[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac Pro to be discontinued

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 20

File: MacPro2013_35781456_07.jpg (33KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
MacPro2013_35781456_07.jpg
33KB, 770x433px
Apple will stop selling Mac Pro when the current stock in inventory is depleted.

There will not be a replacement high-end, stand-alone desktop product.
>>
Who used it to begin with?
>>
people still buy Mac's?
>>
Anybody who needed a mac pro and bought one after they replaced the beautiful, elegant design of the old one with the fucking trashcan is an idiot and deserves their punishment.
>>
>>58294785
Macs are cool, I just don't get the point of this waste paper basket looking thing.
>>
>>58294583
[citation needed]
>>
>>58294583
Source? Not that I'm surprised, but I really wonder where Apple is going in the PC space. With MacOS, and the "new" MBP, killing their Displays & Routers, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple exited the x86 line altogether.
>>
too bad the same can't be said for their other products
>>
Excellent source!
>>
>>58294802
>>58294797
Would you buy a Mac if Apple released something like Dell Precision (ATX motherboard, standard PCI-E slots for GPUs) with only 15% Apple Tax?
>>
>>58294827
Will Microsoft save their asses again?
>>
>>58294785
Not for high-end work, that's for sure.
>>
>>58294856
hopefully not. its time to let that meme company die horribly
>>
>>58294853
I'd buy the MBA if it costed me as much as an equivalent zenbook with the 15% apple tax because of OSX.
>>
>>58294913
the funny thing is that this is the truth, yet /g/ will vehemently deny it

there is nothing wrong with overcharging people for a fashionable product. its how luxury brands work

want to know what is wrong though? when you take your toy onto a chinese cooking board full of IT nerds and tell them that you're better for using an inferior device
>>
>>58295046
'''''luxury'''''

It's Conspicuous consumption. We both benefit from it because we don't actively pay into it and reap from the options and competition who are forced to offer cheaper prices for the same or superior shit to out-do the brand loyalty of Apple but it doesn't make it a good direction for the markets.

But we all have stockholme syndrome for being cucked, don't we.
>>
File: citation_needed.png (11KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
citation_needed.png
11KB, 150x150px
>>
>>58295046
>there is nothing wrong with overcharging people for a fashionable product
Except this wasn't meant to be a luxury product. I bet there are some richfaggots that use Mac Pros as desktops but those would be in the minority. I have no issue with people buying $1000 fashion phones but this is supposed to be a machine for professionals.
>>
>first they left the server market and killed the excellent Xserve line
>now they're killing off the Mac Pro
>Next they'll kill the Mac Mini
>The Macbook(Pro) line will then go full custom ARM and emulate x86

Tell me I'm wrong
>>
>>58295046

Its not a luxury brand you fucking mongoloid. Apple computers are always more expensive because they come with their own operating system. Does Dell make its own OS, does HP make OSes for their machines? Does Lenovo make custom operating systems? No. Yet they're starting to sell shit at similar prices to Macs with not too much difference in specs and manufacturing costs.

You're being jewed by them and not Apple. They're counting on you not to understand the value in Macs and they're doing very well right now because you're all clueless.
>>
>>58295270
but, they all include an OS

Also, Linux > MacOS
>>
>>58295257
>killed the excellent Xserve line
It was DOA. The product was good but made absolutely no sense whatsoever in the server market.

