[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

urbit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: urbit.jpg (7KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
urbit.jpg
7KB, 512x512px
http://urbit.org/docs/using/install/

>A personal server is a virtual computer which stores your data, runs your apps, and manages your connected devices.

>Urbit is a secure peer-to-peer network of personal servers, built on a clean-slate system software stack.

VPN + urbit = anonymity on a decentralized network with no points of failure

I'm running it right now. The developers are in the channel urbit-meta.

It's available for all Unix and Unix-like systems.
>>
>>58183329
I've never been able to figure out what the fuck this thing is, or why it has it's own oddball languages for its implementation.

Why do we need all this woo-woo shit to accomplish the goals (at least, what I think the goals are) of Urbit? You can run personal servers now. Either on a machine you own or at any one of hundreds of places that will give you a VPS. Or both, according to your needs.

Why reimplement everything with some weird, vaguely-explained architecture?
>>
>>58183370
This is easier. Normies will use it. Your grandma is not going to become a sysadmin.
>>
I really don't understand why they felt the need to create their own stack completely from scratch.
Reading the hoon design document makes this whole thing feel like a long extended joke.
>0 means true and 1 means false, because we do things different and it keeps you on your toes
FUCK YOU
>>
>>58183403
Your grandma is also not going to run a unix-like operating system, either on her own machine or a VPS. She doesn't know what a VPS is. She also won't use anything that she can't buy at the local big-box store or download a windows installer for from the first few links of a google search.

Urbit seems, as best I can tell, to be trying to make something simple that is inherently complex - your entire digital life. This never ends well, no matter how many clever abstractions you use. You can move the complexity around in different ways, but you can't destroy it.
>>
Also I feel obliged to point out that having a website which doesn't display anything at all without JS enabled does not reflect well upon them.
>>
>>58183498
You didn't even open the fucking link. It works on Macs.

>>58183511

idiot
>>
>>58183587
>>You didn't even open the fucking link. It works on Macs.
So? Your grandma is not only not a sysadmin, she doesn't know what an operating system is. You show a normie this and he won't understand all the technobabble. He'll ask "so... how do I get my emails with it?"

>idiot
Good argument.

Also I'm amused how they say stuff like "Can we work together to match faces in photos, without submitting to some panopticon in Mountain View" and "You still use network services. But instead of interacting with the service provider's HTML UI, which phones home using proprietary HTTP APIs..."

And then they put Google Analytics on their site.
>>
>>58183727
They aren't freetards. You're a fucktard cultist who doesn't learn anything from anyone outside your cult.
>>
>>58183370
>Why reimplement everything with some weird, vaguely-explained architecture?

Computers and computer networks come from a different time. So many technical decisions were made due to hardware restrictions.

For example, storing and transmitting information has no limits any longer. But, we're still stuck with a 32 bit address space for the Internet.

Same goes for RAM. If we'd have had GB's of RAM from the beginning, programing languages would have had a completely different family tree. There wouldn't be C and not even something like Java or Python, because they actually only solve problems you inherit from C, like garbage collection. Every language would probably be a functional language like Haskell.

Well... we are in the future now, so it's time to build computers for the future. And that's Urbit. Hopefully when it's finished, there will be Nock chips that can execute Hoon code natively, so we won't need the underbed of Unix, which right now is only some sort of hardware-visualization layer for Urbit, because there's not Nock hardware as of now.
>>
>>58183900
Woah big boy, you sure showed him
>>
this that very libertarian network?
>>
>>58183451
To be fair in shell languages 0 tends to stand for 'no error has occurred' and non-zero has some error code associated with it. It's a common enough pattern.
>>
so its basically a secure container connected to its own p2p network?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.