[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TFW no good Linux distros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 17

File: Tux.svg.png (569KB, 2000x2357px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.svg.png
569KB, 2000x2357px
Ubuntu:
>good support and high user base but bloated as fuck with amazon spyware

Arch:
>Minimalist and highly customizable with great wiki but pacman is a heap of shit that breaks for no reason and has the second worst installation process next to Gentoo

Mint:
>User-friendly and good for winfags but insecure as shit and also bloated

Fedora:
>User-friendly and secure with minimal bloat but shills free software to no end and fucks over AMD users.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>58132138
I've used Arch for 3 years and I've yet to experience this mythical system breakage.
>>
File: 1477502917559.png (136KB, 500x318px) Image search: [Google]
1477502917559.png
136KB, 500x318px
>>58132138
Use Xubuntu fagget
>>
pacman hasn't break me anything in 5 years of usage. I don't know where "pacman -Syu breks ur pc breh" meme is coming from.
If installation process bothers you, install Antergos.
>>
How is mint insecure? I'm curious.
>>
>>58132138
Gr8 b8 m8.

>Ubuntu: good support and high user base but bloated as fuck with amazon spyware
Use Ubuntu Mate
>Mint: User-friendly and good for winfags but insecure as shit and also bloated
Not bloated, and also not insecure as shit. Show me an example of a computer being hacked because someone didn't get an immediate update.

I've never used Arch or Fedora, so I won't comment on them.
>>
>>58132138
Ubuntu minimal install and now fuck off
>>
>>58132237
In February a mint iso was uploaded with spyware
>>
>>58132237
Its not.
>>58132292
it was fixed. drop it.
>>
>>58132292
not very long tho
>>
File: baby-chameleon-wallpaper-2.jpg (148KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
baby-chameleon-wallpaper-2.jpg
148KB, 1920x1200px
>>58132138
openSUSE
best of all worlds
>>
>>58132138

Void Linux
>>
>>58132673
Not OP but I'm tempted to try Void Linux in a VM, but everyone on /g/ tells me it's a bad distro and a meme.
>>
>>58132192
This, but I'm only at 1 or 2 years. Things are pretty stable.
>>
I use Arch, but you won't believe my claims in defense of it anyway, so instead I'll tell you to try Ubuntu minimal. It'll be easier than a vanilla Arch install, but similarly barren to a fresh Arch install. If you want a GUI, you'll have to install xorg and a wm/de of choice.
>>
>>58132685
It's a meme, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.
>>
>>58132138
Ubuntu is kinda bloated but it runs fine on modern devices with 4GB+ RAM
Amazon spyware is not a thing since Xenial
>>
>>58132138
You left out Debian.
The good Linux distro.

Most people wind up on Debian or Arch eventually.
>>
>>58132856
People with jobs use Debian and people with too much free time use Arch.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1024x768px
What about solus? Its totally original and looks pretty cool. Im making the switch to linux for the first time and deciding between this and mint
>>
>>58132138
>pacman breaks
>pacman, a simple, high quality package manager that is written in plain c has a meme about breaking
>not portage, a hacked together script of a package manager, which is written in python
"muh gentoo meme"
>>
File: nm.png (11KB, 658x413px) Image search: [Google]
nm.png
11KB, 658x413px
>>58132138
>Ubuntu
>bloated as fuck
>amazon spyware
nice meme
>>
>>58132138
I see you haven't tried Solus yet.
That explains your flawed judgement
>>
>>58132633
Fucking this.

These bait lists always ignore openSUSE, or the best you get is le epic pepe maymay.
>>
>>58132856
all the stories with arch having problems is scaring me. I might go with debian to start
>>
>>58132292
>torrent was still fine
>not using the torrent, ever
>their download got hax0red
>still has literally nothing to do with the OS itself
>>
>>58132902
Spotted the idiot that can't install Arch despite all the documentation and tutorials
>>
>>58132138
TFW (((linux)))

yeah, i know.

do it from scratch and tell the gentoo goobers to BTFO
>>
>>58133217
I'm old.
Using Debian just makes life easier.
>>
>>58133000
Codecs are still pain in the ass.
>>
Come to BSD and *nix
>>
>>58133215
They hold back kernels updates and blacklist security patches in the name of stability. They butcher Firecucks' profile to insert their adware. They provide their own butchered package repo that tends to create package conflicts and broken systems. They're building their own apps against an ancient, unsupported toolkit and other libs (forget wayland and security). The site hack is just a mirror image of their bad practices. Don't be a fool!
>>
>>58133391
BSD IS FUCKING GARBAGE KYS
>>
>>58133399
grow up you child
>>
>>58132138
>Fedora:
>>User-friendly and secure with minimal bloat but shills free software to no end and fucks over AMD users.

