[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the internet killing music? Before itunes / spotify became

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: music.jpg (16KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
music.jpg
16KB, 900x900px
Is the internet killing music?

Before itunes / spotify became popular everyone bought whole albums in physical format.

With an album, you listen to multiple songs in the order the artist intended, which means they follow on from each other and the artist can create a better feeling / emotion that flows through the whole album.
Albums have songs that wouldn't be considered great on their own but work perfectly in the context of the other songs.

Now though everyone just buys music online and only cares about buying single songs / adding singles to their spotify playlists.

IMO this just makes artists to be forced to make every song stand-alone and catchy so it gets on the charts so people listen to it because they know if they make a song to tie and album together 95% of people aren't even going to listen to it.

None of my friends listen to albums anymore, their music collection consists of probably at most 5 songs by the same artist, mostly just stuff that got popular in the charts.

Thoughts? Does the internet and convenience actual make some things worse?
>>
what are singles
Also, what you are talking about is normalfag shit. Fuck them.
Good artists are going to make whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>58277072
Nah fuck that shit 99% of artists would fill the rest of their albums with crap and would sell it on the backs of a couple hit songs but charging a full album price.
The modern era of entirely focused on singles is way better for almost every person because most artists dont do the continuity you talk about and now they cant get away with shoveling in crap songs on an album. They have to make good songs and only good songs if they ever want that song to sell or succeed.

While some artists still try to make whole albums that need to be listened to sequentially, they are very rare and were certainly never the majority in history either. Artists were just as focused on singles getting on the radio as they are now.
I think your problem is more a difference of genre and style interests with your friends than your supposed album vs singles idea
>>
These are the same people who listened to radio more so than albums.
>>
>>58277072
Yes it is killing music, but as >>58277113 said it affects mostly to normalfag shit.

>everyone bought whole albums in physical format.
I still do this regularly if i like the album and to support the artist, then rip them to FLACs.

Spotify has only like 7% of the artists i listen to so it's a steaming pile of shit for me.
>>
music died long ago
>>
I have never in my entire life listened to an album all the way through.
>>
>>58278935
then you don't really appreciate music
>>
>>58278935
>he has never listened to any pink Floyd album all the way through
End yourself
>>
>>58277072
If anything it's making artists work harder to make good music rather than releasing an album half full of shit
>>
>>58278990
>listening to some old glorified rockish turd
I bet you are also one of those queen shills.

>>>reddit
>>
>>58279034
wish trent reznor would get that memo..
>>
>IMO this just makes artists to be forced to make every song stand-alone and catchy so it gets on the charts so people listen to it because they know if they make a song to tie and album together 95% of people aren't even going to listen to it.

this is a good thing
I've never bought an album where all but one or two songs weren't boring. video game music albums are the exception but finding stores that sell what I want is a pain or impossible
>>
no

i have hundreds of gigger bites of lossless saved on my fat drive
>>
You could get singles and everyone I knew would record songs they liked from the radio onto cassettes to listen to whatever songs they wanted. Also on cds everyone I knew would usually only listen to 1 or 2 songs on an album unless it was really good. Skipping songs is really easy with cds
>>
>>58279088
>>>/mu/
>>
I still listen to albums all the way through even on streaming, I only started using playlists this year, and only cause I bought my first car and I'd rather just have a list of songs I like playing so I don't have to switch songs while driving
>>
I pretty much only listen to full albums in order. I mean use public Spotify playlists too, but if I decide to listen to a specific artist I'll listen to the whole album. If the whole album is filled with shit then I feel sorry for your musical tastes.
>>
>>58277072
Before the internet, it was the radio
Before the radios, it was the jukeboxes

Technology doesn't change music, anon. There are always people who only care about “pop music charts” and don't give a shit about the emotion etc. of music

And there will always be people who buck this trend as well. Nothing has changed..
>>
>>58277072
Albums like the dark side of the moon are my favourite (you don't know when one song ends and begins the next while all create a unique flow).
Your statement, while true, makes me sad because these type of albums are way more enjoyable than random 'hits'.
Could you recommend me any other artist that creates albums like pink floyd (not the genre, but rather the style)?
>>
>>58278972
Everyone enjoys music differently. I'd rather have a curated playlist of songs I love than have all of the meh songs mixed in as well.
>>
Spotify and iTunes lets you listen to full albums just fine you whiny baby

What about Limewire and Napster do they not count
>>
>>58277072
>Is the internet killing music?

It's because of the internet that I have been able to hear music that I would have never heard otherwise. The internet is the best thing to happen to independent music. I've seen awesome collaborations between musicians who live far away from each other and have never met.

If it weren't for places like SoundCloud and the feedback I get on my music, I would have never found the motivation to pursue it in the first place.

The internet has helped music more than people believe it has hurt.
>>
This is legitimately why I have a massive FLAC collection, but collect vinyls anyways. Listening to an album in a sit-down environment when you aren't distracted, and listening to entire albums in order, is special. Plus vinyl is unique and nifty.
>>
>>58279629
Hold Your Colour by Pendulum is an album like that, not sure if their other albums are too.
>>
>>58279629
https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/fx4
>>
>>58279630
You're admitting that you listen to shitty artists that make shitty music?
>>
>>58280192
Does real vinyl sound much different than a good lossless vinyl rip?
>>
>>58277072
Most of the profits are made by live performances. Artists having hardly anything from record sales.
>>
I'm gonna say yes, but only because youtube/amazon have a """""""high""""""" quality silky smooth bitrate of 256kbps.
>>
i remember back in the 90's when the record companies started to push streaming, people just laughed.

why would you stream, when it's so much more convenient to download? after all it's no longer the age of dial up where you download single songs.

we got broadband and can download whole albums and movies in the matter of minutes, so why bother with a complicated solution that requires constant internet access?

streaming always where the preference of the industry, not the people, until facebook showed up and made people enough technologically impaired to buy the whole scam with hook, line and sinker.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.