[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RF Exploration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: waterfall02.png.gif (547KB, 1038x742px) Image search: [Google]
waterfall02.png.gif
547KB, 1038x742px
Which SDR do you own and what do you do with it?
>>
>>58189996
WebSDR
>>
>>58189996
I remember these threads were made a few years back.

I did some of the plane tracking thing, it was neat, i also decoded some pager packets.
Its mostly sysadmin alerts, ambulance alerts and other stuff like that.

For now its just sitting in my draw.
>>
File: profile_site_2.jpg (28KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
profile_site_2.jpg
28KB, 600x393px
Just recently got my first SDR dongle. So far really enjoying it!

Waiting for two more dongles to set up proper trunked channel listening.
>>
HackRF and RTL_SDR 820T2 are more than enough for basic and intermediate RF exploration. Any more advanced and you may need something a little more specialized.
>>
>>58189996
i own an SDRPlay RSP1 and i love it, i mainly listen to HF ham radio on 40 & 75/80 meters, and check for pirate radio around 6925 to 6975 on weekends usually in the evening from around sun down til midnight
>>
>>58189996
what app is that in the pic???
>>
Would be nice if I could find a non-shit dongle that doesn't repeat the same band over and over...
>>
>>58191937
I'm wondering too, is it music displayed as a spectrogram?
>>
>>58190084
I'm clueless about these things and have no intention of decoding it myself, but what do pagers contain?
>>
>>58191937
>>58191988
Its a waterfall view of a slice of the wireless spectrum.

I've got >>58190267 adapter, and you can listen to any 8mhz slice of the wireless spectrum from around 30mhz up to 1.6ghz.

This covers a lot of range, including some CB radio, FM radio, weather broadcasts, digital TV, us air force encryption channels, numerous hobbies spectrum, etc.

A video of someone using a Software Defined Radio (SDR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovXTPT99-M

Pick one up, its seriously only ~$25 for one that includes an antenna.
>>
>>58192092
>us air force encryption channels,
Meant to say UNencrypted.
In my area it seems like a lot of airforce broadcasts are re-boradcasts of FM radio, go figure.
>>
>>58191969
that is what happens with those cheap rtl-sdr dongles, they dont have much filtering so harmonic images from strong signals will repeat themselves all over the spectrum, usually strong local AM/FM signals do it, and shortwave broadcasters will do it do but not as bad (unless you happen to live near a shortwave broadcast station)
>>
File: yNlQWRM.jpg (912KB, 1813x2111px) Image search: [Google]
yNlQWRM.jpg
912KB, 1813x2111px
What ((((((((practical)))))))) uses are for this?
>>
>>58192589
>>
>>58192589
Super cheap CB/HAM tuner if you're interested.
Cheap way to learn about both analog and digital broadcasting.
For around the $70+ range you can get one that can duplex broadcast/receive if you want to do something wireless yourself (pirate radio, play with SSTV, HAM, etc)

I'm having fun learning about wireless thru designing my own antennas.

I'm not doing anything that can't be done easier over the internet or just buying an antenna, but thats not the point. The practical part is that I'm learning the physics of wireless theory thru a fun hands on approach as opposed to just reading about it. I hope one day I can turn this in to something job related, like a telecom IT analyst working on the internal wireless networking.
>>
>>58189996
rtl-sdr & hackrf signal analysis and reverse engineering also learn about electronics and such. It's been a great ride so far. Currently reversing some kind of POCSAG transmission from a hospital but unable to decode it so far.
Im heading into low frequencies this next year.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.