[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 14

File: em-drive-699x449.jpg (75KB, 699x449px) Image search: [Google]
em-drive-699x449.jpg
75KB, 699x449px
"China claims to have a working version of NASA's impossible engine orbiting the Earth - and will use it in satellites 'imminently"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4052580/China-claims-built-working-version-NASA-s-impossible-engine-says-s-orbiting-Earth.html

Holy fuck how did America miss this? This is Sputnik all over again.

>america btfo
>"muh laws of physics!" btfo
>>
>claims
>>
According to the comments in your link, British people invented that thing. NASA just test it.
>>
>>58175103
>Holy fuck how did America miss this? This is Sputnik all over again.

Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously. China will colonize mars way before the rest even make serious plans to get people there.
>>
>>58175103
It all sounds like total bullcrap,but i hope it will work only to rub into the face of tundercuck!
>>
>>58175182
> Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously.
And they're right to do so, investing in space beyond comm satellites and ICBMs is a waste of money, there is nothing of use for us out there.
>>
>>58175103
true interconnect revolution incoming if this thing works
lower satellite orbits
eternal satelites
faster internet
EVERYWHERE
>>
>>58175206
>there is nothing of use for us out there.
Except raw materials, greater knowledge of the universe, and potential for life on other planets. God damn current year /g/ is dumb.
>>
>>58175206
Muh bait
>>
>>58175182
>Except of course America isn't investing shit in space while China is taking space seriously.

Isn't that pretty much what was happening when Sputnik orbited?
>>
>dailymail
trash.tga
>>
>>58175103
It's a lie. I work for NASA. EM drive is BS. Come on... You can't break Newton's third law like that. The idiots mistook thermal expansion for movement and published the paper. They even mention it could be a major reason to throw off the experiment but for some reason still publish the paper. There is a whole article about it if you search.
>>
>>58175247
> raw materials
How many raw materials is being spend to acquire and deliver a gram of "raw materials" out there? And it's not like the Solar System is full of something really useful you can't have on the earth.
> greater knowledge of the universe
Well, yes, orbital telescopes worth it too, but that's all.
> potential for life on other planets
There is no such potential in the Solar System and interstellar travel is basically unfeasible if our "knowledge of the universe" is correct.

Space will became the same useless "prestige" money sink for rich countries to compete in as art is for centuries and professional sport - for decades.
>>
>>58175353
No scientist have shown what you claim. If you have evidence then why havent you published a paper on it?

>I work for NASA.

try making up a better lie
>>
>>58175353
Sebassss go to bed
>>
Good for the Chinese if true. Like the old Asimov quote : there is a single light of science and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere.
Put simply if the Chinese succeed then others will invest in the tech.
>>
>>58175103
Not surprised.

America
>sir we want to use X technology
>yeah well first make sure we got the patents and the certifications and all the bureaucratic slow shit

China
>sir we want to use x technology
>alright here's five bucks I want to see results by friday
>>
>>58175446
I meant for colonization. We're running out of room on earth now. I'd just assume jettison people, willing to give up their lives, into space to lay the foundation for future colonies. It's going to get really crowded in the next 100 years unless a world war kills off massive amounts of people.
>>
>>58175103
>daily mail

How is /pol/ these days?
>>
>>58175182
It's called the RED planet for a reason
>>
>Working version of NASA impossible engine L@@K
>>
>>58175589
Hundred years is a long time. Technology advanced tremendously since WW1. By that time we will be in a far better position to go colonize mars or whatever.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161226-020609.png (240KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161226-020609.png
240KB, 1440x2560px
>>58175456
> No scientist have shown what you claim

I don't have to show its not working. Someone should show me it's working. The census amongst academics is that for various reasons it won't work.

> Try making up a better lie
Pic realted
>>
>People taking anything Chinese sources say seriously

Pop on over to /k/ sometime to see how that always works out.
>>
>>58175589
>We're running out of room
>99% of the habitable land mass is uninhabited
We could probably fit a few trillion people on Earth. Resources is a bigger problem, especially if everyone is going to have the same standard of living as we do in the Western world.
>>
>>58175589
Earth itself lacks the resources needed to organize colonization in any number sufficient to make a difference. Like, if you want to solve overpopulation by space colonization, you have to send hundreds of millions out there. It's much easier to send free condoms to Africa and work on rising living standards and education levels in developing countries, since it works so well to limit birthrates in the west.
>>
>>58175353
>You can't break Newton's third law like that
Unless it somehow doesn't break any "laws" and there are more factors you're not considering.
Or Newton was just wrong.

Observations always trump "laws"
>>
>>58175446
its literally impossible to get an hdd bigger than 16 megaBYTES( holy shit!)
>>
>>58175103
Burgers on suicide watch
>>
>>58175103
>If the physics-defying concept is brought to reality
>physics-defying
Now come on, it can't really be physics defying, can it?
>>
>>58175549
fun fact: it's actually old soviet military scientists saying:
if something is physically possible - we can make it
>>
>>58175182
You're probably right. It's impossible to take risks in the US anymore because of regulations and litigation. China doesn't need to worry about operations being shutdown due to unsafe conditions or the families of dead colonists suing.
>>
>>58175620
Man, that's amazing that there are NASA employees on /g/. What's your specialization?

