laptop dying before Arch development dying spontaneously.

I mean, what if you buy a windows PC and microsoft goes bankrupt in 20 years? I dunno dude.
>>
>>58303375
>but that's only on SOME distros

This has to be the worst rebuttal I've ever heard in my life. I can't comprehend how someone could be this stupid.
>>
>>58302761
>computers were created solely to play games
I love this meme
>>
>>58303414
>Google uses commodity-class x86 server computers running customized versions of Linux.
>>
>>58303438
You said "reasons I use Linux" and rolling release isn't on every distro, you gotta be more specific and say "this is why I use Arch" because you're really recommending Arch, not all of Linux
>>
>>58303469
>not all of Linux

Linux is a kernel. It runs on your smartphone and on your router.
>>
>>58303478
not an argument
>>
>>58303488
it wasn't an argument, it was a correction.
>>
>>58303494
an irrelevant interjection, you mean. Like the Stallman copypasta
>>
>>58303384
case in point
>>
>>58302761
>native Steam on Linux
>no games on Linux
u wot mate?
>>
>>58303511
You're a great argument for the ban of Windows and phone posters you now
>>
>>58302912
>runs random commands from linux website
yea thats more secure.
>>
>>58303469
I'm not recommending Arch, I'm giving the reasons I use Linux. I don't really give a shit which distro you use or if you use one at all.

The key word in that sentence was "I," implying that these are my personal reasons for keeping a linux distro on my laptop. Your "rebuttal" that some distros don't use rolling releases is not fucking relevant to my reasons for using linux.

Maybe next you can tell me how not every linux distro comes packaged with xfce so my reasons for using linux aren't relevant.
>>
>>58303544
but i don't though
>>
>>58303193
...Valve
>>
>>58303544
Well maybe reading the fucking manual could help you to make the difference between a heavy files-altering command and a music player
>>
>>58302761
>Video games
>Useful

I remember being 13 too
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-03_12-22-31.png (111KB, 816x944px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-03_12-22-31.png
111KB, 816x944px
>>58303193
>>
>>58303557
can't play games though, lame. How long have all these distros been in development, yet they still don't have basic functionality?
>>
>>58303596
>can't play games though, lame.

What is Wine?

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux
>>
>>58303596
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps.html

how about this?

and why are games the dealbreaker for you?
>>
>>58303607
>what is Wine
a shitty hit-or-miss Windows compatibility layer that rarely works with most games

>steam
Yeah but no directx, so shitty performance

>>58303622
playonlinux is just a collection of Wine installation scripts
>>
>>58302761
>>>58303304
>>
>>58302761
>>/v/

Things like writing documents in LaTeX, programming are way easier on Linux.

Web browsing is is faster when you don't have to wait all day for your computer to to install updates and reboot. No virus scanning necessary, no having your computer interrupt whatever you are doing to remind you to reboot. Fast startup times. No random crashes.

The list goes on. Windows is terrible and there is no reason to use it besides because you are a vtard.
>>
>>58302777
>thinks it's Monday
>really Tuesday
Fucking idiot
>>
>>58303628
>Yeah but no directx, so shitty performance

It runs natively on linux now.

I mean what do you suppose http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
is based on?

Hint: it's not windows.

>a shitty hit-or-miss Windows compatibility layer that rarely works with most games

I don't need to play most games. Are you a NEET?
>>
>>58303650
>League of Legends USED to work
>USED to work

behold, the state of gaming on Linux
>>
>>58303670
no one even uses steamos my dude

it doesn't even work right
>>
>>58303674
Most people who use Linux aren't very big gamers.

If you're a gamer why don't you just use Windows?
>>
>>58303596
Okay, but if you read my post I just said I don't use my laptops for gaming. Like even when I had a windows laptop, I didn't game. I do that at home on my desktop PC with windows.

So even though your post is wrong, it's not relevant.
>>
>>58303674
the released a new beta client which is departing from old libraries and functionality. it will take some time for devs to incorporate it into the next PlayonLinux update.

It is the same process each time there is a major client upgrade.
>>
>>58303674
Go back to /v/
>>
File: platform_stats.jpg (37KB, 512x199px) Image search: [Google]
platform_stats.jpg
37KB, 512x199px
>>58303193
>>
>>58303700
It doesn't matter if you don't play games.

Linux isn't great at playing AAA titles flawlessly so it's shit. Even if you don't play videogames games should still be a top priority for you.
>>
>>58303674
>2017
>Not playing DOTA
>>
>>58303744
>playing dota in 2017
I had to give up because Icefrog went full retard with 7.00
>>
>>58303744
Dota 2 runs natively on Linux, so does Steam and most of Steam games.

