[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is CodeAcademy a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1463944.png (3KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463944.png
3KB, 200x200px
Tell it to me straight /g/,

Is starting off with no coding experience on CodeAcademy a bad idea?
>>
of course it's a meme. You obviously don't need this shit. The people before this shit era didn't.
>>
Nah, it's pretty good for beginners. Try the python course if you're just starting out.
>>
it is a bad idea yes, it is horrible for beginners. Because you only learn syntax. Programming involves much more than that. It is good if you are comfortable and know about compilers, testing, algoritms IDEs and so on. But if you are just starting out then it is likely the worst way to start. I have never been able to learn anything from CodeAcademy. It is nice for doing exercises AFTER you have learned stuff.

I would start with something else. MIT has a intro to computer science course with Python that is largely based on SICP which people here love.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9

(next course starts in january)

or you could use Udacity (which I also recommend because it's super interactive and gives you lots of experience at once)
https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101
>>
>>58222289
okay I'll be on that Udacity course ASAP and sign up for that MIT course as well. Thanks anon!
>>
>>58222289
the MIT course docs are freely available on their website without having to be enrolled into anything. I glossed over some of the materials and it's all pretty good. Probably the best way to actually start programming.
>>
>>58222248
I see you still have not grasped what technology is for. I bet you use Linux as well.
>>
>>58223008

You can't use Linux without GNU, so no, I don't use Linux, I use GNU+Linux.
>>
It's pretty good, but you don't learn about compiling your shit. This is why people don't recommend IDEs when starting off. If you mess around with compilers afterwards, you should be fine
>>
>>58223048
>You can't use Linux without GNU
Actually you can
>>
Learn one lanuage from there and then move on to written docs. Its too bloated and takes way to long to get through an entire tutorial just to learn syntax
>>
>>58222211

If you've never written code then writing some code probably can't hurt. It's not great, but it's not a big commitment..
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.