[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Immature Technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 1443858983642.jpg (58KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1443858983642.jpg
58KB, 1920x1080px
What do you believe are some technologies that have yet to mature before they are worth buying?

I'll start:

1. Drones:
Still very limited flying duration can carry anything more sophisticated than a GoPro at common consumer price points.

2. Smart Watches:
Way too little processing power and short battery life. I don't even think these will improve much to be honest. Moore's law on the verge of collapse within the next decade.
>>
3. Software
>>
VR
>>
File: 1482475774049.jpg (123KB, 746x734px) Image search: [Google]
1482475774049.jpg
123KB, 746x734px
Why the fuck does a smart watch need more processing power than what they have already?
>>
>>58238566
Definitely this.

Also, dare I say it....SSDs. While the prices have drastically plummeted from what they once were,their markup is still insane when you look at what it costs to manufacture them. Take a quick look at the wholesale prices of third party manufacturers / supplier to get an idea of how much they really cost. I'm not buying one until the 500GB SATA III ones hit $100.

This will likely happen within two to three years since Intel Optane drives start competing with SSDs
>>
>>58238575
You literally cant do anything your phone can't do with a high-end smart watch costing around $500-$1200. To answer your question, I reasoning with the general idea that any form of information technology is only useful if it has the ability to process more information. Smart watches will be useless in my opinion unless it can do something truly revolutionary that other devices simply can't replace.
>>
>>58238638
ssds are for sure "stock up when there's a crazy sale" technology.

as for op, the #1 thing holding consumer tech back is battery. we keep shaving nanometers off our chips but keep ignoring the fact consumer-level energy storage hasn't radically changed in decades
>>
>>58238295
if smart watches can't project 3d holograms and shoot web and shit by the end of the decade then they were a waste
>>
>>58238733
You can get a nice smart watch for much less,, and they are meant as companion devices to your cell phone for the most part anyway though.
>>
>>58238575

It's mostly related to sensor processing which more clock cycles would be helpful - not to mention some of that sensor data is time sensitive (ie if it's not done before the next interrupt it's worthless.)

Smart watches are mostly about being sensors and the more processing you can do on the device and less you need to do on the phone the better.
>>
>>58238733
Well, they are i/o devices that you can wear on your wrist. I can't do that with anything else. If I want to read a notification or give a short answer to a message or change the music/volume on my phone from my wrist, I can do that. You don't need that. But you don't need a smartphone either.
>>
>>58238893
I can shitpost from mine.
>>
>>58238566
VR
Home assistants(amazon echo/etc)
>>
>>58238295
Laser eye surgery.

I know people who have lost a lot of vision from it.
>>
>>58238295
Late 2016 MacBook Pro. No ports, not enough performance and battery life.
>>
>>58238295
3. Smartphones - right now you have the choice between smartphones from fraudsters or adware conmen aka also fraudsters
4. Tablets
5. VR
6. Computer screens - because they need to get to a resolution where I can't recognize single pixels and let that be the standard for average computers
7. >>58239010
8. >>58238560
9. intercom and locking systems - need to be debotnetted
10. car electronics and UI

However
>> Home assistance
No, they are doomed to be a meme botnet forever.
>>
>>58238295
Agree with drones (would add the option of carrying heavier items or people even) , smartwatches are a gimmick but could be good if battery technology catches up.
For me it's e-cars. They need better battery technology and won't be truly eco friendly until we kick fossile fule power plants for good...
>>
File: 1482696288796.jpg (8KB, 250x203px) Image search: [Google]
1482696288796.jpg
8KB, 250x203px
Everything internet of things.
It relies on the manufacturers servers for functionality that gets abandoned after a few months of maintenance.
And most if not all of them cheap out on security because "nobody knows how to use tcpdump\wireshark"
Special mention goes to """smart""" TVs and fridges, those things are a nightmare to secure.
>>
File: 3dprint.jpg (55KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
3dprint.jpg
55KB, 800x450px
3D printing.

Give it a few years, and I think it's gonna blow people away with what we can accomplish.
>>
File: CgQm9TjUkAApXkE.jpg (31KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CgQm9TjUkAApXkE.jpg
31KB, 480x480px
>>58238818
Batteries aren't to blame for that, at least not that much.
Problem is, when they do a die shrink they also slim down the phone and thus give it a smaller battery.

>>58240194
>Home assistance
Until you have a walking talking working robot maid, home assistance is worthless.
Shouting at a plastic cylinder is just dumb.
>>
VR
>>
>>58238904
Nah fuck that. There is no sensor that I can think of, even multiple different types together, that couldn't be processed by an arduino.

An arduino has enough power to record 44khz audio, write it to an so card, Read other sensors like temperature, humidity and GPS and a ton of other shit. The only reason it would need more processing power is because people are writing bad code.
>>
>>58240222
A regular car engine can extract about 20% of the energy from the fuel it burns. A gas power station can get up to 70% efficiency. These are both to do with fundamental laws of thermodynamics. The gas plant will produce more energy and less pollution than a car, so an electric car will be "polluting" a fraction than a regular car. The biggest reason a gas plant can run so much more efficiently is it does not have to be designed to move.

