[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raspberry Pi 3 B

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 11

File: pi3b.jpg (20KB, 355x228px) Image search: [Google]
pi3b.jpg
20KB, 355x228px
What are the best uses you have found hands down?
>>
>>58134505
>I bought this cause of hype and memes,now I will try squeeze some lemons out you guys cause i have no clue what to do with mine.
>>
>>58134505
ubiquitu software for the AP, Zabbix and sabnzb. Although I don't recommend running sabnzb on it.
>>
>>58134505
Control home surveillance and security cameras
Big advantage of SBCs: You can use cheap mass-produced USB battery packs as uninterruptible power supplies.
Even a 10000 mAh USB battery can power an RPi for many hours.
>>
>>58134505

Home music server connected to all my speakers, also accessible on my phone on the go.

Also made a key fob reader for my front door i can open with my phone
>>
I bought a bunch of these and some of those mini NES consoles. Tore out the guts of the consoles, set up retropi with a massive library and the ability to add more via an extra pair of USB ports I added onto the front. Sold the modified consoles for $1600-$1800 each.
>>
Pi-hole
>>
File: 1482505879343.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1482505879343.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
RetroPie and OSMC
>>
>>58136028
This.
I also put Kodi on one and installed Exodus for free shit.
>>
>>58134505
mine is in my pot plant with a temp/humidity sensor, and soil moisture sensor. probably should have got an arduino for this purpose but if you want network connectivity rpi seems cheaper
>>
Retropie for sure. With a case, you have a home console that plays everything from Atari to PSX.
>>
>>58134505

(troll-)bots, crawlers, onionscan and similar
>>
>>58134505
Make intel Celeron J1900 motherboards look like a good deal.
>>
>>58134505
server/desktop
>>
Kodi. Fuck smart tvs with their shitty ui and fuck tv network with their ads.
>>
>>58136732
Try ESP8266 my friend
>>
I used to run a mumble server from it, now i run an OpenTTD server from it.
>>
Mine waters my plants, monitors humidity/temp and turns the grow lights on and off.
>>
Using an SJWpi....ever...there are better less shit alternatives.
>>
>>58138960
with less community support

you can google "raspberry pi start program on boot" and get 200 newbie guides which is the actual appeal of a raspberry pi, newbie remote linux access
>>
>>58138960
Yeah, with support dropped after a year and no community.
>>
>>58134562
why the fuck would you butcher a NES for tha-
>1600 dollars
holy shit anon
>>
>>58134562
No god damn way you found someone stupid enough to pay that price. $500 would be extreme.
>>
Normie Tier: Buy a I2S DAC for it, load up volumio onto it. Use it airport music player and playing placebo tier audio files and also spotify.
>>
Home automation.
>>
>>58140698
I have my pi zero set up as a homebridge server so i can turn off outlets via siri.

6 dollar sonoff relays are great if you can tinker a bit.
>>
File: my-pi-3.jpg (74KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
my-pi-3.jpg
74KB, 700x525px
>>58134505
Make it a home backup server:
Step 1: allow ssh
2. put in usb drive or hard drive connected by usb
3. set up chron job to backup a folder from the sd card to the drive
4. use rsync to send files from your laptop

End result is three copies of your data, two of which are not on your laptop.
>>
>>58134505
Hijacking this thread. I've got a beaglebone that I used for libreboot and wanted to use as a seedbox, but I don't torrent much anymore. Give me uses.
>host sites through le cloud provider
>barely torrent anymore and got sick of private trackers
>don't listen to enough music to keep an MPD server running
>i2p is lacking content (but this will probably be what I end up doing with it)
>don't use TV so no home server
I saw a cute home server UI that had nekopara characters on it, and that encourages me to set one up.
>>
>>58136393
this
>>
>>58134505
I actually recently thought about this

You know how with cars, there's two buttons, lock and unlock? Well why can't we have a similar system with house door locks?

You know, have a raspberry pi set up with a transceiver, have it lock the door when sent a signal, have it be unlocked when sent another signal.