I'm a freshman studying CS, know physics pretty well. Always wanted to work in space research field. I'm not American, but studying in US. Is there a chance for me to work for NASA from law perspective? I know that SpaceX doesn't hire foreigners, which sucks...
>>
>>58175730
>Man, that's amazing that there are NASA employees on /g/.
it's actually not: NASA the most luddite organization on earth
>>
>>58175103

The Space Race is back on!
>>
>>58175620
Your pic proves nothing dumbass. Ur just jelly that chinese are better than you
>>
>>58175194

Yes, most scientists are sceptical, even the ones working on the EM Drive. Observations appear to contradict theory. One of them is wrong. Finding out which one is how scientific progress occurs.
>>
>>58175654
this
>>
>>58175353
I work for area 51, we've been using these engines since the 80s
>>
>>58175206
>asteroid belt full of the rarest metals on earth each one worth billions of dollars

ok
>>
>>58175798
>Observations appear to contradict theory.
wow, earth is ROUND! wow, earth is spinning!
>>
>>58175103
>reading the Daily Mail
>using it as a legitimate source

You know it's a tabloid, right?
>>
>>58175446
It's raw materials of a different kind, moron.

For example, we are depleting our helium, yet the moon is full of it.
>>
>>58175811
My dad works for nintendo.
They came up with these in the 60s.
>>
>>58175833
let /g/ have their fun.
their lives are empty and miserable
>>
>>58175833

It's a tabloid, and a shitty tabloid at that.

The story isn't fake, though. The Chinese have claimed to have tested the EM Drive in orbit.

http://www.sciencealert.com/china-is-claiming-it-s-already-started-testing-an-em-drive-in-space
>>
>>58175730
I work as a software engineer for an EDL component of the Mars 2020 rover. In other words, if it lands and trips over a cliff, I probably fucked up.

Due to ITAR regulations, you have to be at least a permanent resident to be taken in for research I believe (I am one), but to directly come in contact with flight hardware you NEED to be a US resident. There are also many foreign students working as interns each year, but most of them are IT or just some excel work. They don't perform any actual work on flight stuff.

My recommendation would be to get in as an intern and there you can network. I know if you've completed a NASA internship, SpaceX gives you priority, but if you're not a US resident, then no dice unfortunately.

>>58175796
Why would I be jealous of chink scientists? I literally have about 15 days off for holidays, all while in China people throw themselves off of buildings due to work stress.
>>
>>58175859
As soon as someone told me that the plans for the EQ drive leaked, I told them China was going to have a working prototype within the year.
>>
Dailymail should be bannable word on 4chan
>>
>>58175873
don't go to /pol/
problem solved

what actually should be banned is wcctech and videocardz
>>
>>58175446

Don't claim that there is no potential for life on other planets unless you can prove it. We have no idea what we might find if we start doing serious digging on Mars. Even if all we find is microscopic fossils, it would be one of the most profound discoveries ever made.
>>
>People believe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCAqDA8IfR4
>>
>>58175893
or on Europa... I have more faith in finding life on Europa.
>>
>>58175932

Unfortunately, the Chinese just sucessfully tested the EM Drive in orbit...
>>
>>58175620
>Someone should show me it's working.
Your employer already did that. And don't reply with 'muh thermal expansion' because that was accounted for in the last paper.

>The census amongst academics
Fuck off. Consensus means NOTHING in science. Only observation.
>>
>>58175932
The guy in the youtube video seems to believe that people think the EMdrive can lift itself off the ground.
Or that it's useless if it can't do that.

It's simply for space where solar panels can give it continuous amounts of energy and there is no gravity to worry about.

And the reason it works may simply because of the same reason you can swim in space and move forwards.(only if space is curved)
http://www.science20.com/hammock_physicist/swimming_through_empty_space
>>
>>58175862
Wow only 15 days? They literally have more off-days than you work monkey.

>>58175103
Competition is best.
The Chinese with their space program have
already mapped the resource-rich areas of the Moon for potential future mining Operations.

Now, they are going to the Dark side of the Moon in 2030.
If they built a moon base, it would just be like the Golden Age of NASA.

Americans would be forced to either put their
money where their mouth is or continue fellating the Ruskies.
>>
ITT: the difference between ''''''''Scientists''''''''' and red blooded engineers.

>hurrr durr but it violates muh conservation of momentum
>muh newton
>hurrrr

>Fuck you it works, see you on the moon, nigger.
>>
>>58175987
You are missing the point, thrust is thrust, on or off the ground, he uses 'lifting off the ground' to show how ineffective it is in comparison to the other engines that we use.
>>
>>58176036
the idea that existence has set laws is baseless. there is corelation and they should be recorded but nothing is known to be impossible
>>
>>58176101
This...

