[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anti-static wrist straps on not wrists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Can anti-static wrist straps effectively be used on things other than wrists? For example I have a piece of audio equipment with a metal chassis and when I touch it, there's a static shock and I can hear it through my speakers and headphones. If I were to wrap an anti-static wrist strap around the metal chassis and of course ground it to another piece of metal, would that solve the problem?
>>
>>58283025
Probably.
>>
>>58283025
Linus Twerk Tips puts his on his ankle so it doesn't get in the way/on camera.
Since you can generate static from your feet, and then shock yourself on a doorknob, it goes to reason that you entire body builds up a static charge evenly, and can also release it from anywhere.
>>
>>58283064
Wait, I'm retarded, you mean ground the chassis to another metal case object? It's already supposed to be grounded through the power. If you get noise through your audio system it's probably something else.
>>
>>58283085
>Wait, I'm retarded, you mean ground the chassis to another metal case object?
Yes, exactly.

>It's already supposed to be grounded through the power. If you get noise through your audio system it's probably something else.
It's definitely from the static - whenever I touch it and feel a shock, I hear a small pop in the speakers and headphones connected to it. This happens with both my mixer (which is plugged in and grounded) and also with a passive amp/switch/volume controller that isn't grounded through the power but is grounded through audio ground
>>
Yes, I wrap mine around my dick.
>>
If it's actually static buildup and not bad wire or something then yea, maybe.
You don't need an actual antistatic wrist strap for that though, just use a piece of wire.
>>
>>58283115
I actually tried this - I sat it on a piece of copper wire that I ran to another piece of metal. Still heard the pop whenever I touched the device with a static charge. Would this mean that an antistatic wrist strap wouldn't work either, or do they work differently enough that it might?
>>
>>58283255
you sat on a dildo made out of copper? Please tell
>>
>>58283025
Sounds like the equipment is using a cheap ass capacitive dropper to get the low voltage control system power, combined with an ungrounded case. Your problem is more serious than just static.
>>
>>58283025
>Can anti-static wrist straps effectively be used on things other than wrists?
as in other parts of your body? yes.

> If I were to wrap an anti-static wrist strap around the metal chassis and of course ground it to another piece of metal, would that solve the problem?
no, either the chassis is already grounded, or by grounding it you'll make it even more susceptible to this problem. you need to remove the charge from your body, which is what is happening when you touch the chassis.
>>
>>58283255
You almost kys'd yourself lol.
>>
File: 1296254181088.gif (67KB, 457x461px) Image search: [Google]
1296254181088.gif
67KB, 457x461px
Fucking noobs.

You don't need a static wrist strap when building your PC unless you are doing it on a fucking shag carpet while wearing socks and shuffling around like a tard escaping its wrangler the entire time.

I've built and upgraded my PC and friends' PCs all the time over the past 10 years and have never had any static issues or any damage to components at all. If you're worried, just touch a metal part of the case every few minutes and you're good. Don't waste your money on a strap.
>>
>>58283025
In the industry we actually call these cuckstraps
>>
>>58290751
What if I do handle ESD prone hardware, while in socks on a carpet, but never experience discharge when touching grounded objects (for example ground pin in sockets). Does that mean that I just don't produce any charge then, and can't possibly damage anything?
>>
>>58283025
No anon, you can't put one on your dick to keep both your hands free

the band doesn't go that small

>>58290751
You don't need an airbag to drive your car either. But it prevents an obvious and known problem
>>
>>58283025
nope. you would be just dividing the discharge between the other metallic object through a 1M resistance and your regular chassis ground connection which has less resistance so the charge will still go there because of a path of less resistance
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.