Looks perfect to me since they are not using a real computer
>>
>>58133217
Spotted the Archtoddler. Are you a cool hacker yet?
>>
Slackware
>>
>>58132192
Ya thought the same and had the a perfect record with updates until a nvidia update broke my gl-libs a few times. Other then that arch IMO is pretty stable .
>>
>>58133419
GNU is life.
>>
>>58133391
Bless you based Anon!

BSD
S
D
>>
>>58133391
>use the same software on something that barely tested with because posix hurr durr
No thanks. Even basement dwellers need some stability.
>>
>>58132940
Solus is fine. If you're on a desktop get solus (has some difficulties with WiFi drivers for laptops) if you are using a laptop bet mint.
>>
>>58132147
Fpbp
>>
File: bait.gif (1MB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
bait.gif
1MB, 400x254px
>>58132138
fuck off
>>
>>58133501
I have no stability issues I don't know what you mean, please expand
>>
>>58132713
>xorg
when will this meme die?
>>
>>58132633
>openSUSE
really? YaST is cancer and should be avoided at all cost.
>>
>>58133000
>These bait lists always ignore openSUSE, or the best you get is le epic pepe maymay.
opensuse is shit
>>
>>58133370
Adding packman and getting the codecs takes all of a minute.
>>
>>58132138
>Mint:
>Insecure
prove this without that old meme
>>
>>58133612
>takes all of a minute.
>not seconds
Dropped. :^)
>>
>>58133651
So yeah, exactly as I said. No worthwhile argument against the distro.
>>
>>58132673
I meant to say avoid linux, sorry.
>>
>>58133560
>I have no stability issues
Good for you, but it won't help.
>>
>>58133510
>totally original
>systemd
>x
>no wayland
>totally not a ukranian botnet
>>
>>58133663
Yast2 is became shit, default partinioning is shit.
>>
>>58133710
Try using mutter-wayland with proprietary drivers and come back to me.
>>
File: 1482231480240.png (3MB, 2048x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1482231480240.png
3MB, 2048x1714px
>tfw too smart not to use debian
>>
>No mageia
>No Rosa
>No centos
>No slackware
>No Alpine
>No OpenSuse

Et c et c
>>
>>58133635
See
>>58133397
>>
debian literally has no flaws
>>
>>58133813
debian just straight up not worked when i tried. on the other hand I've had literally 0 problems with manjaro
>>
Ubuntu can be unbloated. Or just install ubuntu server and then install Gnome or something separately
>>
>>58132138
I have the same problem. Every DE comes with a shit ton of packages that I don't want and I can't be fucked uninstalling them manually not knowing if I am breaking other dependencies.

I install Debian core but then I can't seem to figure out how to get a minimal install of KDE or Gnome3 without their pre-packaged crap.

I can't use i3 and openbox because I take my autism meds daily, it won't work.
>>
>>58132977
How you get 700? I used minimal installer and then selected Xubuntu desktop. I start off 2000 packages.
>>
i know im not supposed to use /g/ as tech support site but jesus christ google is not helping me and im hoping someone will help.

i know absolutely fucking nothing about linux but i want to learn so i downloaded solus. i didnt want ubuntu or mint that hold your hand, i want to get in balls deep and actually learn.

i cannot figure out how to install a program. i downloaded slimjet web browser because it looks right up my alley. i have the .tar.xz package and then i extracted it. but dont know where to go. i looked up "installing slimjet to linux". i got close with ./flashpeak-slimjet and then it said there was no such file or directory. i tried looking up how to install programs on solus.

im just totally lost. maybe im being too ambitious but it cant be *that* hard. im just not finding the appropriate tutorial for a total beginner like myself.
>>
>>58133882
KDE: apt install KDE-standard
>>
>>58133947
Great i will try that in VM first.
>>
Debian is literally the best Linux distro. I once owned a server (Tor Middle Relay) that ran Debian and it was stable as hell (no crashes, no stupid reboots required for updates) and not to mention how easy it was to manage the server. I stopped running the Tor node the next month due to my ISP raising the price on bandwidth.
>>
>>58133882
>Gnome
Install Gnome Shell only.
On Arch there is gnome-shell package, but you need to uninstall one or two more packages, if my memory serves me correctly.
>>
>>58133969
How do I make the DE and X start on boot? It takes me to a CLI login screen. After that I have to manually start X each session.
>>
>>58133961
join the KDE brotherhood. gnome can keep their wannabe tablet UI.
>>
>>58133973
Add this:
[ -z "$DISPLAY" -a "$(fgconsole)" -eq 1 ] && exec startx

to your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.zprofile (if you're using zsh).
>>
>>58134029
>[ -z "$DISPLAY" -a "$(fgconsole)" -eq 1 ] && exec startx

