[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ubuntu is not free.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

Hello Ubuntu users of /g/,

How do you feel about Ubuntu not being free?

This, barring emphasis with tilde (~) and what's enclosed in curly brackets ({}), is the verbatum IP Policy for Ubuntu:
"Any redistribution of modified versions of Ubuntu must be approved, certified or provided by Canonical if you are going to associate it with the Trademarks{Ie. any mention of Ubuntu, see *1}. Otherwise you must remove and replace the Trademarks and ~will need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries~. This does not affect your rights under any open source licence applicable to any of the components of Ubuntu. If you need us to approve, certify or provide modified versions for redistribution you will require a licence agreement from Canonical, for which ~you may be required to pay~. For further information, please contact us (as set out below)."

*1: this includes all instances of the word ubuntu, including in every version number of software included, which needs to have ubuntu stripped completely from the entire source.

Moreover, Canonical has repeatedly been asked to clarify whether the use of the trademarks would be infringing, and have refused to answer - despite the fact that they could have easily done so. This would imply that they're not going to let people use their binaries, unless they pay for it.

Why does this matter? Because every single instance of Ubuntu that you see run in a cloud solution anywhere, and there's a lot of them, because Ubuntu has become very popular, is a binary version that has been modified to make first setup and configuration possible to be done automatically with only user-supplied information after the virtualization software has spun up a thin-provisioned space for it.

So, it's only a matter of time before Ubuntu is no longer free. How does this make you feel?
>>
>>58287969
Use another distro? They're all pretty much the same in the end
>>
>>58288038
So if they're all the same, they'll all stop being free in the end.
>>
>>58288211
Good one, Rusty. You're a real thinker
>>
>>58287969
Which software freedom do you think is harmed here?
>>
>>58287969
so you're telling me I can't distribute White Power Ubuntu with Disunity DE without getting it approved by Canonical? That I would have to recompile their source code and create my own binaries?

Good thing I don't know how to do that
>>
>>58288258
Close, but no cigar.

>>58288296
Paying Canonical for the rights to redistribute. Canonical requiring a fee for redistribution is inheritly different from companies that sell physical media and only charge for the media+shipping+handling. This will also, like I mentioned in the original post, affect anyone running a cloud virtualization setup since they are in effect both modifying and redistributing Ubuntu without either paying for it or have had the distribution vetted by Canonical.

>>58288315
Just because you can't, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to - it's a central tennant in opensouce that it's free, you only pay if you have to have it on physical media.
>>
>>58287969
Ubuntu doesn't cost anything, retard. It is free.
>>
>>58288462
That's only if you want to use their trademarks.
This is trademark shit, if doesn't fall under free vs. non-free software.

The only thing that falls under free software is that they want you to recompile it for whatever weird reason.
This however doesn't prevent you from redistributing it, so no software-freedom got harmed.
>>
>>58288497
Except when it's not, which Canonical has yet to define, but has as an option for them to make plenty of money.

Enjoy your non-free software.

>>58288530
Yes, meaning you have to strip all instances of Ubuntu from where its used - but your customers will want Ubuntu, yet you can't give them that. You can give them something that in effect is Ubuntu, but they won't know it because you can't tell them using the name Ubuntu. It's a nice little catch-22.
>>
>>58287969
So what? They're trying to protect their trademark, nothing wrong with this
>>
>>58288591
When your customers want some trademark you're out of luck.
This is again not related to non-free software
>>
>>58287969
Don't like it don't use it. Compile your own distribution.
>>
>>58288619
It still means the software becomes non-free, compared to other linux distributions or the BSDs.

>>58288635
And despite this, customers provably want Ubuntu - it's at the heart of the issue.

>>58288660
This is not <previous year minus 20>, I shouldn't have to compile my own damn OS just to use it. If I have to, FOSS has failed for sure.
>>
>>58288789
Not sure if you're baiting or just retarded
>>
I'll just use a different fucking distro. Is there really anyone out there that actually fucking cares?
>>
>>58287969
No worries, Fedora exists
>>
>>58287969
Are you even vegan tho?
>>
>>58287969
they have said so many times: if you want to use their name, ask for their permission. otherwise, just don't use their trademarks.

that doesn't mean it's not free...
>>
>>58287969
what is wrong with a professional software company wanting to select who is using their name and with whom they want to associate themselves with?
>>
>>58288635
>This is again not related to non-free software

>>58288789
>And despite this, customers provably want Ubuntu - it's at the heart of the issue.
you can ask ubuntu to give the source code of the GPL'd programs they distribute, and they will give it to you. in fact, you can get it easily, by running
apt-get source some_gpld_program

you are mixing unrelated topics here m8
>>
>>58288530
>recompile it for some weird reason
Wouldn't that be just to ensure you're not doing a terrible job cosmetically removing their IP from the binaries?
They just want to make you remove the IP from the source code
>>
>>58289349
>IP
This isn't about IP to begin with, it's trademarks.
You also don't remove shit from binaries.
>>
>>58287969
canonical and ubuntu violated the principles of free software numerous times as well as violated the GPL license.

It's not the case here however.
Trademark law, is not intended to promote any particular way of acting, but simply to enable buyers to know what they are buying.
>>
I think you meant "tenet"
>>
File: Wiener-loop1.jpg (245KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wiener-loop1.jpg
245KB, 810x1080px
>>58289255
Absolutely nothing, and strong trademarks are one of the foundations of a free market. OP is a faggot.
>>
>>58287969
>How do you feel about Ubuntu not being free?
I don't give a single fuck, to be quite honest.

As long as it's free to use and I can compile my own kernel, it's all fine and dandy and I don't care about Canonical's trademark issues.
>>
>>58288789
Ask someone on your usergroup to install a GNU/Linux OS on your computer then.
>>
>>58287969
Like installing Gentoo.
>>
>>58288497
Free (Free beer) != Free (Freedom)
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.