There is no proof of these laws of physics. There are evidence that imply them, but no proof they actually are real.
>>
i work for NASA and the earth is flat
>>
>>58176098
That's a ridiculously stupid argument. Lifting from the ground, thrust-to-weight ratio is crucial, since you have to counter gravity. In space it rarely matters; it's delta v that's important. Guess what, if works, gives the craft infinite amount of delta v? EM Drive.
>>
>>58176117
I disagree. I believe there is ample evidence that the laws of physics are real, however it is possible that the way they have been defined are not completely accurate.

In this case however they are claiming that this engine works without fuel, but then say that it is powered by solar energy gathered through panels.

I'm sorry, but that is fuel. Energy is being preserved, we aren't getting something for nothing and some reaction is taking place that is producing propulsion.
>>
>>58176101
>>58176117
yeah brah, we're like all in charge of our own destinies brah.

Just read 'the Secret' like I did and you'll be enlightened.
>>
>>58176098
>how ineffective it is in comparison to the other engines that we use.
you mean engines that die when there is no fuel?
solar panels can essentially work forever

you are the one missing the point
>>
>>58176190
>>58176117
the moment we leave earth is the moment all laws no longer apply. there are still things we don't understand too and for all you know on one side of the universe there is no gravity at all
>>
>>58176032
15 days just for the new years. It's a lot more year round...
>>
>>58176190
do you know how much everyone confused in aerodynamics?
there are no laws - only observation
we wouldn't have planes if anyone followed "the laws"
>>
>>58176098
So what do you think about a solar sail?

You seem to be missing the point.

The EMdrive only requires energy, which you can get from solar panels.
A solar sail only requires light.

The EMdrive selling point is that it's going to be more efficient than a solar sail.

Rocket engines require fuel.

"lifting off the ground" is fucking stupid because it doesn't have to battle gravity in space.
In space the problem is with fuel.
Rocket engines will experience a fuel problem, a solar sail or an EMDrive does not.
>>
>>58176032
that would be the start of the war, moon is a very important part of our lives and the US isn't going to let the chinks fuck up like they do down here
>>
>>58176186
>hey are claiming that this engine works without fuel
They are claiming that they don't need to carry the fuel with them.
Just like with a solar sail.

So it isn't breaking any laws.

The difference between a solar sail or EMDrive is that it doesn't have to carry fuel with it, if you can get it from the stars there's practically infinite energy.
A rocket engine does have to carry fuel with it.
>>
>>58176263
>The difference between a solar sail or EMDrive
*and rocket engines
>>
>>58176247
this is sci-fi territory, anything beyond solar system is out of question

also continuous acceleration is major EM drive point
>>
>>58176269
>continuous acceleration is major EM drive point
A solar sail will also experience continuous acceleration.

As long as there's light on the solar panels for an EMDrive.
Or as long as there's light on the solar sail.
Acceleration will be continuous.
>>
>>58176284
EM drive can also be powered with nuclear reactor though.
>>
>>58175722
>China doesn't need to worry about operations being shutdown due to unsafe conditions or the families of dead colonists suing.
Sounds like they've got their priorities straight.

Honestly, why is the one-way-trip-only volunteers idea such a debated one. If someone does it of their own free will, for family honor and self honor, Fucking do it. For honor and science!
>>
>>58176294
It can.

Anything that delivers electricity will be able to power it.

Which makes it a bit more versatile than a solar sail.
>>
>>58176284
how do you decelerate with solar sail?
>>
>>58175619
not if you don't invest into developing technologies

the reason we have advanced tremendously since WW1 is because we actually put money into developing new/better stuff
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (36KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
36KB, 413x395px
Trumpistan BTFO
>>
>>58176235
That's a fucking meme you dip. Navier-Stokes was solved computationally decades ago.

I do CFD for a living. kys.
>>
>>58176308
flip it over.
>>
>>58176308
Either turning the sail or you use another engine to decelerate it.
>>
>>58176319
congratulations, you know about 1/8th of how planes work
>>
>>58176337
>>58176327
what if there is not enough light at the point of deceleration?
>>
>>58176348
What if I cut the brake lines in your car?
>>
the same reason most of the english speaking world disbelieve in UFOs
>It's so crazy it can never be real, let's pretend it doesn't exist and spend no effort in trying to understand it
>>
>>58176340
I also fly planes, nigger.
>>
>>58175620
Nasa didn't prove shit
they basically set up the test and messured its out put then then spoke to various sienceists and theriests that said it could not be used and it shouldn't work because pyshics etcs and say say yes it could because thermals , magnetic waves etc on take off and its output is very low and it some what breaks some laws that we are not happy about that is what they said in universesties un able to disprove or appove the idea of the EM drive.

but in space it would be a better test etc.. and nasa was like

wow its fucking useless shit.

Yeah BS claim.
Nasa never disproved shit.

