[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/ - PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 50

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with >>>/g/pcbg

Previous thread >>58168461
>>
Currently struggling to hell and back with a bunch of hand me down parts and a few new bought stuff
Everything was on and running perfectly. I would get 1 long beep and 8 short ones
I took the CMOS battery out for 15 minutes and put it back in. Now I just get beeping that sounds like a ram issue. The ram SHOULD be compatible and it works fine in my older computer. With the ram completely out the continues beeping doesn't change at all
Any ideas?
>>
First for trying to get this answered for like two days

What's the maximum safe package temperature for an i3 6100, since overclocking it disables the core temperature readings?
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sellout/saved/Rxz6hM

Need some feedback on this build, I've never done one before and everything I've found is within my price range (around $900) but I want to make sure it'll be worthwhile, thanks.
>>
>>58181715
Post the component list in question, and maybe a picture
>>
>>58181723
Probably the same 90 degree Celcius cutoff. I'd be more worried about the temperature of the rest of the power regulator components on your motherboard.
>>
>>58181791
I've got a Z170 and decent case airflow, but I'll stick my laser thermometer in there some time once I've got my OC dialed in, thanks
>>
>>58181743
4gb 2rx8 pc3-10600 ram stick should be ddr3
9700DE3/U3S3 ASRock motherboard
GTX 580 GPU
EVGA 600B Bronze Power Source

Yeah I know some of the parts are kinda low end. I'm kinda on a budget pls no bully
Also not very /g/ oriented so sorry if I missed anything big
>>
Building an audio workstation PC. I need suggestions for a fairly quiet case, Motherboard, and RAM.

For a CPU I'll probably go with a 6800k or wait to see if Zen offers something close or with a better price. The system i'm replacing is an 8350 build. So I don't need HDDs, SSDs, or a GPU I've got that stuff left over.

What would /g/ suggest for a Mobo, RAM and quiet case. Also if you have a better choice of CPU let me know. Yes I need at least 6 cores.
>>
>>58181723
Likely the same as an i5 6600K, proabably more data on that. But I'm sure there are lots of people who have posted about the BLCK method on more permanent forums, so check there. As long as you have a decent cooler and keep the voltage down you shouldn't have to worry

>>58181723
Use stock cooler
Either stock or cryorg will come with paste (as good as arctic silver)
Win8.1 is pretty gay, either go straight 10 or Win7
>>
>>58181715
Strip it down to the bare minimum and see if it posts. Use only one stick of RAM at a time
>>
>>58181854
Zen is looking good for rendering type activities.
Mobo is going to be expensive, and AFAIK you'll need a special PSU for the x99 platform
>>
>>58181737
The i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler that's good enough since you can't overclock it. So I'd say the aftermarket cooler and thermal paste isn't necessary.

Check to see if the Asus 1060 3GB is cheaper than the MSI, I have it and it works great.

Just FYI, if you have a microcenter near you, if you buy the mobo and cpu at the same time you immediately get $30 off, plus mail in rebates or whatever
>>
First for never being able to buy a cheap ultrawide 32" monitor that is not shit.
Not like there's even any.
>>
is there anything wrong with just having a 4TB hard drive as my primary drive?
(as opposed to say, a 1TB primary and then a 4TB secondary.)
>>
>>58181923
Ok I'll keep that in mind, we finally have a workload requiring the replacement of our old system which will become a back up. Price isn't a big deal it's a PC for the studio so we are all pitchng in on it. We just went with an 8350 years ago as it was cheap and had cores. Wish we went intel to begin with but poor college kids at the time.
>>
I'm think of buying a 470 or 480. Will 4GB vram be enough for the next 3-4 years?
>>
>>58182012
Probably? depends on what games you're into. I'd say check out the higher vram variants I think theres a 480 8gb if im not mistaken (though im not sure what that costs). or check out the new Nvidia cards like the 1060 and 1070.
>>
>>58181891
Tried it and still the same beeping
I only have a single stick of ram
I accidentally put it in sideways and it didn't beep for some reason. Probsbly not significant?
>>
>>58182012
It really depends if you want to play AAA games or not. I should be enough for indie games and esports at 1080p.
>>
>>58181590
I want to upgrade my current setup.
I want to buy a new CPU as a good foundation to build upon.
Right now, i am running a FX-8350 and this thing is basically garbage for gaming.
I want to buy an i5-6600 ( not the k, because cheaper and less power consumption).
Is that a good choice ?

Obviously i would also buy a new mobo (h170chipset)
And 16 gib of DDR4-2133 DIMMs.

After that i plan to upgrade my R9 380 to an RX 480 8GB or Vega depending on the situation.

Does that sound like a good plan ?
>>
>>58181959
If it crashes it could all be lost. That'd be the main issue for most users. why not use a small SSD for the OS and store everything on the HDD?
>>
5820k for £200 good deal?
>>
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/michaellad/saved/9fFZLk

Need some opinions on this. Looking to make it cheaper if possible and get the best value for my money, but this is my first build (only had laptops).

I live in Canada and I'm aiming for $1200 but I'm willing to spend $1800 (with tax) if it makes the computer better. Using it mainly for vidya like fallout 4, league and overwatch
>>
>>58182088
Also wondering if I should get 1 500gb ssd or 1 250gb ssd and 1 tb hd (I plan on just keeping the OS there and some daily usage programs; games on hd)
>>
>>58182050
Personally I'd keep the 8350 for a while, possibly even upgrade they gfx card first. The 8350 isn't great for gaming (bet it sucks in Dishonored 2), but it's not that bad. Let the CPU market settle down after Zen is released. You might want to buy an i7 if prices go down
>>
>>58182079
ya that's about $100 usd cheaper I think. on neweggs its $350 ish and £200 is roughly $250 usd so ya solid deal.
>>
>>58182063
That might be what I end up doing in practice. Even then if the HDD crashed nearly everything would be lost (well, it'd be disparate over various external drives and laptops and annoying to bring together, which would be more annoying than just an OS re-install)

I guess I'm just curious how reliable 4TB drives are relative to 1TB ones. Bringing things together centrally sounds too good to be true right now.
>>
>>58182110
Get 250+1
500gb is not enough for everything
>>
>>58182088
Sucks

Either drop to the i5 6500 or upgrade to a Z170 mobo. You can't OC without a Z170
Need DDR4 RAM
Monitor is extremely small
240GB SSD for OS + games and programs
HDD for storage

>>58182079
Decent
>>
>>58182132
thanks for the answer.
But i can't wait that long.
>>
>>58182198
Why not?
>>
>>58182211
already sold the FX 8350.
I was looking for a good CPU that is good now and will give performance for the next three years.
I basically decided between the 6600 and the 6300.
Also i am really burnt out on the waiting game.
>>
>>58181737
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vwn7M8
>>
File: file.png (287KB, 1640x640px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
287KB, 1640x640px
I'm looking for a new large capacity internal drive for media storage and to dump several old smaller ones. Is WD black a good choice? I'm mostly looking for reliability rather than speed or price.

Also, what does a drive marked as being for NAS indicate as opposed to any other internal drive? I don't imagine that they can only be used for network storage. There's also an HGST "NAS" one that's significantly cheaper than this WD.
>>
>>58182147
Ah I couldn't help to much with that I've never owned any larger than 2TB. Personally I run my OS on an SSD and store everything on multiple 2TB. so my system looks like

1 SDD
4 2TB drives
-2 2TB drives as copies of the other two.

should probably use raid but I'm lazy.
>>
>>58182263
i5 6500 + Z170 mobo; you can upgrade to the unlocked Kaby Lake i7.
Alternatively i5 6500 + B150; you can upgrade to the locked i7, which will be highly clocked
Can get the i5 6600, but you might want an aftermarket cooler to make sure that it maintains its boost clocks. With the i5 6500 you can use a stock cooler
>>
>>58182012
My opinion is that you wouldn't use those cards in higher resolution than 1080p, and 4gb is enough for that. If 3.5 was enough last year, then 4 is enough as well.
>>
>>58182088
You have no idea of what you're doing, get a prebuilt before you come back crying that you broke your parts.
>>
>>58182300
I own a Hyper TX3 which is what i used to manage the thermal throttling of the FX-8350.
That should be plenty to manage the 65 Watt 6600.
But thanks for the advice.
>>
>>58182012
At the moment there are like 2 games that are bottlenecked by VRAM on the 3GB 1060. So as long as you don't insist on running everything at max settings(in which case the 480 likely won't be sufficient for that long ANYWAY), 4GB ought to be fine.
>>
>>58182348
What temp did your 8350 throttle at? or how far did you OC it? Mines at stock but never gets over 47C with a 212 EVO.

Curious as I've considered OCing until I can upgrade in the spring.
>>
>>58182273
>>58181737
The i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler that's good enough since you can't overclock it. So I'd say the aftermarket cooler and thermal paste isn't necessary.

Check to see if the Asus 1060 3GB is cheaper than the MSI, I have it and it works great.

Just FYI, if you have a microcenter near you, if you buy the mobo and cpu at the same time you immediately get $30 off, plus mail in rebates or whatever
>>
>>58182417
i always used it at stock, but the temps were consistently at about 50 degrees with the TX3.
It throttled at 65 degrees even with throttling of the mobo completely disabled.

