[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lets cut the shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

assuming youre not an idiot and manage to

>turn off botnet
>turn off telemetry
>turn off cortono
>run some scripts to make updating less aggressive

can we agree windows becomes the most functional OS? i mean for fucks sake linux cant run MS word for one.
>>
File: 129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpg (18KB, 343x450px) Image search: [Google]
129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpg
18KB, 343x450px
>>58282566
>>
>>58282566
pic related is OSX though anon.
>>
>>58282566
>turn off botnet
Lmao. Where did you find a time machine to web 1.0
>>
>>58282707
>the literal botnet
>>58282752
kys
>>
>>58282773
no bully
>>
>turn off botnet
>turn off telemetry
>turn off cortono
also known as downloading spybot anti-beacon

with ubuntu bash support, there is literally 0 reasons to not be using windows
>>
File: Starts_Threads_And_Is_Homo.gif (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Starts_Threads_And_Is_Homo.gif
15KB, 400x300px
>>58282566
You can run M$ Office perfectly fine on any GNU/Linux distro. Troll somewhere else.
>>
File: Aaron3.webm (3MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron3.webm
3MB, 480x480px
>>58282566
actually the reason I chose windows was just I was too familiar with it. Since my first PC it was my main OS all alone. Even though there are millions of things >GANOO SLAH LYNAX could while wincucks couldn't, still, I prefer to use windows as my main os so to speak.
>>
>>58282566
Unless I can update every single installed application to its latest version while also updating the OS itself using a single command, and have the entire process take 5-10 minutes, Windows will not be the most functional OS.
>>
>>58282797
>with ubuntu bash support, there is literally 0 reasons to not be using windows
>0 reasons to not be using windows

this is what I'm saying
>>
>>58282847
but, friend, you don't need to run ANY commands
>>
>>58282566
>i mean for fucks sake linux cant run MS word for one.

>People are buying into this obvious bait
>>
File: stallman.jpg (126KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
126KB, 1024x682px
>>58282566
With Linux the running applications, background services and connected ports are WYSIWYG. There are no hidden telemetry embedded in the OS phoning home where you need 3rd party apps to make a futile effort to block them. In the end you swallow the placebo pill and think your system is only sucking your dick, while Microsoft and its advertisers are having anal with your data and private information.

Linux is audited, it does not try to fuck its own users in the ass. So a minor inconvenience of not being able to play vidya or having to learn a new system is worth it for some people.
>>
>>58282566
>i mean for fucks sake linux cant run MS word for one.

PlayonLinux can run Office 2007, 2010, 2013 with the required .NET framework and other libraries automatically configured.

Also most organizations and institutions use Google Docs which are 1:1 compatible with LibreOffice, so you coworkers will not have a hard time opening your files. Can you say the same about Office 2016/365 which does not support open formats? Your formatting collapses if you open Office files on any other system including wps office and Google docs.

Do some research before you bait on /g/.
>>
>>58282900
>>58282939
he's using macOS, not windows
>>
>>58282951
He complained that Linux can't run MS Word.
>>
>>58282959
because he's obviously b8ing, he isn't even using windows
>>
>>58282847
>he wants to break his entire computer with one command
Pretty sure every OS can do that.
>>
>>58282577
I agree.
>>
>>58282908
>With Linux the running applications, background services and connected ports are WYSIWYG
I see shit, I get shit
>>
File: kumiko.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kumiko.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
cool
>>
>>58282894
Windows doesn't have the functionality at all though, commands or not.

You can press a button to install updates, but that's OS only, and it can notoriously take ages. Getting your software to the latest version requires that program to check for updates on its own, or in the worst cases it requires you to manually find the latest version on their site.

>>58282978
Works on my machine tm

Been running Arch for two years now. The "breaks on every update" is a massive meme.

The only time I've had to downgrade a package is one time when a new version of Wine fucked up World of Warcraft. Fixed with a single command, and took me a total of 1 minute from error to fix.
>>
>>58283038
On my case , the windows update button downloaded pretty much everything I needed (from OS updates , to graphic card drivers and UEFI updates)
>>
>>58283065
So, do you not use any applications at all?

Web browser, chat applications, ShareX/puush, video player, music player

Basically any third party application will have to be updated manually through its own updating tool or by downloading the latest version from the vendor's site.