This will work on Debian as well?
>>
>>58134029
>>58134034
THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR HOME PARTITION
>>
>>58134034
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=123694

>>58134057
How can:
if DISPLAY variable is empty and fgconsole output equal 1 then execute startx

destroy your partition?
>>
>>58132200
Ohh fuck someone used my meme
>>
>>58132138
Ubuntu:
Just don't use unity and you are fine. Also there are minimal install disks w/o DE or WM.
Arch:
Just try not to be stupid, but yeah it's not worth the hassle.
Mint:
LOL
Fedora:
>shilling free software
Shiggidy diggidy
>>
>>58134029
someone help i ran this and it deleted my system32 folder.
>>
>>58132138
>Ubuntu:
>>good support and high user base but bloated as fuck with amazon spyware
Get ubuntu server, install the stuff you need
>Arch:
>>Minimalist and highly customizable with great wiki but pacman is a heap of shit that breaks for no reason and has the second worst installation process next to Gentoo
Nothing breaks unless you are retarded
>>
>>58132138
>with amazon spyware
We are not in 2015 anymore, m9
>>
>>58133945
Wtf is slimjet. quick Google makes it look like malware bundled shit

Generally you use a package manager for this shit but solus, whatever it's repo is called, supposedly doesn't have many stuff

Sounds like you downloaded a source. What language is it? Does it have something like waf or configure?
>>
>>58134251
its still in there though just disabled in the UI but they are tracking searches under the hood.
>>
how customizable is Debian? better than arch?
>>
>>58134241
Excuse me Mr KDE Shill, can I ask why you prefer Fedora over Debian? I've seen you post in favour of Fedora a few times, I'm not advanced enough to use Arch yet, but love KDE.
>>
>>58133945
>i know absolutely fucking nothing about linux
>i cannot figure out how to install a program.
>im just totally lost.

you're new. this is what being new feels like.

swim, or sink, just don't post about it on /g/
>>
>>58134278
well i made a bit of progress in the right direction. the directions say this " Extract the archive into any folder you choose. Run the wrapper script "flashpeak-slimjet" from the terminal for the first time to enable the sand box (admin access required). After that, you can run the wrapper script from a desktop shortcut." i get to the point of trying to enable the sandbox before i get stuck. i press 1 to use sudo command, enter my password which doesnt actually show up and then i hit enter and get the error.
>>
>>58134384

Your password not showing up when you type it is normal, and good practice

I know kevin's flashy viral marketing made solus seem great, and maybe it will be, but it is simply not a beginner distro.

Try ubuntu and debian, where they have 100s of youtube help videos on every beginner topic
>>
They're literally all the same :-)
>>
Having used Arch since 2009 I don't remember pacman ever seriously breaking. I remember having to manually uninstall and install some packages according to instructions on Arch's news, or experiencing some broken (bugged) packages that got in the repos (and most times you could fix that with a rollback while the mainteners fixed it upstream), but nothing nearly as serious as what you'd experience on a portage breakage.

Recently (as in the last 3 years or so) pacman's become even more reliable, I don't even remember when was the last time an update needed intervention.
>>
>>58132138
>has the second worst installation process next to Gentoo
>Implying partitioning and installing base packages is difficult.

>>58134240
>Running bash script on Command Prompt.
>>
I've been using Fedora and the bleeding edge is shitting my GPU support. How is Debian in that regards? I just want a workstation that doesn't shit itself when I play a video.
My GPU is an ATI Radeon 4200
>>
>>58134586
That is nothing to do with being up to date, it's because you are using the open source drivers, switch to proprietary for a smoother experience, you will need RPM Fusion enabled to do this
>>
>>58134603
I can't switch. The legacy drivers for my GPU are for kernel > 3.6 or some shit, and I've got kernel 4.8 or something.
You guys will shun me, but I like playing some games in Steam, and since I've upgraded to F25 from F23, it always freezes or shits itselfs randomly, and I used open source drivers with F23.
>>
>>58134603
My ded question in Fedora' ask:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/97735/steam-freezing-with-fedora-25probably-gpu-issues/
>>
>>58132138
>>good support and high user base but bloated as fuck

xubuntu/kubuntu are ubuntu without the bloat

so there you have it
>>
>>58134652
i cant open pdf files on xubuntu without crashing half of xfce DE
>>
File: fedora25vm.png (34KB, 804x632px) Image search: [Google]
fedora25vm.png
34KB, 804x632px
Rookie Linux user going with Fedora for a Linux system admin course. Getting numerous errors when trying to install in a VM. Pic related is the bottom of the attempted install, obviously there is more info I can't fit into a single image.