#rekt
>>
>>58176391
so? I use computer right now, doesn't meant I understand even 10% of how OS works
>>
>>58176387
Ayy lmao this fucker believes in AYY LMAOS
>>
>>58176424
>t. Illiterate
>>
>>58176383
fallacy
you can't count what amount of light you will get outside of solar system, you can barely count amount of light in asteroid belts - too many variables
>>
>>58176431
So? Just because you're a dumb nigger, doesn't mean I am too.
>>
File: pano-raté12-L.jpg (49KB, 660x784px) Image search: [Google]
pano-raté12-L.jpg
49KB, 660x784px
Stupid Americans have to respect old ass Newton's Law while Chinks colonize the outer space
>>
>>58176163
>delta v

Spotted the faggot who played kerbal space program and now thinks he's an authority to tell anyone about space travel.

Fuck off autist
>>
>>58176453
good luck explaining to anyone how in detail kernel works
>>
>>58176452
It's an assumption.

If there isn't enough light, then shit happens and we need something else.
>>
>>58176471
This.

Just call Del-V what it fucking is..... acceleration.
>>
>>58175816
That assumes current market prices. If there is a glut the price will quickly fall and it's only going to be worth a few hundred million aka pay for maybe a handful of trips.
>>
>>58176561
>. If there is a glut the price will quickly fall
This assumes current market demand. Increased availability can lead to more demand as prices reach reasonable levels.
Much like computers.. Iphones are cheaper than the old IBM pcs even without adjusting for inflation but apple is making a boatload more money selling iphones than ibm made selling pcs.
>>
>>58176476
You're a real dumb fucker you know that?
>>
>>58176561
>I am le 4chan master economist

you're literally talking complete and utter shit that you cannot substantiate or backup with ANY evidence whatsoever, just trying to sound smart fuck off and die retard
>>
>>58176433
and why not?
I have never yet seen an accurate portrayal of them in any sort of media, movies etc.
>>
>>58176550
delta v is change in velocity
v dot = delta v / delta t is change in velocity over time = acceleration
>>
>>58175103
>china
>claims
get a load of this brainlet
>>
>>58175103
>dailymail
>>
>>58175589
>running out of room
what is Antarctica you nigger
south pole is comfy compared to Mars or Moon conditions
>>
>>58176673
>>58176673
>I have never yet seen an accurate portrayal of them in any sort of media, movies etc.
how would you even know, retard.
>>
>>58177661
kys yourself
>>
>>58175103
>implying we more than likely not had em on satellites for many decades
>>
>>58175103
>when was microwave ovens developed
>fetch answer to this
>wouldn't it make sense to use this up in space thought no one ever?
>think for a minute or two
>Hmmm... gosh jee Wilkerson i just can't fathom considering
>>
>>58175103
if you have a penis and read the daily mail you need to reconsider your life
>>
So an American company invents a thing, China puts it into space. I'm missing where

>AMERICA BTFO

is coming from
>>
>>58175103
The chinks will be the ones with egg on their face when this thing doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>58177991
>So an American company invents a thing,
WRONG.

lel.

Burgerclaps btfo by Brit X Chines tech.

kys senpai.
>>
>>58176254
>imblyin murica didnt fuck up the whole planet since founding that shithole of criminals and refugees
>>
>>58178074
>>
>>58175472
Not now, mom!
>>
>>58175182
>Except of course America isn't investing shit in space

because they are too busy wasting their money on women and getting them to join STEM fields. they are wasting their time because women are not even interested in those subjects and give up their careers to become stay in home mothers.
>>
>>58177991

More like
>A Britbong comes up with a concept of this thing in the 90s
>Other scientists laugh and tells him to fuck off, don't you ever bring this thing up again or you're fucked in the academic world.
>Basically no one listens to him.
>Makes his own company to research the drive.
>Decade later Britbong shows the idea to Chinks.
>They immediately accept it, test it and say it works.
>NASA goes into panic mode and start looking into it.
>Shit, it might actually be producing thrust.

So this is tech that could have become a thing over 10 years ago, if people had just taken this guy seriously.
It took the Chinks wanting to slap this fucker into their satellites for the West to take a serious look into the tech.
>>
How do I get to 50 uploads on PTP?
>>
>>58178516
this is what happened with jet engine
academic world is a joke
>>
>>58178479
Well, women are not going to join STEM fields without tons of continual investment. And women gets older and want to be mothers instead so there needs to be a lot of investment to avoid that they get children or if they do to keep them in the job. It's expensive, but need to be done.
>>
>>58178565
wait then it reminds me, that's what happened to the guy that invented twist in a gun barrel as well
and with steam engine
diesel inventor jumped off the ship and drowned after going bankrupt

this is depressing
>>
>>58178565
>>58178516
The Chinks, Indians and Musk are the only ones who are taking space seriously.