Being able to do that + install latest OS and drivers using a single, simple command is one of the main reasons I opt to use Linux as my main OS.
>>
>>58282839
Office 2007, maybe.
>>
>>58283038
>Getting your software to the latest version requires that program to check for updates on its own, or in the worst cases it requires you to manually find the latest version on their site.
You see, on Windows this is a necessity because we actually have more than one piece of software. "On Linux I can update my OS AND my browser in one fell swoop and I'm all up to date!" Congratulations, but here on Windows, since we actually do work on our machines, we want to make sure that the new versions of all our applications don't break our workflow.
>>
>>58283103
I think I could do the same with some setup of sorts. But Linux allowing it without having to waste my time on doing things by myself seems nice. However , you are half right I suppose , since I literally use little to no applications on my computer with the exception of a few select ones.
>>
What sort of bizarre environment or upbringing allows these people to believe with deep conviction that any microshit software is actually good let alone remotely usable?
>>
>>58282566
And you can't run plenty of Linux utilities on Windows. What's your point?
>>
>>58282908
>a minor inconvenience of not being able to play vidya or having to learn a new system is worth it for some people.

Pretty sure not being able to play vidya kills it for me. That's a breaking feature, not a "minor inconvenience"
>>
>>58282959
Which is retarded, because you can use MS Office in the cloud now, making it a platform neutral application accessible from anywhere.

And this is what most normies would be happiest with, since they don't have to worry about backups and such.

There's also no installation and no updates.

It's a great solution for the normies. And they're over 90% of the market. Only the Excel-nerds need local installs.
>>
>>58283198
They had to learn how to use Windows. Learning to use Windows is painful. So they expect learning other operating systems will be similarly painful. Therefore they resist.
>>
>>58282566
>run MS word

was gud b8 'til you overplayed it

now worth about 2/10
>>
>>58283277
Poor things.
Is there any way we can help them?
>>
>>58283290
Thousands of resources for learning for free online
>>
>>58282847
https://chocolatey.org/
ta-daa

p.s. package managers have jack shit to do with the OS.
>>
>>58283300
Yes, but that doesn't help them.
Those resources are great, but only AFTER you have decided that it will be less painful to switch.

The closest thing is probably Canonical's efforts before RedHat decided to fuck with everything they loved for political reasons. Hence why GNOME now has an init system as a dependency.
>>
>>58283122
what's wrong with office 2007?
>>
The OP's post implies one is using Windows 10 more than anything else, or that someone is using Windows 7 with every update installed which would add the retroactive telemetry bullshit.

As things happen to be, I and many many others don't use Windows 10, never have, never will, and it's not just because of the telemetry and potential for spying.

It's because Windows 10 is a shitty operating system by any measure that actually matters.
>>
I have had zero issues with Windows. NONE.
I feel for the meme and tried to leave Windows and GNU/Linux was shit! Countless issues and errors, there was always something up or wrong.

DESU I'll only use Linux now if I ever get a Laptop.
>>
>>58283538
fell*
>>
>>58283538
This

Once I fell for the meme and installed debian, went to upgrade to proper proprietary gpu drivers. After the driver install I couldn't get any display. Google about an hour and then remove the broken drivers, whoops now you're stuck with the command line only :)
Try to download again open source drivers via command line, doesn't work.
Downloaded Windows and forgot about ever using Linuxshit.
Why do they have to make everything so fucking complicated. You have to setup every single fucking thing manually.

"Yeah bro just open nano and edit these 58 lines by hand, it should work. Good luck ;)"

Jesus Christ
>>
>>58283243

>what is dual boot with disabled network drivers
>what is qemu PCI-passthrough
>what is a console
>what is not being a faggot
>>
>>58283620
I read that is a pain in the ass to setup for the first time.
I want to try it but how do you get internet connection on the guest if you're connecting with wifi USB?

I've read things like "pass your NIC" but I don't have wired connection avilable.
How would that work with wifi?

Also you need some decent cpu to be able to play demanding games and leave at least 2 cores to the host at the same time.
>>
>>58283604
Yea man pain in the ass. Keyboard backlight didnt work and I had to use a command to turn it on but sometimes that would make the numpad not work. Chrome package did not want to install, had to use some software there to get it working.
Xubuntu and Ubuntu wouldn't work because of a graphics driver issue and I had to edit the grub, eventually got it working but while I booted into Windows the partition got fucked up and I had to delete my game HDD.