You're probably not wrong about the rest.
>>
>>58294797
It still baffles me that they did that.
The old Mac Pros and G5s were some of the best looking towers I've ever seen.
The internals were also very cleverly arranged.
>>
>>58295270
They're too busy pushing computing forward with shit like The Machine
>>
>>58295270
>Apple computers are always more expensive because they come with their own operating system.
Nobody is this dumb.
>>
>>58295227
>>58295270
here is one of many definitions of luxury, but this is from merriam webster
"something that is expensive and not necessary"

>They're counting on you not to understand the value in Macs and they're doing very well right now because you're all clueless
lol
I will admit I have never used a Mac, but I used to have an iPhone back in 2011. I had to jailbreak it to do simple tasks that are done on android, what value is there in a walled garden for a professional? for the average user that is great as they are less prone to fuck things up, but again, guess what field most of the people on /g/ are in?

maybe mac os is different but I can't see how much of a stretch it is considering the way apple handles their mobile division.
and I'm not sure what their desktops are like, but I can't imagine they are that different from the laptops in regards to how restrictive they are. Want to replace a battery? Replace or upgrade ram? Good luck.

also ad hominem
>>
>>58295287
>>58295378

>I am literally too fucking stupid to understand what 'their own' means

Slapping a generic fucking Windows version onto your machines with some basic drivers for your hardware is NOT your own operating system. Anti-Apple spergs are the dumbest people I encounter on here.
>>
The worst thing about Macs losing relevance is that it will lead to OS X / MacOS losing relevance.
It was the only properly working OS with lots of developer support next to Windows. But it's also a Unix which is a huge plus.

They've eliminated every mac that a developer might consider.
iMacs have always been overpriced Desktop PCs. Yes, the screens were great, but that hardly matters.

The mac mini was a good choice until they replaced it with the unupgradable 2Core piece of shit.

The Macbook (and the Air) is nonviable. It may have been viable for web developers some years ago, but now that the average node.js project has a higher build time than a 900kloc C++ program with lots of template metaprogramming, it's too slow.

The Macbook "Pro" was ideal. Until 2016, where Apple added the quotes around the "Pro".

The Mac Pro was great, but they threw it into a trash can and sold you that instead.
>>
>>58295407

A Mac and your 2011 iPhone are very, very different.

>replacing RAM and batteries in 2017

We don't live in those times anymore. A future RAM upgrade will no longer revive a 2017 laptop in 2024.
>>
>>58295420
Those companies still need to pay MS.

I could make the same argument that slapping some shit tier proprietary software on top of BSD isn't exactly 'their own' OS but I'm not going to.

I'm still in awe that retards like you, that think Apple products are expensive due to the OS, exist.
>>
>>58295472
I think the point he's making is that it's actually far cheaper to pay for an OEM license to attach Windows to your laptop than it is to develop your own proprietary OS exclusively for your laptop.
>>
>>58295525
more hours went into debian than any other sofware in the history of humanity. and its free.

also;

debian > mac os
>>
>>58295461
>A future RAM upgrade will no longer revive a 2017 laptop in 2024.

almost entirely agree with you, but there are still laptops being made with less than 8gb

once the day comes where 8gb is seen as a minimum then I think a ram upgrade is simply redundant
however I do still feel batteries should be able to be upgraded. say what you want, but there is a reason /g/ shills those thinkpads so much

I use a t430 with ssd and 8gb of ram and it provides me with such excellent performance that i actually sold my desktop. ever notice how all the anons complain about how they build these crazy setups and only end up using the internet anyways?
>>
>>58295590
Sure, but he's not arguing about which one took more time to develop, he's talking about which one cost more to do between paying for an OEM license and developing your own proprietary OS.
>>
>>58294583
Who cares?
>>
>>58295472
>>58295613
No. What he's suggesting is that the development of the OS is what justifies the price difference. Shit, they probably spend more on advertising and their faggy stores than on the OS.
>>
>>58294583
Why does it look like a coffee machine though?
>>
>>58295642
If it costs more because of advertising that still means it costs more, anonymous.
>>
>>58295450
>iMacs have always been overpriced Desktop PCs. Yes, the screens were great, but that hardly matters.

How does that hardly matter? A 5k monitor with similar specs to the screen on the 5k iMac costs around $1000.