>Chinkies are doing it for the military advantage,
>Poo in loos are doing it for commercial, but using the profits to send probes to mars (for about 3 fiddy)
>Musk is an assburgers kid with 'dreamz'
>>
>>58175103
>Using it for sattelites
You fucking retards, the engine generates ridiculously low thrust to the point that it would only be useful if you had literal years to burn the engine.

On top of this, scientists don't think the thing is too good to be true because it would make space travel easy, it is because you could litetally build a perpetual motion engine with a reactionless drive! You mean to tell me China just discovered infinite energy and they are using it for sattelites that don't even need reactionless drives?

Fuck off with this shit. These news sites screach about fake news while telling the world we have just discovered infinite energy.
>>
>>58178655
>infinite energy
But it isn't perpetual motion you fucking moron.

It uses energy, which it gets from an energy source.
>>
>>58175630
No we can't
Fit all those people and you need an exponentially larger energy industry which will just lead to pollution and more severe climate change.
>>
>>58178692
It is.
If it works you could spin a turbine with the EMDrive. The EMDrive requires a static amount of energy to operate so the turbine will spin faster and faster until it eventually generates more energy than is required to power the EMDrive itself.
You now have infinite energy, and this is why nobody takes the EMDrive seriously.
>>
>>58178639
>Poo in loos are doing it for commercial, but using the profits to send probes to mars (for about 3 fiddy)

Nah they're doing it for ICBMs
>>
>>58178875
They already have enough icbm to fuck over any of their actual enemies.
>>
>>58178479
amerifats are transferring taxpayer money into private pockets thanks to all the wars in the ME.
Your "diversion" meme shit is pocket change in comparison.
>>
>>58175353
it was tested in a vacuum
>>
File: 20160426_102246(0).jpg (3MB, 3096x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_102246(0).jpg
3MB, 3096x4128px
>>58175353

You're an idiot and probably don't work for NASA. We don't know how it works yet so we can't say if it violates Newton's third law. You're also implying that those laws will always be constant in every situation which is really fucking stupid.
>>
>>58175353
> i work for nasa
> you cant break newtons law
> whats special relativity lol
> yeah i work at nasa please listen to me
>>
File: 1430593349008.jpg (583KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1430593349008.jpg
583KB, 1024x1280px
Far East-Asians have the highest IQ on Earth, what do you fucking expect? Of course they're going to beat you bunch of niggers who spend all their resources and time serving out Israel's dreams in the middle east, destroying one nation after the other.

Now the Chinese get to conquer space while you vote in a fat man who wants Israel strong so they can continue to circumcise helpless boys.
>>
>>58175103
>Holy fuck how did America miss this?
NASA's been testing this for a year or two. We're still at the "It looks like it works, but we don't fucking know why" stage. I imagine China is too, but they launched anyways, because fuck it. Can find out the "Why" later.
NASA's also receiving budget cuts in the next few years thanks to you-know-who.
>>
>>58175353
Guys guys, everyone pipe down. The janitor that cleans up at Nasa HQ is chiming in here.
>>
File: Future Chinese Mars settlement..jpg (67KB, 964x512px) Image search: [Google]
Future Chinese Mars settlement..jpg
67KB, 964x512px
Good, America needs a slap to the face and wake up tech-wise. China proving the tech will only reinforce the idea of shoving more money into the Development of Space related technologies.
>>
>>58176269
>Continuous acceleration
Wasn't the driving point of the EM Drive that there is no vector applied to the ship... y'know, the loophole that would get around ftl.
>>
>>58175103
>dailymail.co.uk
>>
>>58180055
>>58180069
No. You're thinking of Warp Drive, which is a whole other beast.
EM Drive's selling point is that as long as you have electricity, you can produce thrust, no matter how little.

The Warp Drive moves Spacetime itself. Of course, there's no known way the Warp Drive can work without destroying everything at your destination.
>>
>>58175247
Trump won the elections. What did you expect? It's the dark ages all over again.
>>
>>58180174
Oh wait yeah the alcubierre drive was the first "impossible drive" whenever I see EM Drive referred to as impossible drive it fucks me up
>>
>>58180069
EM drive doesn't have anything to do with FTL, you're probably thinking of the Alcubierre drive. What EM drive does do is produce reactionless thrust, meaning only power is needed - you don't need to throw anything out the back. You can just hook it up to a nuclear reactor and let it run for years, long after a rocket would have run out of propellant to throw out the back.
>>
>>58176032
no they don't. I lived in China. it's a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>58175893
Mars has extreme levels of perchlorate in the soil, only prokaryotes can survive in those conditions.