I am not using it as a main desktop OS anymore, no reason. Windows has worked perfectly for me, and I never have to think about if something is going to work or not.
>>
>>58282566
>assuming youre not an idiot and manage to
to what?
>turn off botnet
Can not be done, if you were able to do that then people would be willing to pay thousands to learn how to do it. Companies would possibly give you millions.
>turn off telemetry
Can only be turned down to basic if you have enterprise. Running some russian malware that make it look like it's turned off don't apply. Information is still regularly sent to microsoft
>turn off cortono
can be done, but unless you have enterprise it will turn on again on next update as far as i know
lol
>>
>>58282797
>>58282875

It does not work anything like Linux though, can not see linux file systems or deleted files on windows and that sort of thing.

Only people who have no idea what Linux is would say this.
>>
>>58282566
>can we agree windows becomes the most functional OS? i mean for fucks sake linux cant run MS word for one.
If running Microsoft Word is your definition of being functional, then this board has truly become /v/.
>>
>>58283647

you mean the PCI-passthrough ?

It's really just copy pasting a couple of commands. 20 min at most.

Passing a wifi-USB works exactly like passing a USB mouse or keyboard.
>>
>>58282797
Translating a bunch of syscalls in the same way WINE translates a bunch of WINAPI calls, does not suit my needs.
>>
>>58283243
Linux runs around 80-90% of all the games I play. What game do you play that isn't on Steam for Linux?
>>
>>58283754
Yeah but then I won't have the connection in host?
I want to have connection at the same time both on host and guest.
Does that mean I need 2 wifi adapters?

And what about sound, also 2 soundcards?
>>
>>58282566
>change the transmission to manual
>alter the suspension
>relocate the engine to the middle
>and drop 900lbs of weight by gutting the dashboard, removing all the chrome, replacing doorhandles with straps, rebuilding the engine out of tungsten, and gutting the upholstery
>can we agree an automatic V6 Ford Mustang becomes the most rewarding track car? i mean for fucks sake Miatas aren't even made in America.
>>
>>58282566
but you can run MS word on linux.
That is like saying you cannot get hotkeys or get multi tasking support on windows.
You have to jump through some hoops, but it is possible.
It also works with 2010, 2013 and 2016.
What is the next complaint?
>>
>>58283804

You can use a passed device on both host and guest.
>>
>>58283815
>>58283804
>>58283754
You don't use PCIe passthrough on your internet adapter, you fucking spergs.

You share the adapter from the VM settings. PCIe passthrough for PCIe devices (such as your GPU) only.

>>58283815
>You can use a passed device on both host and guest.
No you can't. But network adapters aren't passed through.
>>
>>58283837

>No you can't. But network adapters aren't passed through.

Are you retarded ?

You can use the same input devices on both the guest and host. I wasn't talking about passing them like the gpu, I was talking about allowing the guest to use them -> passing them to the vm
>>
>>58283837
Then why am I reading about people using 2 NICs and addon PCI usb card and connecting usb soundcards to it?
Why would they need 2 soundcards and 2 NICs if what you're saying is true?
>>
>>58283864
>You can use the same input devices on both the guest and host. I wasn't talking about passing them like the gpu, I was talking about allowing the guest to use them -> passing them to the vm
Anon was asking about PCIe passthrough.

Allowing the VM to share the adapter is not "passing them to the vm", you gigantic moron.
>>
>>58283869

they are idiots. There are a lot of useful, simple guides that don't need them.

>>58283875

>I argue about semantic, yet fail to understand that PCI passthrough is nothing more than dedicating a GPU exclusively to a VM.
>>
>>58283150
You can do individual upgrades if you wish though.
>>
>>58283869
You can obviously use PCIe passthrough on any PCIe device if you want, but there's literally no fucking reason to unless you're using some sort of device that your VM hypervisor doesn't support and/or you want absolute minimum latency and want the guest to take full control over the device.