There is literally no reason to touch Winblows aside from selected titles.
>>
>>58303736
Sooo... even though I use linux on machines that I don't game on and that have older hardware, I should be concerned whether or not they can run the latest triple A game at ultra settings?

Flawless logic my friend. I'll make sure I install windows so I can play DOOM at 2 fps ASAP.
>>
>>58303736
>straw'd-hominem

Windows does everything Linux can PLUS play games properly, and more. So Linux is inferior
>>
>>58303744
>2017
>playing ASSFAGGOTS at all
>>
>>58303785
We already went over what Windows fails in and your response was just "U dont need that anyway".

you're just repeating the same thing over and over and not listening to any response.
>>
>>58302787
But I do play CSGO at a proper frame rate on Linux
>>
>>58303795
>what windows fails in

Package managers because you're too stupid to not install obvious malware? Or anime ricing?
>>
>>58303596
What does the development of the various distros have to do with proprietary software not releasing their titles on linux machines?

I mean, by this logic we can shit on Microsoft for not releasing Mac software despite being in development for over 20 years.
>>
>>58303812
>accuses people of ad-hominems and strawmen
>Proceeds to have them in all his posts
>>
>>58303829
there's a reason no one develops games for Linux

because no one uses it except for autists

also isn't it better to use the platform with more developers?

yes, yes it is.
>>
>>58303842
nigga that wasn't me, there's more than just one person in this thread who realizes linux is shit
>>
>>58303858
Okay then use windows.

what are you trying to prove to us

We don't fucking care what you use
>>
>>58303878
>can't develop a proper defense for his shit OS
>J-just use what you want! I don't care!
>>
>>58303877
It's obviously you. Unless there's multiple retards who think bringing up videogames when people keep telling them they DON'T Play videogames is a good argument.
>>
>>58303896
LOL i'm talking about why package managers are unnecessary you moron, I didn't even mention video games
>>
>>58303893
>Have brought up numerous explanations for why I use it
>Every single time you just use "That's a non issue", "Only autistic virgins care about that" or "It can't even play videogames"

And when I asked why I should use windows you can't come up with any reasons.

Go on, convince me to use Windows.
>>
>>58303858
>This goal post moving
Friend, your argument was that these distros have been in development for ages and they still don't have basic functionality. That's a shit tier argument because that has nothing to do with the linux developers and everything to do with the closed source software developers ignoring linux.

>also isn't it better to use the platform with more developers?
So, you mean Linux...?
>>
>>58303893
>develop defense for using linux
>"dude you dont need that lmao"
>why arent you defending linux properly???
>>
>>58303908
>only autistic virgins care about that
No one said that. Wow, getting a little defensive, aren't we?
>>
>>58303906
They're necessary for me.

Who are you to decide what's necessary or unnecessary for someone? I want to use a package manager. Windows does not offer me that option.

Therefore that is one of the main reasons I do not wish to use windows.
>>
>>58303914
>more developers
>Linux

some fat kid in his mom's basement slapping together buggy crapware is not a developer
>>
File: neog.png (9KB, 487x64px) Image search: [Google]
neog.png
9KB, 487x64px
gj
>>
>>58303906
Who cares if they are "necessary?"

You know what else isn't "necessary?" Video games, photoshop and office.

Nothing is "necessary." People should pick the computer and OS that is tailored to their needs and is within their budget.
>>
>>58303921
>No one said that.

>>58303858
>because no one uses it except for autists
>>
>>58303938
Yeah man no one uses linux in the real world XD

only losers and virgins use linux XD that's why google is le gay upbaot if u think linux is gay
>>
>>58303959
no said "virgin" except you, buddy. it's obvious you're insecure about that, but don't worry, most people don't actually care about your sex life
>>
>>58303938
>some fat kid in his mom's basement slapping together buggy crapware is not a developer

What about the biggest companies using Linux?

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-and-devices-running-on-gnulinux/
>>
>>58303995
Damn, people use a server OS on their servers? You don't say!
>>
>>58303207
Linux can do the same windows can do.
Iam playing every game with linux i want, no limitations for me.
Windows cant have a package manager, because microsoft doesnt implement int.
Windows cant have different de's/wm's, because microsoft doenst want it.
Windows isnt secure, because microsoft made it that way.
>>
>>58304127
Windows can play games linux can't.

Therefore windows is linux but better.
>>
>>58304086
The argument was that only fat virgins who live at home use linux though....?
>>
>>58302912
>Don't need to download external programs to have basic functionality
>Using Arch Linux and saying this
>>
>>58304146
Just playing some Quantum Break on my gentoo machine with perfect perfomance.