The only bad part about iMacs is the mobile GPU(that it's AMD)
>>
>>58295689
Except that isn't what I said now is it? Still, if they spend more on advertising to shift their product instead of on the actual product itself, that speaks volumes of the company.
>>
>>58295653
creative baristas
>>
>>58295720
For developers, I mean. Sure, font rendering that looks nicer than even printed media is a joy for the eyes, but not much more.
>>
>>58295730
Okay, anon.
>>
>>58294785

Hey, Mac might be low end in many ways, but at least they won't spy on you.
>>
>>58295875
BAHHHHHHH AHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>58295875
funny guy
>>
>>58295875
>thousands and thousands of times!

also the poland incident
>>
File: Tom-Hanks.jpg (28KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Hanks.jpg
28KB, 600x338px
>>58295875
>>
File: 1481547669187.jpg (39KB, 477x479px) Image search: [Google]
1481547669187.jpg
39KB, 477x479px
>>58294583
>implying the mac pro was ever high-end
>>
>>58295472

I'm in awe of retards like you who think Apple shit is 'overpriced' despite always getting what you want for the money; a well made machine with top ranking support which runs its own custom OS which is also not some niche bullshit but something you can run basically any program on.

You're that stupid you think paying an OEM license thing is the same as having a part of your company devoted to developing and maintaining software for multiple platforms which also need to work flawlessly with each other in an ecosystem. Sure, paying MS a check for a desktop OS is the same thing.
>>
>>58296125
>a well made machine
That trashcan has horrible cooling capability and is running old hardware
>>
>>58295287
>but, they all include an OS
Most OEMs ship their computers with an advertising platform, not an operating system.
>>
>>58295257
>ARM and emulate x86
Is that possible without being insanely slow? Every non-RISC instruction would have to be done with several instructions instead.
>>
desktop is dead.
>>
File: images (7).jpg (18KB, 414x355px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
18KB, 414x355px
Daily reminder this faggot runs apple to the ground and steve is rolling in his grave
>>
>>58296475
Yes. ARM is that fast now. Microsoft demoed it.
>>
File: steve-jobs-hiv-1024x819.jpg (132KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
steve-jobs-hiv-1024x819.jpg
132KB, 1024x819px
>>58296728
>this faggot runs apple to the ground and steve is rolling in his grave

Ummm, you do know that Steve Jobs had AIDS, right?
>>
>>58296728
Him being gay is not an issue, his corporate decisions are.
>>58296824
That's a known falsehood.
>>
>>58296877
>being gay is not an issue
>t. macfaggot
>>
>>58294610
homosexuals and people with way too much money.

>>58295450
tl;dr they are slowly killing a golden goose.
>>
>>58297123
>tl;dr they are slowly killing a golden goose.

Indeed. And it's going to spiral downwards very quickly.
No viable macs for developers mean less interest in developing for MacOS.
Less interest in MacOS will make MacOS less interesting for new Developers and average users and will thus lower interest in Macs, which will, in turn, lower interest in MacOS even more.

Killing off actual pro devices in favor of "prosumer" devices is a short sighted mistake. It will have a noticeable, positive effect on Apple's turnover in the short run, but it will be a disaster in the long run.

How do these "marketing experts" even keep their jobs?
>>
nah, Mac Pro is going to be refreshed with Vega GPUs. have a few birdies in the industry.
>>
Were Macs something more than a Facebook machine at any point though? Apple's attempt at a workstation were always pathetic.

Apple ≠ actual computing
>>
>>58297380
You could say that about almost any computer. What the fuck do normies do on Windows that they can't do on OS X? Most things people do have been turned into some SaaS bullshit walled gardens.
>>
>>58297361
>have a few birdies in the industry
Your mom is fucking a janitor at Apple?
>>
>>58296728

>le jobs rolling in grave meme

I remember when everyone said everything Steve did was dumb. Nobody ever praised Steve Jobs here. Now someone else is CEO he was apparently a saint. This board just loves to be contrarian, that's all it is. If Cook left and someone else did something you'd be praising him.
>>
>>58297815

Steve made dumb decisions but they're pretty small compared to Tim Cook's incompetence across the board. Even if they did replace him I don't see anything changing since the next CEO will be one of the 'yes men' currently serving under Cook.
>>
File: 2012-11-27-puck.png (174KB, 777x518px) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-27-puck.png
174KB, 777x518px
>>58297815

Yep Steve Jobs gave us this shit.
>>
>>58294583
this piece of shit needed to die.

