[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could somebody please help me with understanding PCIe lanes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0816.png (2MB, 823x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0816.png
2MB, 823x1000px
Could somebody please help me with understanding PCIe lanes?

I have a 4790K with a Z97-ud5h mobo that has 20 pcie lanes. I have an RX 480.

I would like to add a second RX480 and an m.2 SSD, but will that consume too many lanes and throttle my components? Any advice would be great.
>>
You are aware than xfire 480 is objectively fucking awful and performs WORSE in 95% of games, right?
>>
Is that your mobo?

Because it only has 10gbps m. 2. Meaning it won't affect anything.

And it won't matter anyway sine the 32gbps m. 2 uses 4x of the pcie lanes.

So you still have enough if your gpus use 8x each. And even if your GPU used only 4x lanes you won't notice a performance drop.

BTW isn't z97 16 lanes only?
>>
>>58164010
Thank you, that makes sense.

>>58163998
I know it's poor in some games, but great for others. I may just hold off and try to sell the card when AMD releases vega.
>>
>>58164010
I think you're correct about 16 lanes.
>>
>>58164010
With crossfire, you would notice a performance drop between 16 and 8 lanes. What you say is true for single cards.
>>
>>58164294

If it has that then just run the second GPU on 4x lanes and you are good to go.
>>
I can understand SLI/CF high end cards (You want the best and don't care about the consequences). But after all these years its still a wonder why people still SLI/CF low to midrange cards together instead of buying a really good single card. You get hit or miss scaling, compatibility issues (Have to cross your fingers if they get fixed) and always some level of microstutter.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.