I was just looking if anyone already did this or not.
>>
>>58140734
I want to do that and host a perforce repository, is there a good cheaper alternative for this or RPI is the cheaper?
>>
I was recommended Raspberry Pi by my professor at college to get further into coding. my family and i are very poor but the amount of money that a raspberry pi would cost me seems like a doable expense. Its the only thing i've asked for as a christmas gift and >>58134512 is making me question if i should have not asked for it and told my parents to save the money. is >>58134512 just being a grinch or did i ask for a paperweight.
>>
>>58141085
If your budget for something that can do light programming is under 50 bucks, then a RaspberryPi can work for you. Most of us have multiple PCs and just meme the Pi for small projects that most of us never actually do or have a real use for.

You'd still need peripherals like a keyboard and monitor of course.
>>
>>58134505
RetroPie and Kodi
>>
>>58141085
Alternatively, hold out for a cheap chromebook or thinkpad from craigslist. You can also use online IDEs like Cloud9 for free from a school computer.
>>
>>58141125
Thank you, that's very reassuring.
>>58141228
Ill look more into this 'cloud9' thing as you mention
>>
>>58140819
git repositroy, vpn
>>
Gogs server.
>>
>>58141125
This. I have a pi I never use because I have a desktop, two laptops, a nas server, and a box full of parts with which I could probably build another computer or two. If you don't have this kind of surplus the pi would be okay for writing basic server apps and the like.
>>
>>58140734
it could be somewhat slow for that and I would not recommend nobody to write that much dat on the sdcard, they are prone to failure, specially if they are cheap sd cards.
>>
>>58141597
I write to the sd card because my files total in the megabyte range.

Backing up directly to a hard drive (or two) is also possible.

But you are right I should have mentioned that.
>>
>>58138751
So much this. Kodi is the best thing to use with a rasp pi!

Plus slap in exodus and you can get the latest shit to watch
>>
Sell it, buy an Odroid.

Don't buy Shitberry Pi.
>>
>>58141643
yeah, I didn't meant to sound like an asshole but I got one myself and while digging around about what could you do, a lot of people were complaining about that.
I have one running pihole at the family business office and I plan to get one to do that at least too at home.
>>
>>58134505
I use it as an IDS/IPS for my network. Block malware DNS servers, monitor any data leaks as well as any scanning done on me (especially I live in an urban environment)

Does the job perfect as an IDS/IPS/Firewall
>>
>>58141663
Van you run the xu4 on batteries?
>>
>>58141663
Can you use the same software you would use for the pi on the odroid? The XU4 looks like a beast.
>>
>>58141698
Yes, but it uses a lot of power (compared ot a Pi) so it isn't very feasible.

>>58141746
Depends on the software in question. Most linux distributions with ARM architecture work with the XU4, but distros specifically designed for the Pi likely won't.
>>
>>58134505
i've got mine running osmc with a load of addons, runs with no problems
>>
>>58134512

I don't know why people struggle to find uses for this thing. Mine:

-hosts my mail server
-hosts my seedbox
-hosts my blog (LMAO)
-hosts my vpn server
-hosts my dns cache

And that's just some of the stuff you can do with only standard packages. It also does some stuff with some scripts I wrote myself.
>>
I'm genuinely curious, what's the point of a Raspberry Pi?

I have an ancient Atom D525 motherboard and it works quite well for all the small tasks I have. Current embedded x86 motherboards shouldn't be too expensive either. Why not just use one of those?
>>
>>58141925
>-hosts my mail server
How to make your shit not marked as spam? Also do you use a web frontend and if yes which one?
>-hosts my seedbox
I ran usenet on mine and it was a shit experience. Actually works decent with torrents?
>-hosts my vpn server
The throughput is just to shit. I rolled my own pfsense box with VPN. I reach 800MBps in throughput.
>>
>>58142005
Cheap, low power, lots of support and prefabs and tutorials for people who don't know much about embedded systems.
>>
>>58141690
>Does the job perfect as an IDS/IPS/Firewall
any setup guides to get that up and running?
>>
>>58142070
It's lacking a lot of features, though. Like proper networking or SATA ports. that excludes many potential uses.

The way I see it, you might as well buy an Atom/Celeron Mini-ITX board for 10$ more and have a lot more options.
>>
>>58142092
You have GPIO on the rpi. It's enough to fuck around with home automation and other fun shit like turning a led on and off.
>>
>>58142005
>Around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today

http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/
>>
>>58142092
It's an entry level consumer product. It sacrifices features and markets itself on ease of use for beginners instead. No one said it's cutting edge or superior, it's just a cheap first car for new drivers.
>>
>>58142005
>Why not just use one of those?
Because you already have spare shit to use you dope.

