[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimum Required Knowledge To Work As a Junior Programmer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: donkey1050x700.jpg (414KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
donkey1050x700.jpg
414KB, 1050x700px
Hi /g/. I've been programming for over a year now, and I've learned a bit of C++, JS, and Python. My question is what's the minimum you need to know to find a very entry level programming job? Be specific. Thanks.
>>
>>58261001
How to use Google and Stack Overflow.
>>
File: 1474758727637.png (206KB, 1000x1219px) Image search: [Google]
1474758727637.png
206KB, 1000x1219px
>>58261001
>I've learned a bit of C++, JS, and Python
>Be specific
I think you're the one that needs to be specific here. What area you would like to work in?
>>
>>58261001
How to make a simple CRUD web site.
>>
>>58261025
But what kind of questions would an interviewer ask during one of these entry level programming jobs?
>>
>>58261001
First you need to do some research until you can ask your question more specifically.

What kind of programming do you want to do? Getting hired as an entry level embedded programmer, or a mobile developer, or an enterprise developer are going to require different skillsets.

What kind of programming do you enjoy? What kind of projects have you done?
>>
File: wut.png (152KB, 354x404px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
152KB, 354x404px
>>58261392
These people aren't posting the type of programming I'd do. IT'S ENTRY LEVEL SHIT, so I doubt that there's much specialization needed.

HAS ANYONE HERE BEEN A JUNIOR PROGRAMMER BEFORE???
>>
>>58261418
post ad description. All the junior programming positions on my uni's job listings page gives some detail.
>>
>>58261440
https://www.indeed.ca/cmp/Classic-Pos-Inc./jobs/Junior-Programmer-Borland-C++-eac01130126ad279?q=junior+programmer

Here's one. Nowhere do they mention what it means to be "entry level".
>>
>>58261476
You're overthinking this, m8. You got experience in the shit they listed? Then apply. They'll decide if you're good enough.
>>
>>58261418
You're talking to a professional programmer, a junior dev to boot. I'm trying to help you here.

You can't just walk into a company and say "I want to work in the programming department." You need to know what software they're developing and the tools they're using to build it.

Go search indeed.com or dice.com for "junior developer [insert language]" and in the job postings you'll find a litany of frameworks and development tools that will vary from industry to industry. You have to know what you're aiming at before you have a chance to hit anything.
>>
File: unsure.jpg (32KB, 750x674px) Image search: [Google]
unsure.jpg
32KB, 750x674px
>>58261533
How much do I need to know to be able to say I have "experience"?
I know a bit of C++, I've used VS, so yes, in some ways, I have experience, but I still feel like I don't know anything.

>>58261549
Thanks for the help, but as I posted already, these junior programming jobs in my area tend to develop different things on different languages, with different frameworks, etc. Because of this, they will tend to be somewhat vague on certain concepts, and as someone who has never worked as a programmer before, I have no idea what their baseline is. Does someone who completed a codeacademy course have "experience"? Does someone who has built basic command line apps for family have "experience"? I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. And that's why I'm asking this.
>>
>>58261600
Why are you this pensive about applying for a job?
>>
>>58261643
Because I don't want to be in an office, and all of a sudden some guy asks me to write something that I am incapable of doing.
>>
>>58261001
you only need to know how to suck dick. once you have the job, you google shit and copy/paste shit.
>>
>>58261676
1) If you're that unskilled you won't get the job so don't worry
2) What is google.com?
>>
>>58261600
>these junior programming jobs in my area tend to develop different things on different languages, with different frameworks, etc.
This is where you need to start. Find out what these languages and frameworks are and start playing with them.

As far as what counts as experience, I would say experience is measured in working software that you have produced--github pull requests accepted, webapps deployed, apps in app stores, etc. What companies consider to be the acceptable minimal level of experience varies by industry and by department. As a general guideline: a non-tech company hiring developers will generally have a lower bar than a software or tech company (e.g. a trucking company hiring wanting to develop software to manage drivers and routes will usually be more forgiving than a trendy silicon valley web startup).
>>
>>58261600
>How much do I need to know to be able to say I have "experience"?

Look at the products they make and take a guess at which one you'll be working on at the job. If you can reasonably conceive of how that product was made and you can talk through how you think it was probably implemented given their job "requirements", then you should be able to do ok in the interview. Unless it's listed, there's no strict number of years value that they're looking for (usually even those numbers are soft), they want to know that you can reasonably understand how their product works, so that they don't work from scratch to explain the idea of how the software works and the big picture when you start, you'll just have to get a big picture then start working on the stuff in whatever area you're working in.

>I know a bit of C++, I've used VS
It doesn't sound like you have experience.
>>
>>58261752
Thank you. As far as working with github, what's a good way for a beginner to find projects to work on? Would my work be documented?
>>
>>58261676
>Because I don't want to be in an office, and all of a sudden some guy asks me to write something that I am incapable of doing.

This happens to every software developer multiple times per week. The reason we get paid the big bucks is because when this happens we say "sure I can do that" and then go research and learn until we can.
>>
>>58261676
Not /g/ related, but I do maintenance while I learn programming. I started off as an aide wiping asses at night. I had almost no knowledge of how things were to be fixed should something happen. But I am a DIY'r, so I applied. I still didn't know shit. But being entry-level, I was trained. My boss built on my knowledge and I know more. I expect close to the same treatment when I finally move into programming. Most jobs will take entry-level people and train them the way they want them trained. As long as you have enough brains to get the job, the rest will come if you pay attention and work.
>>
>>58261767
>As far as working with github, what's a good way for a beginner to find projects to work on?

https://akrabat.com/the-beginners-guide-to-contributing-to-a-github-project/

Also, you should look into finding a good recruiter. Many companies have lost the appetite for hiring novices off the street, but a recruiter is financially motivated to shepherd you through the HR maze and get your resume in front of someone who's in the hiring mood. If your school has any kind of "career day" for their CS people that would be a place to meet some.
>>
>>58261001
Solid experience in developing complex applications
Experience in documentation code
Knowledge of a least two SDLC methodologies
Knowledge of OO programming
Experience in developing Java or C# applications
Knowledge of IDEs
Knowledge of CVS-like systems
And of course whatever is needed for that specific job (web development, deployments systems, SAP, etc.)
>>
>what's the minimum you need to know to find a very entry level programming job
That depends on what kind of work you're doing.

For best results, I'd recommend applying for an internship. Worst case scenario, you only stay for ~3 months and you get to add some stuff to your resume.
Most companies have pretty low expectations from their interns (unless they are highly competitive internships, like the big Bay Area firms) and most will be very understanding about your lack of experience.

My recommendation is that you spend some time to build a portfolio. Mix it up with some desktop and web applications to show HTML/CSS/JavaScript; maybe even use Python + Flask for your backend.
Buy a few books to study. The "In a Nutshell" series of books from O'Reilly are really quite good, and they have a lot of best-use examples that show good practices and explain the hows and whys.
>>
>>58262015
As far as building a portfolio goes, do I need to upload the programs to github, or what? For the record, the most complicated things I've done involve coming up with certain mathematical algorithms. Will anyone be impressed by this?
>>
3+ years experience in -insert language- with multiple frameworks and different -insert meme technology-. Also no one is really looking to hire junior devs anymore, the shortage is in experienced devs for cheap.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.