[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Place to Buy Pre-Installed Linux Laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: jizz-shits.jpg (50KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
jizz-shits.jpg
50KB, 1024x768px
I currently own a macbook pro which I have grown sick of and I want a linux laptop again. Need some suggestions as to the best place I should buy one.

I'm currently looking at ThinkPenguin and a few have suggested System76, but I've also heard some pretty shitty things about System76.

I know other more mainstream names sell pre-installed linux laptops such as Dell and Lenovo, but I've had shitty experiences with both in the past and Lenovo's several spyware scandals worry me.

What wisdom does /g/ have to impart?

Also, absolute most i'm willing to pay is probably around $1,100
>>
>>58232599
>What wisdom does /g/ have to impart?
It will cost more for a laptop without any OS than one with some shitty Windows starter edition on it. Just buy that and install your favourite distro on it yourself. Or even bether, install your favourite distro on your macbook pro.
>>
system76 is your best bet if you want a preinstalled Linux laptop. I assume you want things to jsut werk and don't like the direction Apple is taking their newer laptops.
>>
Hey, if I start a hardware company, I can focus on using open-source software to cut down on costs. I could make simple user-friendly tech for old grandmas and market it as extremely secure due to running open-source software.

Just a random thought
>>
>>58232599
Why can't you just find a laptop you like and install GNU/Linux yourself? Making installation media for 95% of distros is the easiest thing in the world, and all you need is a flash drive and 25 minutes of your time.
>>
>>58232599
Dells and HPs have good Linux support and on some models they have an option of FreeDOS as the OS. Also, sometimes you can get lucky and they will refund you the money you paid for Windows if you tell them you don't use it.
>>
>>58232599
The best source of information you can get is https://www.gnu.org/links/companies.html

Is actually pretty dope, it comes preinstalled not just with the operative system but with libre firmware also.
>>
File: lsmOStB.jpg (107KB, 898x837px) Image search: [Google]
lsmOStB.jpg
107KB, 898x837px
>>58232721
Already being thought, and they get good money.
>>
>>58232599

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58232633
Depending on the distro, this can not be such a good idea. I had ubuntu 16.04 installed on mine and idling/light (1 to 2 tab) web browsing had my cpu up to 90 celsius (194 fahrenheit). Linux mint was slightly better, but still ran hotter than MacOS or Windows on the same machine.
>>
>>58232599
fsf.org/resources/hw for fsf endorsed hardware
>>
>>58232599
>Pre-Installed Linux Laptop
If you can't even install Linux you shouldn't do this.
>>
>>58235613
> buy mac
> add ram
Jesus, is this like two decades old?
>>
>>58232599
Tuxedo.
>>
>>58239557
No.
>>
>>58232599
>Buy a laptop
>install Linux
If you can't install Linux by yourslef then maybe you should stick to iOS
>>
>>58232847
25? Shit, nigga, I can do it in ten.
>>
>>58232599
>and Lenovo's several spyware scandals worry me.

That only applies to windows 10 machines, which already has a lot of spyware hard coded into the OS. a little more spyware does not hurt anyone and it only applies to people who do not care about being spied on anyway (people who run windows). It's not a bad thing at all, Lenovo benefits and nobody really has things done against their will
>>
>>58239555
>>58242728
The laptops he's looking at come with Ubuntu which is the MacOS of Linux (even the tech illiterates can use it)
>>
File: 1434413004003.jpg (64KB, 720x552px) Image search: [Google]
1434413004003.jpg
64KB, 720x552px
>>58245549
>a little more spyware does not hurt anyone
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.