[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The smart tv sticks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: 9999119_sd.jpg (166KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
9999119_sd.jpg
166KB, 1000x562px
What is the point of these.The apple tv,android tv,amazon fire.They seem pointless because most new already come with smart tv build in.
>>
most people don't buy a new tv for the lulz
>>
All the experience I've had with smart TV's have left a bad taste in my mouth. My first gen chromecast is still fast and still works great and for $35 it's amazing
>>
>>58159328
all i can speak on is chromecast, but even with a smart tv, it allows you to project your phone or computer to the tv which is as useful as you can find applications for
>>
I'll give you several reasons:

1. Makes a regular TV smart
2. Is in most cases better than what smart TVs have to offer, is better interface, apps, and 4k apps (with the exception of TVs that have Roku or Android TV built in).
3. Offers exclusives apps that don't exist elsewhere (ex I use my fire stick exclusively for its sling player app).
4. Can be extremely customizable in case of the fire TVs and Android TV boxes.
>>
>>58159446

I'll second this. SmartTVs are a meme. They rarely get updates for very long and they're always slower than external alternatives.

Built-in media players are the modern version of the built-in GPS units they used to put in cars.
>>
>>58159880
>this
my sony tv is a smart tv but i dont even use the smart features on it, i use an xbox instead because its faster
>>
i put a roku on a 10 year old POS tv thats in my garage.
works pretty well. i use it for plex/hulu
>>
>>58159328
Smart TVs are fucking shit
>>
It pisses me off that its so hard to find a "dumb" tv these days

They all come with 3D and dumb apps that get no updates
>>
>>58159328
Older smart TV's are starting to feel very sluggish.
>>
File: jewshown.png (138KB, 354x504px) Image search: [Google]
jewshown.png
138KB, 354x504px
>>58160242

What a perfect time to (((upgrade))).
>>
>>58159328

I know you can jailbreak the amazon fire and watch p2p pirate movies from China on it. If you're too stupid or poor to use a computer it's the next best thing.
>>
>>58159328
all 4K TVs are smart TVs, and most 1080p ones are too. But as they age, you upgrade the streaming hardware with these. the first generation of Smart TVs are aging out their streaming hardware, so it's either this or a new TV.
>>
I have a Panasonic plasma with limited built in apps (Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu). Once I got a Chromecast, I stopped using any of the apps.

I also got a Fire Stick for my TV. I also take the fire stick with me on the road and use it at hotels.
>>
Kodi on Amazon FireStick is pretty legit.
>>
>>58159328
Smart TVs are generally shit at the smart part is one reason. The other reason is that this cheap fucking device is a hell of a lot more reasonable of a purchase than a new TV.
>>
>>58159328
They run Plex

They do it better than a smart TV
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 920x1232px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 920x1232px
are there any $25 chromecasts left? Google's own prices are lying to me
Please is for my dying parents
>>
what do these things do?
>>
>>58161722
Turns your tv into a low power wifi connected netflix machine, among other apps and programs. Some have remotes or can be controlled with phone
>>
>>58161463
If you can prove your parents are dying, I'll personally buy you one gift wrapped.

You can't though because it's a fucking lie.
>>
>>58159328
BOTNET
>>
File: image.png (143KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
143KB, 300x346px
>>58161771
Yeah sorry, it's only my mom and she actually already died of heart attack and came back
I would've bought a chromecast for Christmas earlier if I wasn't busy but you know, hospital
>>
>>58161794
Tell her to stop eating donuts. I bet she's overweight.

If she's a smoker, that's cool though.
>>
>>58161848
Results said that her decades of smoking and overweight is harmless from what can be seen
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 460x276px
>>58161864
So I figure having her sit on her ass and watch Hulu is a good enough present
>>
>>58159446
5. You can replace the "smart" part when it becomes obsolete/unsupported in a couple years without replacing the "TV" part
>>
What's the best kodi box available in the UK for streaming 1080p? Under ~£100
>>
The only "Smart TV" things my TV can do is watch youtube and a broken opera browser.

Fucking un-upgradable smart tvs, I prefer a box or a stick I can just throw out and get a better one a few years down the line.
>>
File: whore.gif (22KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
whore.gif
22KB, 500x345px
>>58162287
Why don't you just change your TV for a better one?
>>
>>58159328
smart tvs are shit

buy a fire stick/chromecast/chinese tv boxes

don't buy roku because you are limited to what they come with
>>
>>58162306
I don't really feel the need to upgrade my TV at this point in time.

It's a 40" 1080P 10Bit Sharp G10 UV2A panel.
4K, HDR and OLEDs are not worth it until a couple more years at least.
>>
SmartTVs are a huge meme.

Manufacturers build it in because it adds very little to the cost but it sells.
>>
>>58159880
The built in GPS was semi useful. smart tv stuff built in is a fucking bad joke, that runs like shit, and spazzes out and doesnt stream anywhere as fast or well as a dedicated device like a stick or box. you arent going to install kodi on your built in smarttv.
>>
I turned my fire stick into a kodi machine so they're useful for that at least
>>
Smart TV is shit
>not maintained
>slow-ass hardware
>Proprietary software or nearly as much (Tizen, WebOS)
>no security updates
Planned obsolescence. In 3 none of the apps will work and enjoy your botnet node
>>
Some of us are still stuck with our 10 year old Sony 1080p dumb TVs because 55" Sonys don't fail every 3 years.

I actually wish this thing would fail sometimes so I'd have an excuse to upgrayyd.
>>
>>58159328
>Amazon Fire TV stick
>Sideload Kodi
>Working streamer right there
Dumb cunt
>>
File: figure3new-without-logo_0.jpg (98KB, 660x431px) Image search: [Google]
figure3new-without-logo_0.jpg
98KB, 660x431px
Considering its easy to get malware or spyware on smart tvs you would be wise to block all connections to the TV unless there is a firmware upgrade you need.
>>
I have a Kodi box (MXIII I think) and it works great for what I use it for. Got it for like $80 and have it connected to my NAS. Lags a little bit from time to time but it's what you'd expect from an $80 Android box.
>>
>>58159328
Because you won't be finding built in smart TV features in a classic Trinitron anytime soon.
>>
>>58164722
>Considering its easy to get malware or spyware on smart tvs
how does this happen exactly? what would a person have done on their tv to get this?
>>
>>58165430
if it is connected to the internet with trash security (i.e. every single IoT thing out there), it can get fucked over by malware.
>>
>>58159328
Is this bait?...only reason anyone buys a firestick or equivalent is to put kodi on them,who watches them legit!! Kek
>>
>>58165516
but wouldn't you need to go to a dodgy site using the browser? or could it still get you if you're just watching netflix etc?
>>
>>58165641
He means that a smart TV can have shit like admin access from the outside with default password, because no one gives a shit about security.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.