[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic my distro now.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: freebsd.png (36KB, 485x175px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
36KB, 485x175px
Okay /g/ i am looking to install a new Distro. Any distro is welcomed, and i will try it if i like it.

Mostly i will be in the terminal, and have a web browser open, so i don't need much. I'll be using i3 window manager as my Wm.

Not in the "Hur dur freesoftware" circle jerk, so options like Ubuntu and other "Non-free" distros are allowed.

My computing fate lays in your hands. Go.

Pic not related, just found it in my pic folder and thought it would fit the theme.
>>
File: solus-circle.png (32KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
solus-circle.png
32KB, 512x512px
install solus
>>
File: dblkxmj0ix4y.png (22KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
dblkxmj0ix4y.png
22KB, 1000x1414px
Give Arch Linux a try
>>
>>58138445
Already tried it. Too be honest, i dislike it. It's okay, but not enough packages, and installing stuff is really hard to do. For instance it took me 4 hours to install Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>58138469
Like you, I wanted a clean OS with only the packages/programs that I really want to use. Get satisfied with bleeding edge packages and AUR.

I don't find hard install things here... Like your's https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=dwarffortress
>>
O p e n B S D
>>
>>58138469
>not enough packages
>installing things is hard
...W-what?
The best thing about arch is that it has so many packages, because of the aur.
And theres no possible way pacman is hard, so I have to imagine youd mean installing aur packages is hard, but...yaourt.
Did you not use an AUR helper like yaourt or something?

You dont have to use arch but that is literally the polar opposite of everything I've experienced with it.
I say use arch or debian testing, they sound like good fits, though.
>>
>>58138724
>You dont have to use arch but that is literally the polar opposite of everything I've experienced with it.
Exactly what I thought.

>AUR helper
And I never used yaourt. Just pacaur. Everything's fine for more than 1y4m
>>
>>58138314

Void Linux

>created by NetBSD dev
>>
>>58138314
Just install Ubuntu, it has the best support and lots of PPAs.
>>
>>58138724
>I say use arch or debian testing, they sound like good fits, though.
I don't know why people freak out with rolling releases. I don't even get ANY problem having an up-to-date package. The only problem was with nvidia driver, but searching about it I find that all other distros have the same issue (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.)

The best change I ever made in my experience with linux was trashing Ubuntu to use Arch.
>>
>>58138314
Debian. The only distro you will ever need.
>>
>>58138809
Bloat and Amazon spyware.
>>
File: debian.png (20KB, 330x315px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
20KB, 330x315px
>>58138314
testing/sid
>>
>>58138314
Debian by day, BSD by night, Arch on the weekends. Gentoo on the sabbath.
>>
>>58138869
It doesn't enable amazon spyware by default anymore you mongoloid.
and >muh bloat
Get a computer from 2010 or later.
>>
>>58138934
>>58138809
OP wants to do stuff mostly from the terminal and use i3.
is ubuntu really the best choice here?
>>
install gentoo
>meme factor
>no bloat
>customizable
>excellent community
>>
>>58138934
OH MY GOD! THE SPYWARE IS DISABLED?
>Why isn't UNINSTALLED, faggot?

And yes! I really hate uninstall packages that I don't use back when I was with Ubuntu. The issue is not having an modern pc, but having things that I don't need and don't want to use installed.

Answering the OP, choosing your Ubuntu they'll have to uninstall a FUCKATON packages, including your spyware, dumbass.
>>
>>58138969
Yeah just install i3 and use that.

This poster here: >>58138994 is just an autist that wastes his time """optimizing""" his computer by uninstalling stuff from his 500 GB SSD.
>>
>>58139477
thats retarded, anon. Ubuntu is obviously a bad choice here. Just not the best option for what OP wants to do. Yet you recommend it just to be a contrarian hipster to /g/, and signal to them how they're a bunch of "autistic losers", and that you by comparison are "normal"
This is not how normal, well adjusted people behave anon.
>>
install Gentoo. Not even memeing. Best distro I've ever used
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.