[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Agile coding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: agile.jpg (84KB, 471x377px) Image search: [Google]
agile.jpg
84KB, 471x377px
Is it THE way to do projects now, or is Agile a degenerate business major cuck meme?

I keep seeing everyone on hackernews saying they use it, but my CS professors don't know anything about it.
>>
It was invented by actual software developers with decades of experience, but then business men started meddling and it all went to shit.
>>
>>58259205
It's a decent methodology if you've got a project suitable for iterative development and need to keep multiple developers coordinated and stakeholders aprised. The most common example of such a project would be the any web site or the wrap-a-database-with-a-web-app-served-on-the-corporate-intranet "business apps" that corporations churn out constantly.
>>
it's an enterprise buzzword for what should be standard project management.
>>
>>58259461
This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvks70PD0Rs

Also this.
>>
>>58259414
>>58259492

These guys aren't wrong. There's a lot of buzzwords and shit that business types have heaped up on agile development.

One such buzzword is "scrum" which is something of a cargo cult with its own language and customs that bills itself as a way to achieve agile development.

In fact, in your interview when they ask you if you have any experience with "agile development" what they're (almost certainly) really asking you is if you practice the religion of scrum.

Don't get me wrong, scrum isn't necessarily a bad thing. When practiced by skilled developers it can produce good software. Unfortunately there's a lot of charlatans that convinced gullible middle managers that you scrum is magic and if you just pay for their expensive training you'll be able to get great software out of pajeets and mediocre programmers!

Seriously though, get a couple friends and devise a project that you can do in a semester using scrum. Do a couple stand-ups a week, build a physical kanban and keep your burndown and burnup charts. Ideally your project should be deployed either online or in an app store somewhere when you're done. Then, in your interview, when they ask you if you have any "agile experience" show them all this shit and you'll have the job.

Quick survey of the rituals of the scrum cult:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0llRltyFM
>>
>>58259205
>degenerate
thanks for reminding me of a word to add to my filters
>>
>degenerate
Thanks for reminding me of a word to add to my filters
>>
>>58259461
/thread

>>58259205
Your CS professors should know about them since authors such as Tom DeMarco wrote about them. No excuse not to know about Agile. Don't trust those professors.

>>58259720
XP can also be considered a cargo cult.
Which is a shame because both Scrum and XP can produce results on the right project.
>>
>>58259720
>get a couple friends
???
>>
>>58260100
See >>58259575
>>
File: 1464573690495.jpg (5KB, 250x215px) Image search: [Google]
1464573690495.jpg
5KB, 250x215px
>>58259205
>degenerate business major cuck meme

is this how fucking CS majors sound these days?
>>
Can someone summarize in a few words what the agile method is?

It sounds like a metamarketing buzzword
>>
>>58259461
All software projects are suitable for iterative development, unless you're hiring code monkeys who don't know how to design or write properly decoupled components.
>>
>>58259205
>1. ask customer about high level details
>2. create MVP as quickly as possible
>3. ask customer for feedback
>4. develop software according to feedback
>5. repeat 3 and 4 indefinitively

Now you know agile. The alternative is the following.

>1. Get all initial requirements and precisely plan everything
>2. implement everything in one step
>3. test it
>4. ship to customer
>5. go bankrupt because the software doesn't do what the customer wants
>>
>>58259205
It's a methodology and it's not a bad one, but it's not suitable for every project and it's not without it's flaws.

It's fine to use it, just don't get tricked into believing it's the only way to do things. Do keep in mind it was mainly sold on "It's better than waterfall" which basically boils down to "Some structure is better than no structure".
>>
>>58261356
>doesn't know what it is
>already has an opinion
/g/, everyone
>>
>>58261779
But waterfall IS a structure. That's it's main problem, that it's too fucking structured and rigid.
>>
>>58261742
That's not Agile, you're forgetting absolutely critical things like pair programming and user stories. Stop spreading bullshit. What you're describing is a poorly explained version of an evolutionary prototyping lifecycle.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.