Is something wrong with the ISO or my VM settings? I'm allotting 4gb RAM, 60gb memory, and 1 core for the VM. Additionally I'm mildly familiar with VMware and have used it to tinker with Ubuntu and Debian, neither of which gave me any issues like this.
>>
>>58132138
Try these next: Ubuntu Mate, ZorinOS, solus, openSUSE, apricity, Sabayon, rosa, Mageia.
You'll find your soul mate soon, anon.
>>
>>58132192
I've literally only broken arch when --force ing system packages to see what happens
>>
File: kevnet.jpg (145KB, 1332x598px) Image search: [Google]
kevnet.jpg
145KB, 1332x598px
>>58135021
Mfw people actually falling for my Solus meme
>>
>>58134342
Debian is okay but I like Fedora's delta builds. Furthermore I like how Fedora's RPM Fusion handles non-free packages. If you want non-free stuff included experience use Korora (a bit bloated) but you still get the latest packages with minimum breakages.

Fedora is not my favourite distro, OpenSUSE is. Both these distros are up to date with the latest Linux technologies.
>>
>>58135045
>system inspired by windows
>windows 10
>"users in mind"
Doesn't compute
>>
>>58133836
When you can configure debian it:s amazing, its not noob friendly tho
>>
>>58135045
I'd probably recommend antergos or manjaro before solus and that's saying something lol. At least with those two you have the arch wiki and the manjaro forums. Baffles me how solus is so popular.
>>
Linux is not a desktop operating system!
There are two desktop use cases: 1. Home use 2. Business enterprise use
In both these cases linux falls short. In home use, software simply isn't available for many home use cases. Performance is abysmal. Permissions are confusing for laypeople. Etc. All of the server parts of the OS ruin the home user experience. In business use the OS fails to be able to interact with standard business software and groupware.

Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap. Another use case, although very narrow, is computation in the strictest sense--render farms and data processing--both of which are NOT desktop uses.

In the use case of server, linux also falls short.
Filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory. If you don't know why SAMBA is garbage then you don't have enough experience in the enterprise world.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise. There is no groupware, other than Lotus which is complete shit.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS.

Linux users-the cucks of computing.

White knighting for linux.
Jumping thru 1000 hoops in hopes to get 'the prize' build up artificial knowledgebase on how to win. Consistently cucked by the industry.
>>
>>58132138
>ubuntu
>amazon spyware
Find a better excuse faggot, ubuntu+openbox user here
>>
>>58133712
>>58133586

You don't have to install YaST and you also don't have to use the default partitioning.
>>
>>58135308
What makes you prefer openSUSE over Fedora? I love the way it integrates into KDE but I had issues with various codecs
>>
>>58132138
>pacman is a heap of shit that breaks for no reason

Wrong
>>
>>58135964
I agree that linux should not be used for desktop. But anyone who wants to do general software development should be dual booting linux. tools like GCC, Awk, sed, git, bash, make and many others make code development easy and manageable once you take the time to learn them. Every other argument about its customizability is neckbeard level reasoning.
>>
>>58132138
>pacman is a heap of shit

Stopped reading, your opinion is no longer valid, pacman is the best package manager I've ever used, way faster and more useful than apt.
>>
>>58137782
Install Packman and switch system packages done
Maybe you will have to install other gstreamer packages, but that's all you need to do
>>
>>58134648
lol guy told you what issue is. New fedora uses Wayland by default instead of xorg. Massive difference to graphical management.
>>
>>58134115
Thats actually my meme you're referring to
>>
>pacman is a heap of shit that breaks for no reason and has the second worst installation process next to Gentoo
>things that never happened

If you want Arch with an easy installer, just install Archbang faget
>>
>>58132138
WTF these talks about pacman? I'm using arch as my main OS and had 0 problems with pacman, I actually like it.

Soooo... what actually is wrong with it?
>>
>>58132138
>Bloated

I always smile when I hear people calling ANY linux distro bloated.
>>
>>58132138
Fedora is pretty great.