Can you install your windows shit on a zfs pool and boot from it?
>>
>>58302761
opengl is faster than directx. But I agree linux is shit in most cases. I'm using Lubuntu on an old laptop though because it is very lightweight
>>
>>58302761
you are right, the only reason to use windows is to play games
>>
>>58304700
Don't forget a sane shell, Office, and other productivity suites with lacking alternatives on Linux(Photoshop).......
>>
>>58304147
Yes, and I'm pretty sure fat virgins who live at home don't shitpost from their servers
>>
>>58304729

>sane shell
you mean powershell or cmd? pffff

>productivity suit
with libre office you can do pretty much everything you will ever need.

>photoshop
if you want to create dank memes gimp is more than enough
>>
>>58302809
you don't have the freedom of running a reliable webserver faggot
>>
>>58303295
>many people are not tech savvy enough to uninstall these things

So the people who are not tech savvy enough to click four times at the very most to uninstall bloatware from their W7/8/10 laptops should be using Linux instead?

Absolutely brilliant.
>>
>>58304929
Not what I said, friend. I said that some people can't remove the bloatware and it bogs down the computer.

And let's be honest here, even grandma's can use ubuntu to open their email and browse facebook. Hell, chromeos is just a striped down version of linux and it'll probably cause them less issues than windows.
>>
>>58302761
The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
>>
>>58302761
>There's no directx so you have low graphics performance
>>58303628
>Yeah but no directx, so shitty performance
DirectX being better is not the reason why ported games runs better on windows, is because the game engines was crafted to work with that os-specific proprietary API in mind. That's the magic of the closed formats and APIs, they allow their owners to lock the market if they have a dominant position, which is in fact an anti-competitive measure.

There exists open standards that can be implemented by multiple competitors properly giving more options to the users and promoting competition. Do we want another IE-like situation? Remember that if microsoft doesn't lose that battle we would be able to browse the internet properly on MS's operative systems and we would have the same argument but about how linux and mac "suck" at web browsing.
>>
>>58305208
*the internet properly only on MS's
>>
File: 1468660938642.png (78KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
1468660938642.png
78KB, 800x700px
>>58303945
I don't know about you but i'm loving this thread so far. Windows fanboys are being literally rekt, they only can use strawmans, ad hominems and name calling when they don't manage to convince anyone.
>>
>>58302787
>that's not a valid argument
why lul
i just don't play games so it doesn't affect me
i still have a windows installation so if i _really_ want directx i can just reboot
>>
Linux runs TF2 and OpenRCT. That's all I ever play.
>>
>>58304797
>libre office and GIMP is good enough!!!!

no
>>
>>58302787
>at least not at a proper frame rate or performance
Linux user here, the difference in the worst cases is 50% for ports of games which already was bad ports of console games. On bad ports with decent PC versions is usually 25% difference, for example in case of feral's ports. In my own experience for games made with multi-platform engines from the start the performance is generally the same or better.

The biggest piece of the puzzle is the AMD drivers, the previous estimations assumes nvidia cards with the proprietary drivers of course. Historically AMD's GPUs has been problematic on linux but thanks to their efforts on opening their drivers they're shaping very good. If you want good open source driver support and you don't mind about the performance too much (mostly due to incompleteness of the implementation and lack of optimizations rather than the quality of the code), AMD is the best option right now on linux. That's my two cents.
>>
>>58305579
>no
Depends on what you need. For most edits GIMP is very nice and i haven't had any problem with LO. Compatibility with MSO while may be a problem i'm aware that's artificially forced incompatibility coming from microsoft, fortunately everyone i know has a gmail account so i can just send them a google docs link if the document needs to be edited by multiple parties, otherwise i always use PDF.
>>
more like indirect y
>>
>>58305788
>Linux
>i-it's good enough!
>>
>>58306396
nice reasoning and nice strawman.
>>
>>58302761
holy shit you're right!! brb switching to windows
>>
>>58302761
Video Games stopped being good around 2008. Any game I could want either is libre, has a native port, or works in wine.
>>
File: nothing_to_hide.jpg (106KB, 678x1032px) Image search: [Google]
nothing_to_hide.jpg
106KB, 678x1032px
>>58306396
>Windows
>I-its not so bad!
>There's literally nothing wrong with it!
>It's the only desktop OS it should exists!
>I-it's just telemetry to make it better!
>It's private data i don't care about anyway!
>If you give a certain piece of data to one company you must give all your private data to all companies because otherwise you're being hypocrite!
>I have nothing to hide!
>It's not mistreating, it's just a company doing company-like things.
>It's not microsoft being anti-competitive, anything goes on war, we don't need hypocrite moralfag hippies!
>Google are a buch of anti-competitive bastards because they don't support WP, competition on the mobile space against android would benefit everyone!
>It doesn't matter if supporting their practices doesn't benefits me. I defend them because my work depends on a program that only works on their platform!
>Customization is for nerds anyway!
>It doesn't matter if there exist multiple competing programs that supports your platform, if this specific program doesn't support your platform and you use that platform you must be unemployed! it's the industry fucking standard!
>No one needs that feature windows doesn't have, the average joe doesn't care!
>Android is not linux! that doesn't count as linux being successful!
>how you dare to criticize microsoft you autistic neet!
>Package managers are stupid anyway!
>Linux will never be relevant because you need to use the terminal to hack the mainframe for everything!
>Are you kidding me? you just need to run this commands and third party programs to opt out from those usage terms you don't like!
>You need to waste time editing thousands of text files just to feel you're a hacker on linux!
>Widows is not for idiots who cannot reinstall or configure their OS properly!

