[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is my situation: >Have internet in room trough powerline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: vrfesg.jpg (4KB, 198x254px) Image search: [Google]
vrfesg.jpg
4KB, 198x254px
This is my situation:
>Have internet in room trough powerline adapter.
>Using cat5 cable from source to computer.
>Internet connection is about a third of 100mpbs at most when it arrives at my computer.
>Have 250mbps source

So my question is: Will upgrading to cat6 cable increase the speed of the connection I receive at my computer? I believe it depends on wether my connection loss trough the powerline is absolute or relative. Anyone have any idea which of the two it might be?
>>
>>58197112
The problem is most likely in your electrical installation, I doubt buying a CAT6 cable would be a significant improvement. You can always buy one and test it out, it's not like they're expensive or anything.
>>
>>58197112
The bandwidth is limited to the lowest link in the chain, approximately.

What do you think is the bottleneck, the cat 5 or the power infra? Replacing anything not the bottleneck is a waste of money.
>>
>>58197212
ebin trole XD
>>
>>58197166
>>58197203
Thx for the replies. I've done some tests and the bottleneck is def the wiring in my house. The only thing the cat6 cable would do is allow the full signal from my modem to go trough the power outlet.
The question I have is whether the signal going trough my electrical wiring is being bottlenecked abolutely (max 33mbps) or relatively (33% of my source signal).
>>
>>58197301
Consider: are cables rated in terms of speed they support, or % of input speed?
>>
>>58197112
why not just run a switch to you're room, not exactly difficult...
>>
>>58197685
>>58197817
I don't think you guys understand my question. It's about whether the electical cables in my house are weakening my signal relative to the input signal or are they enforcing an absolute speed cap regardless of the speed of the input signal.
>>
>>58198363
The difference between the two is negligible &or irrelevant. Don't use powerline on houses built in 1908 retard
>>
>>58198363
I used to pull 2 down with a PowerLine. It broke so I just used an ethernet from the router and snaked it to my room and it gives me 50 down now.
>>
How much did you pay for this setup? Why aren't use using MoCA?
>>
>>58198418
It's been more consistent for me than using wifi with my room being two stories above my wireless acces point. You really don't seem to understand the question and rather fling insults so maybe you should leave and find a nice speccy thread to shitpost in.
>>
Use wifi or a straight ethernet cable, those powerline adapters are not designed for high performance and are generally shit
>>
>>58198447
>>58198450
Only options are wifi or powerline in my situation. Would just run a cable if I could :/
>>
>>58197112
Your question is not clear, what do you mean by 'source'?

In any case, it'll be a bit of both with a powerline adapter. There will be some relative bandwidth loss, however I suspect you're seeing an absolute bandwidth limit. Cat5 shouldn't be a bottleneck here.
>>
>>58198585
Cat5 makes the maximum input I get in my powerline adaptor connected to my modem 100mpbs an after that it only gets worse untill it reaches my computer. I thought maybe with a cat6 cable I can get the maximum possible bandwith to my powerline adaptor before it goes into my electricity and therefore maybe get more signal trough to my computer at the other end. I'd like to hear your oppinion!
>>
>>58198363
it depends on so many things, what powerline adapter how old are your houses electricals?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.