[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ideally, how fast should a CPU be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

Ideally, how fast should a CPU be?
>>
>>58201842
fast
>>
10^42 Hz
>>
"Fast" isn't a very good way to describe CPU processing power. Depends on the task at hand as well considering what you wanted to do on the device.

I guess I would have to say as much power as you can pack into the device without it becoming redundant. Such as a processor in a TV on par with modern desktops would serve no purpose without it becoming a redundancy and waste of resources. It's more about the software limitations that can take power of the product.
>>
>>58201842
[spoiler]bout tree fiddy[/spoiler]
infinitely fast, ideally, i guess
practically, fast enough to perform a given task
>>
>>58201842
fasterthan the speed of sound
>>
Faster than the fastest AMD memeprocessors.

...which pretty much every current Intel processor is.
>>
>>58201842
about 120-140 km/h
>>
It should be quick with its tasks, not necessarily fast. I'd say that a consumer level processor should be fast enough to complete in 24-48 hours most (=2 standard deviations) processing tasks
>>
Fast enough to do what you need it to.
>>
>>58201901
damnit monstah
>>
>>58202223
kek
>>
>>58202223
>>
SUPER FAST
>>
>>58201842
Isn't there some issue with 5ghz+ not feasible because of the speed of light, I have an MIT EE grad buddy who gets hammered and rants about tech stuff and he was telling me just the physical size of the motherboard is a factor in how fast a processor can get
>>
>>58201842
Faster than the amount of time it takes for you to ejaculate after performing sexual intercourse in the missionary position.
>>
>>58201842
very
>>
File: SLG6hp4.jpg (519KB, 800x1051px) Image search: [Google]
SLG6hp4.jpg
519KB, 800x1051px
Bitchin' fast
>>
>>58203192
No. You can get 5ghz with overclocking. It's meaningless to use ghz as a benchmark anyway since 5ghz on one architecture is different than another. The motherboard size is not a limiting factor for advancement. He is just BSing.
>>
In all seriousness, could someone explain what's going on with clock speeds? They seemed to go up exponentially until around 3-4 GHz and stayed there.
>>
>>58203797
power consumption and heat.
>>
>>58201842
I think 8 khz is about average
>>
Faster than AMD

Zimbabwe!
>>
>>58203192
Overclocking world records

http://valid.x86.fr/records.html#js-freq_all
>>
>>58201842
this is just shitposting.
>>
>>58204053
Niger!
>>
>>58201842
faster
>>
>>58201842
For a full mouse and window based gui you barely need 1mhz.
>>
>>58201842
speedy enough
>>
5 maybe 7 fasts
>>
>>58201842

4ghz
>>
>>58201842
Fast enough that video/3D rendering and physics simulations are instantaneous.

It's disgusting how slow that shit still is even if you have the best cpu and gpu combo available.
>>
>>58201842
Top of the line Intel Xeon E7 running at 5 GHz would probably be the fastest CPU.
>>
>>58201842

niggerlicious
>>
At least 600 Mhz, I can do pretty much anything comfortably with a single 600 Mhz thread, need at least 1Ghz for comfortable video decoding at 1080p, and 1.3 Ghz 4 threads for multitasking and light gaming.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.