Really makes you think.
>>
>>58306996
Name one (1) distro with the same level of polish and usability as Windows!
>>
>>58307071
>Name one (1) distro with the same level of polish and usability as Windows!
I would say ubuntu and it's flavors but no matter what i say, once you involve tastes in your argument it's bound to end as a stalemate.

I can do it too, look: For me windows sucks, and it's unstable and microsoft mistreats their users and we should push for open standards to promote competition. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>58307160
>ubuntu

unity is garbage lol
Xorg is a cancer and needs to be put down
>>
>>58302761
Video games are not useful.
Linux is not the ideal platform for gaming.
Ergo Linux is quite useful.
(But you're actually wrong, there's many games on Linux, just not your favorite, mainstream games)
>>
>>58307214
Again, once tastes are involved this is futile exercise because you provide an opinion but not a reasoning and i guess people often does this because it's better to force an stalemate rather than providing a bigger counterattack surface by issuing specific claims adnd reasonings you'll not be able to defend. In short this way you cannot win but you also cannot lose and you have a chance to convince the readers who doesn't know about the topic because they don't hanllegen your claims anyway.
>>
>>58307071
mint
>>
File: typical_error.png (30KB, 502x400px) Image search: [Google]
typical_error.png
30KB, 502x400px
>>58307485
It's not a matter of taste

Unity is a sluggish UI overtop a CLI interface... look at this shit in pic for example why this is bad

Xorg is just shit
>>
>>58307535
>GNOME

l-lol
>>
>>58307539
holy shit i never saw an error in all the years I used windows, and /g/ is pretty much in agreement that Unity is the best DE for linux
>>
>>58307539
I can also show a lot of instances of windows and Mac failing for example, if your argument is that software can fail because it's not perfect that doesn't help a lot.
>>
>>58307577
Never said windows didn't have issues, but they generally communicate them to the user much more clearly than just "here's a cli output i dunno lol"

>/g/ is pretty much in agreement that Unity is the best DE for linux

hahahahahaaaaaa

It's linux, all DEs are shit

Use IceWM and KMS like a normal, efficient person
>>
>>58307591
no, the point is that there's really no point in using a DE when all it does is get in the way of core OS functionality for the purpose of poorly implemented UX (again thanks to Xorg making everything sluggish and poorly composed)
>>
>>58302761
>There's no directx so you have low graphics performance
>What is OpenGL
>What is Vulkan
>>
>>58302787
Too many better things I can be doing on Linux desu.
>>
>run manjaro i3 with onboard intel graphics
>set up a kvm virtual machine with windows 10 (thinking of going to 7 actually)
>passthrough my gtx 660
>use synergy to share mouse/keyboard

Livin' the dream.
>>
Act up and grow up. There's a very good reason behind Linux and MacOS not being towards games and gamers. Linux is better/best and more geared and suited towards programming and development. MacOS is geared towards norms, casuals, programmers, developers and multimedia that are in and work in higher multimedia industries, film, production, audio and music, imagery. Besides MacOS is better and best geared towards these usage purposes and user-bases. Windows and Linux don't hold a candle to nor come anywhere close to Apple's and MacOS's and software geared for/towards high multimedia industry users, it doesn't fuck around, it's serious software unlike Windows and Linux software which both look like rubbish in comparison when ends meet.
>>
>>58303136
install vim/emacs
>>
>>58307621
dafuq is icewm? using i3 right now
>>
>>58308980
The unfortunate truth, MacOS gets shit done. It's too bad that it's owned by Apple.
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.