>shills free software to no end
What the fuck are you even talking about? Just install Fedy since you're obviously too retarded to add RPMFusion manually.
>>
>>58132138
u fckn fgt...

If you don't like the Arch installation process, use Antergos. There's literally NOTHING bad about pacman. If you don't like using the shell for pacman, use pamac (comes preinstalled with Antergos), which is the best repo browser I've seen to far in all distros...
>>
>>58135540
solus is just pretty
>>
Arch on openrc would be the great. Then the only issue would be the retards arch attracts looking for 1337 h4cker cred
>>
after half a year of linux im sick of it, going back to win xp with registry hack
>>
can someone help me with my Ubuntu boot from USB? I put the .iso on my usb drive but when i try to boot it I have to select the boot FLOPPY as the first selection in the BIOS boot order, AND THEN it doesn't even boot properly. It just says "syslinux" and a blinking cursor appears. Won't do anything else.
>>
>>58141471

sorry i meant to say i had the .iso file on my desktop and i used a program to do whatever it needs to do with the iso to put all the Ubuntu files onto my usb
>>
Been on arch for a year. Installation was fine with all the documentation, anyone with a brain can do it. And pacman has had zero issues.
>>
File: 1481909267847.jpg (282KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481909267847.jpg
282KB, 1000x1000px
>>58141426
Stop being an autist and just install Ubuntu/Fedora/Windows 10 instead of whatever 1337 distro you're using. Linux doesn't need to be hard.
>>
>>58141471
Why floppy? You're using a USB drive, not a floppy disk.
>>
>>58141697

idk man when i select usb drive as the first one in the boot order it ignores it and just goes to the HDD and launches windows :(
>>
>>58141634
This was so convicting that I cried reading it.
>>
>>58141711
Sounds like you have an old mobo which doesn't support booting from USB. Try burning the iso to a DVD and see if it boots from there.
There's a more complicated way of installing it if you can't use peripheral media (USB, CD, DVD, etc). You can actually split your HDD into 4 partitions (1 - your Windows partition, 2 - blank partition reserved for swap, 3 - blank partition reserved for Ubuntu, 4 - temporary partition where you will "burn" your iso file). when you boot your PC you should have a choice between booting into Windows or Ubuntu. Boot into Ubuntu and proceed with the installation. Make one of you partitions a swap partition and the other a root partition (or just let it do this shit for you and only use 3 partitions). Once you're done, format your live USB partition so it doesn't cause boot errors, and then you can remove it by merging it with either windows or Ubuntu for extra storage on that OS. Make sure you don't forget to format it.
Here's a step by step tutorial which I followed on my old machine: http://askubuntu.com/questions/484434/install-ubuntu-without-cd-and-usb-how

Alternatively look into these solutions http://askubuntu.com/questions/25668/can-you-install-ubuntu-from-the-hard-disk
Those seem much more simple.
>>
>>58132940
We know you are Kevin.
>>
>>58141930

if i dont have a dvd is there any other way i can do it?
>>
>>58141997
Just open the links. You can do it from your hard drive.
>>
>>58134340
You can rice Debian just as much as you can with Arch, but it gives you more to start out with.
>>
>>58132138
Your problem is you listen to /g/
>>
>>58141365
>Arch on openrc
It exists
https://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/
>>
>>58132138
Debian.
>>
>>58143099
>systemd
kys
>>
>>58143119

Options are limited then if you don't want systemd.
>>
>>58132138
Debian:
>install, use, shut the fuck up... profit
>>
>>58132138
They really need to make the install process for these things more user friendly. That alown will keep most people away.
>>
>>58143770
Literally all you need to do to install Ubuntu/Mint is to make a partition and then boot into USB and click next next next, yet some of you faggots can't stop spreading FUD about them.
>>
I mean jesus christ, do you anons actually think "muh bloat" is legitimate criticism against a distro?
>>
>>58132138
>what is gentoo
>>
>>58132147
fpbp
>>
>>58132138
Gentoo is the best distro. Not even memeing.

Possibly the fastest major distribution around. Insanely customizable, 0% bloat. Portage is the shit. Rolling release. USE flags. Great wiki, second only to Arch's. Doesn't shove systemd to your face (fuck off now Arch), but provides support if you want to use it. Great community if you're not a complete moron.