The PI was created as a cheap learning tool as an entry point to computing/electronics/programming. Not for faggots to buy a fistful and post on the internet about what to do with them.
>>
>>58142068
>How to make your shit not marked as spam?

Set up your mail server properly so it can't get hijacked by spammers. Failing to do so will get your server put on blacklists, which take a while to expire. Make sure your DNS has SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records set up.

There are mail stacks that you can install like iRedMail and MailCow, that will handle all the setup for you, save for the DNS bits.

>I ran usenet on mine and it was a shit experience. Actually works decent with torrents?

Seems to run fine for me.

>The throughput is just to shit. I rolled my own pfsense box with VPN. I reach 800MBps in throughput.

The throughput probably is shit. I don't use it as a forwarding VPN, I use it as a "traditional" VPN, for the purposes of accessing my local network from a remote one.
>>
>>58142162
>Set up your mail server properly so it can't get hijacked by spammers. Failing to do so will get your server put on blacklists, which take a while to expire. Make sure your DNS has SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records set up.
>There are mail stacks that you can install like iRedMail and MailCow, that will handle all the setup for you, save for the DNS bits
Thanks. Going to try it out.
>>
>>58142092
>buy an Atom/Celeron Mini-ITX board for 10$ more and have a lot more options.
The fuck are you talking about? You'll also need a CPU, Memory, and a Hard drive, that's far beyond the cost of a little Pi.
>>
>>58134512
Hey are you me?
>>
>>58140734
>chron
end your life
>>
>>58142202

If you're hosting this on a residential connection like me, you might want to check if your IP is listed here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

It might already be listed under the PBL, which is a listing of consumer pool IP addresses. Most mail servers will block these addresses. If that's the case, you could use a "smarthost" that will forward your mail on your behalf. A service like MailJet will give you come bandwidth for free, usually more than enough for a personal server.

If you do this, thought, you'll have to be very careful you don't wind up becoming a spam relay. These services track spam reports very closely.
>>
>>58142162
Some email providers blacklist residential IPs, which means you need a proper static IP to reach them.
>>
>>58142208
>CPU
Comes on the motherboard, whole package runs around 45$
>Memory
Shouldn't be very expensive, you won't need a lot of it
>Hard drive
You'll need an SD card for your Pi
You'll might need a mini HDMI adapter for your Pi
You'll probably need a dedicated USB charger for your Pi.
>>
>>58142303
fugg both my VPS IP range and home connection is there. Going to have to reconsider rolling my own shit unless I go the relay route.
>>
>>58142301
>still using cron instead of chron

Enjoy not using the most cutting edge software, gayboy. :^)
>>
>>58142341
>Comes on the motherboard, whole package runs around 45$
Could you show me? I'm genuinely interested now.
>>
>>58136393
i bought a touchscreen for my retropie but the output always goes to HDMI and when i switch to terrminal it uses de little screen, retropie trolling me hard :S
>>
>>58136779
Does it play PS1 games well?
>>
>>58142434
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157594

There are more expensive ones with intel chips for 55$+, but this one is the same price as a RasPi
>>
Getting one for Christmas. Getting openELEC and Conq. It's going to be ultimate comfy for watching films [spoiler]and anime{/spoiler]
>>
>>58142380
You need one that allows for "transactional email", that's what's it's called when you send them individually and for a specific purpose.

You'll also need to configure your SMTP server to relay to that host, but most of smarthosts provide tutorials on how to configure their services with postfix.
>>
>>58134505
Throwing them in the trash because they're fucking pieces of shit

>all distros are shit
>all hardware drivers are shit
>all software is shit
>too slow to run a web browser properly
>too slow to run anything else properly either
>proprietary garbage everywhere
>>
>>58142587
Why don't you make better distros, drivers or software, then?
>>
>>58134505
Buttplug.
>>
3D printer controller

Want to make an infrared viewer next.
>>
okay so i just undusted my pi 3 which i have barely ever used since i got it after hearing about kodi

now i want to know which "OS" is the best to use for kodi? currently on osmc but it feels kind of clunky. i was thinking maybe libreelec is faster and more snappy since it's just a barebones kodi "OS", is that so?

