[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introducing the Surface Phone >runs full windows 10 >complete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 5

File: Surface-Phone-Concept-Art.jpg (46KB, 676x380px) Image search: [Google]
Surface-Phone-Concept-Art.jpg
46KB, 676x380px
Introducing the Surface Phone

>runs full windows 10
>complete emulation of x86 win32 applications
>Snapdragon 835
>5.5" QHD super amoled display with surface pen support
>4GB ram
>64/128gb variants with micro SD expansion
>multiple USB-C ports (2 minimum) with an array of adaptors available

IF Microsoft were to release such a phone next year, would it be the end of iOS and android? Would it be the perfect smartphone?
>>
Botnet
>>
You forgot
>No Apps
>DOA
>>
>>58173446
>implying iOS and Android aren't botnet

There would be literally no difference
>>
>>58173456
What did you not understand about the full windows 10 with x86 application support bit?
>>
I wish.
>>
>>58173502
And that is good because?

Nobody wants to run x86 apps on a phone. People want apps. Only virgin neckbeards like you think this is cool, nobody else.

x86 are useful on a laptop, not on a phone.
>>
>>58173436
Knowing Microsoft it's going to be that plus

Mandatory updates
Botnet
Expensive as fuck for its specs.

Right.

I deliberately run android on my phone to avoid the Botnet.
>>
>>58173436
>x86 emulation on ARM
Fucking hell no
>>
>>58173436
Depends on the cost.
>>
>>58173517
If the fact that it might not come with Snapchat or Instagram influences your buying decision, I think you're on the wrong board.

Also
>what is bluestacks
>>
>full win 10
>x86 emulation with arm chip

Pick one
>>
>>58173534
In line with any Samsung, Apple or Google flagship
>>
>>58173559
>what is bluestacks
A piece of shit that drains battery, fucking idiot
Enjoy your 1 hour SoT shit phone
>>
>>58173479
x86 programs probably run like shit. You are probably only allowed to use the windows store so... Nobody cares. If not most if not all x86 programs are not touch friendly.

U S E L E S S
S
E
L
E
S
S
>>
>>58173559
It does influence my decision, phones are communications tools, if I cant do this properly on my phone, it is useless.

You know who is else will consider this when buying their phones? 98% of the market

Like I said, D.O.A.

Full windows on a phone is nothing but a gimmick, and its never going to happen.

>>what is bluestacks
lmfao
you are as delusional as it gets.
>>
I would consider it but I don't really like Microsoft's ecoystem and I'm too intertwined with Googles.

Already shitty there's no Google Maps, Youtube apps etc on Windows 10 tablets.
>>
>>58173436

Sounds like a niche device so it certainly would not be the end of any other platform.
>>
make it with a camera worthy of the lumia 1020 and im sold.
>>
>>58173559
>>what is bluestacks
>running an emulation on a emulation on a emulation

Oh yeah m8, I think you are into something here
>>
>Runs full Windows 10
Dropped as soon as I read that. I know people meme and such, but I'm being genuine.

It rarely happens, but I'm literally not going to purchase this device, no matter what, due to it having Windows 10 on it. It's that bad.

Unless of course, you can get Android on it, which you can't. You couldn't on the Lumia ones at least.

>Emulation of Windows applications
Great, that's what I want. Although, I'd expect that from Windows. They could salvage things if they play it right. Seems like they want full integration. Even Xbox One titles to work on Windows. Maybe that'll help them, but I don't know. Besides, who cares. It's not ARM. Big fucking deal. Android can do all the shit a shitty win32 application can do, but better. Root that shit and you have REAL applications designed specifically for any task at hand. I see no benefit to this.

>Snapdragon
Mmm, got me there.

>5.5" QHD Super AMOLED
There we go... Finally apologizing for the disaster Lumia was.

>4GB RAM
HAHHAHAHAHA

>microSD Expansion
ey thats pretty good

>Two ports
I like this... I've always wanted a phone with two. We'll see how this plays out.

Guess I'll just buy a OnePlus 5 and have a better experience all together.