> single CPU socket
> non-upgradeable anything, especially GPUs
> shared power/thermal limits with everything on a shared heatsink
> no 10+GbE built in, or a fucking PCIe slot to add a card for it

Jesus Christ, who the fuck would buy a $6k+ graphics-oriented workstation that they couldn't even connect to a 10 gigabit LAN?
How the fuck did they expect people to exchange data quickly, by swapping external Thunderbolt drives?
>>
>>58294853
i would if they actually hired americans
>>
>>58298338
How much data do you transfer that 1G is too slow?
>>
>>58298396
Opening RAW photos from a decent SLR over 1GbE is laggy, which bottlenecks even a single HDD nowadays.

Frankly anybody who even uses a NAS media share over 1GbE probably has gotten at least a little annoyed at transfer times for something.
>>
>>58298454
I'm running 100M at home, but also the most demanding thing I do is stream 1080p from my NAS.

At work we run 10g at our core.
>>
>>58294610
graphic designers and repro studios with too much money. anyone else switched to imacs or pc.
>>
>>58296016
It most certainly was 2012 and earlier dumby
>>
>>58298633
The so called high end ones were 8 grand for the same hardware in a Windows build that could be bought for a thousand.
>>
>>58298689

The cheaper hardware was useless when pushing Windows. Will you people never understand? Its about the overall package. No point having 4 Titan X cards on a machine running Windows XP.
>>
>>58298454
I run 1gbit at home and I definitely can't offload stuff like scratch to my arrays because its only about 80-100MB
>>
>>58294583
Hackintosh has come such a long way in recent years that no idiot will even pay the price for a shitty Mac Pro. Seriously, with my new build I didn't even need to change any setting or mess with boot params. I literally put in my hackintosh USB and it booted on first try...
>>
>>58295407
>I will admit I have never used a Mac, but I used to have an iPhone back in 2011. I had to jailbreak it to do simple tasks that are done on android, what value is there in a walled garden for a professional?
how can you claim to be tech literate while projecting your shit experience from a fucking smartphone onto a drastically different platform you've never even used?

the trashcan is absolutely indefensible but this is also an absolutely retarded equivalence that the /g/ collective needs to stop pushing in serious context, OS X is hardly different from any other desktop platform through a practical lens and does nothing to prevent users from doing what they *need* on their systems (read: actually using it, not ricing and other shallow aesthetic bikeshedding we use as a crutch to feel "productive")

>Want to replace a battery? Replace or upgrade ram? Good luck.
it's retarded and unnecessary to gimp serviceability but acting like it's still a necessity is kind of misguided, with the ever-slower advancement of tangible performance, by the time you need a RAM upgrade or a damn battery replacement (ironically the only laptops I've ever had this problem with are thinkpads and even then my 600E is turning 17 this year on an original battery that still gets a good 3 hours most of the time) that thing is going to be mothball fodder anyway and no cheapo RAM upgrade is going to save it the same way it rarely saves any other vomit box operating way past its performant life
>>
>>58298689
Dual-socket workstations commanded far higher prices than your beast gaming shitbox.
>>
File: mac.png (104KB, 1139x691px) Image search: [Google]
mac.png
104KB, 1139x691px
Mac hardware is outdated garbage
Good thing I installed mac (hackintosh) on my 5 yr old toshiba.
It has higher specs than the latest mac book pro, and cost me a $50 mac keyboard and $30 mac usb ethernet.
>>
>>58298326
Wouldn't that be Johnny
>>
>>58298338
It was solid at the time it released, but they haven't touched it in what, 3 years?