That's one of the reasons why i can't wait to get rid of it.
>>
>>58182471
Really huh that's interesting never got that hot other than trying to stream shit. I'm interested in an upgrade as well.
>>
>>58182088
>>58182088
Take the Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H motherboard (not the B150). Get a Sapphire/XFX 8GB RX480 card.
250GB of storage might not be enough.
>>
>>58182493
I still used the stock cooler then. It was horrible.
THe thing got to 55 degrees in idle and the cooler was loud as fuck.
I measured the temps by pushing it with the CPU-Z stresstests after i saw that games would stop working properly after a while
>>
>>58182283
Purple is designed for that. Black is better, but costs more.
>>
>>58182421
>The i5-6500 comes with a stock cooler that's good enough
True but if you don't mind the few bucks it's highly recommended to get an aftermarket cooler.
The stock cooler might be enough but the CPU can still get fairly hot during summer and that thing sounds like a starting Airbus A380.
It's also never wrong to invest in a cooler since you can reuse it for other builds, most companies will over appropriate mounting kits in case it doesn't fit anymore.
>>
>>58182283
WD Blacks are loud as fuck, runs hot, and will be more expensive than other alternatives that best suits your needs. That 4TB model in particular is probably the worst of all of the WD Blacks because it's dated hardware that barely competes with the likes of the Toshiba X300 4TB that costs almost a $100 less.
If you're looking for reliability and a general media storage, buy a HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB. They're also rated for 24/7 use, but won't make as much noise as that WD Black while delivering near similar performance. You could also buy the Toshiba X300, but it's also loud and hot as the WD Black.
>>
>>58182651
Neat, purple is much cheaper. I won't be writing to it all the time like in surveillance, though. In what way is black better, just speed?
>>
>>58181590
I have a question I haven't really ever come across and answer for.

So I upgraded the RAM in my pre-built PC. I put in 16gb of 2400mhz DDR4 along side the stock 8gb of 2133mhz.
Each type is in a separate channel.
Speccy is showing the speed as 1063mhz.
Am I hurting anything by running in this configuration?
Will the faster memory reduce it's speed to match the slower stuff?
>>
>>58182651
>>58182700
No no no no
Purple is shit unless you're constantly recording different streams of videos on it at the same time. You're overpaying for features you're not ever going to use. It's also prone to head crashes if you turn it on and off constantly. Purples are meant for 24/7 surveillance camera networks, not consumer desktops that run 8-9 hours a day.
>>
>>58182757
Here is my speccy if it matters.
I got a ridiculous deal on the system and I'm planning on transferring all the internals into a different case and replacing the motherboard and CPU. The GPU is fine for now, I guess.
>>
File: Capture1.png (121KB, 990x877px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
121KB, 990x877px
>>58182782
Fuck, forgot it.
>>
>>58182696
Thanks, yeah that was the HGST I was looking at, might grab it on this sale
>>
>>58182772
They have really slow read speeds too. Just looking at the specs makes it pretty obvious that it isn't for standard Desktops. Though, I have a buddy who uses one for his personal cloud storage server.
>>
I have a simple question and I wasn't sure where to put it.

I have 2 graphics cards installed from when I upgraded it. I also have a new monitor that I got yesterday. When I set it up is it better to run the second monitor from the same card or from separate cards?

Secondly I haven't had a second monitor before. Is it possible to have the monitors display separate virtual desktops in windows 10?

Thanks.
>>
>>58182799
speccy is showing it at half speed because of a quirk in how DDR RAM works. It's fully functional, no worries.
>>
>>58182839
Unless you have an SLI setup or something, you would want them on the same card. Graphical applications can only utilize one card at a time.
If you have multiple monitors connected to different cards, if you were to drag something from one screen to another, you would be using 2 separate pieces of hardware to perform the same task. It just doesn't work like that.
You can use one as an SLI card if they are both NVIDIA, other wise, there isn't a benefit I can think of.
>>
>>58182848
>double data rate
Yup.
>>
Hey guys I am at a bit of a crossroads here, so I posted in another thread on /v/ on if i should upgrade my Rig or not, ill post my specs in the screen shot. What the guys on /v/ recommended is that I just buy a good 1920x1080 monitor and leave it at that... but I was wanting to get a monitor that can handle 2K plus... so I am open to the idea of upgrading my system; however, it seems like I cannot find a good mother board that actually supports my CPU, would i have to bite the bullet and spend ober 1000 dollars plus to upgrade my PC? or should i just get a new monitor and leave it at that?
>>
>>58182848
I just want to make sure I'm getting the benefit of having the faster memory. If not, I'll just take the 2133mhz out. I've just never messed with different clock speeds before.
>>
https://seasonic.com/product/prime-750-w-titanium/
I'm really tempted to fall for this Titanium meme.
>>
>>58182898
The i7 is fine for literally any game on the market. Higher definitions are still early adopter memes with high costs and teething issues. Get another 1080p monitor or two and put them in Eyefinity if you want more screen.
>>
>>58182906
You are, DDR is double data rate. 2133MHz is the data rate, half of that is the clock speed, which is what Speccy shows
>>
>>58182898
Just from looking at it, your system looks very dated. You might be out of luck as far as your CPU because it's 5 years old and old motherboards aren't something that's typically kept on hand by many retailers.

It all kind of depends on what you want to upgrade first. You can get a solid motherboard for around $100. DDR4 will run about $50-100 depending on amount and speed. I'd recommend an i5 6600k.
Your GPU is about as powerful as a current gen GTX 1060, so it is okay for basic gaming and other uses. It can handle 2k.
I'm assuming your motherboard is ATX (some pre-builts are a weird format meant to fit in their cases) so you can keep your case, PSU, and cooling system (I think the cooling systems are interchangable, I could be wrong).
>>
>>58182974
But I have 2133mhz AND 2400mhz in my system.
>>
>>58182772
I have no issues with my purple, also it's cheap as fuck, what extra am I paying for?
>>
>>58182880
The older card is used to calculate physics objects in game. It makes the new card perform better. That's why I just left my old nvidia card in.
>>
>>58183001
it will run at the lowest speed of all RAM
>>
>>58181854
Lots of ram
You don't need at least 6 cores
>>
File: GAME_BANNER_060216-01.jpg (201KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
GAME_BANNER_060216-01.jpg
201KB, 600x320px
>>58182979
I have been looking into getting the i5 6600k after looking through the links on the OP, the only issue I have with it is that I am paying $320 (Yay Canada) for the same perfromance as my current CPU, unless I am wrong?

I will be generally playing games like Battle field 1 (which I can run at 60 FPS + on 1680x1050) DOOM and maybe GTA 5.

>>58182964
What monitor would you recommend? also should i bother worrying about the response time being 1ms? or is that just a meme?
>>
>>58182263
Get a 6500, better deal than 6600 and basically just as powerful
>>
>>58182880
Ok, so with the virtual desktops in windows 10, can you set it up so monitor 1 is showing desktop 1 and monitor 2 is showing desktop 2?
>>
>>58182839
You do if you're using sli
>>
File: image.jpg (276KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276KB, 1280x720px
>>58183035
Oh yeah physx cards always are a good idea and give you real world advantages
>>
>>58182934
Gold is efficient enough. Titanium is if you're really concerned about creating some heat and getting the most voltages out of your shit. But they also tend to have a lot less failures and more often than not, they are fully modular.
>>
>6 HDDs, plan on expanding to a minimum of 10 with room for future expansion
>Seedbox / Plex server basically
>Want easy HDD removal
Not sure what I should get. I assume I could get away with something passively cooled. Not sure how it will work because everything I have is linked up to Plex so I can watch stuff whenever I want. So I'm guessing I'll need a decent CPU unless there is a way to have my main desktop do all processing power.

I have no problem suspending HDDs like they currently are in my main desktop (only has slots for 4 and there is 7 drives in there now)
>>
>>58183035
Okay, so you have it setup as a PhysX card.
Just a heads up, not all that many games support PhysX and it's gotten to the point where a modern card can handle it without issue, even under load. Keep in mind the base tech for PhysX is a decade old and they really haven't messed with it much.

If you are fine with the extra power consumption, keep it in, but only plug your monitors into the same card.

>>58183101
Modern CPUs have better architecture. It's the same speed, but not really the same performance. Plus, you can overclock the shit out of it. You will still see some better performance from the DDR4.

>>58183086
This. Barely any programs make use of 6 cores, it's kind of a meme for every day users.
Audio production isn't that demanding on processors but can use large amounts of memory.
>>
>>58183179
>not all that many games support PhysX and it's gotten to the point where a modern card can handle it without issue, even under load
Ok, I knew physx existed from the control panel and set it up. I didn't know what I was going to do with the older card anyway so it's not like I bought a card just for that.
>>
This is my current piece of crap. Is there anything I can do to improve it? I really want to replace it, but that just isn't in the cards for me right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yZyQVY
>>
>>58183123
No. Because the virtual machine is being run on your desktop, which utilizes the primary GPU. There may be some kind of work around to doing it, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't virtual machines only use specified amounts of resources anyway>
>>58183148
I still have my old BFG dedicated 128mb PhysX card from like 2008. It was cash as fuck playing Borderlands with it.
>>
>>58183217
How much are you willing to spend?
>>
>>58183179
Should I get a 6500 instead of the 6600k? based on this guys post?
>>58183106
since it is a little cheaper?
>>
>>58183173
>planning on six to 10+ drives
>passively cooled
yeah that's a terrible idea, you should be looking into a proper case with adequate airflow.
>>
File: Speccy scrn.png (64KB, 672x531px) Image search: [Google]
Speccy scrn.png
64KB, 672x531px
rate
>>
>>58183179
>Modern CPUs have better architecture. It's the same speed, but not really the same performance. Plus, you can overclock the shit out of it. You will still see some better performance from the DDR4.
It kind of is the same performance, since 2600 has hyperthreading. Of course, 6600k will be better in single-threaded tasks, but even then not by a huge amount.
>>
>>58183237
If you aren't going to overclock it, yes. No reason otherwise desu.