So, no. The answer is no. Especially if the price is high end. There's no benefits to it. Just use Android, it's MUCH better. Or get an iPhone. At least you'll have apps. If, HOWEVER, they did what they did with the Lumia and made it very budget friendly (unlikely) then you might have something there, but then again... OnePlus exists... Chinkphones exist... And they're going to be better deals in the end.
>>
>>58173436
You're not going to win any supporters here. If you post any device from the big 3 (Google Pixel, Apple iShit, Microsoft Surface) you're going to be shit on by a sea of street shitting pajeets from OEMs that rely on the big 3 not competing.
>>
I feel like almost everyone in this thread is unaware of the fact that ARM based PCs will be available in 2017. The idea of a surface phone running full blown windows is not that much of a stretch.
>>
>>58173668
And it will be as big a success as windows phone was.
>>
>>58173559
It does have Instagram, but not Snapchat.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/top-free/apps/mobile

It didn't even have the main ones. A few years ago, Microsoft had to make the applications themselves. Now they got on board, barely.

There's also alternatives, which is unacceptable, but they're still there if you have no choice. I remember Steam needed an alternative just to use chat.

You can get a cheap Android device that MIGHT be worse than your fancy Surface thing, but it'll be a much better experience. At least you'll have stuff. PLUS, you can root it to make it more efficient. So, performance shouldn't be an issue.

Really no benefit to Windows Phone. Hasn't been for years and still isn't. Only card they can play is the budget one, which they're not really winning at. Considering you can get free Android devices these days just for signing up. Two, actually.
>>
>runs full windows 10
>on a smartphone

Is everyone here just a massive fucking toddler who wants a load of shit that can never work?
>>
>>58173702
Nope, Google just has a stranglehold on pretty much any social site on the internet.
If you say anything that even hints on being negative about Google on Hackernews, you'll be downvoted to oblivion.
Similar story on reddit.
On here you have really heavy shilling of Chromebooks, those shills even suggest that Chrome OS is less locked down than macOS, it's fucking ridiculous. There is no talk about Android tablets except for the Pixel C.
>>
>>58173436
DEAD ON ARRIVAL
>>
>>58173502
Youre gonna carry mouse and kb with you? 100% of the "apps" available for x86 are not touch optimized.
>>
>>58173784
Combination of the surface pen and on screen keyboard could easily solve that issue
>>
>>58173820
You are delusional if you think more than 5 people are going to be excited about a stylus being the primary input mechanism for their phone. A pen on a phone is only good when it is the exception like with the Galaxy Note. Surface phone in any incarnation is DOA.
>>
>>58173723
So if people like what you don't like they must be shills. Wow. I've only heard that like 15,834,432 times on the internet in the last month.
Have you considered that people actually like their Android phones and Chromebooks? Has that reality even crossed your mind once?
>>
It's like half the people in this thread don't even know about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U
>>
>>58173873
Google shill ps.
>>
I'll buy it as soon as someone is able to find a method of installing Android.
>>
>>581738756
Pretty much. They've clearly also never used a surface pen before either
>>58173856
>>
>>58173784
You don't know anything about how a program works do you. A click on an app is the same function as a touch on a phone.
>>
File: sadme.jpg (18KB, 460x228px) Image search: [Google]
sadme.jpg
18KB, 460x228px
>>58173887
>mfw I'll never be a Google shill.
Nothing better than getting paid for products you otherwise use for free.
>>
>>58173929
Oops was meant to reply to
>>58173875
>>
>>58173930

Oh sure, and so is right- or middle-tapping.
>>
>>58173856
Have you used a surface pen with say a surface pro? It's as good as the Note pen, if not even better
>>
>>58173929
>>58173945
So you're going to revert to Windows Mobile 6 with your faggy stylus? You are a set of one. The rest of the world has moved on.
>>
>>58173945
Yes, I have used a Surface Pro. It is a full sized tablet that runs full sized applications. Not a 5 inch cell phone. In case you haven't noticed, these two are quantitatively and quantitatively different. People have rejected using styluses on smartphones. No amount of marketing or fanboy shit is going to change that. You know why?
Because it sucks. Plain and simple. Using a stylus on a phone trying to manipulate desktop programs is a shitshow and nobody is going to give up their iPhone or their Galaxy to revert to that kind of torture.
>>
>>58173559
>If the fact that it might not come with Snapchat or Instagram influences your buying decision, I think you're on the wrong board.
fuck off faggot