Untill we engineer bacteria to turn that into e.g. Chloride and Carbon Oxide we can't do shit on Mars.
>>
>>58176455
(((chinks))) can't even make copies of Russian jet engines that don't explode
>>
>>58179718
>Far East-Asians have the highest IQ on Earth
lmao
>>
>>58175103
>i have a big postmark collection(butterfly collection) in my basement trust me, i will show you
>>
>>58179718
are you for fucking real, mate?
>>
>>58179563
Post picture of your cock ln that viewing bubble or this picture is not you.
>>
>>58180897

Martian gardeners will have raised beds.
>>
>China
>>
>>58179718
But they lack what we call creativity.
Jewropeans have high IQ and creativity.
>>
>>58180897
What if we just nuke the ice caps a bunch?
>>
>>58181328
>But they lack what we call creativity
china pretty much invented modern civilization
paper - invention that saved us all
>>
>>58180897
just so you know - nobody, with modern materials, can survive or stay healthy on voyage to Mars yet
no protection for that radiation exists
>>
>>58180174
>>58180398
Reactionless drives also let you trivially build perpetual motion machines, because you can just build a wheel of them and spin it up to arbitrary speeds while using a constant amount of electrical energy.

(The reason this doesn't work for something like a photon drive is because the required speed you'd need to be going to get over-unity out of your wheel of photon drives is c. So anything that's more efficient than a photon drive at converting energy into acceleration is a perpetual motion machine)
>>
>>58175206
>dddurrrrrrrr
>hurrrrrrrrrrr
>we should focus on fixing the earth before other planets
>btw fuck brown people and africa nuke it from orbit :^)
>>
>>58180897

If Mars can't support life we'll just keep sending robots to the planet. I mean, just imagine what something like an autonamous rover could do on mars. We already have largely selfdriving cars, making a rover capapble of driving around on the surface of Mars and do drilling and stuff is hardly unrealistic levels of technology.
>>
>>58181526
>because you can just build a wheel of them and spin it up to arbitrary speeds while using a constant amount of electrical energy.
Except that this assumes 100% of the energy is conserved throughout the entire process, which is never the case...
>>
>>58181565
No, it's not. The problem is that with a reactionless drive, your acceleration is independent of your velocity (relativity), therefore the faster you are, the more energy you're getting out of the system.

At some critical velocity v, the amount of energy you're getting out will be greater than the amount of energy you're putting in to keep the EmDrive operational. So at some critical velocity v, the machine will self-sustain.

Again, the reason this doesn't work for a theoretically perfect photon cannon is because the critical velocity v = c, which you can never achieve. If you make a propellantless drive more efficient than a photon cannon, which the EmDrive claims to be, you can build a pereptual motion machine.
>>
>>58175700
No it cannot defy physics but it can defy our understanding of the world we live in. Remember in physics something that is know is only know to a certain degree and we must be open to any experiment that contradicts our current knowledge.
>>
>>58181435
>no protection for that radiation exists

Yes it does.

You think we haven't discovered magnets yet? Von Braun was working on magnetic shielding 50 years ago.

Water is also a very effective radiation shield. Unfortunately, it's very heavy. The costs of lifting it from the surface of the Earth is prohibitive; but, there's plenty of it in space.
>>
Cant wait until we send all niggers, arabs and refugees to Mars.
>>
>>58181922
You're saying water is magnetic?
>>
>>58175206
Typical peasant comment, coming from the average joe who doesn't have the slightest idea of how much is actually spent in space research compared to other areas.

Protip: it's almost nothing.
>>
>>58175206
Hi Obama
>>
>>58175607
cyka blyat
>>
>>58177896
>microwave oven = resonant cavity thruster
>t. Low IQ
>>
>>58178031
>it's literally working in space
>"hurr durr chinks gonna be mad when it doesn't work!"

Protip: observation ALWAYS trumps man's words and formulas (i.e. muh laws of science!).

FUCKING

ALWAYS
>>
>>58175798
I wouldn't shed any tears if the stupid lead bucket with on it microwawe is nothing more then just a meem.But if it works,i hope people with remember stupid that Hillary/EU supporting britcuck,he will go down into history like another british cockroach that said "jet propulsion has no future"!
>>58175932
Fuck this guy!
>>
>>58178516
>So this is tech that could have become a thing over 10 years ago, if people had just taken this guy seriously.

Yes. But you have to realize that the vast majority of SCIENTISTS! are midwits performing grunt work. They're above average IQ but not actually gifted. So they're really no better then a bureaucrat. The type of dipshit who would let a child starve because you didn't fill out question 37B of subsection C.

But they think they are special and in possession of TRUTH!

What does this mean? Well...these SCIENTISTS! get stuck on narratives. At which point they stop engaging in actual science and start cherry picking data to defend their point of view, the TRUTH! They're bastards if you question a pet theory, and scream bloody murder if you question a theory we call a "law."

Eventually they exhibit similar behaviors to a religious fanatic, a drug warrior, a SJW...you get the point.

The truly gifted know that our theories and our "laws" are just the feeble human mind grasping at the nature of the universe. Of course you should be skeptical if something seems to contradict past observations. But you still OBSERVE. You do not dismiss out of hand because "muh laws muh laws muh laws."

tl;dr - this could have been developed a decade ago except for midwits.
>>
>>58181608
...What if it isn't?