>>58183242
That was supposed to be in reference to the cpu I would need, not totally fanless. My bad
>>
>>58183217
>6 core AMD processor
>Dogshit barebones CPU cooler
Do you want a housefire? That's how you get housefires.
You could overclock your CPU to squeeze a bit more life out of it. But get a better fucking CPU cooler.
You could also upgrade to a modern mid-range GPU to get a bit more performance. I'd suggest like a 1060 or something.
>>
which Rx 480 after market cooler should I get?
>>
>>58182531
>>58182335
>>58182195
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/michaellad/saved/9fFZLk

here is what i've changed, what do you guys think? I'm ok having a small monitor
>>
File: windows10multidesktop.png (387KB, 1918x154px) Image search: [Google]
windows10multidesktop.png
387KB, 1918x154px
>>58183222
>Don't virtual machines only use specified amounts of resources anyway
Uh, I think your over estimating me here. I'm talking about the windows 10 feature that lets you organize apps into different desktops you can switch between. So I could have research articles in a browser on D1, but if I opened the same browser on D2 it would only show the new tab in the task bar and in the window.

So if I had two monitors I would like to have 1 screen have a different set of items in the task bar than the other side to help keep things organized.
>>
>>58183235
I don't want to spend a whole lot, as I figure the best course of action would be to save up and replace it entirely. I was just trying to see if there was any value in keeping it.
>>
>>58183237
Eh, keep it at stock speeds and overclock it later on to extend the life on it. It's worth the extra in the end.

>>58183258
If you bought it like 2 years ago (or whenever 970s were modern), then it's a decent build and not spectacular in any way.
>>
Building an ITX system, what's the best socket 1151 cooler with height <= 48mm?
>>
>>58183317
Oh. For some reason I thought you meant something else. No, you can't use multiple GPUs for that.
Multiple Desktops is pretty much just a more organized way of minimizing stuff. That would be fucking cool if you could do it like that, though.
>>
>>58183293
Better but still not right there.
Get 3000 RAM, G2 instead the NEX and imho a different case, there are options with better price/performance.
>I'm ok having a small monitor
You could buy a used 24" monitor, there's nothing wrong with that. Some used Asus or Benq 24" should be around 100-140 CAD i guess.
>>
>>58183320
october 2015, yeah. thanks
>>
>>58183319
Probably upgrade the GPU or get an SSD. Could also get a 83xx CPU in your current socket, but at that point you should just look into saving enough money to get an entirely new system.
>>
I have an i7 6700 (non K). Is there any way at all to overclock it safely?
I know that I'll be fine with the current speeds, but just in case I decide I want that later on.
>>
What's /pcbg/'s favorite compact case? I'd like to downsize my build from a Define R5 to something smaller.
>>
File: 1448587705717.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1448587705717.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>58183286
>>
>>58183402
>(non K)
Nope
>>
>>58183320
alright well, looks like ill bite the bullet and upgrade my system too, although i might keep my GPU the same since it should be fine for most games at 2k res right?

Any good monitors that you guys recommend?

This is the one I have currently
>>
>>58183531
It is possible with a Z170 motherboard, just not through the multiplier and through regular blck overclocking instead
>>
>>58183568
That's what I've read. But I've also seen that Intel has forced all the manufacturers to disable that in Bios updates.
It's also supposed to be finnicky, which is why I asked for a safe way.
>>
I need help guys. The problem is that the GPU will not fit into the PCI-E x16 slot when the mobo is installed into the case. The side of the GPU towards the back of the case is slightly elevated and not fitted into the slot. When I installed the GPU outside of the case, however, the GPU fit just fine. My personal hypothesis is that the GPU width is too wide, but I can't find any info for the GPU width clearance for my case anywhere. Also, on PC part builder there were no compatibility issues, so I don't know what's going on.

've tried Google of course, and people with the same problem as me seem to have just not used enough force. Unfortunately, no matter how much force I apply, the GPU will not budge.

Here are the pics of the problem: http://imgur.com/a/PQkJU

Please help, I don't know what to do ;_;
>>
in canada, trying to build a pc for general use, university and gayman mostly, without really knowing much, so a lot of these are recos from friends
budget is about 1200 bux, this is my current partlist
>GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce 1771MHZ 8GB GDDR5 256-BIT PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card
>ASUS Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SLI Support CrossFireX USB3.1 Motherboard
>INTEL® CORE™ I5-6600K 3.50GHZ 6M Cache FC-LGA14C LGA1151 Processor Retail Package Skylake
>Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink w/ Red LED AM2 AM3/1150/1155/1156/2011
>Bitfenix Comrade Black Window ATX Mid Tower Case 3X5.25 7X3.25 1X2.5 *No PS* Top 2XUSB3.0 Audio
>EVGA 600B 80 Plus Bronze Certified 600W Power Supply 120MM FAN 3 YEARS WARRANTY
>Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/S 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive OEM
i feel as if i'm missing some things but i cant think of what
>>
>>58183649
cut that shit out lmao
>>
>>58183024
WD Purple is optimized for multi-stream recording (i.e using several 720p cameras at once and saving to the same drive). Its firmware uses its cache in a different way to prioritize parallel writes over any single track, so if you try to use it like a normal drive, the cache is usually bypassed and has to read directly from the disk. This makes access times slower for Purple drives over Blue, Black, and even Red drives.
>>
>>58183687
Cut what out?
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (24KB, 488x426px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
24KB, 488x426px
Going to upgrade to be VR ready (and generally improve game performance, had my card for 3 years now) as I'm hoping to get VR next year or the year after, getting GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. Any opinions on my rig? I don't really want to get 1080 but is it REALLY worth it?
>>
>>58183692
The part of the case that's obstructing your GPU
>>
>>58181935
Your options are 29" or 34", used the 29" are down to 200

>>58182283
Reliability: HGST all the way

>>58182416
I don't know of any games. Yeah you can't use hyper settings on Mirror's Edge Catalyst, but you can't with a 4GB card either. And the 480 isn't powerful enough to run ME:C on hyper anyway

>>58182471
That's some BS, it shouldn't throttle that quickly. 80+C is fine at max
>>
>>58183657
u gunna need some DDR4 RAM with that, bruh.

Also, do you have a keyboard, monitor, and a mouse?
>>
>>58183703
No a 1080 isn't worth it
Don't forget a much better monitor for you new 1070
>>
>>58183724
shit, of course i forgot ram
yeah i have the rest of the peripherals
does that look like a workable system? am i fucking myself over on any parts where i could do it cheaper?
>>
>>58183715
Not only is that part basically bolted onto the case, it's metal. How am I supposed to get rid of that?
>>
File: kampinis_slifuoklis[1].jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
kampinis_slifuoklis[1].jpg
39KB, 600x450px
>>58183763
>>
>>58183763
Dremel with diamond bit.
>>
>>58183794
>>58183798
Uh, I don't have those things
>>
>>58183728
Which one? And for what reason? My current one limits the 1070? Anything else I should upgrade?
>>
>>58183814
Go to Walmart, but a cheap grinder for like 40 bucks. Take it home, do what you need to do. Take it back and say it doesn't work. Bam.
>>
>>58183756
looks perfectly fine to me, desu.

You planning you planning on overclocking?

Gaming? Video editing? Just shitposting? Hoarding porn?
>>
Can anyone recommend a cooler for 4.0-4.4ghz OC on this? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fpbh2R
>>
>>58183865
playing vidya(overwatch, squad, doom etc), shitposting, and various forms of schoolwork for uni
>>
>>58183838
and now my GPU will be loose because I can't secure it. I think it will be less effort to just buy a different GPU...
>>
So I'm currently running an old fx-8350, Oc'ed to 4.7 ghz,
I'm upgrading the graphics card and I've heard it will hit a bottleneck on a gtx 1060, I was wondering if that is true, or would I be able to see any improvements going up to a 1070,1080 or 1080ti(when it comes out)?
>>
>>58183888
It will be less effort to just buy a different case. Cases are like 30 dollars.
>>58183875
Pick any 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler and call it a day.
>>
File: 1405312275366.jpg (76KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1405312275366.jpg
76KB, 1191x670px
>>58183551
So far this is what I have found that I am interested in buying:

***Buying***

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561&_ga=1.176541741.941971379.1478237180

Mother Board: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132567&_ga=1.176541741.941971379.1478237180

RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231886&_ga=1.176541741.941971379.1478237180

CPU Cooling I am currently unclear of wither or not I should get a normal heatsink plus fan, or a liquid cooled heatsink,

Monitor I am still unclear on what I should get too.

***currently owned and not replacing***

Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD2WX0378&_ga=1.176541741.941971379.1478237180

GPU: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4839#ov

PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7BB2NC4183&cm_re=Antec_High_Current_Gamer_Series_HCG-900_900W_ATX12V_v2.3_%2f_EPS12V_v2.91_SLI_Certified_CrossFire_Certified_80_PLUS_BRONZE_Certified_Active_PFC_Power_Supply_-_Intel_Haswell_Fully_Compatible-_-17-371-050-_-Product

Any ideas if i need improvement?
>>
>>58183879
>>58183865
and no, no real plans to overclock until that becomes necessary
>>
>>58183942
Dude, just build it on PC part picker and send us the link. Nobody wants to go to a dozen websites.
>>
>>58183879
you should be set, then. That set-up will last you at least 5-10 years, if not 15-20 unless games get super intense and pc parts get real cheap.

I'm going on strong with an AMD FX 6200 and a Raedon HD 7680 from almost 7 years ago. Works perfectly fine at 1080p, 60hz.

