[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ISP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: arsis.jpg (46KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
arsis.jpg
46KB, 900x900px
Anyone here have Spectrum as their ISP? NYC area?

Moving on my own and Spectrum is the only ISP available in that apt. Internet id cheap 40$ for 100Mbps and no cost for the modem

But I noticed that if you want wifi, it's 5$ a month. wtf?

I want to make sure that this wifi 5$ a month thing is literately just them giving you a modem with wifi, but charging you 5$ extra because it has wifi.

If that's the case, anyone care to recommend a modem/router (min 2 port lan).

I was looking at this:
ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580
but I want wifi with 802.ac

Thanks in advance yall. Budget no more than 100$
>>
They still charge you to "rent" their modem, it's in the fine print. It's usually 10-15 dollars a month.

The 5 dollars extra is for a modem with built-in WiFi. Just buy any wireless AC router and you'll be fine if you don't have any special needs.
>>
>>58216483
Well it says the modem is included in the price. I'll just get their modem, and I'll get a separate router. It'll be cheaper anyway. thanks
>>
>>58216639

Just be sure to read your bill, ISPs love to throw in a bunch of little charges until your 40 dollar bill becomes a 70 dollar bill.

Also, make sure you know when your promotion ends so you aren't surprised when the rate jumps up to 120 dollars a month.
>>
>>58216664
Yea will do. They have fine print for all other offers regarding tv + internet + phne. I'm just getting internet, and there is only fine print for wifi. But I will read the bill thoroughly when I get it. Thanks man
>>
>>58216451
That modem is good, don't get a 2-in-1, get a separate router
>>
>>58216451
I have Spectrum, formally known as Time Warner. I use a Surfboard and do not pay the fee, it is to lease a modem from them.

Don't get a 2 in 1 though, get the cheaper surfboard that supports the max speed you need then get a wifi router.
>>
>>58216451
>Internet id cheap 40$ for 100Mbps and no cost for the modem
>cheap 40$
>cheap

That is twice as much as it costs in Norway... $40... that's like 4 bottles of beer here or two packets of cigarettes... How can you pay so much for internet?
>>
>>58217238
how can you pay so much for beer and smokes?
>>
>>58217262
It isn't really that much money, in a way I think it's too cheap. Even people on welfare can be drunk every day, should not be like that... But just seems a lot for internet. Do you get those "data caps" as well that I have read about?
>>
>>58217336
I personally don't, but there are providers that do have them.

The issue in the US is that cities are larger, the country is larger, distances cables need to run is larger. There is considerable expense in setting up the infrastructure in the US compared to denser areas like Europe. Many areas will have only one service provider which means they can charge more for service, although that seems to be getting much better.
>>
>>58217238
How can you pay so much for smokes and beer?
>>
>>58217410
>denser areas like Europe.

Norway is about as dense as the midwest.

We have 41 people per square mile... The US has 85.66 people per square mile. You are way more densely populated than Norway. Over twice as densely populated. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_population_density )

Most people in Norway live a 15 minute walk to the nearest neighbour. But we do have ONE city with almost half a million people (if you include the suburbs)
>>
>>58217558
I suspected that Norway wouldn't conform to this. Are you getting the cheaper internet speeds in the one city? Or is it common to everywhere? Some rural areas of the US can't even get internet service.
>>
>>58217709
I only live in the city, but you can at least get mobile phone internet everywhere. When I lived on a farm we had internet just like the city, but the farm was only 1 hour drive from Oslo though, so might not be representative.
>>
>Americans have choice of one ISP
>Americans need to navigate a contractual minefield to ensure they're not getting fucked
>freedom
>>
>>58218277
it's freedom for ISPs to fuck over consumers
>>
I will use this thread to ask a question. I too use Spectrum as ISP and I'm using their 2in1 Modem-Wifi. Are those enough or should I get a better modem?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.