[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Station?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Charging Station Question.png (447KB, 827x1112px) Image search: [Google]
Charging Station Question.png
447KB, 827x1112px
/g/
I'm a teacher wanting to create a charging station for as many of my students as possible. It's a soft incentive for them to check in their phones. I already have a sorting system in place so their phones are secure with me— what I need is power.

Would it be a viable/safe idea to buy several of these chargers and plug them into a power strip? Could I run into potential faults/electrical issues/fires? I'm trying to come up with a way to charge as many phones as possible (up to 40) without breaking the bank/causing issues. Suggestions?
>>
how about fuck you
>>
>teacher

How many jailb8s u fucked?
>>
>>58228082
>I already have a sorting system in place so their phones are secure with me
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>58228082
Would be fine, depending on the quality of the phone chargers. You wont be drawing anywhere near enough power to make a fire.
>>
>>58228132
tl;dr, I have a wooden 40-slot sorter with each slot being about 1x4" and the kids have numbers assigned to them for various things around the room, this being one of them.
>>
File: giphy.gif (4KB, 90x90px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
4KB, 90x90px
>>58228139
Thanks. I was specifically looking at this:
www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=116&cp_id=10851&cs_id=1085102&p_id=13915&seq=1&format=2
>>
>>58228149
>tl;dr, I have a wooden 40-slot sorter with each slot being about 1x4" and the kids have numbers assigned to them for various things around the room, this being one of them.
Christ that's autistic.

Why do you want to confiscate (err, 'charge') their phones anyway?
>>
>>58228813
Not him, but obviously so they don't play with their phones all class
>and he wants the kiddy nudes they send eachother, sick pervert
>>
>>58228813
OP Here.
Discipline control and anti-cheating for things like tests. By going about the problem this way, I provide them a small incentive for turning their phone into me. It's voluntary unless they're causing a distraction/being distracted, and then their phone is surrendered to me, which in turn gets charged and the kid gets it back at the end of the period/day (depending on severity).

It's like preemptive conflict resolution. Either way, I'm not here to justify my pedagogy, I'm just here to get advice.
>>
>>58228082
Let's look at how much you'll be drawing if you had 40 phones plugged in and charging.
We'll assume a phone draws ~1.5 amps at 5 volts, on average.

40 x 5 x 1.5 = 300 Watts Total Max Draw
That's less than a small space heater.

You won't melt even the shittiest of Chinese surge protectors. No fire risk.
>>
Im gay
>>
>>58229242
Awesome.
Thank you for the help.
>>
>>58229085
>I provide them a small incentive for turning their phone into me

How will you turn yourself into human again?
>>
>>58229085
I think it's a good idea.
I cheated a lot back in high school, with my flip phone and graphing calculator.

But then again I also used a really cool cheat where you just got a list of what topics would be on the test and memorized all the info you could on them.
>>
>>58228097
>>58228128
>>58228861
>>58229263
>>58229299
Good fucking lord when did /g/ get full of shitposters
>>
>>58229085
Bad time to ask g at this time of year mate. I'm not familiar with 110V and have no idea what your fuses and breakers are rated to but for us who live in parts of the world with a reasonable mains voltage, most extension cords are rated at 13A, using the relationship P=IV :
P = 220V * 13A = 2860W

USB standard provides 5V and most dedicated charges can supply up to 1.5A, I've seen 2.1A chargers so we'll use those in the same relationship as above:
P = 2.1 * 5 = 10.5W
We'll apply a quick fudge factor and say wall chargers are only 50% efficient and draw ~20W for every phone.
In a country with reasonable mains, a standard 13A extension and wall socket should be able to charge ~143 phones.

The usb hub should state what it draws and you'll probably find it can't provide a full 1.5A to each of its sockets at all times. Honestly you should ask someone like youtube personality great scott or electroboom.

Good luck.
>>
>>58229352
>When
Been that way for a while. They've just been getting less clever and less funny.
>>
>>58228149
This is wrong.
>>
>>58228082
Found this, that'll give you 20-60 ports with one charger, kind of on the expensive side though.

https://www.allputer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2602&m=1
>>
>>58229085
>pedagogy
Ew, you shouldn't be a teacher, creep.
>>
File: 4.jpg (102KB, 373x263px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
102KB, 373x263px
>>58228082
>as many phones as possible (up to 40)

Guys I think he's trying to teach (babysit) inner city kids.
>>
>>58228082
>>58228188
Some things to consider, OP, whether it matters or not.

Multiport chargers aren't the same as multiple single-port chargers. You'll notice this on the one you link to:

>Featuring 8A/40W of USB charging power, with up to 2.4A/12W per port,
>6 USB ports

12W*6 = 72 W, while the charger itself is 40W. It clearly can't charge all devices at full speed. The charger circuitry varies, and can decide to just fall back to 2.5W on all of them.

Also, some of these have awful coil whine. Make sure to read reviews.
>>
>>58230796
This is a great solution.
Wonder how loud this thing is though.
>>
>>58228082
Kids are going to steal expensive iPhones and you will be responsible for it.
>>
check out aukey chargers at aliexpress i have multiple products from this brand its highest quality
>>
>>58228082
Do you really want to be blamed (justifiably or no) when one of these fuckwits' phones fucks up around the time it was in your makeshift charging slot?

Also fuck you I used my phone heaps in class and my grades beat >90% of the country.
>>
>>58228082
Op you're trying to copy nudes over USB arent you?
Also this>>58231303
And this >>58232917
Are huge liabilities you are exposing yourself to
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.