I bought a GTX 1080 and a 1444p 144hz monitor recently (christmas present to self), which set me back about $1300, but I'm still wanting to get an I5-6600K and an ASUS Z170 mobo
>>
>>58183875
212 EVO or H7 will be fine, if you want more you'll need to pay more and maybe live with a 2kg brick metal brick in your PC.
>>
>>58183942
As the other anon said, use pcpartpicker. You can even mark items as purchased.
>>
>>58183942
http://pcpartpicker.com/
That shit exists for a reason you filthy savage.
>>
>>58183830
I'm reall happy with my 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor, $500 refurbished PG278Q
My 1070 gets 60fps minimum and 144fps often, and g sync makes those "in between" times just fine
It just hertz to see that my 1070 could be getting 200fps when you're stuck at 1080p/60hz
>>
>>58183975
excellent, thats what i'm shooting for
>>
any case recommendations for one that's roomy and easy to build in? i'd prefer not to have a window but other than that i don't care about aesthetics.

last case was a fractal design node and that was a nightmare to get everything in properly.
>>
>>58183919
Depends on your res. At 1080p your 8350 will bottleneck a 1070. At 1440p it's fine with a 1070. CPU requirements don't increase with resolution

>>58183875
Hyper 212 EVO or cryorg H7
>>
>>58184049
you look at thermaltakes?
>>
>>58183975
I think it's funny that 6 year old CPUs can run games on Max as long as the GPU can handle it.
>>
>>58184049
Bench case
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 465x797px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 465x797px
I grew up with the habit of buying disposable $30 printers every time you need to print instead of ink cartridges
I print maybe a page a month, slightly more depending on school, ink printers dry up and get uncalibrated by the time I print a second time, is it worth getting a laser printer in my case? I need color too, would that make laser printing much more expensive than ink?
Will a laser printer last over a year without printing? How long do the "starter toner cartridges" that come with the laser printer last?
Basically I'm a normie idiot, is a cheap laser printer right for me?
>>
>>58184069
bottlenecks also depend on the application.

If you're running a game that's GPU intensive, you'll be fine, but if you have a game like City Skylines, you'll be bottlenecked af
>>
File: large_70a8a902176472cc.png (906KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
large_70a8a902176472cc.png
906KB, 900x900px
So I actually bought this. How much of a faggot am I? Aside from the Meme paint job, it seems like a pretty decent case for what I want to use it for.
>>
>>58184069
Depending on your framerate, CPU usage can actually go down with resolution going up
>>
>>58184120
Your computer looks like an early 2000's metal band t shirt
>>
>>58184088
CPUs are stagnant m8

>>58184099
Not really, that's the point of upping the res. As I said, CPU requirements don't increase with res.

Some games are going to suck with an 8350 no matter what, but his OC will help to negate that

>>58184129
Correct, a GPU limited situation
>>
3 year old Pre built but here you go, upgrading in the new yea
G
i7 4770
12 GB DDR3
1TB 7200RPM HDD
Nvidea Geforce GT 635
440w PSU

upgrading case and GPU
>>
>>58184088
I've literally never had a problem with BF3, CS:GO or LoL running on ultra settings.

I tried playing Dead Space 2, and the controls were laggy and felt bulky. After upgrade to GTX1080 with 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor, that lag disappeared.
>>
File: botw.gif (3MB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
botw.gif
3MB, 420x300px
>>58184120
With the paint job 5/10
Without the paint job/logo 9/10
>>
>>58184069
got it, so if I use more of the GPU power than the CPU I'll be fine?

>>58184099
What if I'm rendering 3d? like in blender or maya?
>>
>>58184143
>CPUs are stagnant m8
I haven't really been into computers for a few years now. My current build is my first since 2012. How true is this? Have they reached an architectural limit or something?
How long is this expected to go on?
>>
>>58184167
In my opinion, you should go Intel chipset if you're rendering 3D
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 1137x640px
I just realized that my gpu's overclock point of artifacting is only applicable on a game where it's trying to push 300fps
Capped at 144fps, I can't find a single artifact anywhere in any game or benchmark
Does that mean I should overclock my GPU more? Im worried because my 1070 is already at 2.1GHz (which shouldve been pretty high) and I can't find any errors or artifacts, which it sounds like there should be some at 2.1GHz and stock voltage right?
I bought a $380 1070, it's hard to believe I just won the silicon lottery, do you think something is wrong?
>>
>>58184185
For Blender, it doesn't really matter.
Maya is optimized for Intel multi-core processors.
Because Maya is used by pros and pros don't use fucking AMD.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161226-173616.png (600KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161226-173616.png
600KB, 1440x2560px
Hey guys wondering if this is a good deal for a 1080 or wait for 1080ti

Problem is I can't find a single review on this model even though it's a windforce

https://newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814125936
>>
File: GEDC0007.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
GEDC0007.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>>58184120
Looks pretty neat if you ask me. But the real question is: do you like it? If so, fuck what other people think.

>t. fagbox owner
>>
>>58184198
Dude, if you are at 144fps, why the fuck do you need to overclock anymore? It's just putting extra stress on your components.
>>
>>58184177
For Intel it's been true since ivy bridge, or even arguably since sandy bridge
AMD keeps getting better each year but at this point they haven't caught up to Intel at all in thread vs thread performance
AMD has been making affordable multicore monsters, rivaling xeons, but those are really only useful for extremely well multithreaded programs, rendering and editing software and such
>>
>>58184207
Exactly why I recommended Intel
>>
File: i haz question.jpg (22KB, 200x146px) Image search: [Google]
i haz question.jpg
22KB, 200x146px
Is Zen going to be worth it?
>>
>>58184234
Maybe
>>
>>58184212
That is a good deal but it's still $200 more than an equivalent brand 1070, which is a completely normal pricing
>>
>>58184221
I like it a lot. It was more a question about the case.

I fucked up and bought a Corsair H60, thinking I would put it in my current case. I hope it will be adequate overclocking a 6700k.
>>
>>58184185
That's the plan, I'm getting a 2011 v3 board in the near future, but I got this setup years ago so I'm stuck with it for now.

the card will probably come along to the new rig.

>>58184207
calm your tits, they did 3 years ago when I got this rig. and blender is beast-mode on linux.
>>
>>58184234
yes, but not as worth it as some may think.
it'll be better than casual but weaker than pro.
>>
>>58184231
Yeah, I was just explaining a little more.
>>
>>58184225
Only one game is trying to pull 300 fps
Most of my other games do about 90fps, which is why I might as well get the most I can, if the limit is higher than what I thought it was
I've just been expecting a low limit from the start, online people say that a 1070 at even 2Ghz can start showing errors for them, I'm confused that my cheap budget brand 1070 is doing much better? I'm worried that something is wrong, maybe it's not overclocking right?
>>
>>58184247
I've not used it personally but that's what... a painted H440? They have a pretty good rep if I recall
>>
how do i force AA when the NCP won't do it?
>>
>>58184177
And it will likely go on until non-silicon CPUs happen or until developers start acknowledging that moar cores is the last way to squeeze performance out of silicon
>>
>>58184296
Yeah. It's a limited edition H440. I really liked the look and splurged.
>>
File: 1403996838284.png (93KB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
1403996838284.png
93KB, 500x208px
>>58183942
>>58183960
>>58183993
>>58184000
woops sorry didnt realize this site was a thing,
Still not sure what type of CPU cooler or monitor to get:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vfdDnn
>>
>>58184299
Use the NCP to set "global settings" instead of program specific settings
>>
1080 vs titan XP?
>>
>>58184333
More like 1080ti=TitanXP
>>
>>58184302
Isn't that the route that GPUs have bascially already taken? More cores, faster speed through improved heat management?
>>
File: Acer Aspire AM3970G-UW10P.jpg (20KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Acer Aspire AM3970G-UW10P.jpg
20KB, 450x450px
>>58181590
So assuming I have pic related as well as this PSU already available to me:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

How little could I get away with spending to be able to play some newer games on at least High at 1920x1080? Would be great if I could just order a new case and graphics card and call it a day...I know I won't be that lucky though.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (18KB, 439x268px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
18KB, 439x268px
>>58184447
>>
>>58184346
will we finally get double digit GB memory anon?
I need my 8k rendering!
>>
>>58184437
That's because gpus are designed to effectively use thousands of cores, all performing weak trivial graphical calculations without relaying data to each other, it's why very interactive programs with many possible outcomes (like games) are hard to code efficiently for multicore CPUs
>>
>>58184477
It's supposed to be 12GB like the Titan I believe
If it isn't, nobody will give a shit because games don't need that much and professionals (who don't need ECC) would get a TitanXP anyways
>>
Might be a retarded question but I'm going to ask anyway:

Would an aftermarket CPU cooler run noticeably cooler and quieter compared to a stock intel cooler? I'm planning on using an Intel i5 6500 and not overclocking or anything
>>
>>58184563
Yes
>>
>>58184563
Cooler, yes. Quieter? Depends on the brand and the model
>>
>>58184563
Yes, but its seen as unnecessary if you're not overclocking. The stock cooler's work fine at the temperatures you will get without overclocking.
>>
>>58184447
>>58184471
300$
if you wanna play bout 30fps.