We haven't actually tested them at a velocity greater than zero. Maybe they have magic thrust drop off to go with their magic thrust. We're already talking about physics bending reactionless drives, if this stupid thing works a lot of books are going to need revising.
>>
>>58175206
>it doesn't look like anything to me.
>>
>>58175103
Is that an M drive??
>>
how big/powerful can we make those?
>>
>>58175206
? Their is litterally a whole universe of resources out there for us to use what are you talking about. In 50 years the corporations that start mining in space will be the largest and most lucrative in human history.
>>
>>58185194
If you change scientists to fags it sounds like your talking about /b/
>>
>>58175182
>China will colonize mars
this is probably the only way we'll have a colony on mars, they breed more than rats in a cage.
>>
>china claims
>dailymail

Wow, it's fucking nothing. Kill yourself, shit for brains.
>>
File: 1482592676599s.jpg (2KB, 125x124px) Image search: [Google]
1482592676599s.jpg
2KB, 125x124px
>>58185194
>drug warrior
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>58181608
>t. Never Read The Inventor's Paper

Acceleration is NOT independent of velocity in the EmDrive. The faster you go, the less thrust you get for input energy.

And if you read the paper, you will understand WHY this happens.
>>
>>58185679
I meant the type of ass who would "save" a person from drugs by dropping them in a prison with hardened criminals who will turn the drug addict into a literal sex slave.

Because DRUGZ ARE BAD! is as important as MUH LAWZ OF PHYSICS!
>>
>>58175722
more like one party has decided to wage war on any subsidies or research on any future technologies that threaten current mega companies profits.
>>
File: Renton-Production-737-80s.jpg (375KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
Renton-Production-737-80s.jpg
375KB, 1300x867px
>>58185748
ok ok right on dude i was hoping that! We're on the same team then. Ironically /pol/ is against personal freedoms and "degeneracy," yet half of them are spiteful NEETs =3

fun fact: i know a lot of very functional heroin addicts that live in Renton Washington and assemble 737s..

One guy that used to come around and smoke weed with me and my friends was a real old timer that had been working there since the 70s but he mostly takes subutex now. If Im not mistaken there is a opiate using subculture within areospace machinists and they all kinda watch eachothers back.

Its really fucking stupid how some drugs get demonized. I live in Finland now and there arent so many junkies but PLENTY of drunk bums that piss themselves on the bus or tram because theyre so hammered. There are functional junkies just like there are functional people that use alcohol, and there is always going to be a certain percentage of the population that acts like that. I think 1 out of 10 get hooked but something like 1 out 30 lose there shit and are the village bum type, although here in Finland the bums still have their own apartment because of socialism fortunatley.

I need to come up with some kind of rhetoric to dispell drug warriors but its damn near impossible...
>>
>>58186022
We're pretty much in agreement. I can understand drug testing / job refusal for certain positions where being compromised at work, even if it's an after effect from a previous day, could be dangerous. A bus driver, for example.

But it's not a legal issue. Non-functional drug users, i.e. addicts/abusers, need help. It's a health issue.

Personally I've never tried any street drugs. Too concerned about possible addiction and fucking a life I already struggle with. But I hate the drug war.

Any way...narratives are bad. Constantly searching for truth is good. The EmDrive may be bunk. But we have an increasing number of reports of observed thrust consistent with the inventor's theory. I'm betting it pans out. And if that forces an adjustment in our understanding of physics, good.
>>
File: 1481407117792.png (713KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1481407117792.png
713KB, 960x960px
>>58180025
>anyone in america cares
This is like the cold war grandpa. The majority of Americans will continue to keep their heads in their Facebook machines. Make memes about it, then they will care.
>>
>>58182444

Idiot.
>>
>>58185468

We don't know.

If they don't scale, they can be still be used in arrays.
>>
>>58175103
>china claims
China claims a lot of things. Almost none of them are true. The Chinese lie constantly.
>>
>>58181922
>but, there's plenty of it in space.
I'm pretty sure Mars is closer than any kind of water in Solar system.
How reliable magnetic shielding have to be?
It must work for 6 years without a fault, it would be almost impossible to fix if it's damaged.
>>
>chinks make fake mock up out of tinfoil and styrofoam
>America haters piss their pants in glee

Nothing to see here.
>>
STEMtards still BUTTMAD after realizing their scientific """"""""""""method"""""""""""" isn't actually as rigorous as they continually shill it to be.

Don't bother replying, STEMtards and yes, I am le philosopher!
>>
NASA claims it won't cost a trillion dollars for a Mars mission.
>claims
>>
>>58175558
>China
>>sir we want to use x technology
>your ceo is now in jail for corruption
>my cousin will take over as ceo
>we will direct 1billion RMB to the company
>company now has 500million RMB to spend on research
>has to pay off officials for research licenses
>now has 250million RMB to spend on research
>employs 10 scientists
>has to fire two because they didn't sing patriotic songs
>3 have fake degrees and don't know science but they pay kickbacks to the HR manager so they can't be fired
>3 more are sons of company executives, technically scientists but not very good
>2 scientists who know their shit do the work
>get fired for not producing results by Friday
>charged with undermining the state by failing to produce results in space race
>executed for sedition
>>
>>58175353
newton has been wrong before; just look at all the shit that einstein disproved
>>
>>58175859
>The story isn't fake, though. The Chinese have claimed to have tested the EM Drive in orbit.
10:1, some idiot scientist in China space agency who cheated his way through his degree and got his job by nepotism thought that he'd come across some magic that would win him a nobel prize and convinced his minister daddy to let him do it as a real project because all those other idiots were holding him back and too blinded by theory to see the truth.

