[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lenovo Superfish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Looking to get a Lenovo laptop with DOS. Will I still be affected by Superfish if Windows isn't preloaded on my laptop by Lenovo?
>>
>>58147180
>Will I still be affected by Superfish if Windows isn't preloaded on my laptop by Lenovo?
No, but Lenovo is also known for installing rootkits on their systems that will affect any version of Windows installed on the machine ever.

In general, when a company shows that they're blatantly hostile to their users, you stop using them entirely. You don't pick through their lineup for products that don't have known issues and just hope they didn't deign to infect those too
>>
>>58147221
What are these rootkits you speak of?
Care to provide the proofs, proofster?
>>
>>58147221
I wouldn't get a Lenovo, but they are giving great features at an unbeatable price. Dell laptop with the same features is expensive.

So, if I get a lenovo laptop, wipe the hard rive completely and install my own copy of Windows on it, I'd be safe from superfish and other spyware.

What if I install Linux? Will that make it safe?

Should I just buy a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled? That way I'll know it is compatible with Linux.
>>
>>58147270
Do a basic fucking google search
https://www.google.com/search?q=lenovo+rootkit
>>
>>58147278
>if I get a lenovo laptop, wipe the hard rive completely and install my own copy of Windows on it, I'd be safe from superfish and other spyware.
You'd be safe from superfish, but not all other spyware lenovo has in its history.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 601x508px)
image.jpg
41KB, 601x508px
>>58147221
>posted from Windows 7
Am I right or amirite
>>
>>58147270

They stuff code in the ACPI tables that Windows searches for and runs.

The only way to escape it is to

> install gentoo
>>
>>58147306
You're not. Debian Stretch
>>
>>58147305

Hold on. How will spyware even exist when I've wiped the drive?

Once I have wiped the drive, installed a fresh copy of Windows, and taken all precautionary measures(AV, Firewalls, ad-blockers), how would that make the laptop any more vulnerable to malware than a Dell or HP laptop simply by the virtue of being a Lenovo machine?
>>
>>58147348
They infect the BIOS chip on the motherboard with malware that will copy itself to your hard drive on boot if it's not already present.
>>
i had not heard about this till now ands googling it makes my fucking blood boil i pay upwards of 2-3000 dollars for your product and you STILL want to shove ads in my fucking face? go fuck yourself lenovo i have never bought a laptop from these assholes and now i never will fuck lenovo they go on my do not trust list along with biostar asrock and MSI
>>
Install coreboot.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.