[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can 4Chan tell me about DevOps?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: DevOps.png (6KB, 315x160px) Image search: [Google]
DevOps.png
6KB, 315x160px
Hey Guys,

I'm starting a new Admin job at a DevOps Startup and I'd be keen to know what you know about this thing?

I'd be really keen to know if you have any sauces or material which could help me in understanding this better!

Thanks to call in advance!
>>
>>58191524

>chef/puppet
>docker

here you go
>>
I know you'll be unemployed in six months when the fartup fails.
>>
>>58191524

>devops

honestly, you will hate it immediately

>startup

avoid
>>
File: a.png (10KB, 315x160px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
10KB, 315x160px
>>58191524
delete that
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software
Learn about the software on this wiki and how each interacts with the other. You can learn particularities as you go, firefighting code problems is only a thing when you work in a large ass team, after the initial server setups, your chosen CI tools should take care of the rest.
t. SCM nigga
>>
>>58191524
Docker (well depends)
Jenkins/Travis/...
Deploy scripts
Plesk
Migration

When I'm not doing one of those I'm usually discussing with frontend people how to reduce bandwidth/storage or with backend people how to mininize api calls

> Startup
Can be cool, can suck. Just make sure to leave way ahead when things go south. 15-30 employee startups are generally much more stable than the 5-15 kind in my experience.
>>
>>58191524
>I'd be keen to know what you know about this thing?
Devops is a scam where you sell people things they already have as a solution to problems they probably aren't having. Ansible/Chef/Puppet is devops. CI is devops. Local development on Linux is devops. Having developers on the on-call rota is devops. Using git for your configuration management is devops.

Devops is the hip new title for system administration as it was in 2012, repackaged and re-branded to sell to those people who missed out on the 'agile' craze because they were busy with infrastructure.
>>
>>58191747
Explanation 8/10 view 2/10.
Yes all of those are DevOps, but how is it bullshit to hire a dedicated person to manage these? Its not like you install Puppet from the AppStore and you're done.
I got hired because the company got so much work that the devs were fully booked so it wasnt in any way efficient for them to learn all that stuff.

> its system administration
Kind of yes, it's just that more integrated. Sysops talk to managers, we talk to devs and occasionally to customers.
>>
Devops/agile means your startup will produce a broken pile of shit. Even if it's very fucked up, it still gets shipped anyway.
>>
>>58192173
I don't see how agile could possibly be bad, the principles behind it are pretty fucking solid. The only way you could fuck it up is if you don't even follow it in the vaguest sense.
>>
>>58192139
What typical Jobs do DevOps people do? I hear it's mostly DevOps Engineers and Sysadmins, what types of Projects do Devops people work on?
>>
>>58191524
the tutorials at AWS (amazon web services) should get you going.
>>
>>58192552
Rice desktops on linux installations on the cloud
>>
>>58192552
They dev the ops and ops the dev.
>>
>>58192173
As opposed to never shipping?
>>
>>58192594
What are some of the common tech-stacks used when conducting best practices within DevOps?
>>
>>58192139
>but how is it bullshit to hire a dedicated person to manage these?
It isn't - in fact, most companies usually have one. They call those mysterious creatures "system administrators". They've been around for decades now.
>Sysops talk to managers, we talk to devs and occasionally to customers.
'Sysops' and 'devops' is the same fucking thing we were advertising for in 2005 as 'system administration'. System administrators have always talked to managers, have always talked to developers, and should always talk to the support team that directly handles customers - and you can allocate which system administrators do what however you like, but it's still going to be system administration.

The entire devops narrative is that before it came along the only way a developer could talk to a system administrator about IIS was through a fucking camp fire and smoke signals. When in reality - 99% of companies aren't in the fortune 500 and have never had this problem.

As it turns out, it's possible to employ humans capable of talking to people in other departments, and not every company is a living re-enactment of the 1999 hit 'Office Space'.
>>
I tried into DevOps in my spare time but quickly noticed it's an awful job
I do like using a nice CI system though.
At work I just have to push to master and if no tests fail it gets deployed to production immediately, bretty comfy
>>
>>58192200
Agile is a meme designed to appeal to hipster HTML coders just like communism was a meme designed to appeal to poor farmers

Principles behind communism sounded solid, too, until people actually started putting it in motion
>>
>>58194496
Agile works well for desktop programs as well, not just meme webapps. Also, do I detect some resentment towards poor farmers?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.