[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ told me system adminstrators are dying and companies are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: gXyCMdx.png (152KB, 616x725px) Image search: [Google]
gXyCMdx.png
152KB, 616x725px
/g/ told me system adminstrators are dying and companies are no longer looking for them since most stuff is going on the cloud. Is this true /g/?
All my life i wanted to be a system admin and not some programmer neet. Should i be afraid my future job wont be a job anymore?
>>
It's all about the DevOps now.

It pays very well.
>>
>>58168354
As long as there are two people in this world, one will not trust the other with their data. Clouds are here to stay, but so are individual networks. Don't fear, anon.
>>
File: 12242016-Lockett01-780x536.jpg (88KB, 780x536px) Image search: [Google]
12242016-Lockett01-780x536.jpg
88KB, 780x536px
>>58168354

>/g/ told me
>>
>>58168366
what is a good book to learn about that nonsense?
>>
>>58168354
Wrong. go to any major corporation and government entity. There are literally thousands of sysadmins there.
>>
Everything is going to automated and AI'd to the point that all means of production are going to be owned by a few dozen plutocrats and maintained by a few thousand experts.

The rest of us will all be wearing pajamas or orange jumpsuits all day.
>>
>>58168418
You don't need a book desu.

All you need to do is create an AWS account (free), and make some Lambda functions with Python and boto (you get 1 million microseconds for free every month) to launch more lambda functions, which can then launch even more Lambdas.

That's basically what DevOps is -- writing code to orchestrate your infrastructure in teh cloudz.
>>
>>58168477
If they ever get over this plateau they're on.
>>
>>58168418
You can't really "learn" this kind of job. You get to it by having relevant work experience and education.
You can read all books you want, if you are some 23 year old kid who just graduated college don't expect to end up with devops position. No one wants kid who has never been put under real work pressure on any important position.
>>
>>58168511
Plenty of startups in the Bay Area will hire for dev ops out of college. You just need to know Python and have a basic understanding of infrastructure as code (namely, that you write code to automate the implementation of your infrastructure).
>>
>>58168511

Yeah but millennials have a terrible reputation for a lousy work ethic and a sense of entitlement. Employers don't want to take a chance until you've proven yourself not to be a snowflake and have a solid list of references to vouch that you can handle the Real World Pressures.
>>
>>58168573
You clearly don't work in the Bay Area...
>>
>>58168477
Retard.
>>
>>58168580

Oh dear god no! Flyover Great Lakes.
>>
File: 1479335617825.png (176KB, 441x421px) Image search: [Google]
1479335617825.png
176KB, 441x421px
>>58168511
I dunno, I only had two years of sysadmin experience + college and I landed a job like this at a big name company. I've had a promo since then but all in I'm making over 160k. When I started here I just turned 24.

>>58168573
I've never seen a trend of lazy millennials at work. If anything, the people my age that I've seen are the most open to change, long hours and logic. In fact, this demographic gets abused for it's willingness to get taken advantage of.
>>
File: 1473380686628.png (19KB, 931x969px) Image search: [Google]
1473380686628.png
19KB, 931x969px
>>58168354
I don't think it's dying, it is just shifting. Seek "systems engineering" or "devops" sort of positions now; know how to program at decent level but aspire to have some developer abilities.

You still need the admin knowledge/context but applied to a bit of a different stack. Know virtualization infrastructure like xen/kvm and get familiar with cloud offerings as well. Just because a company "goes to the cloud" doesn't mean their infrastructure is magically handled for them. There are some "serverless" memes out there but it isn't the norm and it's mountains of services on the backend that admins/engineers/devops manage and maintain anyways.

Developers are focusing on building the product, so you need to focus on enabling developers, by streamlining delpoyments, managing infra, etc.

Don't listen to /g/, hardly anyone here has a real job.
>>
Cloud is just jargon for "you do it for us".

The added level of data transmission means security will just become even that much more important.
>>
>>58168874
>>58168964
I'll hang around in this thread for a little bit if you have anymore questions OP.

tl;dr Learn some high level languages and have low level protocol/kernel knowledge as well and bridge the gap for others.
>>
>>58168511
you went to the wrong school if you didnt have to turn down job offers
>>
>>58168366

DevOps is a complete meme, like all things it will spin back round and people will either take stuff back in house or with colo DCs.
>>
>>58169189
Cloud services aren't about virtual machines. How are you going to bring the other services in the AWS portfolio in house when they are proprietary? Anyone can re-create vm infrastructure, but they are keeping you in their ecosystem with everything else. And if all you need are vms, you probably wouldn't be on AWS/GCE/etc to begin with.

Big companies will leverage economies of scale and bring features to the smaller fish who couldn't otherwise obtain them or would need to invest a lot more to re-implement. Other enterprises will also take advantage of this and pioneer the offerings (see: netflix).
>>
>>58169251

Oh I don't mind AWS, they do a good job but in fact its one one my projects next year is to descope a lot of the stuff we have for our Business Intelligence/Decision Science department back in house or to our colo DC.

My company went full retard with the cloud meme, now we have stuff scattered around in Rackspace, AWS, Google Apps, Oracle (unfortunately) and a co-location data centre where the majority of our core infrastructure services are hosted.
>>
>>58169323
Yeah I think it is important to consolidate and simplify wherever possible otherwise things get out of control quickly.

Research your workload before you decide to settle on one offering vs just running in house. No one does their homework anymore. Good infrastructure teams are those who know how their software operates and chooses the best location to optimize that.

I'm just arguing that it isn't a meme. This is a mainstream commoditization of infrastructure and services, and it is efficient and therefore will persist. Regardless of the scenario however, there is someone like you and I involved that should offer some reassurance to the OP.
>>
>>58168984
>Cloud is just jargon for "you do it for us".
THIS. These jobs and roles aren't going away, they're just being relocated off-site.
>>
>>58168496
>All you need to do is create an AWS account (free), and make some Lambda functions with Python and boto (you get 1 million microseconds for free every month) to launch more lambda functions, which can then launch even more Lambdas.
>
>That's basically what DevOps is -- writing code to orchestrate your infrastructure in teh cloudz.

Oh... I was doing DevOps without knowing it. I am currently trying to learn those lambda functions to avoid having a server do that job. Because we upload a bunch of files to AWS S3 buckets and I want to parse them into a database. I also have all sorts of other ideas.
>>
>>58168366
>DevOps
aka they expect you to do the job of a SysAdmin and a Programmer

aka the company is cheap and doesn't want to pay for specialization
>>
>>58169413

So, I'm the guy you replied to, and I do security in AWS. My company pays very well.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.