A modernised version would be pretty sweet - broadwell-e cpu, ddr4 ram, thunderbutt 3, 10g ethernet, new vega/pascal gpus...

But I don't expect much out of apple these days except another meme phone that's barely different to last year's model

>>58298520
fucking imacs and their mobile gpus reeee
>>
No source. No proof, no links, fuck all.

And half of /g/ believes it.

Oh btw im Bill Gates and im telling you, you're all fucking retarded
>>
>>58298689
Not if you're buying workstation parts senpai

ECC ram and Xeon E5 cpus don't come cheap. GPUs are a few thousand bucks each too.
>>
>>58297341
>How do these "marketing experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "banking experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "political experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "military experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "home loan experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "legal experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "IT security experts" even keep their jobs?
>How do these "web dev experts" even keep their jobs?

Pro tip: most people are idiots. Most people can't do their jobs. Most managers are idiots and can't recognize that most people aren't doing their jobs.

Probably 10% of the world's population actually accomplishes something important that keeps humanity functioning.
>>
>>58297380
>Apple's attempt at a workstation were always pathetic.
Are you on dope?

IIci
IIfx
Quadra
Power Mac 9600
Power Mac G4s
Power Mac G5
Mac Pro before the trash can
...and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
>>
>>58295270
>Does Dell make its own OS
Yes they own VMware

>HP make OSes for their machines
Yes they sell HPUX

>Does Lenovo make custom operating systems?
IBM did when before they sold out their consumer line - AIX
>>
>>58298338
>> no 10+GbE built in, or a fucking PCIe slot to add a card for it
They sell Thunderbolt 10GbE and 40GbE NICs.
>>
File: large_2341_X10DRFFCP.jpg (2MB, 1000x2219px) Image search: [Google]
large_2341_X10DRFFCP.jpg
2MB, 1000x2219px
>>58294853
even a proprietary layout with PCIE slots and 2.5inch bays (and a CPU upgrade path that doesn't include sending your mac pro to a third party) would be an improvement
>>
File: 1480646271397.png (290KB, 1230x822px) Image search: [Google]
1480646271397.png
290KB, 1230x822px
>>58294853
>macshit

Never again.
>>
AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
The problem is Apple is still swimming on money and selling their shit at a pretty fast pace. They have no need to put an actual computer worth a shit on the market and the truth is, they could. Heck, Apple could turn a lot of things around, they just don't. They do have the potential, they just waste it on shit that happens to still sell well like the iPhones and the Macbook Pros.

What I don't understand is how they still sell iMacs. Pretty underpowered, the cheapest versions are still quite expensive and have shitty standard resolutions. Building a PC and installing hackintosh is a much cheaper option in that regard, and also pretty functional nowadays.
>>
>>58299146
This right here is why I come to this site, this 0.000000000001% of posts that are pure gold
>>
>>58299146
My dad believes the ruling elite and the big corporations have a lot of things under control, and it's pretty hard for them to fuck anything up.
>>
>>58298964
>Mac hardware is outdated garbage
So you installed macOS on an unsupported even older piece of garbage.
>>
>>58294583
So Apple will be making pretty much literal facebook machines from now on. Really stupid to kill every product ment for serious work, but they probably don't care that much since some people will still buy their products.
>>
>>58294583
Given they shut down the OSX development team and moved them into iOS development last year AAPLJ95,1 is probably going to be the last Mac.
>>
apple is dum
>>
>>58299301
>sell Thunderbolt 10GbE and 40GbE NICs.

they are external HL/HH PCIe enclosures with their own power supplies and external power cables.

what the devices needed was a 10GBASE-T jack and a SFP+/QSFP port.
>>
>>58295287
Yea, no. The first thing I did when I bought a windows machine for my gf was wiping it off and installed a stock windows 10. Even fucking Dells come with disgusting crapware preinstalled. One can only imagine how bad the situation is with Asus or Acer laptops.
>>
>>58298964
Post specs in Toshiba you lying cuck.
>>
doa LMAO
>>
>>58294583

What about Mac Mini?

