[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I CAN'T BRAIN TODAY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1122509702_full.jpg (51KB, 175x273px) Image search: [Google]
1122509702_full.jpg
51KB, 175x273px
Stupid question:
How does a bootable installer (1.7gb iso) on a 4gb flash drive download a 3.9gb file from torrent?

I had a hdd failure, and while I'm waiting for a new hdd to come in the mail I'm booting off a thumbdrive (mint Linux 18). Since I get free wifi at work, I decided to re-download the Windows 8.1 installer to use when the new drive shows up. But the Windows iso is 3.9 gb and the only drive connected to the pc is only 4gb and already has the Linux iso burned on it.
I expected the comp to crash when it passed the 2gb mark (which I thought was the limit for the persistence file) but it didn't. The whole thing downloaded and I plugged another drive in and copied the iso from downloads to the 32gb drive.
There literally was no HDD at all in this laptop.
What is this i don't even?
>>
>>58217130
You can't speak today, either. Is the installer 1.7GB or 3.9?
>>
>>58217232
The Linux bootable that I was using was 1.7gb iso on a 4gb flash drive.
I booted with that and downloaded a 3.9gb windows installer.
>>
>at work
It's possible that you have a network drive
>>
>>58217271
So it probably overwrote the Linux distro.
>>
>>58217271
That's because you're a gravitational pull.
>>
>>58217308
No, it was my own Mint 18 installer boot. I'm a construction worker and the dentist's office I'm working on is attached to a medical center that has free guest wifi.
>>58217310
Not it either. The bootable is still fine (using it right now).
>>
>>58217377
Post pic of 5.6GB on a 4GB drive.
>>
>>58217427
Not exactly how it works.
When you're booted on the installer, it won't let you access the drive directly, it's unable to mount it in the file browser because it's an installable iso. It reads it as the HDD and you get the normal Home, Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, folders. This is what happens when you try to directly view the folder's contents (pic) and it doesn't retain files when you shut it off without signing off properly (the battery died).
>>
>>58217534
So put it on another goddamn computer and show 5.6GB on a 4GB drive.
>>
>>58217534

You've got a half full 32 GB volume right there. Are you trying to trick us?
>>
>>58217669
And it's showing 4GB free space on the drive.
>>
Could it be that it was kept in the RAM until you shut the laptop off?
>>
>>58217130
Linux live filesystem expands into RAM
>>
>>58217632
It isn't in the Downloads anymore because the computer shut off. The Persistence File will save documents up to 2gb, but it doesn't save to the Persistence File unless you shut down or reboot via the menu. The power cutting out means you lose whatever you downloaded, so the only proof I could show you would be the copy of the 3.9gb file on the 32gb msDuo which wouldn't really prove anything.
>>58217669
That's a microSD that also was not in the laptop at the time. I put that in after I got home so I wouldn't have to have my psp usb'd to the laptop to save pictures off of 4chan.
>>58217717
The laptop does have 8gb ram, I didn't even think of that. I thought that was more a measure of how much info it could process at once, can it really just hold a file that large like that?
>>
>>58217130
RAM
>>
>>58217783
dh -h
Take notice of any tmpfs
>>
>>58217887
>mint@mint ~ $ dh -h
>dh: No compatibility level specified in debian/compat
>dh: This package will soon FTBFS; time to fix it!
>dh: Compatibility levels before 4 are no longer supported (level 1 requested)
>>
The distro probably injected itself into RAM upon boot for better performance. Your downloaded file overwrote the distro on the flash drive. Once you shut down your PC you'll no longer be able to boot from the flash drive because your Mint shit is deleted.
>>
>>58218091
No, I'm on that same Mint thumbdrive right now, it wasn't deleted/overwritten. It was shut down when the battery died after downloading the file, and I booted off it again when I got home and plugged the laptop in. Pretty sure the other anons are right and it was actually holding the 3.9gb windows iso in RAM.
>>
>>58218028
It was a typo
df -h
>>
>>58218170
>mint@mint ~ $ df -h
>Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% >Mounted on
>udev 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /dev
>tmpfs 779M 9.3M 770M 2% /run
>/dev/sda 1.6G 1.6G 0 100% /cdrom
>/dev/loop0 1.6G 1.6G 0 100% /rofs
>/cow 3.9G 252M 3.6G 7% /
>tmpfs 3.9G 824K 3.8G 1% /dev/shm
>tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
>tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
t>mpfs 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /tmp
>cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
>tmpfs 779M 40K 779M 1% /run/user/999
>/dev/sdb1 30G 13G 17G 44% /media/mint/disk
>>
>>58217130
The liveUSB gets loaded into memory so you can wipe it while running and what you've loaded already will still function.
Try pulling out the USB, the system won't crash, you just can't open any new programs.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.