[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to become a programmer in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

So /g/ I am fed up being a NEET and 2017 is the year I finally make that change. So how do I learn "how to code"?

I know I dont want to do web dev as I dont really like design (back end would be fine though i guess?). i am interested in making "real" desktop programs so not some javascript "app" built with electron. I am thinking something like C++, C# or Java would be great yeah?
>>
>>58275265
first, you're going to have to install gentoo.
>>
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9

>I am thinking something like C++, C# or Java would be great yeah?

Sure, if you are the guy who like to spend a year working hard and then at the end of the year FINALLY be able to do something useful...

Python on the other hand will have you up and running in a week and good enough to get a job in two months.
>>
>>58275301
>good enough to get a job in two months

This explains the average level of Python programmer's skill.
>>
File: Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg (4MB, 2500x4620px) Image search: [Google]
Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg
4MB, 2500x4620px
>>58275265
Read books
>>
>>58275265
Java and .NET are pretty popular technologies today if you want to get started. They're both much easier to get into than more low-level stuff like C/C++.

Google some tutorials and concepts. Nowadays a high schooler can teach himself how to code at least on a basic level.
>>
>>58275292
installed gentoo, arch, etc. many times. not a problem although i dont see how running a specific linux distro is going to make any difference to learning to program

>>58275301
hmm what about java or c#? they seem a lot easier than C++, maybe not quite as easy as python but means i can build desktop programs yeah? i know i can do that in python also but all the python "desktop" apps i have checked out look like shit whereas at least java and c# apps look decent.
>>
>>58275375
>desktop programs
Just be aware that many corporate jobs involve working with web-facing services and the like, so don't restrict yourself to only desktop applications. I recommend at least learning how to build simple CRUD apps once you get far enough.
>>
>>58275265
>am interested in making "real" desktop programs so not some javascript "app" built with electron. I am thinking something like C++, C# or Java would be great yeah?

c# with wpf

it's windows only, but in true open source fashion if anyone asks for a linux version share the source and say "Well? Fork it and port it to your platform. This is open source, not a charity."
>>
>>58275265
> I dont really like design
> interested in making "real" desktop programs

choose one.
>>
>>58275354
>This explains the average level of Python programmer's skill.
yep

>>58275375
>hmm what about java or c#? they seem a lot easier than C++, maybe not quite as easy as python but means i can build desktop programs yeah?

You can make desktop programs in anything and you can make it look like exactly what you want it to look. both java and c# are also great if you like to work a lot without seeing the fruits of your labour. You also will have to learn a lot more up front to do any programming at all, but there are courses where those are the first languages.

also this: >>58275409 most things these days are webapplications. If I was starting out today I would have gone python and then Go.
>>
>>58275445
sorry should have said i dont want to deal with html/css and all that shit. designing a desktop programs i dont mind. i did vb back in the day and RAD was pretty cool compared to dealing with firefox/chrome/ie/edge differences and stuff.
>>
>>58275265
Desktop apps are going to the wayside breh. Even intranet apps for internal use are web based (doesnt need to be the prettiest thing but functionality and design are intrinsically linked - its not limited to the artisitic type of 'design')
>>
>>58275375
>installed gentoo, arch, etc. many times.
No need to lie on the internet, anon.
>>
>>58275265
Whatever language you choose learn it from a book
>>
You learn to code by working on projects and problem solving. You can get the basics by reading or using online courses like Udemy, Lynda or Coursera for a more curated experience.
>>
>>58275265
Go process engineering. I am proud my code can run entire plants
>>
>>58275522
i cant name a single thing that im using that is an online only program, and usually if it is i immediately look for a downloaded version

people aren't going to stop having desktops and laptops anon
>>
what do people think about java and android? seems like there are lots of jobs even for a noob around here in london (uk). i like my android phone and build apps for it would be pretty cool.
>>
>>58275670
I didnt say cloud based anon, i said corporate intranet, as in hosted locally in the network, database included.
>>
>>58275265
If you want a job, do webdev or mobile.

webdev: python, ruby, or node.js. Obviously html, css, and js too. Know how to set up a webserver and database server.

mobile: java, swift. I don't know how much Obj-C you need to know anymore because I'm not a mobile dev, but I've heard you can basically use swift for everything on ios.

I didn't want to do web either because "design" but it doesn't really matter, you just use some css framework to do it for you since most web apps aren't customer facing.
>>
>>58275265
You want real advice?

Just do what interests you, faggot
>>
File: 1390953751168.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1390953751168.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>>58275702
>a noob

do you think they'd be posting adverts if they could get john from IT to learn python in a week and do what they need to do ?
>>
>>58276051
spoken like a true fresh out of college retard
>>
>>58275265
>I dont really like design

You still need to do design for backend development if you're building something new.

> i am interested in making "real" desktop programs so not some javascript "app" built with electron. I am thinking something like C++, C# or Java would be great yeah?

You hate design but you want to build desktop programs? You still need to do design work first before making anything.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.