Maybe they will release a high performance version called "Mac Mini Pro"?
>>
>>58301747
I read somewhere they're to discontinue these too. Too lazy to google the article though
>>
>>58296254
This
>>
>>58294583
It's a overpriced computer with poor airflow that can't even run any games. Im surprised it's lasted as long as it has tbqh.
>>
>>58301875
>can't even run games
>>>/v/
>>
File: Cray_1_IMG_9126.jpg (148KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Cray_1_IMG_9126.jpg
148KB, 1600x1066px
>>58294802
Cray also used a cylindrical design for its CPU core in order to minimize distance between components. No one complained it looked like a huge trash can. I suppose Apple went a little too far.
>>
Realistically they blew it when they ditched PPC. They should have hedged their bets and kept the desktops on PPC. Intel doesn't do custom CPUs for anyone so they lost anyway to have any hardware advantage over intel OEMs.

Had they stuck with PPC a little longer they probably could have had PPC in iOS devices instead of ARM. iPhone sales would have given them the leverage for custom PPC cpus across their entire product range.
>>
File: concerned.gif (835KB, 246x138px) Image search: [Google]
concerned.gif
835KB, 246x138px
>>58295875
>>
>>58302066

>they abandoned PPC because it was literally impossible to make a functional laptop with a G5 processor
>somehow they're supposed to put a G5 processor into a phone of all things
>>
File: 1482018408869.jpg (126KB, 1254x786px) Image search: [Google]
1482018408869.jpg
126KB, 1254x786px
lol
>>
File: prodhdr_rackmacpro12816.jpg (90KB, 899x285px) Image search: [Google]
prodhdr_rackmacpro12816.jpg
90KB, 899x285px
What is the next courageous shape they will try ?
>I hope it is a sphere
>>
>>58295450
I use MBP 2016 model. Nothing wrong with it for programming and despite hacker new shills I get all day battery life.

I don't really give a fuck what anyone says about how I should spend my money.
>>
>>58295875
Okay, NSA. Whatever you say.
>>
kek. so much for the "muh Apple is superior for audio and video production" meme. Macs are for teenaged girls and reddit gentlesirs.
>>
>Mac Pro is a high end workstation.
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S48233973
>>
>>58302563
Dodecahedron
>>
>>58302798
it was high end back when ivy bridge-ep was current

reeeee fucking fruit cunts it was the only mac i actually liked too
>>
>>58302563
puckered brown torus?
>>
>>58294583
>Apple
>high-end
>>
How long before Xcode is ported to iOS, and Apple EOLs the entire Mac line?
>>
File: 1479772993610.jpg (54KB, 480x560px) Image search: [Google]
1479772993610.jpg
54KB, 480x560px
>>58302563
hexadecachoron
>>
>>58294610

>homosexuals

NASA and anyone interested in Machine Learning.
>>
>>58305519
>4 year old GPUs
>Radeon
>machine learning

pls no
>>
>>58299770

Improve your shit code, recursivefag.
>>
>>58305531

I don't think you've googled ML and FirePro's lately, famalam.
>>
>>58305565
90% of ML shit only runs on Nvidia CUDA.

People are starting to port away from CUDA after Nvidia jacked up the price of Tesla and Quadro, but most are still CUDA-only.
>>
File: macfag.jpg (162KB, 941x679px) Image search: [Google]
macfag.jpg
162KB, 941x679px
>>58294583
>>
>>58297815
Jobs made some prior interesting ideas look good.
Touchscreens?
Sure, awesome.
How about a kick-ass(for the time) convenient and easy to use machine with it's own app ecosystem?
>>
>>58305720
I mean is there something inherently wrong with wanting an internet box/typewriter that holds its value?

