[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enterprise Software General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: customs.jpg (189KB, 632x420px) Image search: [Google]
customs.jpg
189KB, 632x420px
Let's talk about so called "Enterprise Software", and how uniformly fucking awful it is, and how horrible the companies that make and sell this shit is.

Stuff like JD Edwards, Commvault Simpana, Oracle Database, and any of the fucking garbage IB.

Is there ANY enterprise software that isn't a steaming pile of garbage? Half these companies wouldn't still exist if the people paying for it weren't being wined and dined by the people selling it, IBM especially.....
>>
I'll start. At a massive Japanese manufacturing company I use to work for, we were stuck using Lotus as our email client because our higher ups had a "special relationship" (aka taking brides and going out to dinner on weekends) with IBM executives. That piece of shit is so bad that switching to exchange would've been a fucking godsend to our organization, we had literally no reason to keep using that crap other than the fact that we were forced to keep using it. We even calculated the amount of money and time we would save converting entirely to exchange, which was MASSIVE because of how often it failed and how vital data we lost because of the shitty software, but our VP categorically refuse to allow us to switch citing that its "portable", but really because IBM sinks it teeth through all the executives in your company.

In one instance, we were on a conference call with IBM support trying to troubleshoot Lotus like we always needed to, and the gross incompetence of the people we were on the phone with caused my boss to flip out on them on tell them we were planning to switch to one of their competitors, so they can go fuck themselves. We ended up solving the problem without their help and instituted a work around and set up a backup system using a local email server incase lotus decided to shit the bed

Well, a day goes by, and an IBM executive ended up taking out our branch head to dinner, and my department head ended up dressed down for his exchange with the IBM techs, and a co-worked of mine was fired.

Moral of the story? Never get into bed with IBM. They never let you leave,
>>
>>58279408
Mind you, this was a phone call with TECHNICIANS, not sales reps or anyone else you are suppose to kiss butt to.

I don't know if any of you have ever worked in a corporate environment, but it's virtually unheard of for someone getting in trouble for being rude to the techs you have to deal with on the phone. More often not they're grossly incompetent and the service contract your higher ups are convinced is necessary because a sales rep sucked their dick, is a complete waste of money.
>>
>>58279395
*IBM sells
>>
I use to work for Citi bank's IT department when the federal government decided that a picture of a check was just as good as the real deal, so finally banks were able to digitize their check systems. I was part of a group put in charge with creating the systems necessary to digitize our systems, and our higher ups decided that the vendor they wanted to hire to help us make the software was IBM. Worst. Fucking. Decision. Ever.

They only got the contract because of what >>58279408 said, corruption. They ended up basically not doing ANY of what they promised, and we basically had to do the entire workload in house even though they were paid millions to assist. A few people on our side even got fired for telling off IBM reps, and like >>58279408 says, its all because of the "personal relationships".

Left a real bad fucking taste in my mouth. NEVER, EVER do business with IBM. Luckily enough, the executives they were in bed with ended up getting canned for unrelated reasons, so we got a little bit more power with our ability to pick the vendors we want to do business with.
>>
>>58279408
exchange isn't even all that good
>>
I'm guessing no one on 4chan actually has a job, so they never have to deal with this kinda stuff

Probably a better idea to complain about this stuff on reddit or elsewhere, you might find people that are actually employed there
>>
File: fhg090512-story02-fig01.jpg (132KB, 1295x575px) Image search: [Google]
fhg090512-story02-fig01.jpg
132KB, 1295x575px
i just started working for a company coding RPG on IBMi. how fucked am i?
>>
>>58279746
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that mostly used for inventory and the like?
>>
>>58279794
Yeah, AS400 is used for inventory everywhere pretty much. It does it's job fairly well, just takes a while to update.
>>
>>58279835
AS400 is a bitch to work with on older equipment, especially stuff stuck on ancient revisions

From what I know though, IBMi is clearly inferior. I don't envy you, at all.
>>
>>58279648
>everyone on 4chan is a neet neckbeard xD
Wow some original insults you have there.
>>
>>58279961
Is that you're only rebuttal? That the insult is lame?

Does anyone here ACTUALLY work in fields creating or utilizing the technologies this board is ostensibly devote to discussing, or simply consumes consumer technology?
>>
>>58279746
Find a job doing the same thing on as400
>>
File: Junos_sw_logo.jpg (50KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
Junos_sw_logo.jpg
50KB, 300x189px
>>58279395
What about Junos?
>>
>>58280705
You mean jewnos?
>>
>>58279609
>exchange isn't even all that good
That was the joke, anon. Even if they had switched ot Exchange, bad as it is, it would have been a massive improvement.
>>
>implying Oracle sucks
>>
>>58282515
kek, well played
>>
My work uses office 365, it's awesome, even a child could use it which is good because the entire exchange, identity ops, SharePoint crews are absolute idiots. We are in a shared service model so our parent company manages all that shit in addition to Oracle databases, peoplesoft, tibco.

We also utilize a heavily customized Salesforce platform, some Azure VMs and DBs, and some sftp servers which I manage but are hosted by rackspace.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.