>but muh installation can take an entire day
Do it over the weekend, you only have to do it once in a lifetime anyway.
>>
Solus
>>
File: 1480129541034.png (281KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1480129541034.png
281KB, 500x377px
>>58144146

> Kevinposting
>>
>>58144061
Community is absolute dogshit actually, the only thing they ever answer ARE morons. If you're not a moron you'll get more help on #ubuntu even specifying you're a gentoo user despite the fact that #ubuntu contains the second most retardedly useless community.
>>
>>58143863
It is. Take default ubuntu 16.04 for example.
>compiz takes all ram and CPU after a while
>after unlocking the sessions, often have to ctrl+alt+f1, login, and kill it because otherwise nothing responds at all
>X randomly stops functioning in a fucked up way where the screen is completely garbled, it's not possible to switch to another tty, but the mouse works just fine (oh, and the lockscreen is dead when that happens revealing whatever your session contained to any passerbys)
>installer doesn't work if you change any of the default settings (either enters an infinite loop or just crashes)
>installer doesn't work if your base partition contains logical volumes
>have to manually apt install because the package manager frontend refuses to install anything (no error or anything, bar moves for a while, then it goes back to before you pressed the install button with nothing installed)
>deps are always broken, for example right now vim-gtk, vim-gtk3 and vim-gnome can't be installed because they require vim-core-someversion.1 instead of vim-core-someversion which is the only version in the repos
>systemd takes up 20% of cpu time every few minutes

None of this would be a problem if it wasn't a bloated piece of shit.
>>
>>58143863
but anon i want to install the 1000 packages that i'm going to use anyway on my own :^)
>>
>tfw high as fuck

should i try to install a linux OS? never done it before so ima try Ubuntu first.
>>
>>58144292
meanwhile, running debian "unstable" aka sid:
>no bugs
>no crashes
>smooth sailing
>>
is 4gb of persistent data enough?
>>
gentoo with stumpwm
>>
Ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, or Linux Mint Cinnamon are the best choices for MOST Linux users

they all "just work", have easy graphical install, come equipped with drivers that will work on almost any hardware, have plug and play monitor functionality, have the biggest userbases, best support for Steam if you like fun... i could go on and on and on
>>
>>58132138
Install Gentoo
>>
>>58132192
I've also used arch for years and the "breaks all the time" meme was very real to me.
>>
>>58132292
They hacked the site once, for a short time, affecting only people who downloaded the image directly from the site and didn't verify the hash. I fail to see how that would affect the security of the actual distro, though.
>>
>>58147863
What would break?
I've been using arch since ~2013 so I missed out on all the old shit with arch not signing packages and breaking X every update.
I also use a proprietary driver for my graphics card and that would break infrequently --- but that's only because it wasn't open source.
>>
>>58143770
It's literally
>insert USB/DVD
>click next
That's it. Windows is installed the same way.
>>
>ubuntu
perfectly fine stable distro and has been for years
>arch
Good if you have at least 8 years of linux experience otherwise no
>Mint
This is just ubuntu you don't know what you are talking about op
>Fedora
Perfectly good stable distro and has been for years

You're forgetting:
>openSUSE
>Debian

And our cousin
>freeBSD
not to mention mac which is Unix

And now
>windows
with the windows subsystem for Linux
>>
>>58133397
You got sources for that?
>>
>>58144292
You forget how
>opening a video game full-screen in a resolution non-native to your PC freezes it, fucks up your screen and forces you to restart
This is why Windows is still better for muh games.
Also
>no right click >make new file, on 16.10
>zero customization, forcing you to use Unity tweak tool and sometimes terminal
>terrible settings menu, 5% the size of Windows settings/control panel
>>
>>58148503
>>terrible settings menu, 5% the size of Windows settings/control panel
and yet with a couple command line entries you have access to 50% more settings
>>
>>58132138
Debian
>>
>>58148539
There's no reason not to integrate those commands into settings, at least basic ones. It's much easier to search for a setting within the OS and make a click or two than it is to search for an appropriate command on Google, copy it and hope it works as intended.
And there are distros with a larger number of settings, so this isn't loonix vs winshit. Ubuntu is advertised as "best user friendly distro" and yet it fails to deliver things some things other distros do.
>>
>>58132237
devs doesn't include some security patch for the sake of stability.
>>
xubuntu is literally ubuntu without the bloat
>>
>>58132138
Pajeet here. Recently installed arch. Loving it.
Installation was not too hard as you say. Getting mouse trackpad to work was a bit tricky.
>>
>>58132192
i've had arch on a few machines for about a year now and on one of them it completely broke. all browsers segfault, then it wont boot after update. runs fine on the other two though.
>>
>>58132138
Have you tried puppy linux?
Very fast, run from RAM.
Very light on resources.
Support SFS module.
Can be installed to USB drive and run from there.
Backup and restore is very easy.
No sudo
>>
>>58132138
Manjaro OpenRC netinstall
>Wayland
>KDE
>latest linux-libre 4.9 kernel
>no systemd
>ALSA without pulse shit
>never breaks
>appimages for most of my applications
you literally cannot lose
>>
>>58148649
>appimages for most of my applications
Elaborate on this.
I've been using manjaro for a while now and it's quite decent.
Can't tell why /g/ hate it.
>inb4 SSL
>>
>>58148677
Appimages are a way to get software without having to install anything and you can just download it from the original software developer and run it like that, good projects like Kdenlive and Krita use appimages and there's a whole database with a shit ton of them.
>go to website
>linux download
>either a shitty package file that requires a bunch of obscure dependencies or a source code package with millions of deps
>windows and mac have proper installers
that's why I like appimage, i'm just waiting for someone to make an installer version of appimage, then installing and configuring software would be retarded easy like it is Windows
>>
>>58148649
KDE works on Wayland now?
>>
>>58148742
https://github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/wiki/AppImages
That's neat.
Why doesn't this go mainstream?
>>
>>58148955
it has been working on wayland for a while now, runs seamlessly with it
>>
Install Funtoo
Seriously it's great.
>>
>>58134316
proofs?
>>
>>58149696
How much better is it than regular gentoo? Have you tried calculate as well/