also, any other cool things you can configure to do in kodi other than playing your media and using media addons like exodus?
>>
I have Retropi, OSMC, and Debian all on the same SD card and use it as a little media center. The Debian install is just so I can use Moonlight stream and play games on my PC from my living room. Picked up a USB ethernet adapter for this because it's a bit faster than the Rpi2 onboard one. I also have a USB coax plug and set up OSMC to use as a DVR, writing to a thumb drive.
>>
>>58143078
That's the same reason i picked up openelec at first, but switched to OSMC because it let me use perl to automatically download the latest TV schedule without having to modify and compile it myself like i would have had to do with openelec. I guess it's just a question of hi what you want from it and how willing and competent you are at getting it to do it.
>>
>>58143078
I've tested xbian, openelec and raspbmc on rpi 1 and only xbian ran satisfactory. Now I've moved to rpi 3 and xbian also works great. I haven't tested libreelec, so you may want to try that.
>>
>>58134505
I'm using one with a hifiberry for Runeaudio. But it's sort of wasted on it, since the Pi2 does the same job Volumino (or the other way round, I can't even remember).

You get the most for your money probably with Kodi though.
>>
>>58138960
I'm pretty sure this thing doesn't have enough processing power to form social or political opinions.
>>
>>58134505
I use it as an ADS-B radar to feed FR24's system. I get a business account for free in return.

> Check it out

http://ads-b.hayastan.tech:8080/
>>
>>58134505
Putting them in a drawer and pretending I'm gonna do something with them. When in reality in just going to impulse buy them one after the other
>>
>>58134562
Also my dad works for Nintendo
>>
>>58134505
>place under door
>door stays open
>>
I use them to play videos in "Escape Rooms" that I build puzzles for. Python's "pexpect" library works great for controlling omxplayer based on GPIO inputs.

For seamless transition between videos, I open video 2 and pause it, then open video 1 and let it play. then when it is time to switch videos I just unpause video 2 and close video 1.
>>
>>58134512
Every action you do in life is in some way because of "hype and memes". If you were trying to call someone a charlatan, you failed.
>>
File: CObYRAvUsAA-fLz.png (345KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CObYRAvUsAA-fLz.png
345KB, 600x450px
Use the motor controller to create USB dildo server.
>>
>>58144358
that is one unflattering picture
>>
>>58134505
Retropie
>>
>>58142587
my b runs a minecraft server with 4-6 people just fine
>basically you're retarded
>>
>>58134505
Install RISC OS and learn to program in BBC BASIC
>>
>>58140458
>NES minis retail for $60
>People selling them on eBay for 3-6 times that or more

Yes. Entirely possible to find people stupid enough.
>>
>>58134505
Media Server
OpenVPN tunnel endpoint
DNS server (network wide advertisement filtering, adblock on all devices)
Mini WiFi AP (hostapd)
>>
I tried using it as a torrent machine but for unknown reasons the download throttles and dies.
I've done everything I found on Google and it seems I'm the 1% because it works for everyone except me.
>>
>>58144522
Mine did the same. I ended up putting a fan on it because it was getting incredibly hot. Doing this fixed the issue.
>>
>>58142498
That.
Is.
So.
Damn.
CUTE!!~
>>
>>58140733
Have a guide handy?
>>
>>58144539
It doesn't get hot at all though. the room I have it in is very cold and it has those heatsinks on it.
also cpu usage is low always.
I will try it though
>>
>>58141015
get in here
>>
>>58134560
That's actually good advice.
>>
>>58144500
I still don't believe >$1k
>>
>>58143366
What's so special about your project? All it looks like you're doing is combining 2 data sets which you can do on any computer.
>>
>>58134560
>>58145143

Actually it is terrible advice since those battery packs don't support charging and discharging at the same time.
>>
>>58144575
In a terminal run:

vcgencmd measure_temp

to see the actual temperature on a pi
>>
>>58134562
1600 yen maybe. Fuck off
>>
>>58145901
Fuck off idiot
>>
>>58140985
Totally off topic, but what made you choose perforce?
>>
>>58142470
Not always.
>>
File: IMG_0021.jpg (513KB, 750x732px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0021.jpg
513KB, 750x732px
>>
>>58145401
Isn't rpi "any computer"? Also with very low power consumption, so... perfect for this application?
>>
>>58145401
What two data sets?
>>
>>58138960
>there are better less shit alternatives
Good luck trying to do anything when there is no community to write guides for anything.
>>
>>58147292
FR24 and ADS-B are both publicly available flight tracking sites that plot planes on a map. All it looks like you're doing is adding both their data together.