A few faked results and some confirmation-bias later and the agency is putting out a press release about how they've made free energy
>>
>>58176032
>Wow only 15 days? They literally have more off-days than you work monkey.
This.

The two golden weeks are about 25 days of public holiday, without anything else.

Professionals have annual leave as well, that they take for running errands, short holidays, the usual stuff.
>>
>>58175103

>China claims

China claims to sell you a 2TB SSD and it is actually just a 256MB flash drive inside a 2.5" SSD case packed with dirt. China claims lots of shit.
>>
>>58176296
>Honestly, why is the one-way-trip-only volunteers idea such a debated one
I don't think it is.
Anyway, can't sue in USA for what happens on Mars.

>>58178875
>Nah they're doing it for ICBMs
India doesn't need ICBMs, the only countries they have any issue with are right next door.
>>
>>58178760
the EMDrive requires a static amount of energy and produces a static amount of thrust. It would need to overcome:
1. resistance of the turbine (larger turbines produce larger amounts of resistance)
2. resistance of the electromagnets (larger coils produce larger amounts of resistance)
3. resistance of the air (which increases as the turbine increases in speed)

This thing produces micronewtons of force per kilowatt of energy put in. You will never be able to turn a turbine large enough to power it under its power alone.
>>
The watts to force output of the NASA paper was abysmally small compared to other forms of thrust, if they really did implement this design they likely would have had to make vast improvements and or use it in conjunction with other thrust technologies
>>
>>58188952
>bu...bu...but it can't be true!
The most recent NASA test pretty much confirms that the EmDrive generates thrust.

>putting out a press release about how they've made free energy
Confirmed for not even knowing how the damn thing works. STFU
>>
>>58189314
The point is not to get to orbit with the thing. Thrust is dismal but in the vacuum of space operating hour after hour eventually you can get somewhere quickly and without the weight of propellant.
>>
>>58188466
>I'm pretty sure Mars is closer than any kind of water in Solar system.

There are Near Earth Objects (NEOs) that contain water. A single Metalic NEO contains more minerals and metals (including gold, platinum and silver) than humanity has mined on Earth over the past 10,000 years.

These objects, or asteroids, are common. Many are located at stable lagrange points within easy reach.

>How reliable magnetic shielding have to be?

The magnestic shield would be electromagnetic, it would require a nuclear power source.

>It must work for 6 years without a fault, it would be almost impossible to fix if it's damaged.

Six years?

If the mission was the outer solar system, then yes?

Any power supply on a long mission would have redundency built in.
>>
>>58176263
it's not about carrying the fuel, it's about the availability of the time fuel
for rockets the fuel must be carried on the rocket because it cannot be obtained in space
the em drive needs only electricity which can be obtained in space from the sun, but could also be stored in batteries
>>
>>58190625
time fuel was a typo, I meant fuel
>>
File: giphy.gif (773KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
773KB, 500x333px
>>58185060
>resonant
>CAVITY
>T H R U S T E R
>>
>>58190625

I like the term "time fuel", regardless of typo.

Indeed, chemical rockets are only good for short journeys. The EM Drive could be used in deep space missions in combinaion with a nuclear power source. If we get fusion off the ground (and the EM Drive proves scalable) we will become an interstellar species.
>>
File: 1402065566623.jpg (43KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1402065566623.jpg
43KB, 450x450px
>>58190350
>A single Metalic NEO contains more minerals and metals (including gold, platinum and silver) than humanity has mined on Earth over the past 10,000 years.
what
>>
>>58175446

These drives just proved our knowledge of the universe in incorrect; else, they wouldn't work in the first place.
>>
>>58191551
Assuming it is they actually work and this isn't just china making shit up
>>
>>58176247
They would at night
>>
File: mined-cube-pyramid[1].jpg (186KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
mined-cube-pyramid[1].jpg
186KB, 1024x717px
>>58191540
....woah
>>
>>58191540
>What

The majority of mineral and metals on Earth are inaccessable. They're too deep to mine. All the gold on the surface of our planet was deposited by meteorites, asteroids and comets.

Google: "Mining The Skies" by J. Lewia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_the_Sky

IT's a very interesting read.
>>
>>58175353
back to /sci/
>>
>>58175182
chinese will need to buy some americans to help them think freely

they are not open thinkers they have 0 chance in hell of colonizing space
Thread posts: 221
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.