[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a new laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: e6230_ges6_04.jpg (45KB, 638x641px) Image search: [Google]
e6230_ges6_04.jpg
45KB, 638x641px
I've searched through the catalog, but haven't found a suitable thread:

I'm currently rocking a refurb Dell e6230 with an HDD. Would I even notice a cpu/gpu performance bump if I were to move over to a sklylake/kaby lake system, or would I be just thorwing money away and should just stick to upgrading the HDD to an SSD?
>>
>i5-3320m
You probably won't notice much different in a skylake laptop. Maybe more battery life, because of the smaller power consumption if you're looking for that.
If you upgrade, the screen is probably the first thing you notice that will get much better.

Since it seems there is sata 3, I would just buy an ssd.
>>
>>58300765
with the "long run time" 6 cell battery in the image mine runs for about 7 hours.

with the Flush fitting 3 cell it runs for about 4.

Honestly that is a long time one would use a computer without being close to a power outlet. Buses, Trains, and most planes have outlets now.
>>
>>58300765
>>58300805
Battery life is not much of a concern for me desu, I rarely go without being plugged in for more than an hour and very rarely for more than 3 hours.

I was more so wondering what % performance increase I could expect out of Kaby compared to Ivy, assuming same frequencies and how much better is the igpu in Kaby. It's really hard to find generations' comparison going so far back...
>>
>>58300849
apples to apples, you are most likely not going to gain very much. The majority of performance increases we have gotten in the last 2-3 generation of CPU are not for computation power, mostly its just a Performance per watt increase.

Which as the other person stated gets you better battery life and a little bit cooler of a laptop.

As a Personal Anecdote after i re-oiled the fan on my e6230 the CPU temps never run above 80*, locked in at 3.29Ghz and it never drops out of that. (i5-3360M).
Most of the ultra portable 12" laptops ive played with in stores right now sacrificed cooling for style and throttle when worked hard.

If you want more performance you would be better off getting something with a quadcore Vs our 2core laptops.
>>
>>58300904
Yea, I've cleaned the cooler quite recently, so it shouldn't throttle.

>The majority of performance increases we have gotten in the last 2-3 generation of CPU are not for computation power, mostly its just a Performance per watt increase.
How about gpu performance?
>>
>>58301108
The GPU performance on computers with dedicated cards are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were in 2012.

That being said, the intel 4000 HD in that laptop is good enough for Blue Ray Rips, and I play Skyrim with Medium Textures and all view Distances set to max and it stays in the low 30 fps region.

Its not stellar, but honestly? who is gaming or doing GPU computing on an ultra-portable laptop? If you want a killer GPU, get a workstation or "gaming" laptop in the 14-17" display range, or buy a desktop.
>>
>>58301108
forgot:
the e6230 supports PCIe 1X16 / 2x8 / 1x8. you could buy a decent older GPU and use that through the express card slot if you need to have a GPU when stationary.
>>
>>58300705
I've went from a 3210m (2012) model, also dell, to a new dell with a 7200u. the difference isn't huge but it's there, always a slight improvement
>>
>>58301227
>>58301269
Thanks for the input, much appreciated
>>
>>58300705
I have the exact same machine. I'm confused though, because mine came new with an SSD and 8GB RAM... I think someone jacked yours on the refurb. For general usage it's no faster than my quad core i7 tower. Pretty much just game graphics, but I run loonix on my latitude anyway. Everything has kind of stagnated lately hardware wise so I'll probably keep it until it dies.

Tl;Dr
I'd just put an SSD in and keep it.
>>
>>58301305
also I must add that the integrated graphics (I jumped from a hd 4000 to a hd 620) is very much great, the hd 620 is pretty powerful for an integrated card. if that matters for you,
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.