[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you /g/uys prefer Xubuntu over Manjaro XFCE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: xubuntu-logo-45.png (4KB, 216x45px) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu-logo-45.png
4KB, 216x45px
>>
apt-get
>>
I prefer Debian with XFCE over both of those.

>>58135944
Uh oh, anon. Get ready for unsupported claims that apt-get is shit.
>>
Why do you prefer Manjaro with XFCE over Arch with XFCE?
>>
>>58135994
>I prefer Debian with XFCE over both of those.

mein neger

plain XFCE >>>>> riced trash like xubuntu
>>
>>58135714
>/g/ is one person
I don't. Manjaro is far superior to Ubuntu due to how it pre-installs all the needed proprietary drivers if you choose to go non-free. Plus it has access to the AUR which automatically makes it better than apt-get.
>>
File: q9Bhh9d.jpg (146KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
q9Bhh9d.jpg
146KB, 1160x629px
>>58135714
Fedora Xfce is the superior choice.

Fite me.
>>
Why do you prefer distro over kernel with a ton of packages?
>>
File: 1482456889286_2.png (469KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482456889286_2.png
469KB, 714x1000px
>>58136044
>he doesn't give a thumbs up
He's a really old meme I guess
>>
>>58135994
I would do this but Debian has trouble with some of my hardware and I'm too lazy/busy to troubleshoot.
>>
>>58135714
I prefer MATE over Xfce. MATE sees much more regular development than Xfce. Not that you NEED regular updates for a desktop environment, but Mate feels a lot more modern. (IE no fucking about with applet nonsense)

Just as stable, just as light on resources, it just werks
>>
>>58135994
What benefits has it over ubuntu with xfce?
>>
>>58135714
Manjaro had some annoying stability issues on both PCs I've installed it on, yet Xubuntu has only had one very minor issue on my newest PC which seems to have been fixed after an update last week.

Xubuntu just werks.
>>
>>58137408
Comfy
>>
>>58137542
What kind of stability issues?
>>
>>58135714
why not just do this

if [ -r insert favorite distro]; then
startxfce4
else
STFU
fi
>>
>>58135714
Lack of knowledge. Next question.
>>
>>58137791
It would sometimes freeze completely, forcing me to hold the power button to shut it off. Sometimes, Xfce would crash and reset all settings. This shit just happened out of nowhere while shitposting here and listening to music. Using different browsers and music players had no effect.
>>
>>58137904
>Lack of knowledge.
I'm curious as to how many people on /g/ grew out of the tryhard distros meme. I did the whole Arch/Gentoo thing for years but these days I want something that just werkz and I don't trust a distro based on Arch to give me that experience.

Xubuntu is fantastic. I wonder what happened to their Xubuntu Core idea, though.
>>
>>58137982
Only once i've seen something similar like that when I was using a computer that had AMD FX-8350 cpu and some random Asus motherboard. After a while it turned out that the motherboard was failing and I got a new one as a replacement, everything worked after that. This was about 2 years ago and I have had no problems since.
>>
>>58136044
Fedora is for people who wear fedoras desu.
>>
>>58138021
> the tryhard distros meme

I wrote a makefile to cross compile my boxes
>>
>>58138059
>Works on my machine.
>>
>>58138087
Works on other machines too, that was only one that had a similar problem so I told about it, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>58135714
I have a GTX 750 Ti, and the nvidia driver versions 367-375 all have major screen tearing issues with xfwm4. so, i chose xubuntu 16.04 because it is not rolling release, meaning it actually keeps more than one version of a driver, so it has the option of installing an older driver that works (version 340). also im not going to mess with the muddy process of installing binary drivers
>>
>>58137408
It just werks, once you set it up you forget it's even there and you have 2 years of peace of mind
>>
>>58138021
I did Arch for a while, but wound up going back to Mint.
>>
>>58135714
While we are at it.

I have done a Ubuntu 16.10 minimal install. Now I want to put on a DE and xorg server.

1. xfce4 xfce4-goodies
2. xubuntu-desktop

Which one? I want a lightweight system that works with Compton compositor and has some basic utilities like network manager and power manager.

I am confused as fuck right now.
>>
>>58135994
Same here. I like MATE just a bit more than XFCE though.
>>
>>58138182
use the nvidia ppa and get the newest drivers, they have the forcefullcompositionpipeline option in the nvidia settings now
>>
>>58140137
newest driver is version 375, also has screen tearing issue in xfwm4
>>
File: manjarolol.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
manjarolol.png
1MB, 1024x768px
but I don't
>>
>>58140241
i'm using 375 with an gtx 960 and do not have tearing, you need to enable the compositionpipeline on each monitor
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.