[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My boss told me to build a server. Are 32 GB RAM sticks reliable yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ram sticks.png (91KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
ram sticks.png
91KB, 300x224px
My boss told me to build a server.
Are 32 GB RAM sticks reliable yet?
>>
if you need to ask this question you shouldn't have the job you do
>>
>>58270758
We're still on 16 GiB sticks everywhere

So I can't tell you if 32 GiB are any good or not
>>
>>58270773
Fpbp
>>
>>58270758
Been using them for a few months now. Haven't had much of an issue. They're in a bunch of Dell R630/730 chassis's.
>>
>>58270758
If you need to build a server for a company then it means you're doing it completely wrong. You and your boss are completely retarded.
>>
buy a couple of surveillance HDDs and just pagefile the entire thing
>>
Enjoy getting fired by your boss when the server inevitably fails catastrophically.
>>
>>58270758
I bet you haven't even considered whether they support ECC or not have you OP? Building servers is different then the retard proof custom gaming desktops. Stop now before you waste everyone's time.
>>
>>58270758
>>58270773
>if you need to ask this question you shouldn't have the job you do

This.

That said, 32GB and 64GB LRDIMM's are a thing, but available in DDR4 only.

If you don't know what you're doing, and your boss doesn't know that, I'd suggest going to Dell or HP, because the help and support will enable you to cover your ass if something breaks.
>>
>>58272885
Fucking this.
No one worth their money builds their own server in a production environment.

>your fault if shit breaks
>costs more time than just buying
>no support when shit breaks.
>>
>>58270758
I'll mirror everyone's sentiments and ask you to just call up a company and ask them to do it.
If you build it and it fails, it's your fault, even something as innocuous as RAM.
Do it if you feel lucky, but if you're asking this, you probably shouldn't.
>>
>>58270773
He's lying.
>>
>>58270758
My boss asked me to do the same thing in 04. We ended up with a dual xeon 3.0 ht, liquid cooled, 4gbddr, raid 10 monstrosity because boss had seen it in a magazine. It lived 6 years (with yearly dustings and coolant flushes every 2 years) before I bought it, put it back on air, and use it as a bench rig. It still chugs right along, I'm about to fill it with DVD drives and rip a bunch of obscure dvds.
It's fun to do if done right, and they can last a long time. While I wouldn't say it's bonding with the boss, it's probably something he can't do and he knows this and when you do it instead of pushing a pre-built, he'll notice, in a good way.
Its much easier with server grade hardware as opposed to finicky enthusiast boards.
32gb is fine, stick with reputable brands and get an extended warranty on all hardware. Buy hds locally.
>>
File: 1477929799800.jpg (37KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
1477929799800.jpg
37KB, 680x478px
>He thinks you need more than 8gb of ram
>current year
>ISHIGGYDIGGY
>>
I recently built a new PC and I think my ram stick are faulty as fuck. I keep getting a blue screen with "Memory_Management" error.

What should I do?
>>
>>58279397
I have 12 gbs of ram and use 6-8gbs normally. Depends how u use your computer, pleb
>>
I love these threads. It's hilarious how elitist these computer janitors get. You're just cable pluggers, stop pretending you work at NASA, rofl.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.