OP specifically asked if it would be the end of iOS and android, and the answer is fuck no because of the reasons in the post you replied to
>>
>>58173436
X86 emulation is pretty stupid on a phone, however I think they something like that tabphone idea, let you pay $200-300 for a surface pro 4 shell to plug your phone into and then you get a full surface as well.
>>
No thanks, I'll stick to my Passport.
>>
>>58173436
>would it be the end of iOS and android?
No. Windows is fucking garbage as a tablet OS.
>>
>>58174076
That's an odd way to spell "wonderful"
>>
>>58173436
Why would anyone want a phone that randomly reboots and you have to use a stylus to use?
>>
>>58174081
That's a strange well to spell "complete shit."
>>
>>58174112
Quite a perplexing way to spell "awesome."
>>
>>58174081
Nope. It works okay for convertibles, since those are generally used more as laptops, but for everything else Android and iOS are much better. There is too much design inconsistency in Windows to make for a decent tablet-only experience. Which is why I've got high-end Windows tablets collecting dust while the iPads are actually being used. As a side note, I don't give anyone Android tablets either because they can't into enterprise management.
>>
>>58174081
look, the idea of a seamless environment sounds so amazing it almost makes me cum.
but literally no one has ever been able to implement it properly.

I wish i had a laptop running the same OS that runs on my phone and tablets, phablets, etc, and also had 95% market share in the world and was literally the best seamless environment ever.
>>
>>58174139
Nah, Windows is great on tablets. It can almost suffice on its own. My Venue 8 Pro was awesome but it's much better overall to have the option to dual boot into Android, even if I do rarely use it.

>>58174147
I never said Windows had a seamless environment or anything remotely along those lines.
>>
>>58174159
>I never said Windows had a seamless environment or anything remotely along those lines.
exactly
and that is why windows is not "wonderful"
ideally it would have been number 5 on the top OS list, but we are sadly missing at least 3 of the top 5, and it's a toss up between iOS and windows
>>
>>58174180
It doesn't have to be a seamless desktop/tablet OS to be wonderful as a tablet OS.
>>
>>58174180
I'd rate it after Android. iOS is dead easy for regular users. Android is good for power users. Both of them have consistent environments. Windows just half-asses everything.
>>
>>58174193
That's the problem. It's a desktop OS crammed into a tablet form-factor. Which makes for a poor user experience.
>>
>>58174193
i'd still call it only good.
iOS is much better than windows when it comes to being a no hassle seamless environment.

>>58174205
>Windows just half-asses everything.
ain't this the truth, and a heart breaking one too.

>android
i wish linux developers would do something about being seamless over all kinds of devices - wouldn't that be a nerdy wet dream come true?

>>58174217
this
>>
>>58174217
It makes a great tablet experience because you're not restricted to running cell phone software (you've also got to keep in mind I'm advocating for Windows in addition to Android, not in place of Android. (although tablets that only run Windows aren't too bad at all)).
>>
>>58174139
>>58174159
>>58174193
I concur with the first poster here. I have a Nexus 7, an iPad Mini 2, and a 10 inch Acer convertible/2-in-1 and the Acer literally does nothing but collect dust. I charge it once a month as a psychological ploy to feel like I didn't completely waste my money buying the thing.
The fact is, objectively speaking, Windows is tolerable on a tablet. However, it just doesn't measure up to Android and iOS at the things that make a tablet great. Windows 10 is clunky, it still has the schizophrenic bifurcation between built-in legacy apps and modern apps, the availability of touch-first apps is a joke compared to the millions in the Android/iOS ecosystems.
Basically, Windows is very good as a laptop OS or desktop OS but it's nowhere near the quality level of the competition on tablets and that isn't going to change no matter how much bleating we all hear from fanboys.
>>
>>58173436
>4GB ram

Can I flash clockworkmod recovery and use CyanogenMod instead? That would be rad considering the great specs and no decent apps otherwise.
>>
>>58174244
>iOS
I expect more out of a tablet than I do out of a phone and I don't even find iOS to be a suitable phone OS. It's absolute trash on tablets.

