[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drive cloning software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: FatDogInCorner.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
FatDogInCorner.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
Happy Holidays everyone! I'm looking for drive cloning software recommendations. Free preferably. I'm replacing a 500G HDD with a 120G SSD. Thanks yall!
>>
File: PonderingChihuahua.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
PonderingChihuahua.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
LOL the Christmas hat on the dogs head!
>>
>>58183462
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

install it on the pc, make the boot disk, reboot and do the work.

Make sure your using less than 120gb before you go to make the clone.
>>
>>58183462
cp -r
>>
>>58183462
Clonezilla works great for backups and cloning, and it is free as in freedom.
>>
>>58183705
>cp -r
can do nothing with partitions

>>58184360
>Clonezilla
cannot resize and clone ntfs based on freespace
>>
>>58183462
I would honestly recommend reinstalling. Strange things can happen when cloning blockwise from an hdd to an ssd
>>
>>58184445
dd
>>
>>58185099
>cannot resize

you would have to resize the partitions and then move them to be continuous in order to dd, then you would have to clean up for the new drive dimensions when your done.
>>
>>58185224
>windows problems
>>
>>58183462
dd or rsync
>>
>>58184360
I've been trying to use Clonezilla to copy to an SSD, it doesn't seem to support cloning to a smaller drive.
>>
>>58185244
you can argue all you want, the reality is these problems and limitations exist.

I tried to work around this very problem recently and it turned out to be much easier to rely on a tool whose purpose is to handle these exact issues.

For example the drive I had to clone recently was setup:
Drive 0:
Bootloader
Part1: Windows boot
Part2: windows recovery
Part3: Windows OS
Part4: Hidden Shadow Copy

So in order to move from a larger drive to a smaller you must resize Part 3 to as small as allowable, move Part 4 to be directly behind Part 3 with no space in-between then dd Drive 0 to Drive 1 and fix the table for the new smaller drive or it will incorrectly report the old larger size.

But if the new drive is a SSD you need to account and adjust for block alignment to minimize wear.

Or you could just use the goddamn tool.

>>58185275
It does not support moving to a smaller drive.
>>
>>58185325
1. Use easybcd to put the bootcode into the os partition (part 3)
2. delete the other partitions
3. profit.
>>
>>58185543
im sure windows will just gracefully handle 3 partitions disappearing and its home partition drasticly changing size and position.

come on, why are we even arguing about this.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.