[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Chromebooks Good For Software Development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Chromebook.png (93KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook.png
93KB, 675x450px
Are Chromebooks acceptable for software development?
Granted I have space on external hard drives, etc., is doing coding, on a team, in an IDE, likely to be a pleasant experience using a Chromebook? I'm assuming the Linux version of IntelliJ works on Chrome, though maybe I'm wrong about that.

I know it's Unix-based, so that almost certainly means that, with the possible exception of C# .NET stuff, it will be better than Windows.
>>
Eh, do Chromebooks ever have enough RAM for that?
>>
>>58164227
Try c9.io.
>>
>>58164227
No Linux programs will work on a Chromebook out of the box. However it's not difficult to install another os on it (especially if you get an x64 Chromebook like the toshiba 2, which I use daily)

Still, Chromebooks only have about 10gb free space and really slow processors so you have to be prepared to deal with that.

>>58164479
I've never had problems with mine, but I only ever use vim for development, also I give it a gb of swap
>>
>>58165509
>Try c9.io.

Woah, this is bree cool

>>58165617
>Still, Chromebooks only have about 10gb free space and really slow processors so you have to be prepared to deal with that.

Are they all really slow processors? Don't some have quadcores?

>>58165617
>I only ever use vim for development
vim out the box, or have you seriously configured it? It's hard to imagine being a software engineer proper (TDD and all) without a good IDE on your side.
>>
>>58166339
>Are they all really slow processors? >Don't some have quadcores?
Some might be, but I think that most do not. Because I don't use too much heavy software the only time this is noticeable is when compiling big projects, so gentoo probably wouldn't be a good Chromebook distro ;)

>vim out the box, or have you seriously configured it?
I use a bunch of plugins with vim, it can be made competitive with good ides if you use it right.
>>
>>58164227
>is doing coding, on a team, in an IDE, likely to be a pleasant experience using a Chromebook?
If it's one that allows you to install another os on it, it might be. IntelliJ is a heavy IDE though, keep that in mind. There shouldn't be any other issues though.
>>
>absolute shit hardware from a decade ago
>Not even a proper OS
>$200/300 minimum
Are Chromebooks a bigger cashcow than Macs?
>>
>>58166597
>If it's one that allows you to install another os on it, it might be. IntelliJ is a heavy IDE though, keep that in mind. There shouldn't be any other issues though.
>>58166444
>gentoo probably wouldn't be a good Chromebook distro ;)
Truth be told, I generally only Virtual into Linux, and I feel like there's a lot of effort, and a lot of bugs that I've run into. Some of this is probably just VirtualBox, but I can't be sure.

But I hate Windows, too.
>>
>>58166619
>Are Chromebooks a bigger cashcow than Macs?
Macs, themselves, aren't really the cashcows -- If you look at the costs of the parts they're built with, there's not a serious markup. The biggest cash is in the proprietary stuff, whether it's expensive software, or hardware for some new type of non-USB port that will be obsolete in 3 years (Firewire? Thunderbolt? fuck that).
>>
>>58164227
The keyboard has a layout optimized for webrowsing.
And don't expect it to excel at anything other than that
>>
>>58166698
>The keyboard has a layout optimized for webrowsing.
Uuuh, no. The upper keys are all function keys which work fine if you're using a sensible operating system. The "search" key is actually super, and I find it to be in a much better place than normal keyboards. The only thing it doesn't have is f11 and f12 which are normally useless.
>>
>>58166638
You can have a virtual Linux environment on Chromebooks as well through crouton and chrx, though it'd probably be better to be native because of the small amount of Chromebook storage space.
>>
>>58166769
isn't the search key normally assigned as capslock on crouton?
and upper keys would have been better if it had Fx printed on it
>>
>>58166832
I think that crouton tries to mimic ChromeOS in how most buttons work, but the keycode from that key is super, and all native OSes will treat it as such.
I think that it would be better if the function keys were printed as such, but it's a minimal problem to me.
>>
>>58166832
You can change its function and all the other f-row keys aswell in ChromeOS's settings
>>58164227
Not really
Theyre good shitposting machinds and fun to tinker with but not much more intensive stuff than that
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.