No seriously, what the fuck is the point of your project?

>>58147287
The main advantage of the raspberry pi is portability and capability to interface with physical objects at a low level. This "project", assuming it's legitimate, is as of right now a complete waste with no reason to exist. Other anons are right to be suspicious that it's a malware link in disguise.
>>
>>58147953
>needing guides
>>
>>58143366
Your website isn't even online
>>
>>58148026
Damn you really are retarded. First of all ADS-B is not a website moron, it's the name of a technology being used by planes to transmit information about themselves using radio for other planes and air traffic controllers to see them. I'm literally receiving those radio waves and decoding them in real time, plotting the approximate position on a Google map.

Also I said I FEED FR24. Meaning they use my data to power their website, not me using their data to power my project.
>>
>>58134505
Used them in my Advanced Operating Systems class. They ran simple Rasbian. We made a few modifications to the Linux kernel, final project being adding binary code-singing (we leveraged the module signing already in place in 4.4, just extending exec to tap into that system).
Lot of fun, great little device. Can't believe how fast it is. And 4 cores! But still, compiling the Kernel took like 1.5 hours each fuckin time.
>>
>>58138999
A lot of those guides apply to the alternatives as well.

Just like you can use the Arch wiki to help with other builds.
>>
>>58148026
>This "project", assuming it's legitimate, is as of right now a complete waste with no reason to exist.

Wow you are dense. Read something about how fr24 works and come back when you know something about anything.
>>
>>58143078
LibreELEC is boss, minimal fucking around needed plus its tiny.
>>
>>58138751

This.
>>
Is attached to my tv and displays a grafana dashboard (hosted on my server) in kiosk mode. It is for displaying weather data pulled from a netatmo into influxdb.
>>
>>58150106
On a side note, does anyone know an embeddable weather radar?
>>
>>58136393
this
can even switch between both with just a single button press
>>
I have a OBD-II and monochrome LCD screen connected to a Raspi 2B for in-car info. Want to eventually have it replace the radio alltogether, so ordered a 3B, but now thinking it might not be enough (RAM, mostly). Radxa seems good, but not sure how the support & community are.
>>
>>58142498
what kind of power cable do I need for that ? shall I really buy a whole power supply unit for that ?
>>
Made a "dumb" TV into a smart TV that's not a security threat
>>
>>58134505
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/cuz-rpis-are-too-expensive/1553371_32761500374.html
>>
Why hasn't anybody come up with a hybrid that is the best of RPi and Arduino?

It's 2016, for fuck's sake. We have tech now.
>>
>>58134505
garbage tbqh

my robot doesn't need a headphone jack or hdmi out or the linux operating system

anything this could possibly be used for would be better off using a custom board instead

guess its cool for starving kids in africa like it was designed for tho
>>
>>58134505
some niggas want it as a file server, i prefer exim for a mail server, transmission-daemon for torrents, and darkhttpd for web server

also, get kodi/xbmc and listen to online radio and watch movies yo dawg
>>
>>58134505
Pi Hole
>>
>>58151165
What the fuck does this even mean
Microprocessors and microcontrollers are extremely different products for a reason
>>
>>58142498
It does not have RAM and it needs a standard 24 pin PSU. So it's not just +10$. And it will be much larger than rpi.
>>
>>58140734
In my experience if you point the fan the other way it does not affect the temperature but you get much less dust inside.
>>
>>58145901

Some do. I had an Anker 5600mAh that did. You have to check comments on the retail sites to see if anyone mentions it for the model you're interested in.
>>
>>58143362
Like SJWs ever used a lot of processing power...
>>
>>58147067
That's less portable than a regular laptop.
>>
>>58151580
Put both of them on the same PCB. Let them communicate.
>>
>>58153583