Electric or hydrogen fuelled cars are the future, but they will not be the future untill they are considered regular cars. So yeah they just need to make better batteries.
>>
>>58240878
Yes. Also they should work on developing tougher more nature friendly polymers so they can replace steel in car manufacturing and reduce weight. (yes, there were "plastic" cars that did that. The Trabant was a great example, its shell was better than metal. Too bad the engine and drive train were commie standard...)
>>
>>58238818
Battery capacity improves slowly on the order of 7% per year but it's far from stagnating.
>>
>>58238295
ARM SBCs (other than RPi) and servers.
I say give it another 10 years and we might get something worth buying.
>>
>>58240293
People said the same thing about 2D printers and they never fucking went anywhere.
>>
>>58238818
>ssds are for sure "stock up when there's a crazy sale" technology.
Actually SSDs are "evolution happening so fast you don't buy them if not for immediate use" technology
>>
>>58241282
SSDs are the epitome of stagnation. Show me a $100 SSD with 500GB.
>>
>>58240260
Oh yes. I fucking despise that shit, irrespective of any security concerns (which are very real for the reasons you mentioned). Why do I need an internet connection in every shitty device I own? I'm content with my fridge and washing machine being "dumb".
>>
>>58240302
>pic
...well.. its a kodi box...
better get the lube
>>
>>58241311
SanDisk, WD and Crucial have 500GB SSDs for about $130. I'll give it a year or so until we get some $100 ones.
>>
>>58240260
IoT will be a meme until they fix four things:

Offline support if the vendor shuts down their services or internet is not available.
Standardisation or interoperability between vendors.
Security issues.
Updates and custom user written software.

Google's Nest themostat chooses the coldest or hottest setting if there is no fucking internet.
Most IoT devices run some old as shit linux kernel with shit ton of security problems with a crappy default root password.

The first problem could be easily solved with an offline database like couchdb. Maybe someone even makes a lightweight offline DB explicitly for IoT devices who knows.
Standardisation is something that simply needs time because right now they are fighting for the most marketshare.
Security issues could be solved by making the vendors legally responsible for their devices.
About custom software I have no idea if that will ever happen.
>>
>>58240878
Renault Zoe would be the best electric normie car if it weren't for the shitty battery leasing. Paying a monthly fee is not the problem. The problem is that you can only sell the car if the buyer also gets battery leasing. If you're willing to drive it until it's rusted to shit then it's an acceptable deal.
>>
It's less about products in general and more about specific products and their lack of features or designs. The 'usefulness' isn't determined by product maturity at all in many cases. You can look at a product and see if it currently lacks the features you'd want to make it worth it to you right now. But it's not about some general maturity. In general any piece of tech that doesn't lend itself open to IOT Integration is a risky buy if you aim to keep it for at least 3-5 years. The interfacing potential with IOT is significant and its ridiculous how cheap it's gonna be too. How many dollars would you pay to be able to program your coffee brewer to be done when you wake up? On the manufacturer end it's less than a dollar in hardware costs already.

>>58238566
VR is very far along. The issue is interfacing. But for right now I see them more appropriate for industry than home use simply due to price and how it's difficult to develop high quality products for VR since you don't have so many established users.

I'm happy to see valve heading the openvr project. It's exactly what VR needs to not have a gap like the PDA vs smartphones had.
>>58240293
3D Printing is gonna be major in the future. But there needs to be standardised materials distribution. Which is not something that crowd seems to favor.

Personally I think Alarms have the most to make up right now. Most don't operate using mesh networks. Consumer grade alarms obviously, and not ones that want wired networking out of a false sense of added security (connecting to a home users local network is less secure than running a properly secured mesh network).
I think any small peripheral should be relying on mesh networking in some form.
Mesh networking allows them to be far more extensible.

Though looking at IOT people and their companies they are really really shit at it. Staggeringly so. Most stand around doing absolutely nothing and looking for something to copy. Good for me.
>>
>>58238575
>watch need more processing power
That is to compensate for today's generation of programmers. A "problem"? Just load up a multi megabyte library complete with a virtual machine.

A real programmers would have been able to make use of a 10 MHz 16-bit processor with around 1 MB RAM.
>>
>>58238295
I have a fit bit with a big screen on it and runs fine. I go about a week and a half withput charging it. Idk if its considered a smart watch. Smart watcjes are kind of stupid anyways
>>
>>58241495
>Maybe someone even makes a lightweight offline DB explicitly for IoT devices who knows.

*cough*sqlite*cough*
>>
>>58240293
b-but you already can print a dildo
>>
car dashboards. They need to be computer monitors and riceable
>>
>>58240302
>that pic
Oooooh shit a bottle of sriracha?? I hope the seal is good...
>>
>>58240835

Arduino can't do proper FFT without serious hacks and compromises.

Also it can't record raw well, without a external ADC. Dem 8bit analog pins.
>>
>>58238295
>drones
you mean batteries
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.