Macs are like the BMWs of computers, sure you can get something better cheaper if you put your own work into it but the computer will keep its value and be reasonable good.
>>
>>58294583

So what does this mean for their other lines, are they going to focus more on them?

Does this mean their next iMac reveal is going to be something like the Surface Studio because that shit is sold out until early spring everywhere I fucking look and seems to be a iMac killer.
>>
Ever since they revealed the first trashcan they just killed the entire line.
>>
>>58305418
Hitler did set up a bit of a lifetime warranty and I will be happy
>>
File: 1479044553887.jpg (138KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479044553887.jpg
138KB, 800x600px
>Hey you know the only people who use our products in a professional setting?
>You mean graphic designers?
>Yeah let's fuck them and our professional credibility too
>>
>>58305894
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>58306063
Is graphic design anything to with STEM though?

It's about time we get rid of apple it's just perpetuating this fucking Art culture
>>
>>58305894
>Macs are like the BMWs of computers
This.

BMWs are expensive "luxury" products with experimental features like acceleration problems, engine problems, onboard computer malfunctions, etc. Literally expensive just so you can say it was expensive so you can make povertyfags jealous. Yet, to anyone with a brain you just look like a gullible idiot.

Or you can get a cheap reliable Toyota that actually works and gets double the mileage.
>>
>>58306121

>Muh stem

You aren't even in stem you neet
>>
File: 1472538440122.jpg (890KB, 2393x2688px) Image search: [Google]
1472538440122.jpg
890KB, 2393x2688px
>>58305894
>Macs are like the BMWs of computers,
>mediocre trash sold at extreme markup to clueless idiots

Sounds about right.
>>
>>58306160
Fwd shitbox vs rwd paired with God's engine, the straight 6
>>
>>58305519
>NASA
NASA is basically a corpse at this point.
>Machine Learning
You'll learn as much about from computer outta this trash can as you will any you find on side of the road.
>>
>want to buy some used 2013 macbook pro or whatever to play around with, and dualboot some linux for whatever i might need;
>ebay has some stuff, but the shipping cost is higher than the laptop;
>>
>>58305418
Hitler and the other is the best way to get Internet to the front of the
>>
>>58305670

>90% of ML shit only runs on Nvidia CUDA

And that 10% of the upper echelon?
>OpenCL
>>
>>58298633
>single cpu
>high end
>>
>>58295450
>The Macbook "Pro" was ideal. Until 2016, where Apple added the quotes around the "Pro".
daily reminder the generation before the emojibar didn't even say MacBook Pro on it because you knew it was a good machine

Emojibook now has MacBook Pro written on it in big letters to remind you that you are typing professional emojis
>>
>>58294583
Guess the only good thing to do with these are to harvest the CPU, RAM and SSD's and use those for a PC build.

Not sure about the RAM (it is RAM that is Mac specific but could work with a PC, it is ECC type and not non-ECC), but certain about the CPU (a normal Xeon CPU, there are quite a few options but they would work with the right PC hardware/ chipset mobo, etc) and mostly confident about the SSD (at best just a generic M.2 Sata SSD, not NVe ready).
>>
>>58305894
>Macs are like BMWs of computers
Yeah, both their user bases are shit
>>
>>58298745
You do realize if they discontinue the Pro that Hackintoshing will be harder right? Less hardware will work natively. It's going to be all laptop mobile hardware when they keep trying to make the iMac thinner.
>>
I can't believe this boring thread is still going. I was hoping to wake up this morning and a few of these garbage threads would be archived but sadly no.
>>
>>58305418
Hitler Didi set up a bunch of time to actually go to the server with any
>>
>>58307438
>Yeah, both their user bases are shit
How are things in Daewoo-land?
>>
>>58307950
I'm pretty sure it's an international phenomenon of rich kids """driving""" m5s
>>
>>58298745

I was about to mention this as well. I did a Hackintosh 5 years ago and it was fairly simple, now it's nearly as easy as any other OS.
>>
>>58306207

I know Lexuses and Toyotas are reliable but I really hate their design and overall brand personalities.
>>
>>58294583
Thank god.
>>
>>58306762
>OpenCL

Absolute cancer.