This guy gets it.
... or should we all go back to discrete TTL logic chips and linear 5V power supplies?
>>
honestly the CHIP is a significantly better solution for a lot of (headless) tasks these days. much more is broken out on the board, comes with storage, wifi, and bluetooth onboard, and is already compatible with li-ion batteries. only downside is no HDMI by default, but for use in projects it's quite a bit cheaper and easier to use.
>>
>>58151250
>my robot doesn't need a headphone jack or hdmi out or the linux operating system
>anything this could possibly be used for would be better off using a custom board instead
no shit, but that's significantly more expensive than just using an rpi.
>>
>>58141125
>and just meme the Pi for small projects
>just meme the Pie
>meme
Damn man, that feel when you ironically use 'meme' so much that it becomes a part of your unironic vocabulary...
>>
>>58134562
>$_$
excuse me for a minute
>>
>>58151954
>>58150394
Yep, you need a PSU.

You can pretty much just raid old computers that were about to be thrown away for that though. It doesn't have 4-pin CPU power and it uses around 10W, so literally any ATX PSU works.

RAM should set you back 10 bucks, yeah.

And it's bigger, but it's much more versatile and powerful.
>>
>>58151165
PCDuino
>>
>>58138894
Any resources on how to these?
>>
>>58147024
Game development
>>
>>58134505
Is raspberry pi libre yet?
>>
>>58147067
>composite video

This man should be brutally tortured
>>
File: Mondial Hipster 1.png (303KB, 767x445px) Image search: [Google]
Mondial Hipster 1.png
303KB, 767x445px
>>58156288
>>
>>58134505
Entertainment center and retro gaming console are the most common uses
>>
>>58163785
Nope, it always had binary blobs at the boot from (micro)SD stage.
>>
>>58165272
kek The Raspberry Pi 3 has a fucking custom SoC yet they didn't make any significant changes except the CPU. If they had added native SATA 6gbits and 1gbit ethernet only then would I actually consider buying one.
>>
>>58134505

Emulation. My endgame is pic related. For now it has just two gamepads and with Retropie I can emulate everything I need.
>>
File: ass.jpg (62KB, 537x662px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
62KB, 537x662px
>>58165840
Of course forgot the pic.
>>
>>58134505
Hydraulic space ship doors
>>
>>58150195
Through what means are you accomplishing this?
>>
>>58165840
The Pi is too slow for good quality emulation.
>>
>>58134505
is it of any use to a consumer?
what is the limit of this thing?
can it run windows 10?
>>
>>58134505
>set to output at 240p
>use hdmi>vga converter
>hook up to jamma board
>install lakka image on sd
instant arcade emulator.

>>58136393
>retropie
fuck you.
>>
>>58166802
>is it of any use to a consumer?
v3 can browse the web just fine
>what is the limit of this thing?
videos in html5 are kinda a limit, but with osmc you can watch videos from hdd just fine
>can it run windows 10?
yes it can, there is actually version just for the pi.
>>
Windows 10
>>
Pi hole, light control, garage control, temp control
>>
I make raspberry pi media players and sell them for a massive profit, just a 64gb SD card and a wifi dongle, sell for $150
>>
Honest question from a non-Pi owner

It's my understanding they're decently capable little machines now, on par with old Atoms

How the hell do they get away with no heatsink, not even a passive one?
>>
>>58167409
who the hell buys them, and where do you sell them? ebay?

>>58167487
Same way how cpu in cell phones don't have heatsinks.
>>
>>58167500
But the CPUs in cellphones (at least metal ones) just use the case for passive cooling, the Pi is straight up bare chip
>>
>>58167500
Normies in town and on eBay, people love them, small, shiny black box and it just werkz
>>
>>58147067
that is super retarded, why would someone think this is a good idea?
>>
>>58167487
I got 2 heatsinks on my pi m8
>>
>>58134505

shadowsocks
squid
SSH
>>
Does anybody make a water cooled heat cap for a RaBbi ?
>>
>>58167563
There's no reason you couldn't DIY one

Better idea: mineral oil immersion cooling
>>
>>58167514
Interesting, what media player do you put on there? Why don't people just roku or something of that nature?
>>
>>58140458
>people are still using vacuum valves for sound system in 2016
you can find always a market for everything
>>
>>58167409