>>58184501
true, but it'd still be awesome!
I feel like the titans were over hyped for too long.
>>
>>58184586
Unless you're running a dual fan heatsink with everything at 3000rpm I guarantee anything will be quieter than a stock Intel cooler
>>
>>58184595
The old Titans were, but the Titan XP is really an amazing card for being both good for gay men and having the power and (enough) vram to match a top spec quadro in OpenGL
>>
>>58184576
>>58184586
>>58184592
>>58184606
Well I have the cooler master hyper 212 evo sitting in my basket. Good buy?
>>
>>58184592
My prebuilt has a stock cooler and non-k 6700. It runs perfectly fine.
>>
>>58184638
Yeah, that's what I would recommend if you really don't want the Intel heatsink
Cheap and it works, plus if noise is still a problem for you for some reason you can get a quieter fan and slap it on instead
>>
>>58184629
on that, I'll agree
>>
>>58184317
Bump
>>
>>58184668
Thanks anon
>>
Anyone here who has a fractal design r5? How good is the noise dampening?
>>
>>58184317
First, get 3000 RAM.
>Still not sure what type of CPU cooler or monitor to get
CPU cooler depends on budget and what OC you want. Usually 212 Evo or H7 are fine for most users.
Monitor.. whatever fits your purpose, most 1080p monitors are fine.
>WD Green
Lol.
>900W
For what fucking purpose?
>>
>>58182652
Completely agree. Just saying he can "skimp" on the cooler for now and maybe get a better graphics card or whatever and buy the cooler later
>>
I'm waiting for Zen, assuming it won't be complete garbage, because I want to support market competition and my current PC is an old Phenom II x4 which has done me well. Does AMD have any GPUs that are going to release at the same time (i.e. RX485/580) or am I going to get fucked with the only real option being Nvidia in the $400-500 range?
>>
>>58184939
>485/580
It's 490
>>
>>58184825
>900W
To elaborate on that, components these days are so low power optimized that you can run an overclocked dual GPU computer with a 750w PSU and have zero problems. Hell, you could even do 600w in most cases.
This isn't 2010 when GPUs are squeezing all the performance they can get out of like 200w cards.
>>
>>58184825
That PSU isn't even fucking modular.
>>
>>58184595
>300$
>if you wanna play bout 30fps.
Well, that's unfortunate...but not very surprising.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 852x854px
>>58184955
>tfw 2016 GPU has 200W tdp
>>
>>58183531
You're a faggot
>Posted from my overclocked i3 6100
>>
>>58184955

750w will power a goddamn 9590 and fury x - there is no other setup until you hit multiple cpu or gpu dies that will demand more juice.

>>58184988

You'd be surprised anon.
>>
File: cucks.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
cucks.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>buying tlc ssd
>>
>>58184825
alright I have updated the list with the CPU cooler.

The monitor I would like to at least go to 2k, unless that doesnt make much of a difference.

>WD Green
>Lol.
What can I say? its what came with my PC many years ago, still works for me!

>900W
For what fucking purpose?
>>58184970

I got this because it was on sale for a very good price, and I wanted power to spare, its only bronze standard so in reality i am only getting 720W out of it.
>>
>>58184981
He's bullshiting you. A $200 GPU would push most modern games at high or max at 1080p30. A $3-400 one should push them to 60. Just look for a good sale.

Also depends the type of games. Overwatch and DOTA will run at 1080p60 on a potato. GTA5 is pretty demanding.
>>
>>58185046
of course i forgot to link it
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xhGqNN
>>
Anyone want to critique my build?
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wtx62R
>>
File: image.png (205KB, 3340x3176px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
205KB, 3340x3176px
>>58185046
>in reality I am only getting 720W out of it
>>
>>58185062
>Phenom II
>Year of our Lord 2016
You can't be fucking serious. You're not planning on BUYING a decade old processors right?
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 959x721px
>>58185046
Let me guess, your "very good price" was $60-80?
>>
my fucking monitor is 10 years old and doesn't want to die
>>
>>58185111
$100 because lol canadians, and this was before I realized that buying parts online was the much better option... got swindled at the Local PC store.
>>
>>58185132
>Wahh my technology isn't failing
Is this a thing now? Shit isn't supposed to fall apart in a decade.
>>
>>58185132
>2016
>not gaming on 19" 1280x1024 75hz screen from 2004
weak
>>
>>58185151
its been on for 10 years almost non stop, I'm quite impressed for something I bought second hand.
>>
File: 1470442104158.gif (544KB, 303x357px) Image search: [Google]
1470442104158.gif
544KB, 303x357px
>>58185169
>>
>new PC build
>boot into windows 7
>ERROR INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
>debian still works (dual boot)
>ubuntu live works
>whatever I'll just reinstall from USB
>can't get past the first step
>"missing CD/DVD drivers"
JUST
>>
File: untitled.jpg (49KB, 675x532px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
49KB, 675x532px
rate my gayming pc
>>
>>58185204
>he bought skylelkek
>>
>>58185169
>Implying superior resolutions to 1680x1050 exist
>>
>>58184152
470/480/1060 unless you're getting a new monitor as well

>>58184167
>got it, so if I use more of the GPU power than the CPU I'll be fine?
Yes but if you're spending nearly a grand on 1440p then you'd probably want an i5 to solidify your sunk cash. 8350 is fine with a 1070 at 1440p but not recommended.

>>58184177
AMD catching up to Intel might spur some short term performance increases, but then they will be stagnant again.. Intel is abandoning the x86 market

>>58184317
Get 3000MHz DDR4

>>58184471
You buy a used 3xxx (Haswell) i5 or i7, provided the mobo bios supports Haswell
Then get a 470/480/1060
300-350USD for 60FPS on High for most games

>>58184563
Slightly. Not worth it

>>58184939
Vega will be out soon
>>
>>58185232
that's my 10 year old monitor's resolution btw
>>
File: 1363324385455.jpg (81KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1363324385455.jpg
81KB, 500x375px
>>58185046
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hhTJBP

>>58185238

Updated list with DDR4 3000 Ram and a possible monitor choice, although its a tad expensive....
>>
>>58185248
You will definitely see a difference in 2400MHz and 3000MHz for your RAM.
>>
File: 1348461668001.png (379KB, 471x406px) Image search: [Google]
1348461668001.png
379KB, 471x406px
I have a 1tb hard drive with lots of stuff on it. I just bought a 256gb SSD to be a boot drive.

Can I just pick which one is the boot drive in the startup BIOS menu thing? Or do I have to do some memery to reinstall everything?
>>
>>58185062
Nigga my TI Nspire is faster than this shitposting toaster.
>>
>>58185303
go into bios, choose ssd as nr 1 in boot priority.
that is if you have already system on it.
>>
>>58185327
>TI Nspire
Mein negger.
>>
>>58185062
Is this a joke? At least it has 4 threads.. But

>>58185046
You're getting however much your components draw, but it will output 900W. It can draw 900/.8 from the wall.

>>58185248
Go with the cheapest 3000MHz
Nice monitor, but your 780Ti is a little weak for modern AAA games

>>58185303
Can migrate the OS, otherwise just unplug your HDD to force the OS to see the SSD
>>
>>58185169
>2017-1
>not playing 1.6 on a 17" CRT with a dot painted on the center
It's like he wants to lose.
>>
Rate my gaming computer build

CPU: Intel 8086
Motherboard: Breadboard
PSU: Two C batteries
GPU: 2x Intel 8086 crossfired
RAM: 12kb wire core memory
HDD: Abacus

(Still faster than the British guy's Phenom system)
>>
>>58185368

/g/ out of 10

>(Still faster than the British guy's Phenom system)

No.
>>
>>58185248
>212X
No. Get the Evo.
>1440p @144Hz
>GTX 780Ti
Lol that's not going to happen.
>>
File: s164245916.jpg (25KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
s164245916.jpg
25KB, 150x150px
>>58185345
>tfw playing pokemon red on TI Nspire first gen masterrace
Fells gud.
>>
File: titanfall 2 1080p.png (181KB, 548x629px) Image search: [Google]
titanfall 2 1080p.png
181KB, 548x629px
>>58185382

Kepler has died like a bitch.
>>
>>58185355
ah ok so I found this one which was the cheapest on new egg, would this be a decent one?
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156132 (I would have to buy two of course).

>>58185382
based on this anons post, a 780 ti should be fine for 2k?
if not then should i just get a decent 1080p monitor or go all the way and get a new GPU as well?
>>
>>58185443
forgot to link post
>>58182979
>>
>>58185443
>based on this anons post, a 780 ti should be fine for 2k?
Depends on the games. Don't expect to comfortably run any AAA titles. Either get a new GPU if you can afford it now, or get a used 22/24" for now and upgrade both monitor and GPU when you can.
>>
File: specky.png (152KB, 804x656px) Image search: [Google]
specky.png
152KB, 804x656px
Rate my 10 year old gaming rig / workstation

2017 will be its last year of frontline service it will become a server and secondary backup. I built it 7 years ago and all I've done is upgrade the gpu every couple of years. It has an R9 295x and plays DOOM with all the eye candy on in full 1080P HD at about 50fps avg.