>we're going to separate GPU code from CPU code, have it be compiled by GPU driver at run time
>no, you can't do static checks on it using actual implementation drivers without having to run the thing first
>your OpenCL code has to be stored as a string inside a C++ program and passed to the GPU driver to be compiled
>just because it passed the compile checks on an LLVM-based static checker doesn't mean the actual implementation driver will let you compile it since OpenCL compiler in the drivers are buggy as shit
>the error messages will be even more cryptic and unhelpful than CUDA compilers

nope
>>
>>58306121
They're part of the STEAM faggotry community. Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math.
>>
they will solely focus on iOS iPhone and iPad.

The end of apple is 5 years away.
>>
File: trash.jpg (96KB, 1200x725px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
96KB, 1200x725px
>>58294583
Don't worry, people can still find use of them.
>>
>>58295315
Yep, sadly they had to throw all that out the window. Intel and Apple screwed their customers with the half-assed Thunderbolt support too.
>>
>>58309011
>The end of apple is 5 years away.
And, like Linux on the desktop, always will be.
>>
>>58298722
>windows xp was the only windows OS in 2012
>>
>>58305519
Literally no one uses macs in machine learning. They use the current generation of GPUs(teslas, w.e.) and computing clusters.

t. Machine Learning academic.
>>
>>58295875
you funny guy

I kill you last
>>
File: 1476184124728.jpg (158KB, 969x819px) Image search: [Google]
1476184124728.jpg
158KB, 969x819px
>>58295875
>won't spy on you.
>>
>>58305418
Hitler and the other is the most important meal of the day of the week and I will be there
>>
>>58305418
Hitler and the other is the best way to get a switch after all of the other people in the world
>>
>>58305894
Except BMWs are unreliable trash and depreciate like hell.
>>
Interesting, so it'll just be laptops then?

>>58310303
At this rate, desktops as a platform will be dead before we get Linux on them.
>>
>>58302563

>that pic

holy shit that's a real thing
>>
>>58294610
People who do video and 3D work.

>>58298520
>graphic designers
The Mac Pro is overkill for graphic design.
>>
>>58311193
Apple has to service warrants by Federal Law. Microsoft and Google volunteer your info, no warrants even needed.

Not at all the same Winshill pajeetfag.
>>
>>58305720
Having been at CERN multiple times this picture always triggers me. At least half of all notebooks you see in this place are MacBooks and I've literally never seen a single person use fucking Windows there. Especially during presentations, MacBooks, MacBooks, MacBooks. And I'm not even using one myself and I don't want to say that makes MacBooks great devices, it's just my observations. Those fucking things are insanely popular among academics.
>>
Only reason Apple is still relevant today is massive early success of iPhone
>>
I never intended to buy one but I've got to say, I'm rather depressed to hear that. Can't say I didn't see it coming though.
>>
>>58314917
Nah, they'd still be the Apple they were, they just wouldn't be the giant they are.
>>
>>58306234

Just pick up a mid 90's Jeep if you want rwd and an inline 6. no need to spend hundreds of thousands where 10k will do
>>
>>58315709
>suggesting a 20 year old SUV as an alternative to a luxury car
>>
>>58315755

241k miles and its handling winter beautifully, you really should get your head checked if you even need your vehicle to be a fashion accessory to your homosexual fuckboi lifestyle
>>
>>58315968
Hey I'm not saying Jeeps suck, I'm just pointing out that you're a goddamned moron for suggesting one as an alternative to a luxury car.
>you really should get your head checked
Oh yeah, having a differing opinion is quite the mental disorder.
>>
>>58315709
>>58315968
Found the Linux user.
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.