I installed it the other day but haven't done much beyond that. The handbook will sometimes explain things really well and other times just skip over some extremely important details. Also what's with installing via liveUSB being a whole ordeal, with the handbook geared towards CD? Same for using wifi to install vs having an ethernet connection. I know it's geared towards people who know what they are doing but still.

being able to flag stuff is pretty nice though. I might install it again and really get stuck into the keernel flags and fine tune everything, but chip away at it over a few weeks instead of trying to do it all at once like I did yesterday and wind up wiht a headache.
>>
>>58149824
I haven't tried Calculate. I looked into it once, but it didn't look like a mature distro at the time.

The differences between gentoo and guntoo are minimal. A big advantage used to be that portage on funtoo supported git, but I think gentoo does too nowadays.
A couple reasons to prefer funtoo:
-It's a bit more stable
-During the install you can opt for using a precompiled debian kernel. Great for newbies who aren't keen on compiling the kernel themselves or if you just want to be set up quickly.
-Uses a more flexible variant of the gentoo profile system
>>
>>58132138
>Debian
You're welcome
>>
>>58148503
Those aren't linux-related, just ubugu related. For example, my gentoo + mate setup has precisely none of these problems.
>>
>>58149824
Not him, and I found gentoo to be better. You don't actually much benefit from the extra profiles (each mixin usually corresponds to a single change of use flag which is trivial to do yourself, especially since it tracks a very limited set of use cases), debian-sources are worse than gentoo-sources on average (e.g. you don't have hardened debian-sources even though there's a hardened funtoo image which only ships with debian-sources, and other patchsets like tuxonice also only apply to gentoo-sources), the boot config system only ever gives me a pretty broken and hard to customize grub.cfg, etc.

One thing that is undeniably better, however, is git-based sync. Ridiculously faster than rsync-based.
>>
>>58149954
>-During the install you can opt for using a precompiled debian kernel. Great for newbies who aren't keen on compiling the kernel themselves or if you just want to be set up quickly.

You can just use genkernel all to compile it though right? I mean, you still have to wait for it to compile but it's more or less the same thing.
>>
>>58149998
Where did the posts imply they were Linux related? Read them again, they were all Ubuntu related.
>>
>>58150357
>This is why Windows is still better for muh games.
>>
>>58148503
Hasn't been true for years.
Screen doesn't even flicker it just opens the game.
At least on Nvidia.
>>
>>58132138
> bloated as fuck with amazon spyware
install some lubuntu or xubuntu