>>58174265
To each his own, I guess. I would never buy a tablet that didn't run Windows.
>>
>>58173436
>no mention of battery life
sounds about right
>>
>>58173436
microsoft blew it, they will never have the chance again to become a danger for google and apple.
>>
Everything except the x86 emulation sounds good. I'd give this a try.
>>
>>58174374
Not sure but anyone not retarded at Microsoft would probably throw in a 3500mAh battery at the very least. Also did a little reading around about the snapdragon 835 and quick charge 4 will be present. 5 hours of usage after a 5 minute charge apparently. That's pretty fucking impressive.
>>
>>58174413
See
>>58173875
>>
>>58173446
I love u
>>
Anyone know ay working ios ns servers for bypass. Or any tricks on how to bypass?
>>
>>58174374
>>58174436
Was meant to reply to
>>58174362

Fuck I'm so sleepy I can't even reply properly
>>
used a wp and swear ill never touch that shit again fuck wp
>>
>>58173436
>>complete emulation of x86 win32 applications
>>Snapdragon 835
Wouldn't it be easier to make the phone itself x86? I recently has a Zenfone 2, and that had an x86 processor.
>>
>runs full windows 10
>4GB ram
Yeah right, my Win 10 install ran like garbage until I put in another 8GB... and using a video card with less than 2GB of VRAM also brought performance down. Plus it's installed ion a SSD with 550MB/s r/w with 100K+ IOPS.

It's lighter with telemetry "disabled" (really noticeable on a Win 10 tablet I have) but I don't ever see a full version running on phones. It's just too power hungry.
>>
Lol are there still wangblows fone fangays out there?
>>
>>58173523
>I deliberately run android on my phone to avoid the Botnet.
>I deliberately run the phone OS created JUST to be a botnet to avoid the Botnet.

Genius.
>>
>>58174844
It's shit and intel already dropped it anyway
>>
>>58173502
normies don't give a shit about x86 applications, they want "apps" (phone shit).
>>
>>58175197
Not him but you realize that there are ROMs without Google shit right?

I don't even have a Google account or Google bloatware services, f-droid covers everything.
>>
>>58173523
thanks anon.
>>
>>58173526
/thread I'm hiding this thread now
>>
>>58175211
Yeah, I know, I had to use that phone, but what I'm saying is that it's possible on mobile. Hell, the only app I had that didn't work was Pokemon Go, everything else I ran on that phone worked fine.
>>
>>58175266
It's impossible now because intel atom line already discontinued. Future with better Core M and Core i maybe
>>
>>58173436

no lol.

now if it ran a x86 cpu. then maybe.

the emulation will never be perfect.
>>
>>58173436
Normies wouldn't buy it because the phone would behave like a computer, and nowadays it's all about scrolling and swiping.

Also, there's a good reason behind the fact that a mobile processor doesn't have an x86 architecture.
>>
>>58173820
You wouldn't see the fucking "app" because of the keyboard and pen
>>
>>58175238
>he thinks the shit pajeet puts out doesn't use his data
oml yerr duuuumb
>>
>>58173436
>Windows 10 phone
>in the middle of an important call
>your phone is restarting for 'essential' updates

No thanks.
>>
>runs full windows 10
Dropped like a hot potato.
>>
>>58173446

This.

It would be worse for personal privacy than lagdroid.

Apple may be far from perfect, but at least they have shown the stand up to privacy encroachment.
>>
>>58173784
Non-issue with Continuum and a display dock. It would still have access to the same touch optimized UWP apps on the Windows store as well.

OP is fucking retarded though. Why would it emulate x86 win32 applications with a full version of Windows 10 ? There are x86 processors that can be used in a phone.
>>
>>58173436
>4gb ram
>windows phone
>no snapchat
>no nudes
fuck off
>>
>>58173436

>IF Microsoft were to release such a phone next year, would it be the end of iOS and android? Would it be the perfect smartphone?

