[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80's / 90's computing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: tmp_29138-images(5)41255360.jpg (9KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29138-images(5)41255360.jpg
9KB, 232x217px
I was born in 88, and have worked with computers since I can remember, is it just me or is the older kit just more interesting than todays standardized puzzlepieces. I wish I could have started my career in the early days of computing. Also retro thread
>>
My intrest right now is econet, but I find old hardware and weird standards amazing. Want to tryout a thicknet build soon for my pcjr's
>>
Pic related, a nexus econet router
>>
>>58231461
>>
>>58231605
wat
>>
>>58231624
10base-2 backbone to 10base-t, becuase fuck it
>>
>>58231395
It's not just you, new hardware doesn't have the same kinda charm.

I mean, as far as computers go, you had a C64 and you had to work around its limitations, quirks and whatnot, do some hacking to make it do unconventional stuff. Remember those flashy demos pirate groups used to do for their bootlegs? Amazing stuff. Nowadays you just get your Python, import some libraries and write whatever the fuck you want with no regard to resources, no skill required.

Even if you get old hardware... what's the point in doing it besides discovery? You essentially waste your time learning useless stuff. I can't shake that feeling whenever I try messing around with old gear. Completely kills it for me.
>>
>>58231706
Actually I come across situations where my ancient knowledge proves useful, I work with epos and bar equipment, it hasn't changed much in 20 years
>>
>>58231395
nice wang, OP

:^)
>>
File: genera_boot.png (752KB, 640x511px) Image search: [Google]
genera_boot.png
752KB, 640x511px
>>
If you haven't written a piss poor program in basic on a commodore 64 / vic 20 you dont belong on this board
>>
File: oldcomputer.png (399KB, 602x426px) Image search: [Google]
oldcomputer.png
399KB, 602x426px
>>58231395
ahh the 90s, when an OS actually functioned instead of just being product pushing dog shit
>>
>>58232093
Are you serious? Were you using computer back then? Windows 95 would fuck up more spectacularly than windows 10
>>
>>58232093

I'd reply to this but System is Busy
>>
>>58231706
>Completely kills it for me.
if you don't enjoy it it's stupid to mess with it anyways
>>
>>58232875
reminds me how win95 fucking froze while reading/writing a floppy while amiga didn't have any problems while doing it
>>
>you will never experience Windows NT for the first time
>>
>>58232093
internet Explorer shell integration
>>
>>58231395
>wang
Mfw
>>
File: S_Motorola-MC68000P10[1].jpg (27KB, 443x217px) Image search: [Google]
S_Motorola-MC68000P10[1].jpg
27KB, 443x217px
I have recently started to realize just how important Motorola and the 68000 CPU have been to history.

The 68000 was in so many machines. Machines which represent this whole side of computing that is not generally associated with Personal Computers. But it was in everything from Unix workstations to Arcade Machines to the Sega Genesis to current embedded systems and devices still in use.

A lot of the video game systems out there (arcade and console) are just repackaged versions of Motorola 68k machines with little bits and pieces of extra hardware tacked on.

Sega Genesis, Neo Geo, CPS1 , CPS2, Sega 16, X68000

All more or less the same platform with different branding.

In theory, those old Sun Workstations could have played some bitchin' games even though any time the question was asked the answer would be have hearty scoff and "these for WORK" reply.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.