What OS / software? Got any pics of the interface?

t. normie with too much cash
>>
When paired with an RFID scanner its an incredibly effective attachment to my restaraunt's POS scanner.
>>
>>58167687
I use XMBC and Popcorn Time, also I'm a respected tech guy in town so I'm like "hey, use this instead". Also it's a bit more useful than a Roku
>>
>>58167724

Restaurant*
>>
>>58167726
which cases do you get? might do this in my shithole.
>>
>>58167721
Slightly modified XMBC and xfce, has web browser and shit too, I'll check when I get home
>>58167742
http://www.vilros.com/piano-black-case-for-raspberry-pi-3-case.html
Expensive but makes it look well made and legit
>>
>>58167760
>Expensive but makes it look well made and legit
yeah i get you, aesthetics is just as important to normies, thanks
>>
>>58167774
Exactly, hence why I can charge quite a bit, the Apple strategy
>>
>>58167789

>the Apple strategy

on a raspberry pi

kek
>>
>>58167789
Gotta look professional enough for them to trust it, too bad OSMC/XBMC doesn't have any working netflix app, normies eat that shit up like flies to a dogshit.
>>
>>58167835
Popcorn time setup with alternative sources works just as well
>>
>>58167834
If it works, why not make more?
>>
>>58167853
Ever tried putting android on them so you can lure them in with apps and games? maybe add a joystick too.
>>
>>58167363
maybe in a few more years they can replace a 2008 gaming pc
>>
I let my brother lean C using my PI and use it to scrape 4chan.
>>
>>58167906
or maybe i should better say a 2004 gaming pc, heh
>>
>>58167890
I'll look into that, thanks man
>>
>>58138894
Elaborate about your watering system.
>>
>>58168095

Yeah, and post your address as well.
>>
>>58134505
Nothing. Didn't buy one. Not one of these people who buy things and not know what to do.
>>
>>58167760
>Expensive
fuck me, I don't even live in burgerland and that doesn't look expensive at all, is everyone browsing /g/ this poor?
>>
>>58168182
For an rPi case, it is from what I've seen. And I'm not poor by any stretch of the word
>>
>>58168182

Well, many of them are NEETs or high schoolers LARPing. Then again, there are people here who make mid-six figures.
>>
$9 for some black plastic case is kinda steep but yeah i agree, it's not very expensive.

Everyone on /g/ is prolly a neet lul
>>
File: 4d7.png (825KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
4d7.png
825KB, 700x700px
>>58140904
>>
>>58168201
I know you can find way cheaper pi cases, but that one particularly doesn't look bad and if it provides easy access like other I've seen, the price isn't bad.

>>58168203
>>58168219
Also I guess you can get cheaper shit all around in burgerland and most poorfa/g/s roaming here can stretch that paycheck easily.
>>
File: 1481757467341.jpg (43KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481757467341.jpg
43KB, 480x600px
>>58142587
>being this cynical
>>
>>58168250
I know I can get cheaper ones, but the case looks good to normies and they eat aesthetically pleasing shit up all day
>>
File: poorfag.png (282KB, 1238x798px) Image search: [Google]
poorfag.png
282KB, 1238x798px
>>58168182
$9 for a piece of plastic is pretty expensive. You can get most pi cases on ebay for a little over a dollar (picture related).
>>
>>58168393

Any of those cases EM shielded?

I used to work for an engineering plastics compounder. Add more than 2.2% carbon to Nylon-6 makes it conductive and EM shielded. More is generally better, but just above 2% is the magic number. We sold a lot of EM shielded resin to Tier-1 automotive suppliers for car ECU cases.
>>
>>58168435
no idea honestly
>>
>>58140458
>>58139042
Probably pesos. That's like $80. Seems reasonable
>>
>>58165917
Did you buy one of these kits? So damn tempting
>>
>>58134505
I'm thinking about using one as a local DNS server because why the fuck not, it should speed up the browsing experience a lot.

But I wouldn't have any other uses for it, so I haven't got one yet. Maybe the pi zero is perfect for my needs, I even have these micro USB to USB adapters flying around because I got a ton of these a few years back for a few cents.

Gave them away as well and blew minds that way, can recommend 100%.
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.