you get the same support without bloat and bullshit

and I'd still recommend Mint for people coming from Windows, it's easy and every app is ready right there
>>
File: solus.is.the.new.gentoo.png (2MB, 800x3400px) Image search: [Google]
solus.is.the.new.gentoo.png
2MB, 800x3400px
>>58132147
Solus > All
>>
File: Banner_logo_Puppy.png (29KB, 530x170px) Image search: [Google]
Banner_logo_Puppy.png
29KB, 530x170px
>>58150506
Why puppy linux isn't there?
>>
>>58150506
>Kernel 2.6
>37m uptime
lol nice hidden jab at Solus.
>>
>>58150618
That's like asking why coreos isn't there.
>>
>>58132138
>Ubuntu:
>>good support and high user base but bloated as fuck with amazon spyware
translated:
>I'm a fucking retard who doesn't know how to use a package manager to add/remove packages
>>
>>58150853
If only the package manager had been working past 2015.
>>
>>58150888
apt-get has been the same thing for decades.
stop trying to justify your ignorance. go RTFM
>>
>>58150801
Then are you implying puppy linux is perfect?
>>
>>58133894
The Xubuntu desktop installs all XFCE default applications plus dependencies. If you install with no DE then add the base XWM and XFCE utils it will be much less than Xubintu desktop default
>>
>>58132138
>not using SuSe
>>
File: linux_Solus_1481081304742.png (133KB, 750x623px) Image search: [Google]
linux_Solus_1481081304742.png
133KB, 750x623px
>>58132138
> no good Linux distros

First big, red flag indicating user error. Or, in your case OP, massive user retardation.

It's OKay. You can use something else. No need for you to be shitting in the linux community.

Thank you for improving the signal-to-noise ratio.
>>
>>58150984
Puppy linux is an answer that needs a question.
>>
How fucked am I if I have a clean hard drive and want to install Linux but my BIOS won't let me boot from USB? Guess I need to get a CD now
>>
>>58152965
You need a compatible install medium, e.g. bios + bios USB or uefi + uefi USB. There's often an option to enable non-uefi boot in uefi bioses.
>>
>>58132138
Debian is a thing. Spinoff distros add shit.

If you cannot customize an install to your liking, you are lazy. Buy a Mac.
>>
>>58132685
>but everyone on /g/ tells me it's a bad distro and a meme.

Try it in a VM and stop getting Linux advice from teentard aspie cunts. Enterprise shits all over hobbyfag NEET shitposters as a reference.
>>
>>58134805
>i cant open pdf files on xubuntu without crashing half of xfce DE

Interesting. I've been opening them for years without difficulty. Determine, remove and reinstall relevant packages would be the first thin I'd try.

I use Synaptic for finding dependencies.
>>
>>58135964
It's worked fine on my desktops since ~2002. I've used Linux since 1999.

If you don't like it, don't use it. See how easy that was? Why are you here?
>>
>>58141489
>i used a program to do whatever it needs to do with the iso to put all the Ubuntu files onto my usb

Know WHICH program. End the stupid habit of not making specific detailed posts. No reason exists to type "a program" you mong.

Computers, even Windows computers, use specific programs in specific ways for specific tasks. If on Windows, Rufus is free and works well. Use it to reload your USB flash drive with your .iso of choice. It should boot nicely unless your PC is so ancient that it has problems with some USB flash drives. For them, I keep a CF card adapter and a USB CF card reader. I use the reader to load the card like any other USB flash device, transfer the card to my adapter. (many PATA and SATA adapters are available for dirt cheap, see Ebay) then toss the adapter into the PC or notebook.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
>>
You can, and I have, remove your target drive from a PC which won't boot from USB and connect it to another PC to load Linux. Reinstall drive, do any additional config and enjoy.

I keep an old T61 for loading OS along with USB PATA and SATA adapters.
>>
File: 14826088163931664005041.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
14826088163931664005041.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
>>58153087

This is what I'm getting. Wtf
>>
>>58153672
Year, make and model of machine you are trying to boot?
>>
>>58153813

It's an HP pavilion from 2011. I'm thinking I need to legacy boot.
>>
File: suspicious chameleon.jpg (168KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
suspicious chameleon.jpg
168KB, 1280x853px
>>58132192
>>58132209
It doesn't break much if you're not installing half the AUR's shit like a headless chicken. Besides that there's little wrong with it.

>>58132633
But seriously, this. I've been using openSUSE more than anything else, and has always been my fallback distro in case another one fucks up. Also objectively the best distro if you want a KDE desktop.

>>58132685
Void linux is a bit like Arch but with outdated packages. No systemd though.
>>
>>58141983
That's not Kevin's monitor
>>
>>58132138
>Fedora:
>>User-friendly and secure with minimal bloat but shills free software to no end and fucks over AMD users.
How does it shill free software? If you are talking about lack of codecs, well they are very easy to install, you don't even have to use the terminal.
And how do they fuck over AMD users?
>>
>>58132138
>amazon spyware
Well memed.
>>
>>58153937

Ok wow so it looks like legacy boot and the advanced settings are locked on my bios. I have f.1b
>>
>>58132138
debian or arch anywhere
>>
>>58148585
I'm sure that 95 percent of average users won't need those settings. The command line options are there for people who do and know what their doing more or less. Most people don't even know CMD exists
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.