No.
OS is not a mobile focused OS
Nobody wants to deal with a desktop OS' problems when they just want to make a fucking phone call
>>
>>58173517
I want.
I want to get rid of my desktop and laptop and just plug my phone to the monitor and usb hub (with keyboard and mouse).
The future is here, nigger

>>
>>58176717
You baboon see
>>58173875
>>
>>58174553
>>58176803
Windows phone is a completely different operating system you faggots
>>
>>58173436
Actually the Surface Phone they want to release runs WM10 but emulates X86 in continuum mode
You can forget about multiple ports as well. But it will come in a variety of RAM and Storage with lowest RAM even 6GB.
>>58173456
No apps is a meme since everyone only thinks It's like this but it's not that bad. I have 200+ apps installed on my 950
>>58173614
Implying there's no YouTube app. Those 3rd party apps are better than anything Google can ever create themselves.
>>58173702
Never will happen on mobile
>>
>>58173517
>>58173526
>>58173569
>>58173592
>>58173640
>>58173702
>>58174031
>>58174413
>>58174844
>>58175474
>>58175475
>>58176717
Have you fucks been out of the loop or something?

https://youtu.be/A_GlGglbu1U
>>
>>58176867
still wont have snapchat so it still no nudes faggot
>>
windows phones will never get anywhere because there's no snapchat for them
>>
>>58176974
You can visit /b/ for your ladyboy nudes
>>
>>58176823
this
>>
Too big.
>>
>>58177345
It's what your mom told me last night.
>>
>>58173436
Depends on the price and the amount of marketing.
>win32 emulation
Keep on dreaming. It would be a pain the ass to use anyway.
>>
>>58177364
read
>>58176943
>>
>>58173436
M3 processor instead on snap and I'd bite.
>>
>>58173436
>x86
>phone
Pick one.
>>
>>58177396
you mean ARM CPU in a phone and x86 emulation
seriously, why are you kids too retarded to READ first and then POST?
Fucking /g/, purge this place and everything in it
>>
>>58173446
welcome to /g/, you'll fit right in
>>
>>58173436
We only need a phone with fully open drivers, so we can port any gnu/linux distro into it (with a properly adapted DE). With that we can run any free software ever developed on our phones.
>>
>>58177591
>what is nokia n900
>>
6/8 gb ram. Lumia quality camera or better. Wedon't need to compareit with iPhone or samshit cuz its a FACT that lumia is better for photography than anyof them
>>
>>58173436
>windows 10
doa
>>
>>58177604
I miss that legendary phone.
>>
>>58173502
so what dickhead, you can't use windows programs with a tiny screen and your fat finger for a mouse.
>>
>>58173436
>>4GB ram
Lol???
>>
>runs full windows 10
But why? Most people who use Windows intentionally want games. Would you play Civ 6, EUIV or STALKER in that screen? If you are going to just project it onto another screen and use dedicated keyboard and mice, you might as well get a laptop or whatever. If not for gaming, would you use Visual Studio on it? Or multimedia editing? I wouldn't. Not to mention Windows 10 is full of bugs that would fuck the experience of using it on a phone.
Why?
>Snapdragon 835
I don't even know how it performs. Calm down.
>5.5" QHD super amoled display with surface pen support
OK, but why would I need a Surface Pen in a screen so small?
>4GB ram
Is this 2015?
>64/128gb variants with micro SD expansion
If it runs a decent OS you shouldn't need 128. Just use a good SD card.
>multiple USB-C ports (2 minimum) with an array of adaptors available
Why?
>>
>>58178495
>Most people who use Windows intentionally want games
t. underage wintoddler
>>
>>58173436
does it support uefi exploits so i can install linux on it?
>>
>>58173559
if i wanted bluestacks I'd get a laptop you fucking idiot
>>
File: 1479467038812.jpg (58KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
1479467038812.jpg
58KB, 570x380px
>>58173436
>>runs full windows 10
>>complete emulation of x86 win32 applications
Might be useful with continiuum
>>Snapdragon 835
Who cares, as long as it isnt a battery guzzler
>>5.5" QHD super amoled display with surface pen support
>5.5"
Kys. How do you giantic faggots text with single had on those screens.
>>4GB ram
Seems fitting
>>64/128gb variants with micro SD expansion
Nice
>>multiple USB-C ports (2 minimum) with an array of adaptors available
Actually nice

>not mentioning battery life
Anything under two days with social media use is trash
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (8KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
8KB, 229x220px
>>58173436
>runs full windows 10

you might be able to rouse the morons with your bullshit yet engaging hypothetical scenario but I lol'd at these contradictory points
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.