[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do my torrents slow down my Internet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I have an ADSL line that can reach a download speed of about 700KB/s. However, since a couple of days, whenever I start a torrent, my Internet speed massively slows down - torrents download at only 50KB/s and everything else is slow as shit, I can barely load any webpage.

I tried limiting the number of TCP connections in my torrent client to 100 (from 500), I tried turning off any option on my router that may impact performance, I tried with another computer,... but I can't figure out what's causing the slow down.

Any idea?
>>
0/10
>>
>>58241802
very insightful answer, thanks for your contribution

however, it doesn't solve my issue
>>
>>58241814
The internet speed is constrained by your cdrom drive. When you start the internet from your AOL cd you get full speed out of the box. When you start torrenting, some of the speed is given to the torrents, making the rest of the internet slow. It's a trade off, you either torrent and surf slow, or surf fast and not torrent.
>>
File: NG06ZJNQ[1].jpg (18KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
NG06ZJNQ[1].jpg
18KB, 512x512px
>>58241872
>AOL
I'm not American. Pic related.

>When you start torrenting, some of the speed is given to the torrents
As stated above, I'm not retarded. On the 700KB/s available, only about 50KB/s go to torrents and everything else stops working altogether. This only happens when using torrents; regular HTTP downloads happily use all of the available bandwidth.
>>
>>58241902
Il se foutait de ta gueule au cas ou t'ai pas pigé
>>
>>58241787
Maybe ISP throttling?
>>
>>58241902
>I'm not American. Pic related.
We already know that because if you were then you would have assumed that the ISP fucks you over.

Could it be that your ISP have americanized and started fucking over their customers? Throttling the speed when you turn on a torrent?

>>58241958
I was thinking this as well...
>>
>>58241981
According to various Google searches, SFR doesn't throttle torrents. I'm running a Glasnost test right now.
>>
>>58242041
glasnost says everything is fine
>>
>>58241787
Downloading also requires uploading some data. If there too many uploading connections and to few downloading connections it might slow it down. I have basically the same speed and usually keep the global upload speed at 5 ~ 10 kbps. If i don't do that the download slows down.

Might also be the ISP cucking you.
>>
>>58242192
shit, anon

I limited my upload speed to 10KB/s and it works like a charm

thanks, anon!
>>
>>58242237
Are you gonna thank me too?
>>58241872
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.