I may upgrade the CPUs to dual 3.4's for dat single-core performance. I will miss rekting noobs on this box, she fought valiantly in battle and many feelings were hurt. It also did a lot of my photoshop and lightroom which is what it was originally built for
>>
>>58185501
hmm well I do have the funds to upgrade both at the moment, i just dont want to drop the cash if i have to.
If i were to upgrade my GPU, which one should i get? 1080? or a 1070? or a 980 ti?
Those were the ones that I was thinking of.
>>
>>58185443
Yeah it's fine, there's a 2x 4GB kit there

Personally I would get a cheap used 1080p 23" - 25" (50USD) for your 780Ti. Then buy a new gfx card + monitor at the same time. Some good tech coming out in a year, like HDR
>>
>>58185526
If you have the money then 1080.
>>
>>58185526
>If i were to upgrade my GPU, which one should i get? 1080? or a 1070? or a 980 ti?
It entirely depends on what games you play. If you want to play AAA titles on 1440p @144 and don't want to upgrade any time soon then get the 1080 or 1080Ti in Q1 2017.
Otherwise the 1070 is a very good option, don't get the 980Ti unless you get some extremely good deal.
>>
Is a SATA cable from a mobo I bought 10 years ago functionally the same as a SATA cable I buy today?
>>
I also asked on /sqt/, but is there any big difference performance wise between the H170 and the B150 motherboards if I don't plan on overclocking the CPU?
>>
>>58185538
>>58185574
>>58185588
so would the 1070 handle AAA titles on 1440p @144 or am I asking to much out of the card?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871
>>
>>58185697
lol no
It's all about the features that the chipset enables. You see, the Kikes over at Intel have all sorts of neat little features built into all chipsets, seeing as they're all made from the exact same piece of silicon using a process a generation older than their CPU, but they're artificially cut off in order to create these market segments with their motherboards. An H110, B150, H170, Z170, Q150/170 are all the same exact piece of silicon that are then disabled through Intel's proprietary firmware and then sold at wildly varying prices to the vendors, who then make motherboards with those Jewed silicon. Only the Z170 allows you to toy with the core multipliers on their select K-sku CPUs. H110 only allows one DIMM per channel despite all of the other boards having two per channel. All of the chipsets have DMI 3.0 pathways to the CPU, except for the H110 which only has DMI 2.0
The Jews are behind all of it.
>>
>>58185805

>VT-D
>>
>>58185697
>>58185805
ok, how about a non conspiritard / /pol/ answer?
>>
>>58185632
Yes

>>58185768
1070 + 1440p Gsync 144Hz is great
>>
>>58185854
Fine, if you want a non-fun answer
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/
>>
>>58185854
Exactly what he said except without the word Jew, mostly.

Intel bins their motherboard chipsets. A near perfect die will become a Z170 chip, a buggered one might still be sellable as an H series chip.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C3K8Ps
On a scale of overpriced to meme tier bad where would this rank as a gaming rig?
>>
File: 1459022728730.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459022728730.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>58186057
>no LED RAM or PSU
$5000 worth of autism / 10.
>>
>>58186057
>$7000 gaming monster with liquid cooling
>Bargain bin case
If you're going to blow absurd cash, flaunt it. Get a nice tempered glass sided case. Maybe some accent lighting too. Hell, if I was spending that much I'd spring for a custom water loop and cool the GPU.
>>
>>58186133
There is one reason i picked that case and its the motherfucking carrying handles.
>>
>>58184098
don't get ink unless you use the printer a lot. toner lasts forever and the printer probably will too. there are also printers that use solid blocks of wax based ink if you need high quality colour. toner is always cheapest and most reliable.
>>
File: 1417154252419.jpg (146KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1417154252419.jpg
146KB, 1024x1024px
>>58185880
>>58185588
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hhTJBP heres an updated list of what I am getting, should I bit the bullet and go straight for the 1080 or keep the 1070?
>>
>>58184951
>>58185238
490 is probably more expensive than I want, and any lower tier Vega cards will likely come even later based on current information I can find. I don't want to wait any longer than Zen's release nor be stuck with Nvidia on an AMD system.
>>
>>58186237
Is the Gammaax 400 still on sale on Jewegg Canuckistan? It was going for $18 Canadian Pesos a day or two ago. It's roughly equal to a 212X but you'd save some money.
>>
File: 1352617158633.jpg (132KB, 1205x721px) Image search: [Google]
1352617158633.jpg
132KB, 1205x721px
>>58186237
>https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hhTJBP

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ypcTFd woops wrong link
>>
i want to play AAA games at max settings, run two monitors for gaming/shit posting, and i'll need to run big CAD programs in a couple years from home. budget is around 1700
>>
>>58186237
Keep the 1070, unless you have money to blow. Get another SSD, 120GB is cramped for games. Your case probably has two slots
>>
>>58186333
>>58186338
Just checked, Newegg still has the Gammaax 400 for $18 Canadian rupees. Equivalent cooler for half the price.
>>
>>5818633
m8
>>
>>58185368
not that guy, but I have a phenom 2 that can still run modern games on low-med. it's a solid cpu. it is about time to replace it though.
>>
>>58186057
It's honestly astounding how you managed to put together a gaming build for $5000 but didn't even get SLI, especially for 3440x1440 100Hz (equivalent to 4K 60Hz). It's honestly quite remarkable how you managed to include so much inconsequential shit to drive the price that ridiculously high for a GTX 1080/6800k build.
>>
>>58186339
>1700
I like it.
Too bad you never mentioned country.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yNK3WX
>>
>>58186440
Well, what would you do? Honestly asking i know i made mistakes but i wanted to see what a more knowledable crowd would say.
>>
Do graphics cards generally go on sale after the big tech conference early January? Because I'm probably going to get the new i5 7600k and I wanted to know if I should wait to see if sales happen because of that conference or buy the card now.
>>
http://www.staples.ca/en/Dell-Optiplex-7010-Refurbished-Desktop-Intel-Core-i7-3770-3-4GHz-12GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-Pro/product_2300589_2-CA_1_20001

Can i put a video card in one of these and have a machine that's suitable for some light gaming?
>>
How did I do /g/?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mG7XM8

Also, looking for a good 1440p monitor, trying to keep it cheaper. Any Suggestions?
>>
>>58186530
Yes but make sure the PSU can handle it
>>
File: 1437448043588.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1437448043588.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
>well ah reckon dasa bout tree fiddy
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NPMvsJ
>random attention getting pic unrelated because no chef.jpeg on this machine but you still need to see this
$350
>>
>>58186651
Wait for Zen meme
>DDR3
>FM2
>2016
>>
>>58186574
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fj3ZWX
>>58186651
Ew.
EW.
And no, it's not the fucking shit APU/Socket, it's the case+PSU.
You could get a 25 buck case and a 80+ 400ish PSU for the same price.
>>
So why is Coolermaster such a fucking awful brand?
I was scammed into buying one of their fans for my CPU and it does literally nothing, I have it on the highest setting in my Bios and my CPU runs 70-80c at MODERATE LOADS
I'm not even crunching numbers, just trying to get daily use out of it and bam, bluescreen because I bought the worst brand of cooler known to man. I also was dumb enough to buy one of their cases and not only do the fans do nothing for the airflow, I took off the side panel and the inside of the honeycomb is crazy fucking burred, like they didn't even attempt to grind it during manufacturing which just points to their awful build quality.

tl;dr: I regret buying Coolermaster and would strongly recommend against it
>>
>>58186508
I'd need to know exactly what you're aiming for, but at a glance:
>$400 mobo - why? You could get a decent one for $200 most likely
>2x8GB RAM - it's fine but you're not getting quad channel, might as well go for 4x4GB or 4x8GB since you're on Broadwell-E anyway
>1TB 960 Pro - this is ridiculously expensive and won't have any real impact on games or normal use, 1TB is also quite large for SSDs. A 250-500GB 850 EVO will do just fine. Even a 1TB 850 EVO is like half the price
>6TB HDD - also kind of expensive, will you actually need all the space? Definitely overkill for gaming, as there's no point to having that many games installed. Could make sense if this is going to be your only data storage device though
>$230 sound card - going to be largely useless unless you have some specific requirement
>$120 WiFi adapter - cable is better in every way, even if you have to put some effort in to run it around your house, you do it only once
>monitor is very expensive, not much you can do if this is what you want I guess
>keyboard is overpriced, can get cheaper mechanicals
>mouse is overpriced, Logitech has cheaper models with the same sensor, even wireless if that's your thing
>headset - the one you chose is USB virtual surround, the sound card will be 100% useless (it basically has its own built in). I'd suggest you get headphones + some mic to clip on the cable anyway, for quality.

In short that SSD, the mobo and the sound card look like huge wastes of money to me, keyboard and mouse too but to a lesser extent. You should really be able to save enough for a 2nd 1080. You can DEFINITELY use the performance and even if SLI won't always work it will still be a better way to spend your budget than on ridiculous mobos, SSDs and sound cards. Depending on how quickly you aim to buy this you may also want to wait for Zen/Vega/1080Ti, they may at least jostle up prices.
>>
I built my PC around 5-6 years ago, since then I've helped friends out with builds and purchases. Now I'm about ready to upgrade and I have no idea what to do. My only knowledge comes from building from scratch. Is there a basic guide to upgrading your system, and at what point is it better to just buy a new rig rather than upgrade?
>>
>>58186780
Post rig and budget for upgrading, I'll give advice.
>>
Not sure where to post this but I'm looking for a gigabit router that I can change my ips (dynamic IP) via mac address change without having to unplug and reconnect my router to reset. If I can run dd-wrt or tomato on it that would be good.
>>
>>58186780
My PC is 6 years old and i want a major upgrade as well. Wait for Zen unless you find really good Skylake deals.
>>
>>58186780
Look for bottlenecks, and upgrade them. Deciding to build a new rig depends on your definition of new. I recently moved to skylake from AMD, so I needed a new mobo, cpu, and ram. I also switched to liquid cooling. So all I'm keeping is the gpu, power supply, hdd, and case. Is that a new rig? It doesn't really matter. Just keep replacing the lowest performing part and you'll have a good pc.
>>
>>58186780
Ask and you shall receive, there's at least three people here who think digging through Newegg and building a PC on a fixed budget is fun
>>
>>58186754
Thanks anon, its still in the planning stage right now.
As for the mobo, i looked at its specs vs the asus z170 pro and i liked what i saw.
On the subject of the RAM i heard 2 sticks was easier the CPU versus 4 sticks but than again i dont know
And the storage devices i just wanted the fastest plain and simple, i move a lot of game folders often.
I would like to hear your suggestions on sound cards because i do enjoy good quality audio and i understand wireless headphones sort of defeat this purpose but wires are the bane of my existance.
And the wifi adapter is needed just due to my house being the way it is right now.
>>
>>58186874
Unless you're using high impedance, wired, studio monitor headphones; you don't need a sound card in a modern PC. Your onboard audio can push better quality than Bluetooth can transmit.
>>
>>58186754
>>58186874
I forgot to say what im going for, sorry.
Im looking to have a good high end 1080/1080ti
single card rig that i can hit a steady 100 fps in most things that i probably wont upgrade for a while.
>>
>>58186594
Is replacing the PSU going to be a problem? I don't want to find out that that there's some ridiculous proprietary PSU that I can't replace if I buy one of these things
>>
>>58186930
Gimme a second on Newegg and I'll build you one for cheaper. One question though, are you willing to put the effort into custom watercooling or nah?
>>
>>58186935
>PSU doesn't fit
>acquire dremel
>remove PSU brackets
>tape PSU in position
>PSU fits perfectly
Anything fits when you have a dremel.
>>
>>58186930
Well I haven't even looked at it but it sounds like you have plenty of money. Just look up an ultra high end build on YouTube and copy that. Problem solved.
>>
>>58186951
>tape