For a GPU this makes sense, especially if your goal is to play. For a NIC it doesn't, because the generic network drivers in the host OS have excellent hypervisor for virtually all existing hypervisors support. For soundcards I don't know, it may be because they are using some cards that doesn't have native Linux drivers and/or aren't supported by the hypervisor.
>>
>>58283712
You can set telemetry to off in Enterprise, actually.
>>
>>58283969
No, setting it to "off" means setting it to basic telemetry. Read the documentation.
>>
>>58283969
>pirating a Russian botnet in order to turn off a US/Indian botnet

/g/ logic
>>
>>58283977
Wrong. Basic is the next option under Security. Do your homework.
>>
>>58283982
Who said anything about pirating? Are you tripping?
>>
>>58284016
>paying for a botnet

Hahahahahaha, ultimate cuckold fantasy I see.
>>
>>58283994
Ah... They have made another level

Windows enterprise users can now turn down telemetry all the way down to "security" level. Which is what used to be called "basic"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

People can now choose between full, enhanced, basic and security. Basic used to have the same features as security. But none of that is "off"
>>
>>58283103
>Basically any third party application will have to be updated manually

Naw. Most up-to-date software will use an automated updating system service.
>>
File: 1415370161978.jpg (50KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
1415370161978.jpg
50KB, 395x401px
>>58283806
>>
>>58284016
lol
>>
>>58284064
Who said I paid for it? Again, you're living in la la land reading things that aren't there. What a retard.
>>
>>58284163
>t. butthurt botnet volunteer
>>
>>58284177
>gets called out
>uses ad hom as he has lost
Okay, loser.
>>
>>58284197
>participates in the botnet
>thinks he has "won"
kek
>>
>>58283243
I am only speaking for myself since I have an old Intel GPU. I can still run plenty of games including Dota 2 and LoL.

Steam library runs Linux games natively without wine emulation. PlayonLinux has a good track record of running games and software with their proper libraries.

You just have to search for the games you want to run to see if they are supported. Linux is not a dead end for gaming.
>>
>>58283265
Google docs has made Office 365 obsolete. Why pay for licensing to use a closed system whose format can only be properly accessed by another person with Office.

Google docs, LibreOffice, WPS Office can exchange open formats easily, and they are the future.
>>
>>58284428
>Google docs has made Office 365 obsolete

And it's about 15% of the cost.
>>
>>58282566
whats the name of that 3rd party taskbar, pham?
>>
>>58282577
Nice dubs hitlor
>>
>>58282577
I was confused for a second when yesterday I took a screenshot and the scrot output started with 2017.
>>
File: CInDawGWEAAQXiF.jpg-large.jpg (75KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CInDawGWEAAQXiF.jpg-large.jpg
75KB, 1024x1024px
>ITT: morons spamming libreoffice is MS word

thats an alternative, not the actual MS suite.
>>
>>58282566
Of course not.
>>
>>58282566
>MS word
OP can't learn LaTeX.
>>
File: 1481338938103.jpg (22KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1481338938103.jpg
22KB, 600x450px
>>58282566
Why not just use onedrive to access word? Or just use Libre.
>>
>>58282566
>
>>turn off botnet
>>turn off telemetry
>>turn off cortono
>>run some scripts to make updating less aggressive
I don't believe this is possible, I mean microsoft invested billions into making the botnet, they're capable of making files the end user can't delete so does it make sense you can delete 100% of the botnet? personally even with 0 botnet I'd still stick with linux, but thats just me also libre office exists and I think word can be run via wine
>>
>>58282797
a while ago someone on g posted a wireshark analysis proving the botnet still exists after spybot anti beacon, you can probably find it on google
>>
>>58283307
>p.s. package managers have jack shit to do with the OS.
if this is true, neither does running games or running ms word
>>
File: top.png (352KB, 719x414px) Image search: [Google]
top.png
352KB, 719x414px
>>58282566

i run a linux desktop and laptop for work, what makes windows so necessary? office 365 is in a browser welcome to $currentYear
>>
>>58286610
>$currentYear
Nice 70's terminal shit, brah
>>
>>58283620
I'm all for linux, but you cannot seriously advocate the use of consoles. Consoles are inferior, since they are literally PCs with a dumbed down restricted OS, no possibility of hardware upgrades and inferior ways of input (controllers). Consoles are also responsible for awful things like console exclusives, which mean that you have to get additional hardware, such as a PS4 to be able to play some games, while if consoles didn't exist, all you had to do was install another OS on your PC to be able to play a game in the worst case (and maybe pay like $100 for a licence if you didn't want to pirate instead of paying $300 for a console).
>>
File: 1474383108874.jpg (53KB, 444x468px) Image search: [Google]
1474383108874.jpg
53KB, 444x468px
>Mfw running Wireshark on a Windows computer
>>
>>58284080

So instead of secretly changing your settings during an update (since people complained about it), they're going to randomly change what settings do without actually effecting which radial buttons are or aren't pressed.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard about Windows 10 yet.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.