I like your style.
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113335

>$53

Is there something I'm missing here?
>>
>>58186939
Nah, i need to do more homework into custom watercooling before i feel comfortable doing it around sensitive electronics. Thanks tho, sorry for any spelling or grammar screw ups im on mobile right now
>>
>>58186974
>AMD
>>
File: eja.png (22KB, 586x387px) Image search: [Google]
eja.png
22KB, 586x387px
>>58186798
Here you go, boss. I made the guess of 6 years but it might have been less, I can't actually remember when I built it but I think these parts were new at the time so whenever that was. What should I do here?
>>
>>58186974
The A series sucks. A lot. If you're running next to nothing besides email and minesweeper you're fine, but even the a-10 apus are mediocre at gaming, and bottleneck with a dedicated gpu.
>>
I have a $1500 USD flexible budget and would like advice on building a gaming pc from scratch. No keyboard, monitor, mouse or anything else. I will be buying it within the next few days and would like to not regret it in 2 months when new shit comes out. I am a novice but am willing to learn whatever needs to be learned in order to make this happen. Any help would be appreciated. I started another thread elsewhere but I figured you guys would give better suggestions.
>>
>>58186874
>>58186930
Is $5k your budget or just what you ended up on? If you're willing to spend more then I guess you can just throw in another 1080 and that's that. In any case:
You WILL NOT get 100FPS in the most demanding titles with a single 1080. 3440x1440@100FPS requires the same power as 4K@60FPS, except the monitor is low-DPI so you need more AA, so it's actually worse in practice. A single 1080 isn't up to the task unless you want to sacrifice quality significantly. A 1080Ti probably won't be enough either, since a Titan XP isn't. You want 1080 SLI at least, or you're dropping settings, or you're waiting for an even faster GPU.

>As for the mobo, i looked at its specs vs the asus z170 pro and i liked what i saw.
A more expensive mobo won't really make anything better, just look for one that has all the features you want
>On the subject of the RAM i heard 2 sticks was easier the CPU versus 4 sticks but than again i dont know
Intel's enthusiast platform is quad channel, ideally you run it with 4 or 8 sticks.
>And the storage devices i just wanted the fastest plain and simple, i move a lot of game folders often.
That's a pretty poor reason, especially if you're giving up another 1080 for it. SSD to HDD speed is going to be capped by the HDD anyway and moving games to a different location in the same partition is instantaneous anyway - since the actual data doesn't move.
>sound
If you want headphone sound quality, you start with high-quality headphones. Everything else is much less important, as long as it isn't utter shit. Some of these high-end mobos actually have pretty good on-board sound too, to the point where you may not notice any difference compared to something "better", sound isn't like CPUs or GPUs where throwing money at the problem can provide vastly improved real-world performance. That being said, gaming headsets and wireless anything are pretty much out of the question if you're looking for quality.
>>
>>58187009
>8350.
Leave it, just get a decent cooler for it.
>RAM
Get another stick of the same manufacturer, OR get 8 or 16 gigs of even faster RAM.
>R9 200
RX 480, now.
>Storage
120 GB SSD, migrate OS to it. Samsung, PNY, Adata, and Sandisk work out.

That's my advice anyway.

And get a new PSU, if you haven't replaced yet.
That thing has to blow out after 6 years or so.

an example.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62RvsJ
>>
File: 1482347893435.jpg (61KB, 659x999px) Image search: [Google]
1482347893435.jpg
61KB, 659x999px
>>58186699
>nice double dubs
>wants me to get nicer case & psu
Okay; how about this (even cheaper but better):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mVqpD8
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mVqpD8

>>58186677
>nice double dubs
>hmm, seeing two double dubs replies to my post really makes me think
>mfw when I already built a very similar system on black friday and cyber monday for only $250
Seriously, though, Zen looks like it's gonna be good... but I wanted something *now* and I also wanted to help AMD tide themselves over with yet one more sale before they make it to Zen release.
>>
>>58187009
For a quick upgrade you could get a new gpu, but if you really want to get into it and have the budget I would upgrade to a 6600k or a 6700k. You'd need a new motherboard and ram, but it would be a brand new system at that point.
>>
Should I shitcan my 4790k?
>>
File: nuc.png (105KB, 999x521px) Image search: [Google]
nuc.png
105KB, 999x521px
I've honestly never built a pc before. Are these parts compatible with the nuc?
>>
File: Raidmax 630W.jpg (31KB, 480x300px) Image search: [Google]
Raidmax 630W.jpg
31KB, 480x300px
Is a 6+2pin PCI-E connector ok for an RX480?

I haven't had problems so far other than some stuttering in a few games that might just be my meme FX8350 bottlenecking.

I'm not savvy enough to know what normal voltages are like monitoring on HWinfo and afterburner.

PSU is a Raidmax 630W that I cheaped out on 3 years ago. The 6+2 pin cable also has another male 6+2 coming off of it which I find weird.
>>
>>58187126
alright, you scored on the case, but you really want that 80+ Certification on the power supply.
It ensures it's pulling 80% efficiency from the outlets in your house.

That, and it also usually means that the PSU has some reliability.

Some.
>>
>>58187144
You're not "building" a PC moreso than modding it a bit.

IIRC, they should be.
>>
>>58187140
No, why would you? Even if you go to a 6700k you won't get much better performance. Not enough to bin it, anyways.
>>
>>58187185
>the 6700k that launched in Q3 2015 is not much better than the 4790k that launched in Q2 2014
I thought hardware was supposed to go obsolete?
Will the 10nm Cannonlake at least give my 4790k a run for it's money?
>>
>>58187169
Okay thank you. Also, is windows 10 free? And how does the latest microsoft office suite work now that it's in the cloud? Is it subscription based or one-time fee?
>>
>>58187205
It will, after 4 or 5 years. If you've got the money and the need to always be bleeding edge, go for it. But otherwise if you're just gaming or light rendering you probably shouldn't bother. Cannonlake will just be a slightly improved Kabylake, pretty much only laptops will see much benefit because of improved power consumption. At least, that's what I've read.
>>
>>58187205
Apart from the memory you can pair up with it there's really not enough of an improvement to warrant an upgrade. If you got money though nobody's gonna tell you otherwise...

I don't know what the rest of your specs are or what you do with your computer but I'd be willing to bet upgrading your graphics card alone would be better if you don't have one from this generation or a top-end one from the last.

Getting a nice fucking monitor is a better luxury upgrade too.
>>
>>58187253
b-but 10nm
>7nm never ever
>>
>>58187119
>that example
Thanks man, this works out well. Is there a reason you'd recommend 4x4 over 2x8 ram?
>>58187128
>brand new system
I'm not sure I want to blow the money yet, unless I'd really need to. If this one can last a while longer with smaller upgrades I'd rather go for that.
>>
>>58187096
5k is my ceiling.
As for the resolution i tend to play most at would be 1680x1050 windowed.
Would a single 1080 be up for the task of 100FPS at that resolution?
The ssd would probably be my main drive just because the WD black would be for anything i have no plans on using anytime soon.
>>
>>58187312
Yes, it will be fine for such low res. Why the extremely expensive monitor then? If you're looking for workspace buying an extremely expensive ultra-wide gaming monitor is not the way to go.
>>
>>58187299
Cheapest option from what I could tell.
Then again, I'm tired.
Mostly just go with high MHz Ram that won't break the bank.
>>
>>58187119
Why the air cooler? A little bit more you could get a Corsair H60. I haven't looked up that particular cooler, but surely the H60 would be more effective, right?
>>58187299
Then go for the 480, or 1060/1070 and ram, like the other anon said. Also I haven't looked much into it much, but using 4 sticks will just put more work on the memory controller and can mess with the timings.
>>
>>58187379
Eh, I wouldn't bother too much with watercooling right off the bat.

Noctua's aircoolers can match some water coolers, IIRC.

Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.
>>
File: 71x97zbq7qL.jpg (204KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
71x97zbq7qL.jpg
204KB, 1632x1224px
Will a GeForce 9400 GT work in a M2N68-LA motherboard?
>>
>>58187409
It should, your board has a x16 slot. I'm not sure if it'll fit in your case though
>>
While we're talking CPUs, what's the smallest you think we'll see? Obviously something like 7nm or maybe even 10nm is the commercial limit but I wonder if there'll be 5nm CPUs available for whatever purposes.
Also I'm retarded but why don't they just make physically larger CPUs? It'd fuck over laptop manufacturers but I'm sure there are enough desktop builders who'd use a larger case/mobo for a more powerful CPU and it seems like making the physical die bigger is the cheapest and easiest way to increase the amount of power it has.
>>
File: 1409237679671.png (426KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1409237679671.png
426KB, 640x480px
>>58186338
Alright guys you have been a huge help today! one last question though:
What type of 1070/1080 should I go for? like gigabyte or EVGA?
are they all generally the same?
>>
>>58187340
Not sure why on the monitor, just is and i didnt have too many second thoughts on it.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CC8rpb

Hows this? Ditched the sound card, went with the less expensive m.2 ssd and added the 4 sticks of ram instead of the 2.
>>
>>58187431
Well, really that's the size of the transistor, and there have been transistors as small as 1nm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nanometer). I'm not well-read enough to say how small they will go. As for the bigger question, you tend to see diminishing returns as size goes. It just produces more heat, so you have to clock it slower. It's also really expensive.
>>
>>58187442
I'm an EVGA fanboy, they have the best customer service if anything goes wrong with it.
>>
>>58187449
That monitor is a poor choice if you're going to be playing games at 1680x1050 in a window. Why are you doing that anyway? If that's what you want you could always drop down to RX 480/GTX 1060 level, or at least buy a 1080p 144Hz monitor. That headset looks extremely overpriced, at $300 you're in fairly high-end headphone territory and they'll all shit on any "7.1" gaming headset. It's a bad choice, what to get depends on what you want exactly, you could try /hpg/. Sennheiser HD600/650 are around that range for instance.

4 sticks or RAM is better, will give you better memory bandwidth.

SSD is still overpriced if all you're doing is gaming, you won't see any benefit compared to an EVO or something like that.
>>
>>58187379
>or 1060/1070 and ram, like the other anon said.
Wouldn't I need to grab a new motherboard/cpu as well? Last I recall AMD and Nvidia products don't meld well together, unless I'm an idiot and thinking about it wrong.
>>
>>58187449
Well I'm jealous. But the cooler will come with thermal paste on it, in my experience pretty good paste at that. Also, I think you'll need either some splitters or a fan hub, won't you?
>>
>>58187546
No, it'll run perfectly fine. I'm running a Nvidia card on an AMD cpu right now, actually.
>>
File: 1366610280516.jpg (67KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1366610280516.jpg
67KB, 499x374px
>>58187506
hmm I am seeing that some of the cards are almost 60-100 dollars more then this one
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871
would it be worth it to spend the extra dough? or is it just for fluff features?
>>
Is it a necessity to buy a high wattage power supply like 700+ for mid-high end setups?

Do stock clock Skylake CPU rigs with maybe a 1080 aftermarket version and basic peripherals/SSD demand much?

PSU calculators always give low recommendations for setups like that.

Logical increments always gives high wattage recommendations for single 1070 or 1080 setups with the 6.7k
>>
>>58187576
Oh, excellent! I have more than enough disposable income to pick up the 1070. I don't think it's necessary at the moment to pick up the 6700k + a new motherboard, I might wait for something fresh to come out and upgrade then. How much better exactly is the 1070 from the 480?
>>
>>58187579
There isn't much difference between them in performance, and in temperature that card runs pretty cool.
>>
>>58187645
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-AMD-RX-480/3609vs3634

I'm seeing benchmarks with 25-35 fps difference in them. They usually compare crossfire 470's before they compare a single 480.
>>
I'm building a gaming computer for my brother, he has a ~1k$ budget and wants a good pc. I'm from canada.

I ripped off logicalincrements excellent tier, and came up with pic related. My question is can i make it cheaper? Because it seems like i could get a better deal with this diy kit http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3023224
>>
>>58187728
J-just wait till Vulkan/dx12 haha..... [spoiler]:'([/spoiler]
>>
>>58187734
Check the pcbg pcpartpicker link in the OP

>>58187645
It's a lot better. The 1070 is a 1440p card

>>58187546
They work well together.
>>
>>58187734
Wow shit is expensive in Canada. Well, there are cheaper motherboards. You have a Z170, which you really only need if you're getting the 6600k. There are also cheaper z170 boards like
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128843
if you want to use the extra money to get the K version. Also if your case can fit (I'm assuming it can, since you have a full atx mobo) it I would spring for a bigger card, like
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871&cm_re=1070-_-14-125-871-_-Product
And you're also missing a case and a cpu cooler, I assume on purpose.

And next time try pcpartpicker.
>>
>>58187814
>brother gets new build
>buys an h440 case
>company accidentally sends him 2
>decide "hey I'll take it, looks comfy as fuck"
>it's a mid tower
>I have a full tower
>no compatibility

What's a comfy full tower case to upgrade to?
>>
>>58187874
The fuck do you need a full tower for?
>>
>>58187874
>comfy
>full

Pick one
>>
>>58187159
How about this for $313.55?
>or is doubling ram from 8-16gb worth $40?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WfxsM8

...how low can *you* go with an APU-based system? Hey, should I downgrade the A10 to an A8 or A6?
>>
File: circuitry.jpg (160KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
circuitry.jpg
160KB, 1366x768px
>>58187961
>check'em
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WfxsM8
>>
>>58187888
I assumed my build was only compatible with one. Come to think of it I don't exactly know why I need one, but according to the part picker site it's incompatible with mid towers
>>
>>58187961
I mean, I've seen worse. I don't want to read back up, I assume you'll be doing basic work and light, low rez gaming? I used an A10-6700 for gaming for a while, it's not awful. As long as you go in with low expectations this build is fine.

If you won't be gaming and really need the money, you can go to an A8. I wouldn't reccomend it, but you can.
>>
Is a 6700k/Nvida 1080 enough for 3840 × 2160 gaming?
>>
>>58188066
You won't get a solid 60 fps with it, but it'll work well enough if that doesn't bother you.
>>
>>58187874
You mobo is full ATX. Look for a mid tower that supports that form factor

Also check out bench cases
>>
>>58187844
Hows this?
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/nFpHpb

The price on newegg is 1,134.93$. For the case i'm going to have to choose one with my brother when i see him, as for the cooler i was thinking of using the stock one.
>>
What is better.

Build Gaming PC with a G4400 but get a GTX 1060 and a 240 GB 850 EVO with a 1TB WD Blue or Build one with a I5-6500 and a Zotac GTX 1050Ti mini and a 1TB WD Blue?
>>
>>58188199
Neither you retard, get an i3
>>
>>58188184
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QLKpD8

This is what I would do with your budget. It has a better processor that supports overclocking, a better HDD, a better cooler, and a better power supply.
>>
>>58188199
I'd go with the i5. You can always add an ssd later, and the 1050ti isn't bad for 1080p gmaing
>>
>>58188338
Alright thanks man
>>
>>58188371
No prob. Side note it doesn't have case fans, so hopefully you have some in whatever case you pick.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y39rpb
Is my build shit?
>>
>>58188391
It's pretty good. Very similar to my own, actually. It could use better cooling if you want better overclocks.
>>
>>58188199
Get an i3 6100 with specifically a Gigabyte Z170-HD3P motherboard, because I can personally vouch that overclocking the i3 on that mobo is easy, simple, and hasn't been patched out.
>>
>>58188435
Thanks.
>>
sup
Haven't had any decent pc in what feels like ages now, decided to treat myself in the nearest future. Realized that last time I built a pc was in 2006. How bad is it?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M2LsM8

Don't want to go too much over $1k, but at the same time I wanna play modern vidya in silky smooth 60fps. What to change?
>>
>>58188561
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MctnXH

That's what I'd do. Eventually get a better cooler and up your overclock, but a 212 evo will get you a modest overclock.
>>
>>58188611
Truth be told I have neither idea nor experience in overclocking stuff, so I didn't think about that at all. I guess another hundred bucks won't hurt, but will there be a real difference?
>>
>>58188665
There's a moderate difference now, but it's really about when the cpu gets a little dated. Overclocking can let you squeeze a bit more life out of it. As far as gaming you probably won't gain more than 5 fps, but in the long run that 5 fps might keep it playable. It's pretty easy to do, and there's guides all over youtube.

Also I changed the ram, which in hindsight is completely unnecessary as it only saves like $10.
>>
>>58188085
What about 1440p?
>>
>>58188561
Sucks for 1080p
Drop 8GB of RAM
Get i5 6500
Get 6GB 1060
>>
File: ddr4.png (413KB, 800x594px) Image search: [Google]
ddr4.png
413KB, 800x594px
DDR4-2400 is CAS 10 worth it?
>>
>>58188983
Some people want more than 60fps on max settings faggot.
>>58189027
>muh low latency
Just get 3000 MHz CAS 15 for $80.
>>
>>58189084
i'm willing to spend up to ~130. or would it just be throwing money away with no real gains?
>>
So I have a new i5-6600k, and I also use it for integrated graphics. On idle, just desktop, the percentages are good with 0%-12%

However, when loading up a game the CPU starts to use absurd amounts for the game, 70%-90% just for 100% orange juice. However Windows 8.1 (not activated) still runs smooth, and when opening another game at the same time it will share CPU usage while with the other game, and lower itself still maintaining stable frame rates. Programs like Opera, or steam, and even Skype have nice CPU percentages of usage, usually under 10%. All of the CPU cores are doing equal work and have similar temperatures, so no outlier.

What would be causing this issue?
>>
Adjusted this >>58188611 build to what I can actually buy around here (Thailand) and swapped monitor for 144hz. On the fence about the monitor really, will probably ditch it and stick to the first one I picked. Redpill me on this guys, what would be the wise move here?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fX8rpb

This setup I can buy here for $1500 because everything costs just a little bit more, few bucks here and there, over a hundred for GPU and stuff like that. Fucking sucks mang.
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.